• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rank the Xenoblade games?

SantaC

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there isnt a single bad game in the series. They are all very good and might be the most consistant JRPG series out there.

How would you rank them?

Story:

1. XBC1 (DE)
2. XBC2
3. XBC3
4. XBX

Comment: the first game had the most interesting story for sure.

Gameplay:

1. XBC3
2. XBX
3. XBC2
4. XBC1 (DE)

Comment: the battle system in XBC3 seems the most refined. The first game is kinda archaic.

Music:

1. XBC1 (DE)
2. XBC2
3. XBC3
4. XBX

Comment: First one is a classic in terms of OST.

Overall:

1. XBC3
2. XBC2
3. XBC1 (DE)
4. XBX

Comment: Close, but latest game is the most fun to play.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
1. XB1
2. XBX
3. XB2

Still haven't played 3 but will fix that soon. XBX had the best exploration and the mechs were awesome but took way too long to get a hold of.

F31 Leopard

X, 1, 2. I haven't had a chance to play 3 yet. Decided I'll pick it up later and work on my backlog instead. I lost interest because Nintendo decided to make the SE edition exclusive their online store and scalpers jumped on it. Deflated my hype for the game.

KàIRóS

1. XC X
2. XC 3
3. XC
4. XC 2

There's just no game out there like XC X, still the best Mecha game until FromSoftware brings back Armored Core.

XC 3 brings all the good things about all the previous games.

XC best story.

XC 2 I hated the Gacha system they used to unlock Blades, frustrating from beginning to end, party members are meh and story takes a long time to get good. Overall it's still a good JRPG with a lot of content though.

JeloSWE

XC 2 - Gacha sux. But great esthetics with and the most memorable maps of all the games in this series. The only one I've managed to finish. Pretty fun battle system as well.

XC 3 - Still on chapter six, classes and battle system are both overwhelming and too simplistic. There is just too much classes and strategies with the ouroboros robots in the mix but too little actual control of characters and strategies. I prefer turn based or FF7R system more where your actions and timing and synergy between characters are more meaningful and easier to full off. Here you are often better of just controlling one character at a time but that one doesn't make a huge difference to the fight and it's incredibly confusing to switch between all the characters as there is no indication on the side bar (with faces) who is currently selected and it's so messy in big battles to see who you switched to, you need to remember the character-order in you head but it's difficult when you need to quickly jump several characters to get to a healer or someone with a desired attack. And it's just so overwhelming to build proper strategies when all the characters are constantly changing classes, I wish there were a character select wheel like how you select weapons in Horizon. Another huge thing that turns me off from this game is the inability to level down at camp as side quests raises you levels so much it ruins any challenge in new areas and thus actively discourages exploration and side content. No I'm not going to play the game twice, I want to do all the things on the first play through but the leveling system has really screwed over the difficulty balance in new areas.
Despite many dislikes, the overall story is good with solid interesting characters and performances from the english cast. But man those grating one liners are killing me.... did you hear that girl with a gall, Lanz want something meatier.

XC 1 - Game was interesting at the time, never finished but came quite far, I had to take a break due to work but never got into it again.

XC X - Tried to play it on a emulator but the blue ring timing was busted at 60 fps so the battles felt ruined to me. I waited on a fix but it never came and not it's been so long I don't care about the game any more. So I feel I'm not qualified to rank the game but the game seemed very impressive other wise and I might very well have finished it if the ring thing had worked as intended.

I should add that I've played and finished all the other Xeno series and loved them all. Honestly the Blade series has been the weakest for me, only XC2 truly held me captive from start to finish.

Last edited:
XB2 has best music and battle scenes; XB1 has overall best plot twists; just finished XB3 last week and really not feeling it, not a powerful conclusion on the trilogy imo.

Sakura

X > 2 > 3
I haven't played the first one.

X was a rather inconsistent experience, but I liked the story and music the most. Also flying around in your mech was just great.
2 was more consistent for me, but overall I just don't think the story was as good as X and I don't really like Rex. I liked most of the character designs though.
3 I don't really like the character designs much, they feel very bland. 2 had nice designs like Homura, Hikari, Nia, etc but 3's characters look like generic mob NPCs made in some character generator. The story was also not as good as either of the other 2 games.

After Final Fantasy VI I lost interest more and more with each game in the series until I basically stopped playing JRPGs. My brother insisted I play Xenoblade and since playing XC1 on the Wii (albeit really late) the series has gone on to reignite my love for this genre. Like old Final Fantasy titles these games are about worlds where lost technologies from the past are the solution to fixing things in the present, villains are not what they appear to be at first and nothing needs to be taken seriously all the time.

To me every game in the series has been fantastic but if I have to order them, 2 - 1 - Torna - 3 - X would be it.

2 had my favorite characters by far, I really enjoyed the story, and I loved the world the game portrayed. How it tied to the first game I was not expecting at all. The battle system in this game was also my favorite overall with the ability to really go nuts on a build with the time put in. I loved the blades and the pver-the -top booberella designs, which made sense after finishing the game. I did not like the gatcha style Core system though. I poured hundreds of hours into the game and still never managed to get all the Blades which really annoyed me. The music in this game was just awesome.
Finding out the world tree was a space elevator landing at Houston space center leading up to the space station you saw in the first game, and the crazy world you've been exploring all this time was just Earth long after it got destroyed by Klaus and realizing Alvis was the missing third Aegis was not something I was expecting at all. Also realizing all the T&A blades were basically created by half of a weeb scientist after ruining the entire world was kind of awesome

1 had a fascinating world with an insane level of scale, the area in the game still feels outright massive and the fact it takes place on two standing gods made the scale even more surreal. The gameplay is comparably dated now but at the time the battle system was a ton of fun to learn and master. The story in this game was great,. Like 2, this game's soundtrack was fantastic.
The story had some pretty great twists with the discovery of the giant who later is revealed to be Zanza, the High entia are Zanza's hidden army created to return all biological life to the Bionis, then Alvis just blurts out he's a computer program and shows Shulk that their world exists due to an experiment performed by a scientist who destroyed his own world to create a new one and that his nemesis Mayneth was actually a co-worker pulled into the new universe with him.

Torna is a prologue to 2 but stands alone perfectly fine. The Adam you keep being told about in XC2 is finally revealed and he's a great character. I expected the gameplay to be copy-paste XC2 but instead it had a new battle system along with a great explanation as to why it was so different, being too poor to afford a second weapon. The world from XC2 500 years in the past was very interesting to explore, I only wish the game had been a full size Xenoblade title and let me explore even more. More great music, including remixed versions of music from XC2.

3 had some great characters, a fun and engaging cast of not just main characters, but a huge roster of Heroes who all felt well fleshed out and memorable. The game's biggest problem for me was that the characters shared a backstory to a degree. All born clones and dropped into a war, die and do it all over. I had a lot of fun with the battle system but found it was too easy to break the game without putting in any real effort. The music was really good, but not as good as the first two and some of the best tracks don't show up until the last chapter of the game, like Melia's battle theme or the Erythia Sea music after getting the upgraded boat.
The world was odd, being a mashup of the other games and in the end the perceived millennia the story covers were in actuality an instant in time as the worlds from the first two games rejoined. The game's ending was one of the saddest endings I can recall as all the memories, friends and relationships that existed in the at temporary universe were essentially a hiccup in time. As you watch the worlds drift apart and the friends run towards each other you get this feeling they'll get to reconnect but then the game slaps you in the face and drops you right after the beginning cutscene as if nothing happened at all. I felt my soul die a little, then a flute plays a sending song which Noah seems to recognize. I have big expectations for the game's expansions.

X was 100% for me exploring Mira and the ridiculous scale of the enemies in the world. To be clear I loved this game a lot and put over 300 hours into it, but it was a different game from the rest of the series, in some ways good but in some ways bad. The characters were not great overall with a few expectations like Elma. I found the majority of the characters to be fairly shallow and some were a bit annoying. I think frankly the create a player was stupid as the character had no character. The game should have just had Elma as the main protagonist. The villains were shitty comic book caliber stuff. The music was hit and miss, some tracks were banging, while others were the New LA theme. The gameplay outside the story relied heavily on a multiplayer mechanic that was shut down before I even played the game. Collecting parts to build level 60 Skells was arduous and after all that work, I quickly discovered that level 60 Skells were worthless. End-game boiled down to going over to the multiplayer hub in the barracks and renting an overpowered character who could one-shot super bosses that were previously swatting my level-60 Skells out of the sky like flies.
The setting was fascinating. Monolith Soft and Mira go back to Baten Kaitos. In that game it was a floating continent that phased in and out of reality, in this game it's a small planet which exists outside space and time, following the rules of neither. Even the invisible walls surrounding the game are discussed in the game, with characters aware that nobody can cross the barriers, The game's ending was a great flip that turned the entire story on its side. I really want to see where this world's story goes.

Last edited:
I haven't played 3 or X yet, but XC1/DE is so much better than 2 in almost every aspect it's not even funny.

Much better characters.
Slight edge on the soundtrack.
Less translation/localization bullshit.
Dunban.
No fucking Blade gatcha.
Rex is one of the worst JRPG protagonists I've ever seen, both design- and personality-wise.
Combat is simpler, yet deeper at the same time; combat in 2 was too complex for its own good, where in the end it's just "setup an elemental sphere and blow it up, repeat until dead", and all characters actually fight very differently.
No Nia though :(

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I need to go back and finish XB2 I stopped because the length is quite daunting when you're not a NEET. Fire game though. Not played XB3 yet obviously.

XB2 has the best designs in the series.

Xenoblade X is the worst game of what I've played though. Could've been a REAL competitor for being the top Xeno game in general if it did something with the narrative. That dark reveal about a third through the game and then nothing. Sad.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I like the story and characters in Xenoblade 2 far more than the other games. I previously rated 3's combat better than 2 but upon reflection I prefer 2's combat the most. Switching Blades on the fly in combat. All the various Driver Art, Blade Arts and Blade Switching linking together seamlessly if your timing is right. 2's combat has a rhythm about it that the rest do not. The level 1 - 4 Blade Arts that feature cool animations and QuickTime presses. 2 is the best by far.

Last edited:

Andyliini

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna
2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
3. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X

In that order. All of them are great, though.

_Ex_

The best Xenoblade game none of you have played:

92280_front.jpg

Soma Bringer (2008)

Made by Monolith Soft, released before the first Xenoblade, remarkably similar and straight up awesome.
Oh and yeah, you can play it in English: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1612/

I don't wanna sound so down on XC3 which I have enjoyed a lot, but the other games absolutely captivated me. I also haven't quite finished XC3 yet, I'm in chapter 7 waiting for the DLC with a new character and challenge arenas before I continue, so maybe the ending will change my feelings about it.

Story

1. XC1 - A perfect and complete Hero's journey that starts in a little town, spans an amazing world of adventure and ends in a cosmic finale.
2. XC2 - While I can't say I've ever been bothered by women having boobies, the other anime tropes like sappy emo villains and exhaustingly long flashbacks explaining their motivations really made the story an eyerolling chore at times. But there were many other wonderful story elements to balance that out. Great moments of action and humour, dramatic setpieces, some wonderful sidestories for your many rare blade characters, awesome late game revelations that contextualize the shared universe of Xenoblade games and a literally perfect ending make it one of the better Xenoblade stories despite the crappy parts.
3. XC3 - It's really good. Some great moments and a few lame ones but I still haven't quite finished it so maybe it can change my mind with a really good ending. From where I'm at now, it looks like the burden of having to tie together other Xenoblades, which they've certainly done an admirable job of, has led to a less interesting story than when Monoliftsoft just tell whatever story they want.
4. XCX - A fantastic premise is wasted by not even trying to tell a story as grand as the other games. It still has some great moments and I love it for what it is, but the story is not where the developers put their energy and it shows.

Characters

1. XC1 - There's something just perfect about this crew. Shulk the bright youngster having to grow up quickly while wrestling with revenge, Reyn the living meme, Dunban the war hero, everyone is great.
2. XC2 - While your crew aren't quite as perfect as XC1, with Rex being a weaker protagonist and cringe emo villains being the most obvious weak points, the game has a rich abundance of weird and wonderful characters because of the rare blade system. You'll also find that a love for the main cast will just creep up on you throughout the course of the game. Plus other great Xeno characters from different titles are in this game in some form, including Shulk, Fiora, Elma and Kosmos.
3. XC3 - They're good, really good even but while the cast are likeable they still don't have the impact of XC1 and XC2. For example Lanz is more than a Reyn clone, he's established as his own person with his own traits, but he's still kind of derivative of Reyn, a big beefy guy yelling at Nopon and calling them furballs. While the hero system does add to the game with cool characters like Grey, they're not as many and not as weird and wonderful as the rare blades in XC2. The villains are the worst of all though. If the villains in XC2 are cringy and anime, at least they have characterization. With some notable exceptions, whenever I'm listening to a Moebius give a long winded, hamboned speech, I feel like there's absolutely nothing to that character at all. They're just there to give that empty speech and turn into a monster so I can kill 'em.
4. XCX - They're fine. The main cast have derpy faces but I don't hate any of them except Tatsu. There are some really cool looking character designs among the villains but this is a make your own hero game with less character development than other Xenoblades.

World

1. XCX - All Xenoblade games have great environments but planet Mira is top of the class. Flying around its vastness in your mech makes exploring incredible environments like Sylvalum or Oblivia a joy.
2. XC2 - This game has some truly excellent locations like Tantal and the Urayan titan but it's also the rules of how XC2's world works that make it such a great world. Things like the different nations and cultures existing on the different titans that roam the cloud sea, and how blades are made of data and so characters from other games can be bonded to a driver in a way that makes perfect sense and fits the rules of the world.
3. XC1 - The extreme care put into crafting the perfect world for an adventure across the bodies of 2 enormous titans led to beloved locations like Gaur Plains and Satorl Marsh. The constraints of the hardware it was originally designed on are evident though.
4. XC3 - It still has great environments, it's a Xenoblade game. But so many of them are connected to/referencing XC1 and XC2. I understand the story purpose for this, but isn't it better when Monoliftsoft just go completely wild making original locations? Also, it's thrilling when you first find the huge ocean you can explore, but ultimately it kind of boils down to a lot of empty space between some small areas you'll visit once and 6 or 7 moderate sized locations to do things on.

Gameplay

1. XCX - Crazy customization to the extreme limit of fun OP brokeness. You can set up your character in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways, go solo against gigantic bosses, it's awesome. The overdrive system is also another amazing chain attack-esque mechanic with its own cool benefits, one that doesn't even require you to stop the action so you can use it in multiplayer mode. Also the game doesn't turn into a blurry mess during intense combat the way XC2 and XC1DE do on the switch, and you can fly around in a frikk'n mech yo.
2. XC2 - Yes, everyone hates gacha, yes the game explains its systems very poorly, but once you DO understand them, combat is a delight. It feels so amazing to take on massive bosses with this admittedly broken tool set, evading huge attacks at just the right time, healing your party with a massive AoE super move and getting crazy damage with fusion combos. The orb system is another great variation on the chain attack mechanic too. And I like upgrading more and more power using the weird challenges in each Blade's affinity charts.
3. XC3 - Very high levels of customization and a truly excellent new iteration of how chain attack works aside, I'm feeling a little underwhelmed by XC3. I still like fighting big monsters in it but...I don't know, it's like they tried really hard to balance things but ending up still having broken mechanics, but the new broken things might be less fun than the old broken things. Or maybe hard mode wasn't a good choice for a first playthrough. I had some really intense, exciting battles in the early game on hard mode, but in the later game the thing that's making hard mode hard is just me wanting to level up my characters in new classes. If I switch them to their best classes it's no trouble to take down the monster I'm fighting but I also lose the benefit of them gaining class points in the classes I'm trying to level up. On the plus side, elite monsters are a great addition to the series, providing a challenge somewhere between a regular enemy and a unique boss monster, and being able to fight in water is a huge step forward.
4. XC1 - I feel bad putting Xenoblade 1 at the bottom because its gameplay really is excellent. Other games added to and improved on many of its systems but some cool things are still mostly Xenoblade 1 only, like Shulk's visions of the future. It also has its own great way of doing chain attacks where you build your damage multiplier with moves of the same colour, although it does have a problem hampering fun where you have to get pretty far into the game before you can do many rounds in a chain attack. It's also really cool how each character's build and personality suits their fighting move set, something lost by more customizable games such as XCX and XC3 and another example of how everything in XC1 fits together tightly, like how the aforementioned visions of the future are very significant to both the gameplay and story.

Music

1. XC1 - Excellent music the whole way, from the title screen to the locations you explore to dramatic story moments and battles. Gaur Plains perfectly captures the sweeping feeling of adventuring in a massive open area, just like how Mechonis Field captures the funkiness of exploring a weird alien robot world, or Fallen Land perfectly captures the feeling of being lost in a new world while walking along a beach at sunset. Engage the Enemy is perfect background music to intense dramatic scenes, and You Will Know our Names is still the best unique monster battle theme... although XC3's unique monster theme is so good you could call it a tie.
2. XC2 - The game deserves this spot for Counterattack alone, the most hype background music to ever punctuate Jrpg drama scenes. But it has tons of other great songs. I actually like the soaring feeling of adventure provided by the Gormott theme even more than Gaur Plains, and other exploration tracks like Mor Ardain, Kingdom of Uraya, Tantal and Yggdrasil are all totally amazing. The only thing holding XC2 back is the battle themes aren't quite as awesome as the other games.
3. XCX - While XCX does have some of the best tracks in all of Xenoblade, it also has some of the worst. So while I might love environment tracks like Oblivia and Noctilum, battle tracks like Wir Fliegen and Uncontrollable and powerful emotional tracks like Codename Z and The Way... I have to acknowledge that you're going to be listening tracks like the very...experimental New LA theme a lot of the time when playing the game.
4. XC3 - I feel bad putting XC3 here the same way I felt bad putting XC1 last for gameplay, because XC3's music is great. It has some really hype battle music like You Will Know Our Names Finale and the Moebius battle theme. But the exploration music isn't quite sticking with me the way it does in other games, I just don't seem to remember any of it. I'm wondering if maybe the areas are too small or something? If I look up the theme music to Ribbi Flats, it's good music, but I just don't feel like I'm ever in Ribbi Flats for a long enough time for it to get stuck in my head so it doesn't seem memorable to me. Meanwhile the largest environment of the game, Erythia Sea, has great music that I do remember.

Overall

1. XCX - It's a weird one, no denying it. As hype as the struggle for human survival is, with all those epic battles set to badass music and cool weird aliens everywhere, it all amounts to zero character development and a mind trip cliffhanger ending. well...There's a sense in which XCX is a game that begins at the end credits screen. That's when you begin pimping out your mech's arsenal so it can be a boss 1-shotting machine. I can honestly say the endgame of powering up, flying around exploring planet Mira's vast environments, tackling every sidequest and beating up every overpowered tyrant left me just as emotional when it was time to say goodbye as any game with a strong cast and story.
2. XC1/XC2 (Tie) I originally gave the edge to XC1 here, but the more I thought about it, the harder it got to say XC1 is better than XC2. XC1 is a game where all its pieces fit together perfectly, from the way music matches each location to the way character's moves fit their personality, so in a sense it is better. XC2 is a game with a ton of problems, from gatcha to tech problems locking people's games, and hammer class sucking, and those field skills everyone hates, and Rex being a little weenus and tedious flashbacks, and so on. But taking the good together with the bad, XC2 has the most good stuff in it of any Xenoblade, in terms of quantity. It's a monster of game jam packed with features and content. There are way more rare blades in XC2 than there are heroes in XC3, and they have more personality too. There's awesome arena challenges, there's beloved characters from other games included into the game along with their music and mechanics, such as Shulk's vision's and Elma's overdrive. And just think of all the things you can do with Poppiswap. Plus there's Torna. That's an entire small game and the richest bit of DLC in the series thus far. Hopefully XC3's DLC content will be just as chunky.
3. XC3 - I'm on chapter 7, waiting for the DLC with robot girl Ino and battle arenas before I continue and see the rest of the game, so perhaps my feelings will change but right now it's a great game that I like a lot. However, every other Xenoblade has been a treasured experience that's very special to me, so this is a huge step down. I don't even know how to explain it, but I feel like making a title where they connect the other Xenoblades together is just not as entertaining as when Monoliftsoft make a totally new game or even a totally new Xenoblade game without such constraints.

I liked Xenoblade 1 and X about the same for different reasons. Mainly 1 had better story/characters, but the world/presentation/exploration in X was mind blowing for me. Still boot it up sometimes just to fly around the map.

Haven’t played 2 or 3. I kinda lost interest after X because I thought the games were taking a Final Fantasy approach to sequels (as in each game being it’s own contained story) which to me is more interesting than doing direct sequels story wise (at least when it comes to long RPGs). Also didn’t like the more anime style 2 had compared to the other games.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I'm about halfway through 3, but so far:

XBC2
XBC3
XBC1
XBX

That said, I love them all. This shouldn't be interpreted as me thinking XBC1/XBX are bad games. They're not. They're all great.

alf717

I don't wanna sound so down on XC3 which I have enjoyed a lot, but the other games absolutely captivated me. I also haven't quite finished XC3 yet, I'm in chapter 7 waiting for the DLC with a new character and challenge arenas before I continue, so maybe the ending will change my feelings about it.

Story

1. XC1 - A perfect and complete Hero's journey that starts in a little town, spans an amazing world of adventure and ends in a cosmic finale.
2. XC2 - While I can't say I've ever been bothered by women having boobies, the other anime tropes like sappy emo villains and exhaustingly long flashbacks explaining their motivations really made the story an eyerolling chore at times. But there were many other wonderful story elements to balance that out. Great moments of action and humour, dramatic setpieces, some wonderful sidestories for your many rare blade characters, awesome late game revelations that contextualize the shared universe of Xenoblade games and a literally perfect ending make it one of the better Xenoblade stories despite the crappy parts.
3. XC3 - It's really good. Some great moments and a few lame ones but I still haven't quite finished it so maybe it can change my mind with a really good ending. From where I'm at now, it looks like the burden of having to tie together other Xenoblades, which they've certainly done an admirable job of, has led to a less interesting story than when Monoliftsoft just tell whatever story they want.
4. XCX - A fantastic premise is wasted by not even trying to tell a story as grand as the other games. It still has some great moments and I love it for what it is, but the story is not where the developers put their energy and it shows.

Characters

1. XC1 - There's something just perfect about this crew. Shulk the bright youngster having to grow up quickly while wrestling with revenge, Reyn the living meme, Dunban the war hero, everyone is great.
2. XC2 - While your crew aren't quite as perfect as XC1, with Rex being a weaker protagonist and cringe emo villains being the most obvious weak points, the game has a rich abundance of weird and wonderful characters because of the rare blade system. You'll also find that a love for the main cast will just creep up on you throughout the course of the game. Plus other great Xeno characters from different titles are in this game in some form, including Shulk, Fiora, Elma and Kosmos.
3. XC3 - They're good, really good even but while the cast are likeable they still don't have the impact of XC1 and XC2. For example Lanz is more than a Reyn clone, he's established as his own person with his own traits, but he's still kind of derivative of Reyn, a big beefy guy yelling at Nopon and calling them furballs. While the hero system does add to the game with cool characters like Grey, they're not as many and not as weird and wonderful as the rare blades in XC2. The villains are the worst of all though. If the villains in XC2 are cringy and anime, at least they have characterization. With some notable exceptions, whenever I'm listening to a Moebius give a long winded, hamboned speech, I feel like there's absolutely nothing to that character at all. They're just there to give that empty speech and turn into a monster so I can kill 'em.
4. XCX - They're fine. The main cast have derpy faces but I don't hate any of them except Tatsu. There are some really cool looking character designs among the villains but this is a make your own hero game with less character development than other Xenoblades.

World

1. XCX - All Xenoblade games have great environments but planet Mira is top of the class. Flying around its vastness in your mech makes exploring incredible environments like Sylvalum or Oblivia a joy.
2. XC2 - This game has some truly excellent locations like Tantal and the Urayan titan but it's also the rules of how XC2's world works that make it such a great world. Things like the different nations and cultures existing on the different titans that roam the cloud sea, and how blades are made of data and so characters from other games can be bonded to a driver in a way that makes perfect sense and fits the rules of the world.
3. XC1 - The extreme care put into crafting the perfect world for an adventure across the bodies of 2 enormous titans led to beloved locations like Gaur Plains and Satorl Marsh. The constraints of the hardware it was originally designed on are evident though.
4. XC3 - It still has great environments, it's a Xenoblade game. But so many of them are connected to/referencing XC1 and XC2. I understand the story purpose for this, but isn't it better when Monoliftsoft just go completely wild making original locations? Also, it's thrilling when you first find the huge ocean you can explore, but ultimately it kind of boils down to a lot of empty space between some small areas you'll visit once and 6 or 7 moderate sized locations to do things on.

Gameplay

1. XCX - Crazy customization to the extreme limit of fun OP brokeness. You can set up your character in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways, go solo against gigantic bosses, it's awesome. The overdrive system is also another amazing chain attack-esque mechanic with its own cool benefits, one that doesn't even require you to stop the action so you can use it in multiplayer mode. Also the game doesn't turn into a blurry mess during intense combat the way XC2 and XC1DE do on the switch, and you can fly around in a frikk'n mech yo.
2. XC2 - Yes, everyone hates gacha, yes the game explains its systems very poorly, but once you DO understand them, combat is a delight. It feels so amazing to take on massive bosses with this admittedly broken tool set, evading huge attacks at just the right time, healing your party with a massive AoE super move and getting crazy damage with fusion combos. The orb system is another great variation on the chain attack mechanic too. And I like upgrading more and more power using the weird challenges in each Blade's affinity charts.
3. XC3 - Very high levels of customization and a truly excellent new iteration of how chain attack works aside, I'm feeling a little underwhelmed by XC3. I still like fighting big monsters in it but...I don't know, it's like they tried really hard to balance things but ending up still having broken mechanics, but the new broken things might be less fun than the old broken things. Or maybe hard mode wasn't a good choice for a first playthrough. I had some really intense, exciting battles in the early game on hard mode, but in the later game the thing that's making hard mode hard is just me wanting to level up my characters in new classes. If I switch them to their best classes it's no trouble to take down the monster I'm fighting but I also lose the benefit of them gaining class points in the classes I'm trying to level up. On the plus side, elite monsters are a great addition to the series, providing a challenge somewhere between a regular enemy and a unique boss monster, and being able to fight in water is a huge step forward.
4. XC1 - I feel bad putting Xenoblade 1 at the bottom because its gameplay really is excellent. Other games added to and improved on many of its systems but some cool things are still mostly Xenoblade 1 only, like Shulk's visions of the future. It also has its own great way of doing chain attacks where you build your damage multiplier with moves of the same colour, although it does have a problem hampering fun where you have to get pretty far into the game before you can do many rounds in a chain attack. It's also really cool how each character's build and personality suits their fighting move set, something lost by more customizable games such as XCX and XC3 and another example of how everything in XC1 fits together tightly, like how the aforementioned visions of the future are very significant to both the gameplay and story.

Music

1. XC1 - Excellent music the whole way, from the title screen to the locations you explore to dramatic story moments and battles. Gaur Plains perfectly captures the sweeping feeling of adventuring in a massive open area, just like how Mechonis Field captures the funkiness of exploring a weird alien robot world, or Fallen Land perfectly captures the feeling of being lost in a new world while walking along a beach at sunset. Engage the Enemy is perfect background music to intense dramatic scenes, and You Will Know our Names is still the best unique monster battle theme... although XC3's unique monster theme is so good you could call it a tie.
2. XC2 - The game deserves this spot for Counterattack alone, the most hype background music to ever punctuate Jrpg drama scenes. But it has tons of other great songs. I actually like the soaring feeling of adventure provided by the Gormott theme even more than Gaur Plains, and other exploration tracks like Mor Ardain, Kingdom of Uraya, Tantal and Yggdrasil are all totally amazing. The only thing holding XC2 back is the battle themes aren't quite as awesome as the other games.
3. XCX - While XCX does have some of the best tracks in all of Xenoblade, it also has some of the worst. So while I might love environment tracks like Oblivia and Noctilum, battle tracks like Wir Fliegen and Uncontrollable and powerful emotional tracks like Codename Z and The Way... I have to acknowledge that you're going to be listening tracks like the very...experimental New LA theme a lot of the time when playing the game.
4. XC3 - I feel bad putting XC3 here the same way I felt bad putting XC1 last for gameplay, because XC3's music is great. It has some really hype battle music like You Will Know Our Names Finale and the Moebius battle theme. But the exploration music isn't quite sticking with me the way it does in other games, I just don't seem to remember any of it. I'm wondering if maybe the areas are too small or something? If I look up the theme music to Ribbi Flats, it's good music, but I just don't feel like I'm ever in Ribbi Flats for a long enough time for it to get stuck in my head so it doesn't seem memorable to me. Meanwhile the largest environment of the game, Erythia Sea, has great music that I do remember.

Overall

1. XCX - It's a weird one, no denying it. As hype as the struggle for human survival is, with all those epic battles set to badass music and cool weird aliens everywhere, it all amounts to zero character development and a mind trip cliffhanger ending. well...There's a sense in which XCX is a game that begins at the end credits screen. That's when you begin pimping out your mech's arsenal so it can be a boss 1-shotting machine. I can honestly say the endgame of powering up, flying around exploring planet Mira's vast environments, tackling every sidequest and beating up every overpowered tyrant left me just as emotional when it was time to say goodbye as any game with a strong cast and story.
2. XC1/XC2 (Tie) I originally gave the edge to XC1 here, but the more I thought about it, the harder it got to say XC1 is better than XC2. XC1 is a game where all its pieces fit together perfectly, from the way music matches each location to the way character's moves fit their personality, so in a sense it is better. XC2 is a game with a ton of problems, from gatcha to tech problems locking people's games, and hammer class sucking, and those field skills everyone hates, and Rex being a little weenus and tedious flashbacks, and so on. But taking the good together with the bad, XC2 has the most good stuff in it of any Xenoblade, in terms of quantity. It's a monster of game jam packed with features and content. There are way more rare blades in XC2 than there are heroes in XC3, and they have more personality too. There's awesome arena challenges, there's beloved characters from other games included into the game along with their music and mechanics, such as Shulk's vision's and Elma's overdrive. And just think of all the things you can do with Poppiswap. Plus there's Torna. That's an entire small game and the richest bit of DLC in the series thus far. Hopefully XC3's DLC content will be just as chunky.
3. XC3 - I'm on chapter 7, waiting for the DLC with robot girl Ino and battle arenas before I continue and see the rest of the game, so perhaps my feelings will change but right now it's a great game that I like a lot. However, every other Xenoblade has been a treasured experience that's very special to me, so this is a huge step down. I don't even know how to explain it, but I feel like making a title where they connect the other Xenoblades together is just not as entertaining as when Monoliftsoft make a totally new game or even a totally new Xenoblade game without such constraints.
After Final Fantasy VI I lost interest more and more with each game in the series until I basically stopped playing JRPGs. My brother insisted I play Xenoblade and since playing XC1 on the Wii (albeit really late) the series has gone on to reignite my love for this genre. Like old Final Fantasy titles these games are about worlds where lost technologies from the past are the solution to fixing things in the present, villains are not what they appear to be at first and nothing needs to be taken seriously all the time.

To me every game in the series has been fantastic but if I have to order them, 2 - 1 - Torna - 3 - X would be it.

2 had my favorite characters by far, I really enjoyed the story, and I loved the world the game portrayed. How it tied to the first game I was not expecting at all. The battle system in this game was also my favorite overall with the ability to really go nuts on a build with the time put in. I loved the blades and the pver-the -top booberella designs, which made sense after finishing the game. I did not like the gatcha style Core system though. I poured hundreds of hours into the game and still never managed to get all the Blades which really annoyed me. The music in this game was just awesome.
Finding out the world tree was a space elevator landing at Houston space center leading up to the space station you saw in the first game, and the crazy world you've been exploring all this time was just Earth long after it got destroyed by Klaus and realizing Alvis was the missing third Aegis was not something I was expecting at all. Also realizing all the T&A blades were basically created by half of a weeb scientist after ruining the entire world was kind of awesome

1 had a fascinating world with an insane level of scale, the area in the game still feels outright massive and the fact it takes place on two standing gods made the scale even more surreal. The gameplay is comparably dated now but at the time the battle system was a ton of fun to learn and master. The story in this game was great,. Like 2, this game's soundtrack was fantastic.
The story had some pretty great twists with the discovery of the giant who later is revealed to be Zanza, the High entia are Zanza's hidden army created to return all biological life to the Bionis, then Alvis just blurts out he's a computer program and shows Shulk that their world exists due to an experiment performed by a scientist who destroyed his own world to create a new one and that his nemesis Mayneth was actually a co-worker pulled into the new universe with him.

Torna is a prologue to 2 but stands alone perfectly fine. The Adam you keep being told about in XC2 is finally revealed and he's a great character. I expected the gameplay to be copy-paste XC2 but instead it had a new battle system along with a great explanation as to why it was so different, being too poor to afford a second weapon. The world from XC2 500 years in the past was very interesting to explore, I only wish the game had been a full size Xenoblade title and let me explore even more. More great music, including remixed versions of music from XC2.

3 had some great characters, a fun and engaging cast of not just main characters, but a huge roster of Heroes who all felt well fleshed out and memorable. The game's biggest problem for me was that the characters shared a backstory to a degree. All born clones and dropped into a war, die and do it all over. I had a lot of fun with the battle system but found it was too easy to break the game without putting in any real effort. The music was really good, but not as good as the first two and some of the best tracks don't show up until the last chapter of the game, like Melia's battle theme or the Erythia Sea music after getting the upgraded boat.
The world was odd, being a mashup of the other games and in the end the perceived millennia the story covers were in actuality an instant in time as the worlds from the first two games rejoined. The game's ending was one of the saddest endings I can recall as all the memories, friends and relationships that existed in the at temporary universe were essentially a hiccup in time. As you watch the worlds drift apart and the friends run towards each other you get this feeling they'll get to reconnect but then the game slaps you in the face and drops you right after the beginning cutscene as if nothing happened at all. I felt my soul die a little, then a flute plays a sending song which Noah seems to recognize. I have big expectations for the game's expansions.

X was 100% for me exploring Mira and the ridiculous scale of the enemies in the world. To be clear I loved this game a lot and put over 300 hours into it, but it was a different game from the rest of the series, in some ways good but in some ways bad. The characters were not great overall with a few expectations like Elma. I found the majority of the characters to be fairly shallow and some were a bit annoying. I think frankly the create a player was stupid as the character had no character. The game should have just had Elma as the main protagonist. The villains were shitty comic book caliber stuff. The music was hit and miss, some tracks were banging, while others were the New LA theme. The gameplay outside the story relied heavily on a multiplayer mechanic that was shut down before I even played the game. Collecting parts to build level 60 Skells was arduous and after all that work, I quickly discovered that level 60 Skells were worthless. End-game boiled down to going over to the multiplayer hub in the barracks and renting an overpowered character who could one-shot super bosses that were previously swatting my level-60 Skells out of the sky like flies.
The setting was fascinating. Monolith Soft and Mira go back to Baten Kaitos. In that game it was a floating continent that phased in and out of reality, in this game it's a small planet which exists outside space and time, following the rules of neither. Even the invisible walls surrounding the game are discussed in the game, with characters aware that nobody can cross the barriers, The game's ending was a great flip that turned the entire story on its side. I really want to see where this world's story goes.

Both of your writes up capture how I feel about Xenoblade 3. I could add a few more things but they would be a bit on the nitpicky side. Overall a good game but it falls short of Xenoblade 1 and 2. Looking forward to what Monolith is working on next. Hoping the story DLC for Xenoblade 3 turned out as good or better than Torna. Looking forward to a potential Xenoblade 4 or whatever Tetsuya Takahashi meant in that email mentioned in the OT.

Last edited:

Brigandier

2 > 1 > 3 > X

My opinions of which is best out of 1 and 2 change constantly 🤣

They're both imho top tier, Amazing world's with great exploration, great ost, great characters and stories.

I love the Xeno series it's a great escape for a good while playing these games.

Top Bottom