• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m so sick of the current day multiplayer experiences

THEAP99

Banned
Which game studio do you think would be able to develop an authentically raw mature adult fully complete multiplayer experience free from micro transactions and E-Sports/streamer garbage today?

So examples of what I’m annoyed about are games like the following:
  • Rogue Company
  • Valorant
  • Overwatch
  • Apex
  • Hyper Scape
  • Possibly Halo Infinite now even as it’s going F2P and likely following these models
The pile of these type of games just keep growing larger and larger. Some of them did flop though like lawbreakers & rocket arena, crycibke

It’s just like all these games seem to be following the same pattern of
GAAS stuff with cringe skins and stuff that people just like to have such as dab taunts.. being promoted by streamers that have fans that wanna be just like them and so pseudo competitive.. etc. I’m sure you know what I’m referring to.

People enjoy spending money on these things clearly and that’s why they these type of games keep getting made..which is fine..

But like I’m just so sick of it. Like when will we ever get a fully shipped/finished multiplayer AAA that doesn’t have the generic colorful art style to cater to everyone, free of battlepass and all micro transactions, no childish taunts or skins. No paid streamer promotion or E-Sports catering?

Multiplayer games have had such a fall from grace from last gen I feel. Titanfall 2 I enjoyed but that died fast.. battlefield 4 I enjoyed but it’s just battlefield.

Something new and fresh will hopefullyA come soon that’ll provide us mature adult gamers with a raw multiplayer experience free from the current day crap.

i think factions could be this but naughty dog often times shoehorn crap and cringe taunts into the games they make sadly. I’m losing hope on multiplayer games.

I would like to suggest that these cash shops / unlockables / skin collections are a few of the very few reasons the younger generation are able to stick to a game.
A generation with ADHS does not cling to a game just for fun when there's other games that have fun, skins, stream integration with their favorite streamer, a mobile app and creative new skins every week.

This is what gaming is now. I'm not saying "deal with it" but... you might have to.

Last edited:

fersnake

im starting to hate grind every game, apex, cod, fortnite or every game with battlepass already drop BFV last year at least in apex its more fast leving up now but cod still its like its another job.

THEAP99

Banned
Rainbow Six Siege is the best.
For gameplay it is but I’ve owned it for a while and once again it sadly follows the games as a service stuff I don’t like. I guess maybe today it’s just impossible or not smart business wise to create a fully made multiplayer game.. why do that when u can stretch out content with seasons and all that jazz

THEAP99

Banned
im starting to hate grind every game, apex, cod, fortnite or every game with battlepass already drop BFV last year at least in apex its more fast leving up now but cod still its like its another job.
Yeah like back in the day most of the time I’d play multiplayer games for fun and didn’t need something to grind in order to play.. it’s like gameplay just hasn’t gotten any better or funner so they throw in daily battle pass stuff to keep us engaged now that the gameplay can’t ..?

Compsiox

Banned
For gameplay it is but I’ve owned it for a while and once again it sadly follows the games as a service stuff I don’t like. I guess maybe today it’s just impossible or not smart business wise to create a fully made multiplayer game.. why do that when u can stretch out content with seasons and all that jazz
Siege launched with 11 maps, terrorist hunt, all of the multiplayer modes it has today, and 20 operators.

h4uswfqixv041.jpg

It was fully made, they're just adding even more content.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Tastes change unfortunately. I have been watching a lot of Quake Champions, and although that game isnt perfect, it harks back to an age of fast combat, constant action, and rocking music. A lot of multiplayer stuff these days are crap, or cartoony kids shit. Cancer really.

THEAP99

Banned
Tastes change unfortunately. I have been watching a lot of Quake Champions, and although that game isnt perfect, it harks back to an age of fast combat, constant action, and rocking music. A lot of multiplayer stuff these days are crap, or cartoony kids shit. Cancer really.
I actually played some of that last year when it was free. Reminded me a lot of doom and the gameplay was a bit refreshing. But I don’t know it felt a bit samey after a while so I stopped n haven’t picked it back up. Maybe I should give it a shot again if my pc feels up to it

GHG

Insurgency Sandstorm

This.

And Hunt Showdown.

And Hell Let Loose.

You're falling into the trap they want you to fall into, you're only looking at what's being marketed heavily to you.

That's not to say games like Hunt and Insurgency couldn't do a better job with their marketing, they absolutely can and gave a long way to go in that respect, but you need to take the time to look around beyond the "common" games.

cormack12

Gold Member
Battlefield is still my favourite - I even enjoyed V for a bit until I got fed up with the various fortifications and maps. Looking forward to BF6 if they do modern day.

Most multiplayer games now are either wave bound (as in you have to keep playing to get the latest and greatest e.g. FUT), which only tries to retain it's hardcore base because it's so broad. If you're late to the party then it's going to be miserable. Which is why I hate it.

I think Halo will do well, especially if it can succeed where Unreal and Quake failed on console. I also think Hyper Scape will do very well on console.

I just dislike the whole progress linked to hours played shite. Just play the game when you want, and you'll have the same pool of weapons and it is just raw skill based. None of this you're late to the party so you have to have shitty weapons and default crap until you earn the chance to be competitive.

Bungie read the market and networking conditions perfectly with Destiny 1 & 2 e.g. PvE and PvP content to avoid much of what you describe OP.

They fucked up on grinding, RNG and level walling off content.

EDIT: I think you're of base with Apex in that list too, no need to buy skins or battle passes. You can enjoy the whole game F2P.

Last edited:
Don't know where to put this, so I'll chuck it here. Rocket Arena. Just watched my son play an hour for both of us to see what it is like. Simply, I don't have ADHD and nor do I want my son to have ADHD.

What is this modern day shit? Slooooooooooooooooow doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooown.

Have you tried Escape from Tarkov? Let me tell you about Escape from Tarkov...

...it routinely kicks me jn my balls and makes me suffer...I can't stop playing.
This. I had a Tarkov addiction for a couple of months and it was a dark, dark time lol.

Seriously though, it's a multiplayer shooter without cringe costumes, taunts etc and there's not a microtransaction in sight.

There's the cringe element that comes from the community of insane kill hungry gun fanatics but it's certainly not kiddy.

Sorry should have read the whole thread. Tarkov isn't an option.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sounds like it isn't the games you hate, but the business model.

The part I don't understand is why you don't opt out of the stuff you're complaining about. Don't watch the streams, don't worry about the cosmetics. Boom, problem solved unless the real problem is in your head, not in the game. :)

ZywyPL

Banned
Yeah, I miss the good old times where you could just jump into an ordinary TDM to run around and frag people with simple guns, nowadays the games are filled with all sorts of garbage, like skills, devices, shitloads of special effects and numbers being thrown at your screen etc. so you don't even see what the fuck is actually going on, not to mention you mostly have to rely on some random stupid kids on your team to win anything because that's how the games are designed, fuck that shit. CoD still supports every game mode that has been ever created in the online FPS history, but that's about it, if you're not into CoD you're screwed.

Yeah. The vibe sucks but it generally makes things free for me, so I will put up with it.

I have bad news, you arent getting the game you want again, ever so here is my idea:

rotating old ass online games. I tend to become disinterested in games once I succeed (but I also hated how sweaty Modern Warfare got with with skill based match making. The only reward for doing well was...). Once I get good, I lock into an optimal playstyle for me and I cant break it.

Going to another game resets that. It wil be cheap, the competition should be good. Then move on.

Relativ9

Sounds like it isn't the games you hate, but the business model.

The part I don't understand is why you don't opt out of the stuff you're complaining about. Don't watch the streams, don't worry about the cosmetics. Boom, problem solved unless the real problem is in your head, not in the game. :)

I mean if an opponent choses to use rainbow unicorn skins you are kind of forced to see it if you want to play the game, can't really opt out of that.

FeldMonster

Just play Halo MCC and/or Halo 5.

Excellent multiplayer experiences, the ability to opt out of skins in Halo 1 MCC, good population base, and the games at this point are "complete" while still being dynamic with curated playlists.

Hopefully the new Battlefield will be good again, BFV was... you know, ok I guess but not great like BF4.

Rainbow Six: Siege was really good but I had enough after 4 years, lol. Community was and probably still is toxic.

Insurgency: Sandstorm, we console players are waiting for 2-3(?) years already and to be honest I am sick of waiting for it so it gets delayed again and again.

MiguelItUp

I'm right there with you OP, I've actually mentioned it a number of times because it's something that irritates me every single day. FPS titles are my favorite, hell, shooters in general. You'd think I'd be all about what's currently hot and available, and I'm not. I couldn't give two shits TBH. I'm really not keen on battle royales, and almost every single multiplayer experience is borrowing so hard from one another that nothing feels unique or fresh. Well, or appealing to me.

I've been wanting a competitive multiplayer title to fall into and nothing feels or sounds good. I went back to playing CS GO for a bit, because at least it still receives attention and well, it's CS. But tried Rogue Company, nah. Hyper Scape, nah. Apex, nah. The list continues.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, every game is like this, and will be going forward. I actually do play Valorant, because I just like the way the game plays, but the grinding is dumb. I also play Halo MCC because it appeals to my refined boomer sensibilities and it has none of that trash. I could also play DOTA 2 or Starcraft 2 and enjoy this.

Point is, I don't think you can go looking to new games because they will all be chasing that Fortnite dragon.

Last edited:
There are plenty of PC exclusives that offer a more adult-like experience such as Squad, Arma 3, Hell let loose and Post Scriptum.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't play that much multiplayer with randos these days, but I did just buy CoD Modern Warfare because it's been a while since I played one, and it's pretty good fun, there's a reason those games do so well.

But man the multiplayer is a mess of menus and sub menus and notifications on every fucking screen, there's all sort of "passes" now, I liked the first few Modern Warfare's where at most you bought some map packs (I never felt the need to), and everything was super easy to parse and the menus weren't so thick. I took several years off and it feels like I need to take a fucking course on all the new options and currencies and what not. I just like playing the game it's not a fucking lifestyle.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
OP,

Echoing the suggestions from many others of playing on PC.

Just the variety of MP shooters that you get is insane.

Sure it takes a bit more money to get into, but it's definitely worth it for the experience you're looking for.

nkarafo

Haven't touched an online multiplayer game ever since Vanilla WoW and i'm so glad i didn't miss a thing.

GametimeUK

The one thing I hate about multiplayer games are unlocks. Anything game balance related shouldn't be put behind an unlock or loot box etc.

One thing I am ok with is lootboxes in overwatch as everything is unlocked from the beginning and nothing that impacts game balance is locked away. As long as the maps and new characters are free I'm fine with it. I actually prefer it to buying map packs, but that's just my view on it.

Nixonomics

Play Hunt Showdown.

Seriously, play Hunt: Showdown. Probably my favorite multiplayer shooter in recent years. It's incredibly unique. It's like Escape from Tarkov with all the worst parts trimmed out. It's honestly a shame that it hasn't received more attention - it's such a interesting game with an excellent concept and theme. No emotes, no GAAS battle pass, the skins for weapons you can unlock in game are realistic. I highly recommend anyone who is sick of the current trend of shooters to give it a shot. It's absolutely phenomenal.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What OP wants is never going to happen not right now at least with developers rooting for DLC, and bigtransactions

TLOUII factions is coming.... good things come to those who wait.

Give TLOU remastered factions a whirl.... once it clicks... it feels soo good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom