• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rank the core Uncharted games based on Story?

Which one is your fave core based on story

• Uncharted 1

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 96 53.3%
  • Uncharted 3

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 54 30.0%
  • Other/Don't like Uncharted

Votes: 11 6.1%

• Total voters

Pilgrimzero

If you want to add in the PSP game go ahead but I've only played it one and remember nothing about it

My most to least fave based purely on story:

1. Uncharted 2
2. Uncharted 3
3. Uncharted 1 (basic story, okay for a first outing)
4. Uncharted 4 (Don't like Sam. Pacing issues. Villain is also lame, oh and jeep parts)

Last edited:
Drake's Deception
A Thief's End
Among Thieves
Drake's Fortune

I really loved UC3 for its story, basically solved all background mysteries about Nathan and Sully, and how Nathan made peace with his inner ego and suffering.

While I thought the past was pretty much done and complete, UC4 really surprised me with adding Sam to the backstory. And Sam overall is more charming as a fortune hunter. Really hope next game features him as protagonist.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not voting as I haven't played 4 yet. I will say that 2 had a pretty good story, and 3 was super bland.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So hard to decide between 2 and 4, I also like 3 for the backstory elements people criticized it for, and the opening bar scene. I did not mind the "young Indy/Drake" theme.

While tonal shifts that they went for in 4 took a bit to get used to, the story was fantastic as far as history-like. Just wish it had a supernatural element. Pirates are RIPE for that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Story?

2 is the most consistent, and it is also the best game.

In terms of backstory and details, it's 3. Unfortunately 4 is not as good as it could have been and you know why.

YukiOnna

Among Thieves onward it's all great and I could easily pick any of my favourite, so ranking wise it's just based on preference. It's a hard tie between Among Thieves (2) and Drake's Deception (3) with U2 having my favourite supernatural elements and the dynamic with Drake, Elena and Chloe was great. U3 had a great dive into Nate's past and his relationship with Sully and the antagonists were the best in the series. A Thief's End falls a bit short because of the lack of any supernatural twist and trying to present it as an end for Nate. It's not something I was asking for, but it's the strongest in how it dealt with Nate's character.

yamaci17

forgot most of the 1-2-3
remember a couple things about 4

i don't know, they are all forgettable to me. action, shoot, kill baddies, gather treasure, make an epic exit, rinse and repeat 1-2-3

4 actually had some actual story telling to it, brother, family stuff. i think UC 2 was remarkably good in terms of its action quality so

4>2>3=1

Pilgrimzero

Started up Lost Legacy again, and now remembering my sort of dislike for it. Also, seems my PS4 Lost Legacy saves didnt transfer over to PS5 for some reason, too late now to fix it.

Anyways, while I like Chloe and Nadine, one of the things I disliked about 4 was the Jeep parts and this whole DLC is driving a Jeep trying to find MacGuffins. UGH. On the other hand, I love the Silenced Pistol which is a better Sniper weapon than a Sniper Rifle.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I can't remember shit but i never cared for bootleg indiana jones and their forgettable villains that much.

The one with Eddy motherfucking raja or unchy 2 i guess, sure as hell not the ones with the young nate sections or the shitty brother.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

U2.

While i understand why some people might prefer 4 or even 3, i don't think the tonal shift fits the setting.
For me its like ranking up from a dumb/nonsensical but fun story, to a less dumb/nonsensical but also less fun story that only ends up coming off as kind of mediocre.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
4 because it's the most appealing story to me.
3 because it was based on Ubar, few kilometers away from my home.

Salz01

UC2 shits on everything else. At no point did the gameplay or story drag. Can’t say the same about the other versions.

begotten

Uncharted 4 and it's not even close. Might not be the best "video game" overall in the series but when you look at just the story aspect it's definitely the best.

Being able to have 3 games before it that built the characters and their relationships to launch from helped a lot.

Ev1L AuRoN

Uncharted 2 is the pinnacle of the series. I liked the 3, but the story wasn't as good, Uncharted 4 is amazing, but the game have some pacing issues for me.

For me:
Uncharted 2 (Perfect Uncharted game)
Uncharted 4 (Gorgeous game, satisfying ending, suffer from story pacing issues)
Uncharted 1 (Strong start for the franchise, have some technical issues)
Uncharted 3 (I love the set pieces, visually stunning, didn't like the story all that much, can't remember much of it)
Didn't played Lost Legacy and didn't finish Golden Abyss...

Pilgrimzero

I can't remember shit but i never cared for bootleg indiana jones and their forgettable villains that much.

The one with Eddy motherfucking raja or unchy 2 i guess, sure as hell not the ones with the young nate sections or the shitty brother.

What/When was the last good Indiana Jones game?

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Uncharted 2 till I die.

I’m shocked people voted 4, between the characters, the writing, the most predictable twist and story ever, the boring flashback chapters, the overdone pirate stuff… but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

TLZ

Banned
Uncharted 2.

Then 1.

3 dragged on for too long. It just wouldn't end.

4 I haven't played yet.

GametimeUK

I say this as someone who has Uncharted 2 in their top 10 games of all time, but if we are talking strictly the story then Uncharted 4 wins for me. I don't think any of them has anything mind-blowing in the story department, but Uncharted 4 is the clear winner for me.

flying_sq

It's close for 2 and 1, I liked the lighter tone of the first one, but man they really went all out on 2. 3 just kind of boring, and splitting all the characters up, and jumping around didn't work well for me. 4 was a good end, but it will never have the fun of the previous games.

THEAP99

Banned
4 by far. Feels a lot more personal. First three are basically the same thing, formula rehashed, like a transformers movie

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I played these games(1-3) for the gameplay only I just skipped past the story stuff and was like "fake Indiana jones meets lara croft got it" all of them like 2/10 story wise awesome gameplay tho it just seemed like fluff I wasn't into it

never played 4 but if the story is stronger going by the replies whenever I do play it I'll actually pay attention or not playstation's narrative games are just blah to me the awesome gameplay of UC was all I cared about

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

I played these games(1-3) for the gameplay only I just skipped past the story stuff and was like "fake Indiana jones meets lara croft got it" all of them like 2/10 story wise awesome gameplay tho it just seemed like fluff I wasn't into it

never played 4 but if the story is stronger going by the replies whenever I do play it I'll actually pay attention or not playstation's narrative games are just blah to me the awesome gameplay of UC was all I cared about

"I skipped all the story and thus give a 2/10".

Yeah okay, dude.

Astral Dog

Writting wise i think Uncharted 3 was the best, the others are a blur, Uncharted 4 had a few charming casual moments when Drake wasn't adventuring

MadPanda

Banned
I hardly remember any story in 5 games I've played. I know I liked 2 a lot when I played it but I can't remember a thing from it.
Also, where's the lost legacy there?

Last edited:
I like 4 the most but I think the first game has a lot of merits with how it is able to establish the characters and the tone.

Lost Legacy has the worst story, very little happens and it all takes place mostly in the same place.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I hardly remember any story in 5 games I've played. I know I liked 2 a lot when I played it but I can't remember a thing from it.

Here is my rundown:

U1. Nazi Skeletons/QTE final boss
U2. Hulk Smurfs
U3. LSD Demons/Young Drake
U4. Heavily loaded frontend with too many cutscenes/grappling hook
LL: Yoga on a mountain

Unknown?

I'm surprised people are saying 2. The villain in 2 is the most unrealistic character ever. Some private dude waging wars across different countries for treasure? He would have had his ass handed to him once the world got wind of it.

Uncharted 2 is a perfect game to me. It does exactly what it set out to do. Make a game version of a Indiana Jones movie. Every dialogue was great.

3's plot makes no sense half the time. Like Cutter showing up out of nowhere.
Or Nate chasing after Sully through a shipyard, a flipping cruise ship, only to find out "Sully" was a doll. Made me feel like a complete waste of time.

4 I only liked Nadine. Definitely didn't buy Troy Baker being Nate's brother for one second. Or that pssy boy you fight in the pirate ship at the end.

0neAnd0nly

When it comes to story, purely, it’s really difficult for me to rank.

I voted #2, Among Thieves, but that is likely more to do with it was my favorite game of the series than purely the story was the best.

I think they were all really strong IMO. It’s one of my favorite gaming franchises ever, they had a great uniqueness even though they all tied together.

#1 introduced a heck of a twist late in the game

#2 was like playing a movie, so epic and fun

#3 formed its own cinematic journey with backstory many longed to see

#4 wrapped up strongly and took us to new places with a lot of interesting historical backdrop and subject. Also #Pirates!

So yeah - so hard for me to choose. All really great IMO.

slade

Uncharted 1 - Loved the story and Drake and Elena kinda reminded me of Douglas and Kennedy in Romancing the Stone. The Nazi angle and the latter levels which seemed straight out of a Survival Horror game only made it much better.

Uncharted 2
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Uncharted 3 - This one was my biggest disappointment. We were due to get some background on Drake and they completely messed it up.

4>3>Psvita>2>1

1 and 2 are good but zombies and mutate monkeys kill the vibes.

Psvita if I remember well was a dictator, 3 everybody was on drug, 4 was pretty good.

Killer8

4 is my favorite in terms of emotional weight. It was an incredibly fitting send off for the series. I can understand people not enjoying the more serious tone though.
2 for obvious reasons. It fixed a lot of the issues in the original game and undoubtedly has the strongest villain in the series.
1 is the classic, if generic, Indiana Jones / Romancing the Stone style adventure. I liked how it kept everything localized to one island, but the story did kind of jump the shark with the mutants.
3 felt like a filler game to me. Great set pieces but with not much glue to hold it all together.

Top Bottom