• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rank the core Uncharted games based on Story?

Which one is your fave core based on story

• Uncharted 1

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 96 53.3%
  • Uncharted 3

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 54 30.0%
  • Other/Don't like Uncharted

Votes: 11 6.1%

• Total voters

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
1. Uncharted 4 - it feels like they learned every positive lesson they could have over the years until it culminated with this master piece
2. Uncharted 2
3. Uncharted 1
4. Uncharted Lost Legacy
5. Uncharted 3
6. Golden Abyss

tmlDan

def 4, followed by 2.

It had great visuals, we got new interesting characters, development with Nathan and Elena and it was more emotional than past iterations. Two had a decent story and was a fun ride, probably my fav overall given the improvement over the first.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Went back and played UC1 and I may have to change my order. The story in 1 is pretty barebones.

If I were to rank the games by ease of play, it would be dead last. But it was the first so…

Oh and I think I killed more bad guys in the first 2 hours then I did in all of UC4.

2 and 4 are the best by far. 2 has a super shit stealth mission near the start but other than that I remember being genuinely shocked at how good it was.

4 has some pacing issues but damn it’s still an incredible time!

I really liked the 4th one. It had several stories going on and character crisis among world hopping pirate adventure.

If I could only pick one game that should go in a hall of fame it would probly be the second. It really pulled out the stops in terms of action and adventure and nifty set pieces including the shooting sections. I will always remember vaulting over signs for cover while shooting down at enemies below, so cool.

I would only give a bad mark review of the 3rd one. I did not like the constant shooting gallery aspect. Story was a bit villain of the week as well. But still a good game.

I honestly don't remember the story of the 1st. I do remember when I first noticed the character animation when he butted up to the wall. I was like hey check that out.

Aenima

Uncharted 4 is my favorite Uncharted game, story included. Also is the only Uncharted without supernatural enemies. All other Uncharted games have very decent stories but they dont stand out much from one another. What separates the other games is more related to gameplay and setpieces.

Story rating for me goes something like this:

U4>>ULL>U3=U2>U1

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Story?

Diarrhea 4: A Shit End
Unsharted The Lost Laxative
Butthole 2: Among Shits
Tubgirl 3: Drake's Constipation
Poo poo shitty butt: Duke's Fartbox

Seriously, though, Uncharted for story?

I mean, Uncharted for gameplay isn't exactly fucking pulse pounding riveting ambrosia of the Naughty Gods, but..

Story?

Drake is my ancestor, let's get his treasure, quirky old guy and generic blonde chick with attitude! Nazis! Betrayal! Revenge! Nazi zombies! My treasure was a dud! We all learned a lesson, though!

Thuh chintamannneee stohn? Let's get this treasure, quirky old guy, diversity hire, and generic blonde chick with attitude! Angry balding Russian man have no qualms about ending little man! Nazis! Yetis! Yetis are really Avatar aliens! Betrayal! Revenge! My treasure is a dud! We all learned a lesson, though!

Drake is my ancestor, let's get his treasure, quirky old guy, diversity hire, and generic blonde chick with attitude! Posh upper crust evil British woman! Betrayal! Revenge! Djinns! My treasure is a dud! We all learned a lesson, though!

Drake is my brother, let's get his treasure, quirky old guy, brother who was written in suddenly, and generic blonde chick with attitude! Betrayal! Revenge! Black woman who beats two grown men's asses several times! Marital issues! So. Much. Climbing. My treasure...isn't a dud? Holy fucking sh-oh wait it's all on fire and under the ocean. We all learned a lesson, though! I think.

Drake is a white man, fuck him. Diversity hire and Strong black woman team up to take down balding middle aged white man who looks like he routinely loses fights with staircases and his blood sugar levels. I think he dies or some shit?

I enjoy Uncharted for the spectacle, the sound design, the visuals, the performances, the set pieces, etc, but story? EHHHHHHH

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Story?

I mean, Uncharted for gameplay isn't exactly fucking pulse pounding riveting ambrosia of the Naughty Gods, but..

Story?

Drake is my ancestor, let's get his treasure, quirky old guy and generic blonde chick with attitude! Nazis! Betrayal! Revenge! Nazi zombies! My treasure was a dud! We all learned a lesson, though!

Thuh chintamannneee stohn? Let's get this treasure, quirky old guy, diversity hire, and generic blonde chick with attitude! Angry balding Russian man have no qualms about ending little man! Nazis! Yetis! Yetis are really Avatar aliens! Betrayal! Revenge! My treasure is a dud! We all learned a lesson, though!

Drake is my ancestor, let's get his treasure, quirky old guy, diversity hire, and generic blonde chick with attitude! Posh upper crust evil British woman! Betrayal! Revenge! Djinns! My treasure is a dud! We all learned a lesson, though!

Drake is my brother, let's get his treasure, quirky old guy, brother who was written in suddenly, and generic blonde chick with attitude! Betrayal! Revenge! Black woman who beats two grown men's asses several times! Marital issues! So. Much. Climbing. My treasure...isn't a dud? Holy fucking sh-oh wait it's all on fire and under the ocean. We all learned a lesson, though! I think.

Drake is a white man, fuck him. Diversity hire and Strong black woman team up to take down balding middle aged white man who looks like he routinely loses fights with staircases and his blood sugar levels. I think he dies or some shit?

I enjoy Uncharted for the spectacle, the sound design, the visuals, the performances, the set pieces, etc, but story? EHHHHHHH
Are You Okay Tv Land GIF by YoungerTV

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I might be a touch under the influence and shit posting. Might. But my thoughts are basically what's in my post, albeit slightly less ranty.

It's a fun game/series to play and like I said, the production values are unmatched, but narratively it's just very simple, easily telegraphed and repeated plot. I get that some of that may be intentional, as the entire series is a love letter to Indiana Jones/Lara Croft, but with that acknowledgment also comes the distinct possibility of just because I get what they're going for doesn't mean I take anything special away from it. You know. But Uncharted 4 is definitely the best storyline in the series, weighed down only by the sudden, random introduction of Sam and the rehash of Elena's general arc in the games.

Though I'll admit that the Elena thing is a little more fleshed out this time around, and the characters do have an arc and resolution making the conflict worthwhile. Other than those two points, I think it's a very narratively solid game. If Uncharted is a repeated formula, 4 is without a doubt the BEST iteration of that formula. It keeps some of its hamfisted popcorn flick tendencies, but the characters have some pathos and four games of weight behind their actions. Fantastic conclusion, probably better than the games before it deserve. Like a Christmas bow on top of an unwrapped FedEx box or something.

There you go. That's my serious post response. Now let me have fun, will ya'?!

YCoCg

2>1>4>3

I liked the pulpy style of the first two more. 3 was designed around set pieces first and you can tell since the story just jumps all over and doesn't make sense, shit, you could literally cut two chapters out of the game and it makes absolutely no difference to the story!

DeepSpace5D

The story in Uncharted 4 is head and shoulders above the PS3 entries. Way better fleshed out story and adventure overall.

4>2>LL>3>1

I haven’t played Golden Abyss.

kyussman

Uncharted 1 - man searches for a treasure in an exotic location.....man is impeded by others also looking for the same treasure.
Uncharted 2 - man searches for a treasure/lost city in an exotic location.....man is impeded by others also looking for the same treasure/lost city.
Uncharted 3 - man searches for a lost city in an exotic location.....man is impeded by others also looking for the same city.
Uncharted 4 - man searches for a lost city in an exotic location.....man is impeded by others also looking for the same city.

Kokoloko85

Lol pacing issues? Why does everyone say this. Its like the lamest reason to not like a game

Like other games are oscar award winning stories and even uncharted 2 was a roller coaster. JRPG’s would be dead if they get judged by pacing issues lol. Same as so many open world games, including GTA

U4, U2, U3, U1.

What sets Uncharted and TLOU games from others is the voice acting, animations, attention to detail When it comes to The acting. No other studio comes close apart from Rockstar

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Story?

Story?

bruh ...

Tom-Holland-f903.gif

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Uncharted 4 might have the better story. . .but it's a shit Uncharted that has Druckmann's DNA all over it ("This story is sooper serious, gotta make sure everyone knows we're making 'art' here!")

. . .2, 1, 3 and 4 way behind would be how I'd rank these.

Top Bottom