• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Husband travels 160 miles to kill man having an affair with his Wife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

She is entirely guiltless. No one cheats thinking "people might die because of this," since murder is not a rational followup response. She had nothing to do with her husband's premeditated, deranged behavior. He is unstable and entirely to blame. You guys and your thinly veiled victim blaming is disgusting.

Is victim really the right word to use here? She cheated and her husband killed the man she was cheating with. I fail to see how she is the victim in this situation.

And I wouldn't say she is entirely guiltless. She's guiltless for the murder, yes, but she's still guilty of cheating.

Edit: Well, I forgot about the part where she was kidnapped. Yeah, she was definitely a victim there. I still don't think "victim blaming" is the right term, though. Victim blaming would be someone stating "her cheating was the reason she was kidnapped," in my opinion.

I'd be interested to read more on this if you have any sources.

Interesting if it's not just wild conjecture. Any sources?

Yes and no. No, because everything is just theories. There is no scientific borderline final conclusion as far as human/pre-human sexual behavior.
Yes, because some of the most popular and widely spread theory suggests (by the likes of Chris Ryan, author at Sex at Dawn, a really awesome book) as well as sexologists like Dan Savage, that the dawn of agriculture started monogamy.

Like all other animal species we started by being in groups and everyone fucked everyone. The idea is that, when agriculture rolls around, a surplus of food is found. Surplus of food gives way to food storage, which gives away to the first huts/houses.
Because of this surplus of food becoming so valuable, humans started wanting to live closer to the food. less starvation, more comfort.

When humans then died, there started being disputes of ownership. Everyone was the father of all the children of the group, and it was such that everyone was raised collectively. Romanticized by many, this was supposedly have been the bomb, because instead of jealousy and greed you had natural feelings of unity because everyone literally was family.
Anyway. ownership of houses and starting to sense that offspring were a mix of a father and a mother, paved way for monogamy. A male who had build the house had needed to pass it on to a son. They couldn't figure out who was the legitimate son, so having dips on the females became a way to keep the successor to the household in line.

So monogamy is born out of a practical need that predates the earliest religions. It sounds plausible, to me. But there are no facts here. This is just the speculations and theories of many anthropologists and archaeologists who have looked at evidence through hunter-gatherer excavations as well as looking at the nature of sexuality and group dynamics in monkeys.

There is also a really good book that debunks Sex at Dawn, called Sex at Dusk. I haven't read that, but I heard it has some good counter-points.

"Letting yourself go" is an excuse that people that are lazy use to make it seem like they've achieved what they wanted to by being fit. If they've become insecure in their marriages, I think they're not working enough on themselves. Why does any of this make life miserable? These are far too reflected outcomes of someone cheating to be an emotional response. This is not why people act out when they're cheated on.

When I mean letting yourself go, I don't just refer to the physical shape thing. I am also thinking about becoming less interesting because people "sacrifice" for their relationship. they go less out, do less interesting things, are less inclined to do certain things because of fear of romantic jealousy.
All of these things leave a hole, and I think many people lose a part of themselves when they are out of their relationships. Because the other person have become such a fundamental part of their lives and they have given up so many things in the process.
The physical factor is a confidence thing. And calling people lazy is not fair. When people are completely relaxed they tend to care a bit less about their relationships.

Strictly speaking many people get in shape to lure in a new mate because they wanna look their best.

Yes, the residing issues after having a deep bond of trust broken is one that can be extremely hard to mend. I'm sure there's ample people out there that aren't capable of mending it, and haven't the open mind to seek out people that can help them with it.

That is why men have a much harder time recouping from broken relationships. Men are worse at using their networks and/or talk to friends to recover. traditionally speaking women are much better at reaching out to their friends and family to get back on the horse.

This is an unfitting hyperbole only suited for those affected by such a heinous act, while still affected. It is extremely hard to break up with someone that's very close to you, but I don't think it's suited to say it's worse than death. It may feel worse than death, to them, but it's because it hurts a lot. It isn't worse than death, and it feels wrong to label is as such. I'm being pedantic over the qualifier "feels", but it's essential, because life goes on.

you said it yourself. it feels worse than death to them. and someone acts on that impulse and kills.

Which leads us into what I feel is an epitome of bitterness. I don't know what it is. Maybe you've been in a bad break up, maybe you've had your trust broken. There's nothing inherently wrong with monogamy, and I don't think you have any sources to back it up. I think it's unfair to portray it as such, as you did first in your post. Either you have some issues with a past relationship that I hope you work on, or you've missed the point of the relationship altogether.

It would be stupid for me to say that there is something wrong with monogamy. I can't possible call dips on knowing that. But neither can you. I think it's too bad you spend so much time going about how everyone is lazy, bitter and all sorts of shit, declaring that monogamy is fail free.

At least have the decency to see human beings as emotional creatures, and that emotional creatures are not rational. In many ways we are driven by biology. And if you look at many species of animals - Even those that are famous for having male and female staying together for life like the Swan - Guess what. They still get fucked by other animals when they go about their day.

Who knows. I won't dismiss monogamy. But I admit - I wonder if we would all be happier if we didn't have it. If it was a universal thing, that if it would remove the jealousy, the desperation, the fixation on sex, if it all became less of a big deal, and less of owning another persons body exclusively.
I've never cheated on anyone myself and I don't want to. But I am not sure why my girlfriend wouldn't. If she goes out, she can get sex from a long list of guys that will basically offer themselves to her, no strings attached.

Guys, all of you victim blaming, as usual...

You understand we have laws in this country to abide by? Shooting people to death isn't due process (unless done by the police, hur hur), but falling victim to illegal crimes isn't the fault of anyone besides the shooter... If she didn't get married to the guy, she wouldn't have been shot either... and people wouldn't be raped if they didn't drink and wear certain outfits.

Come on. We need to move on to pretend we are a civil society, not paint anyone at fault for being shot except the person extinguishing life. Stop supporting, condoning, or giving the nod to people who shoot those who you feel are morally wrong. You cant shoot people.

i don't think most of the people who responded in brief that the wife shouldn't have cheated in the first place would also say it was ultimately her fault one person was dead and another was in jail. some did (and now those radicals are coming through the woodwork to have a debate), sure. but you're always going on this same exact crusade so you couldn't really give a shit, i assume. you almost make it seem like the infidelity is excusable.

Jado

Banned
Is victim really the right word to use here? She cheated and her husband killed the man she was cheating with. I fail to see how she is the victim in this situation.

And I wouldn't say she is entirely guiltless. She's guiltless for the murder, yes, but she's still guilty of cheating.

Edit: Well, I forgot about the part where she was kidnapped. Yeah, she was definitely a victim there.

Read the story again and pay attention. He held her hostage and interrogated her. That's abuse, making her a victim. Edit - see you've caught on. Dude, people were literally blaming her, a victim, in the criminal events that transpired. That is as literal as victim blaming gets. The fuck...

Still, even the people not directly blaming her for making the guy go kill have this odd fixation with her and an accusatory undercurrent. "He shouldn't have killed anyone... But she did cheat, so she is guilty of STUFF." Why even bring it up? It's like a knowing sly winking.

Septimius

Yes and no. No, because everything is just theories. There is no scientific borderline final conclusion as far as human/pre-human sexual behavior.

I don't need proof. I need founded theories. Not just wild conjecture.

Yes, because some of the most popular and widely spread theory suggests (by the likes of Chris Ryan, author at Sex at Dawn, a really awesome book) as well as sexologists like Dan Savage, that the dawn of agriculture started monogamy.

Christopher Ryan, the Ph.D. from an "online learning program"? And Dan Savage, the BA in Theater? I had to look them up, because what you wrote sounds like incoherent conjecture, so I had to check who these people were. As sources, I was hoping someone that's founded their theories on some sort of foundation, and not just "here's what I think".

Like all other animal species we started by being in groups and everyone fucked everyone.

Yeah, there's a particular monkey species that greet, say "goodbye", and "sorry", and "how are you?" by having sex. But besides that, I don't think I've ever come across an animal group where everyone fucks everyone.

The idea is that, when agriculture rolls around, a surplus of food is found. Surplus of food gives way to food storage, which gives away to the first huts/houses.

We always had huts. Yes, agriculture may have lead to a more permanent residency, but even that is disputed, as there are many tribes living in various remote locations that don't deal with agriculture, but still have a base that they go to hunt from.

Because of this surplus of food becoming so valuable, humans started wanting to live closer to the food. less starvation, more comfort

What?

When humans then died, there started being disputes of ownership. Everyone was the father of all the children of the group, and it was such that everyone was raised collectively. Romanticized by many, this was supposedly have been the bomb, because instead of jealousy and greed you had natural feelings of unity because everyone literally was family.

There might have been places that treated things like this, but this wasn't "how it was" before agriculture.

Anyway. ownership of houses and starting to sense that offspring were a mix of a father and a mother, paved way for monogamy. A male who had build the house had needed to pass it on to a son. They couldn't figure out who was the legitimate son, so having dips on the females became a way to keep the successor to the household in line.

That's.. just... bad form. This is unfounded and incoherent. If everyone was everyone's offspring, why would it be important to pass it on to someone specific, and not just pass it down to the entire group? It makes much more sense, if everyone's just "fucking everyone", anyway.

So monogamy is born out of a practical need that predates the earliest religions.

You're saying that monogamy was born from a need to have a proper lineage because you had a house? In a society where no one cared who was whose father? Why would that follow?

It sounds plausible, to me. But there are no facts here. This is just the speculations and theories of many anthropologists and archaeologists who have looked at evidence through hunter-gatherer excavations as well as looking at the nature of sexuality and group dynamics in monkeys.

I am very interested in this topic, and I enjoy evolutionary psychology. I have never come across any such theories, which is why I asked for credible sources, and not just these popular books with baseless conjecture.

When I mean letting yourself go, I don't just refer to the physical shape thing. I am also thinking about becoming less interesting because people "sacrifice" for their relationship. they go less out, do less interesting things

That's called laziness. Not "sacrificing" for the relationship. That's not a normal relationship. It's a bad relationship. It's a stale relationship.

are less inclined to do certain things because of fear of romantic jealousy.

That's also just from horrible insecurities in a significant others, and also a poor reaction to such a restriction placed on the other by the insecure one. This also the sign of a bad relationship, and not a sign of why monogamy is bad.

All of these things leave a hole

Yes, if you're insecure, you'll lean too much on your relationship.

and I think many people lose a part of themselves when they are out of their relationships. Because the other person have become such a fundamental part of their lives and they have given up so many things in the process.

This is in part true, but it is also what makes relationships worthwhile, because you grow fond and attached to this other person - to the degree you yourself want - and share a lot of things, and build a happy life together. To go out of that and not be affected is essentially not being in a relationship in the first place.

The physical factor is a confidence thing. And calling people lazy is not fair. When people are completely relaxed they tend to care a bit less about their relationships.

Did you mean their appearances? Sure, they can not stress about look perfect all the time, but we're talking about not gaining 100 pounds, then saying it's because "you let yourself go". If you stop getting as frequent haircuts and don't shave your chest anymore, that's something completely rectifiable. Being unhealthy is always laziness, and never related to a relationship.

Strictly speaking many people get in shape to lure in a new mate because they wanna look their best.

Strictly speaking, they should keep healthy even afterwards.

That is why men have a much harder time recouping from broken relationships. Men are worse at using their networks and/or talk to friends to recover. traditionally speaking women are much better at reaching out to their friends and family to get back on the horse.

Why is this a sign of monogamy being bad?

You said it yourself. it feels worse than death to them. and someone acts on that impulse and kills.

That doesn't follow. Then they should kill themselves, not others. Also, this is still a response that comes far after such an emotional response that triggers such a violent action as killing someone. You don't sit there a month later, feeling like shit, then deciding to kill the guy that your SO cheated on. This is something that happens right away, and if we were able to think this far ahead in such a situation, surely we'd also be able to keep from killing someone.

It would be stupid for me to say that there is something wrong with monogamy. I can't possible call dips on knowing that. But neither can you.

I think you've presented your case in a very little credible way. As such, I feel my view that monogamy is a partially default state in humans to still stand. That's also all I said about it. I don't think any alternative is better, but I haven't discussed that monogamy is perfect.

I think it's too bad you spend so much time going about how everyone is lazy, bitter and all sorts of shit, declaring that monogamy is fail free.

I am not declaring that monogamy is fail-free, I am saying that what you're presenting as flaws in monogamy, seem to be flaws in the persons you're depicting. If you get fat and dress poorly in a relationship, that's laziness, and just bad form. Taking care of yourself and staying healthy and happy is someone people need to strive to, no matter what kind of relationship they're in.

At least have the decency to see human beings as emotional creatures, and that emotional creatures are not rational. In many ways we are driven by biology.

Yes, and that's why we're monogamous. You really think we could be, if it wasn't in our biology? My entire point is founded around the fact that this not a societal construct.

And if you look at many species of animals - Even those that are famous for having male and female staying together for life like the Swan - Guess what. They still get fucked by other animals when they go about their day.

There's a suiting video from Louis CK on exactly this. But you're still drawing lines where there are none.

Who knows. I won't dismiss monogamy. But I admit - I wonder if we would all be happier if we didn't have it. If it was a universal thing, that if it would remove the jealousy, the desperation, the fixation on sex, if it all became less of a big deal, and less of owning another persons body exclusively.

We're not owning anyone. We're giving ourselves to another person. We're not being taken. We enjoy it, we seek it. We are happy because we're vulnerable. It is a part of what makes it fantastic. The jealousy might be a left-over part from evolutionary times where we needed to be sure that we were taking care of our own off-spring.

I've never cheated on anyone myself and I don't want to. But I am not sure why my girlfriend wouldn't. If she goes out, she can get sex from a long list of guys that will basically offer themselves to her, no strings attached.

Because it would violate the trust?

EDIT: in evolutionary psychological terms, it would mean that she would lose you, because you wouldn't be interested in raising a child you aren't sure is your own. As such, she'd lose the protected she and her child needs, and that's not desirable. This is in part how we're wired to be monogamous. Because we need this type of protection, and we've figured that being at least partly monogamous leads to better survival rates.

disjointed like a ransom note

jebus dude. Just giving my advice but don't attack the words. you can run down any post by deducing them with bullshit semantics. excuse me if I don't wanna tread down that path.

also, don't take it so personal. you sound like you got some feelings hurt in this. cheers!:)

Septimius

jebus dude. Just giving my advice but don't attack the words. you can run down any post by deducing them with bullshit semantics. excuse me if I don't wanna tread down that path.

also, don't take it so personal. you sound like you got some feelings hurt in this. cheers!:)

I'm defending saying stuff that can be backed up. You essentially said incoherent things, and I was wondering if you had any foundation for what seemed to be a biased view of monogamy stemming from some sort of bad experience, wherein you've cherry-picked certain books and articles that favor your view of why monogamy is bad. I wanted to tell you that everything you said felt completely baseless and I've never heard such theories before.

You can present them as your little musings, but you did present them more as facts. I am not deducing your post to semantics, I am arguing against the points you're making. Your first post was essentially saying how monogamy is bad, backing it up with sourceless claims. When called out on it, you did respond, and I responded further. Now you're essentially saying I've dug too deep.

The only feelings I got hurt is my feeling of arguing fairly. You came in with a heavily biased post that was also unfounded, and I wanted to call you out on it. Luckily, monogamy works, and there's a reason for it. That's really I wanted to convey.

Weilthain

Banned
I just know if this happened to me , I'd forever steal this guys mail or constantly order pizza to his address. I wouldn't kill him...

Or would I?

Nope

I'm defending saying stuff that can be backed up. You essentially said incoherent things, and I was wondering if you had any foundation for what seemed to be a biased view of monogamy stemming from some sort of bad experience, wherein you've cherry-picked certain books and articles that favor your view of why monogamy is bad. I wanted to tell you that everything you said felt completely baseless and I've never heard such theories before.

You can present them as your little musings, but you did present them more as facts. I am not deducing your post to semantics, I am arguing against the points you're making. Your first post was essentially saying how monogamy is bad, backing it up with sourceless claims. When called out on it, you did respond, and I responded further. Now you're essentially saying I've dug too deep.

The only feelings I got hurt is my feeling of arguing fairly. You came in with a heavily biased post that was also unfounded, and I wanted to call you out on it. Luckily, monogamy works, and there's a reason for it. That's really I wanted to convey.

Why are you lying? You use lies and deconstruction of posts to attack merely words and single sentences, taking them out of context to delude yourself from your own butthurt.

I don't think monogamy is bad. In fact, I use the term "for better or worse" in my first post, third sentence. I don't have an agenda against it. I presented a theory based on a book that I have read and that I have liked. Upon hearing this, you arrogantly demeanor it by mentioning the arthours degree credentials. I really think you shouldn't judge a books worth or points before having read it. I don't know Christopher Ryan's credentials, but I think it's unfair to discredit someone on only that.
Thirdly, it was not cherry picking. I presented you the de-bunking book of "Sex at Dawn".

You're so riled up you attack the word just being fixated on some agenda that doesn't exist. Nobody knows for certain, but you're acting so closed minded that you won't even consider the off chance of other ideas of monogamy?

Septimius

Why are you lying? You use lies and deconstruction of posts to attack merely words and single sentences, taking them out of context to delude yourself from your own butthurt.

How is this an appropriate response? I took the time to respond to your post, and you're saying you're refusing to respond, and that that is my butthurt. Sure. I read your entire post first, and I decided to interject my thoughts as they came. I really have no idea why responding per sentence is a problem.

I don't think monogamy is bad. In fact, I use the term "for better or worse" in my first post, third sentence. I don't have an agenda against it. I presented a theory based on a book that I have read and that I have liked. Upon hearing this, you arrogantly demeanor it by mentioning the arthours degree credentials. I really think you shouldn't judge a books worth or points before having read it. I don't know Christopher Ryan's credentials, but I think it's unfair to discredit someone on only that.
Thirdly, it was not cherry picking. I presented you the de-bunking book of "Sex at Dawn".

I don't think mentioning another popular book with an opposing view changes the biased way you presented your point. I am saying your post and the theory in it sounded largely unfounded, and upon hearing your source, it only furthered that impression. I am not saying they're bad books, I am saying they're not experts in their fields, and they're not credible as such. It sounds like theory they have, and it sounds rather incoherent and equally unfounded. If they then use sources within them of anthropologists and architectural findings, that's different, but since this is presented so unstructured and incoherently, I'd rather continue to trust where I read about these things, and not delve into what seems popular books by authors that at best are doing the same type of cherry-picking, and at worst are not picking anything.

I'm not attacking their credibility. They aren't credible. They may use other credible sources, but I wouldn't know. If they do, that would mean they present their own theories using credible people's findings.

You're so riled up you attack the word just being fixated on some agenda that doesn't exist. Nobody knows for certain, but you're acting so closed minded that you won't even consider the off chance of other ideas of monogamy?

This was never about considering other ideas from monogamy. It was the reaction and refute of a post that sounded unfounded and based on conjecture. There's been nothing to show me that it's been anything since. I was out to say that your post was in bad form, and I've formed arguments based on my views. This wasn't about if monogamy is bad or not, it was a post saying:

We're not biologically programmed to have sex with just one person. For better or worse we have these monogomous traditions now. An after effect of post-hunter-gatherer.

This sounded like wild conjecture, and I refuted it. Upon further inspection, nothing has changed.

This sounded like wild conjecture, and I refuted it. Upon further inspection, nothing has changed.

Let us just agree to disagree.

But read it. Read the book. Credibility is pointed out by certain individuals and if you followed the whole Graham Hancock debacle you can see how that sometimes don't mean shit what the current top tier scholars at Cambridge and Oxford thinks in the face of new theories and evidence, that pops up.

The only true thing is that everything changes.

Septimius

Let us just agree to disagree.

There's nothing to agree or disagree on. I'm saying that your argument was presented as wild conjecture, and you've done nothing to rectify it. If that's unimportant to you, I can certainly see that. Often, I'm not interested in convincing random people on the internet of my perceptions of the world. However, if you do argue with me about your theories, you must know that your theories will be scrutinized. That's what I've done, but I feel I've received a more personal attack back.

Saying things like "you're butthurt" and similar isn't the right thing to do. If you're happy about having your theory be your theory, and not presenting it properly, I can respect that. I've done it several times on GAF. But don't say "but it was presented properly" when it's looked at.

But read it. Read the book. Credibility is pointed out by certain individuals and if you followed the whole Graham Hancock debacle you can see how that sometimes don't mean shit what the current top tier scholars at Cambridge and Oxford thinks in the face of new theories and evidence, that pops up.

Sure, I can see that, it's just that you've done nothing but present your arguments and theories as completely incoherent stuff, and as such, they don't really interest me. That's why I've pointed out that they're so incoherent, so that you can strive to present your points better. So I won't read these books, and it's because of the way I've been introduced to them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pretty much everyone in this scenario is guilty of something or another.

commedieu

Banned
i don't think most of the people who responded in brief that the wife shouldn't have cheated in the first place would also say it was ultimately her fault one person was dead and another was in jail. some did (and now those radicals are coming through the woodwork to have a debate), sure. but you're always going on this same exact crusade so you couldn't really give a shit, i assume. you almost make it seem like the infidelity is excusable.

I didn't say that most people responded that way, would say that it was ultimately her fault. Im responding to people intimating that its her fault a man was killed for cheating. Its the husbands fault for killing a man.

I don't blame people when others respond to their actions of infidelity with violence and murder. Thats what we are talking about. Being rational and thinking this doesn't mean that I am excusing infidelity. That is not what holding responsible adults to task for murder is. Its not a statement on any morals, its just a statement on the facts. Infidelity is excusable, to some, and its not a death sentence, for many. That might not be you or me, but that is what it is. In this world, the people that can cope with infidelity in a sane way, is the bar I use to judge rationality on. Not posters who would rather be eaten alive by sharks, than be cheated on. Im ok with being on this side of the crusade, if these words above are what you're talking about.

Einherjar

If she didn't cheat, none of that would have happened. If she cheated because her husband was crazy, she should've known this could've happened. She was the cause, but the husband's obviously crazy, and most of the fault lies with him being insane.

Septimius

If she didn't cheat, none of that would have happened. If she cheated because her husband was crazy, she should've known this could've happened. She was the cause, but the husband's obviously crazy, and most of the fault lies with him being insane.

All of the fault lies with him being insane. Absolutely none of the fault, or cause, lies with the woman. Otherwise, it'd be like saying that women wearing promiscuous outfits are the cause and have part of the blame when arousing a man that then rapes her.

Ekdrm2d1

What?

:p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Unrelated somewhat to this case, I am actually rather surprised that many om here seem to think that being cheated by your SO is like a... a, small inconvenience. Like a very minor thing not worth fussing about.

I guess not all people put the same value in their relationships. I, for one, cannot even begin to comprehend such viewpoints. For me, being cheated on is a huge, huge deal.

Anyways, in this particular case, of course the blame would be on the murderer. I would be personally devastated if my SO cheated on me, but I wouldn't be so blindsided by rage that the word "kill" can even take a peek in my mind. I can't just shrug it off too as easily as some of you seem capable of, though.

Mononoke

Banned
I decided to have a look at past threads and here's the pattern I found:

When a man attacks a woman who may have cheated, GAF posters start questioning the wife's behavior, stating or implying it was partially her fault, she set the violence in motion, she deserved it for cheating, should feel guilt, rationalizing the guy's behavior, etc.

When a woman attacks a man for possible cheating, there is a pattern of not questioning the man's behavior, no shifting of blame to him. Blaming the cheating man responses are practically nonexistent. You just get jokes, puns, the usual "good, she deserves to die/burn/rot in prison," especially if she attacked his genitals for his misbehavior.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=661617
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=712837
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=665733
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=505040
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=556400
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=450780
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=416547
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=493122
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=534999
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=564757
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=453196

She is entirely guiltless. No one cheats thinking "people might die because of this," since murder is not a rational followup response. She had nothing to do with her husband's premeditated, deranged behavior. He is unstable and entirely to blame. You guys and your thinly veiled victim blaming is disgusting.

That's pretty sad/disturbing. Thing is, I get that people can acknowledge that the cheater (regardless if it was the wife or husband) - did something bad that set the person off. But that has nothing to do with the person taking action because they are upset. They decided to choose to do something awful, and that is 100% their own choice to commit said action.

But the story is the person snapping, not the cheater making their lover upset.

The heavy emphasis on the cheater (even more so then the killer), is really bizarre.

there is a lot of misogyny on that type of thinking

cheating is a very questionable thing..but the ultimate betrayal? some gaf posters need as reallity check asap

To be fair, seeing cheating as the ultimate betrayal isn't just something a misogynist can think. People in general view cheating differently. I think we can all agree, anyone that is sane does not go and kill someone or act on violence over cheating though. That is never justified.

Valnen

I've seen a lot of the 'cheating is fine, deal with it' mentality crop up in the past few years.

Yeah, there are also a lot of people here who also think it's perfectly acceptable to sleep with someone you know is in a relationship, which is just wrong. People that do that are just pieces of shit.

I decided to have a look at past threads and here's the pattern I found:

When a man attacks a woman who may have cheated, GAF posters start questioning the wife's behavior, stating or implying it was partially her fault, she set the violence in motion, she deserved it for cheating, should feel guilt, rationalizing the guy's behavior, etc.

When a woman attacks a man for possible cheating, there is a pattern of not questioning the man's behavior, no shifting of blame to him. Blaming the cheating man responses are practically nonexistent. You just get jokes, puns, the usual "good, she deserves to die/burn/rot in prison," especially if she attacked his genitals for his misbehavior.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=661617
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=712837
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=665733
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=505040
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=556400
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=450780
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=416547
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=493122
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=534999
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=564757
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=453196

wow, no words.