• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Michael

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Potential snuff film here, we don't know if these chasers are safe. But this is why you don't go into a Cat4/5 Eyewall. Last 30 mins of Brett Adair's feed that I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
serious storm. some CRAZY footage out there. wife told me she was watching the news and a roof ripped off on the live feed as the reporter was standing there.

Last edited:

dolabla

My internet and cable is out. Electricity is flickering off and on. Will probably go out any minute now. Winds are really blowing now. My buddy said a tree fell in his neighbordhood.

This shit is really bad. Water up to roofs on homes already on 10ft+ stilts.

I'll tell you in advanced, there will be lots of 'finding' and 'scavenging' after this clears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Lol, I'm not that stupid. They're loud when they crack. I would guess it's more tall pines. My buddy has trees down all in his neighborhood he said.

Its crazy that is has kept up this much strength that far inland. I have read that some forecasters are thinking it may keep 'cane status all the way back out into the Atlantic potentially.

dolabla

Its crazy that is has kept up this much strength that far inland. I have read that some forecasters are thinking it may keep 'cane status all the way back out into the Atlantic potentially.

That is freaking insane. This thing is a monster.

thats crazy. i find it so hard to believe, but i guess it's possible. I don't know enough about the science other than hurricanes tend to severely dissipate quickly once making landfall

thats absurd! I got married like 60-90 minutes from there! cant imagine how that place is holding up

Last edited:
Will do. One of my buddies is being a dumbass and trying chase down the eye so he can be inside of it, lol
zxphc7.jpg

Hope they stay safe too.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Guess those kids will be out of school for a few days...

It blew a train off the track too

Remains of a strip mall

Last edited:

dolabla

Well, I am glad that is over. My service is super spotty right now. It completely knocked it out when I posted my last comment and now has returned this morning.

There's trees down, powerlines down, trees on houses and mobile homes. I gotta say I feel lucky as the street I live on was spared from anything like that. Also, while it was bad I also feel lucky that the eye just went East of here. If this thing would have made landfall just a tad west of PC, there would have been much worse destruction than this as it would have came right over us. Just down the road in Marianna I hear it is like a war zone.

There's no telling when the power is coming back on. They've had helicopters flying around this morning assessing everything. On the bright side, temps are going to get down in the 50's tonight. It was hot as hell last night so I can let the windows up tonight.

And one last thing, holy hell at Panama City. I can not believe what has happened there. It's hard to imagine just that type of destruction. Has there been any footage of Mexico Beach? My friend's mom has a condo down there.

Good luck to everybody still in its path. I know it's down to TS status, but this storm has been no joke.

zxphc7.jpg

Hope they stay safe too.

He made it, lol. He tried to drive toward Marianna, but he couldn't get through cause trees were down blocking roads. He then drove to Donalsonville, Georgia and that's where he got in the eye. I told him straight up he was an absolute moron.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
And one last thing, holy hell at Panama City. I can not believe what has happened there. It's hard to imagine just that type of destruction. Has there been any footage of Mexico Beach? My friend's mom has a condo down there.

Well that chaser vid i posted earlier is from Mexico Beach. He lived, and is safe and stuck there though, as his wife reported on Facebook. But yeah, Mexico Beach is pretty much gone. I’d imagine her condo is either damaged beyond repair or no longer standing.

Last edited:
some crazy pics

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/weather/gallery/hurricane-michael/index.html

i feel so guilty following along with these storms watching from a far, and yet these folks who had something/nothing are now left with even less

where do you even begin. sure i can move some of the wreckage to look for my belongings, but im just moving the same pile of rubbish to a different place. its still gonna be a mess, just 10 feet over. they need some serious help

stayed pretty south of atlanta it seems

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Mexico beach quick and dirty before and after

Before:

BQeCVe9.jpg

After:
lf5qaDw.jpg

Edit:

NOAA imagery of the same area

xtcWVgo.jpg

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
This is pretty amazing. Michael left a 22 mile wide scar. A 10-11 mile wobble west would have left Panama City looking like Mexico Beach that I posted above. And would have likely led to hundreds of deaths.

This level of destruction that far inland is pretty unreal.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

My family in Callaway lost homes, but got out right before. That storm blew up fast, even already flew through here in NC too knocking out my power worse than Florence. Over 600k without power in NC.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Man today felt amazing, like the first day of fall for real! It’s been unseasonably hot in Atlanta but since the hurricane the weather has been wonderful

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I’m sad that this thread is so inactive, compared to others. But this really irks me about this storm.

I don’t like Fox, but at least they know what the priorities should be.

zxF4ZHg.png

Yet CNN has this crap.

SY3MDbD.png

Both homepages are as of 12:30am eastern on 10/12. Not to be political in a thread that should be devoid of it, but if you want to know why Americans of differing political beliefs live in different worlds - this is why.

Not to be missed but here is NOAA satellite imagery of the aftermath

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#14/29.9588/-85.4439

Last edited:
Man today felt amazing, like the first day of fall for real! It’s been unseasonably hot in Atlanta but since the hurricane the weather has been wonderful

too cold if you ask me. i just moved here from nyc in july.

what the hell.

i just want to be eased in to my fall. not smacked in the face

Last edited:

lil puff

too cold if you ask me. i just moved here from nyc in july. what the hell.

I think Fall just hit us in the face today in NYC. It just got cold and here I am out here in a tshirt.

It's weird how all the way up here we feel the remnants of that storm with the heavy rain, and now winds. Time to get ready for winter.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
too cold if you ask me. i just moved here from nyc in july.

what the hell.

heh ive been waiting to get smacked in the face with fall for the past month!

pretty crazy here tho, i went for a walk this morning and it was 30 degrees colder than it was a week ago.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Watching that storm chaser get consumed by surge and almost die live was absolutely terrifying.

I’m still shook over seeing that stream. I posted it here after the fact... but yeah, that was a scary moment for a weather nerd like me.

dolabla

Got my power back on.

My internet, cable and phone are still out. I called the radio station to find out if they have heard anything cause I can not find anything. They told me that it may be a while until we get that back on because the infrastructure for this area is based out of Panama City.

Sucks, but I can't complain given what others have gone through. At least I have power now. My brother is still without power and running a generator.

Well that chaser vid i posted earlier is from Mexico Beach. He lived, and is safe and stuck there though, as his wife reported on Facebook. But yeah, Mexico Beach is pretty much gone. I’d imagine her condo is either damaged beyond repair or no longer standing.

OMG, the place is almost certainly destroyed. Unbelievable.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Got my power back on.

My internet, cable and phone are still out. I called the radio station to find out if they have heard anything cause I can not find anything. They told me that it may be a while until we get that back on because the infrastructure for this area is based out of Panama City.

Sucks, but I can't complain given what others have gone through. At least I have power now. My brother is still without power and running a generator.

Glad to hear you are back.

More of Mexico Beach's aftermath.

lil puff

Got my power back on.

this is good to hear. got damn

dolabla

I am back in business baby! My cable, internet and phone have all been restored. I have no idea what they did, but I'm very thankful for them and all these power crews working their butts off all day and night to get everything restored. My brother is still without power, unfortunately. But I don't think it will be too much longer.

Glad to hear you are back.

More of Mexico Beach's aftermath.

It looks like an atomic bomb went off. That is so crazy to see.

I actually have really good news regarding my friend's mom's condo in Mexico Beach. I talked to him yesterday and It didn't get destroyed. One of the very lucky few.

Top Bottom