• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humans or Others? What Happened?

Games and even cartoon shows started off and majority was about funny, cool, amicable, dangerous made up characters like Looney Tunes, Pac-Man, Super heros, Cartoon characters, but then a shift happened and now we get a lot of bratty, over the top unrealistic human characters. People that should die if they had certain encounters but miraculously survives everything thrown at them like Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, etc…

What is your theory on what happened and would you rather play as a basic human with guns or the others?

vyQNjiH.png
XKQ6tgH.jpg
Twn089P.jpg
LOuipGB.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh yeah, because the shit that human characters from earlier 3D games did was so grounded and realistic. I can still remember Solid Snake bouncing off of missles that were launched from an armored chopper and taking down a 50 feet battle mech with nothing but a rocket launcher. That shit was too real.

Also, whatever happened to all those cartoon characters in video games these days...

i-ratchet-clank-rift-apart-gra-ps5.jpg
94554a8c45408d10accc84cd375a
just-for-games-kao-the-kangaroo-ps5-front.jpg
61a2-jxr_dl__ac_sl1000.400x518.jpg
Destroy-All-Humans-2-Reprobed-PS5-EAN-GTIN-9120080077356
i-sonic-frontiers-gra-ps5.jpg
i-kena-bridge-of-spirits-deluxe-edition-gra-ps5.jpg
ubeXmbBd9PVaoyDkCbDnuZIx.png

I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE DID THOSE CHARACTER DISAPPEARED TO, OP.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Peope pay for stupid stuff.
Why do you think we have all these BR, sports, same rehashed games with different skins?
The answer is simple. Gamers grown up, and dont want the old games anymore due to time constrain. Newer gamers dont know old games that much, so they spend their money on newer cash grap games.

This generation would feel the same thing that you are feeling now, once the younger takes over them.

To put it simply "Supply and demand" is why we are in this state.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Games and even cartoon shows started off and majority was about funny, cool, amicable, dangerous made up characters like Looney Tunes, Pac-Man, Super heros, Cartoon characters, but then a shift happened and now we get a lot of bratty, over the top unrealistic human characters. People that should die if they had certain encounters but miraculously survives everything thrown at them like Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, etc…

What is your theory on what happened and would you rather play as a basic human with guns or the others?

I. . .what is the thesis here? That you're upset that realistic games have unrealistic encounters, as opposed to "older" games that weren't trying for "realism" in either their character design or gameplay? If so. . .uhm, no. Escapism typically doesn't want "realistic" situations because that's not the damn point. The point is to free climb a mountain with a single climbers tool (or an inventory full of weapons and armor and negotiate said mountain with only your bare hands) and have enough stamina to then sneak through a camp and murder 20 or so mercenaries. . .silently.

. . .like what even is this complaint?

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Oh yeah, because the shit that human characters from earlier 3D games did was so grounded and realistic. I can still remember Solid Snake bouncing off of missles that were launched from an armored chopper and taking down a 50 feet battle mech with nothing but a rocket launcher. That shit was too real.

Also, whatever happened to all those cartoon characters in video games these days...

i-ratchet-clank-rift-apart-gra-ps5.jpg
94554a8c45408d10accc84cd375a
just-for-games-kao-the-kangaroo-ps5-front.jpg
61a2-jxr_dl__ac_sl1000.400x518.jpg
Destroy-All-Humans-2-Reprobed-PS5-EAN-GTIN-9120080077356
i-sonic-frontiers-gra-ps5.jpg
i-kena-bridge-of-spirits-deluxe-edition-gra-ps5.jpg
ubeXmbBd9PVaoyDkCbDnuZIx.png

I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHERE DID THOSE CHARACTER DISAPPEARED TO, OP.
jurassic park deal with it GIF

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
On a more serious note, the game industry shifted into making "mature" and edgy games.

It started around the PS360 gen.

During the SNES, PS1, N64 era games were mostly aimed at children and teenagers.
There were tons of great games made for children at the time, be it Disney, Looney Tunes or brand new characters.

Now all that edginess is less prevalent, and those cartoonish games are better accepted by the media and the general public.
Unfortunately most of the good designers have retired, it's rare to find a cartoonish game not made by Nintendo that is fun.

Also, furries happened.

Top Bottom