• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well does Morrowind hold up in 2021?

Juza

I hate when the quest giver says: "I've marked it on your map" < the most common sentence in modern open worlds games! no details, no hints about the quest location, it is just a point on the map. hassle-free quest design.

Cyberpunkd

A lot of people will say its better than Oblivion and Skyrim, but imo it isnt.
detector heresy GIF

Best ES game by far, the atmosphere is unmatched.

Filben

I like no quest markers and I'm glad a mainstream game, which it had become now, like Elden Ring introduces a new generation of gamers into that. Hope more developers go back to it for the reason you interact differently, more naturally, immersive, and less mechanically with the world and environment.

Growing up with games like Gothic, Morrowind, Fallout 1 and 2, it was standard to look for clues. And if the world isn't interesting enough to explore, why even bother to begin with it? Could have played a different game then.
Agreed, having it on SteamDeck with openWM easily installed through Luxtorpeda (or Oblivion with the NorthernUI mod) and nice gamepad support… mmmmh… so good 😊.
How do I do that? Would love to play it again, but modding it to a state I'm enjoying it is always a hassle.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I like no quest markers and I'm glad a mainstream game, which it had become now, like Elden Ring introduces a new generation of gamers into that. Hope more developers go back to it for the reason you interact differently, more naturally, immersive, and less mechanically with the world and environment.

Growing up with games like Gothic, Morrowind, Fallout 1 and 2, it was standard to look for clues. And if the world isn't interesting enough to explore, why even bother to begin with it? Could have played a different game then.

How do I do that? Would love to play it again, but modding it to a state I'm enjoying it is always a hassle.
If you use Luxtorpeda it is very easy but you can do it with a bit more effort like so:

Installing OBSE + NorthernUI:
More complete guide at: https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-deck-ot-your-games-are-going-places.556834/post-86633702

Bought Morrowind and Oblivion from Steam and used those guides (for the gamepad support in Oblivion I downloaded a community layout, made a small customisation as it was built to map keyboard and mouse controls to the SteamDeck which interferes with GamePad support in NorthernUI) and reshared it (will give you a link when I am back on the Deck later).

Last edited:

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
I hate when the quest giver says: "I've marked it on your map" < the most common sentence in modern open worlds games! no details, no hints about the quest location, it is just a point on the map. hassle-free quest design.
Part of that is development issues, the writers may not have a world space to refer to because it not done. Also lazy game players want to be shown exactly where to go. But yeah it would be nice at least try to do a description.

Sorcerer

For me the problem with Morrowind was that I figured out how to do an endless cycle of 'crafting' / trading / buffing to make myself essentially infinitely powerful just using the game systems, which breaks the whole thing. It's like godmode and takes the fun out of the game, even moreso than the extremely shitty combat when you're weak. When you know how to abuse the game you then have to pick your own difficulty by abusing the game mechanics just the right amount, and that's no fun to me. That's a very role play thing though I admit, and I think that's what Morriwnd requires, you have to give a bit yourself to truly enjoy it.
I remember having my magic character sit in water and electrocute fish for about a week till I maxed out my stats. Then I started the game. Before that I found the game too rough for my characters build. The game didn't seem to have a middle ground for certain character builds, go godlike or die. After all that I still had to be handy with an Ax. I loved the rest of the game. I had 2 Xbox's with bad cd drives, so I never got around to the expansions.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
In morrowind the quest location is documented in your journal complete with description on where about it is. The marker on the map ist just a bonus.

Last edited:

JayK47

Morrowind has insane amounts of content compared to everything they have made since. It is one of a few games I wish would get a solid remake. Character models were ass and there are some mods that make improvements. You really had to earn and work your way up in that world. I remember when I first played it, all I had was a rusty knife and I was killed by a mud crab. Fucking brutal.

If you have no personal connection or memories of a (significantly) older game, then in 99% of cases I would recommend better not to play it.

That's at least my experience.

Filben

If you use Luxtorpeda it is very easy but you can do it with a bit more effort like so:

Installing OBSE + NorthernUI:
More complete guide at: https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-deck-ot-your-games-are-going-places.556834/post-86633702

Bought Morrowind and Oblivion from Steam and used those guides (for the gamepad support in Oblivion I downloaded a community layout, made a small customisation as it was built to map keyboard and mouse controls to the SteamDeck which interferes with GamePad support in NorthernUI) and reshared it (will give you a link when I am back on the Deck later).

Easy as pie and worked like a charm! But man, performance isn't really good with 30fps-ish in the first area when creating a character, no matter what graphics settings. But it still feels considerably smooth for 30fps and not as choppy as some other games with heavy micro stutter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Easy as pie and worked like a charm! But man, performance isn't really good with 30fps-ish in the first area when creating a character, no matter what graphics settings. But it still feels considerably smooth for 30fps and not as choppy as some other games with heavy micro stutter.
Interesting, need to check the performance I am getting. It seems to be smooth enough as is (I did disable the new transparent water setting, not sure if they call it refractive water setting, to make it look closer to OG Morrowind water, not quite the same).

It seemed smooth enough during gameplay (maybe my memory of Morrowind on Xbox is kind of tricking me here hehe), but with widescreen aspect ratio (you may have to force 1200x800 manually) and pushing draw distance very far I was happy enough :). Works better than on XSX as you are limited to 4:3 aspect ratio on it.

Sorcerer

For me being a console gamer only at that point. Morrowind on Xbox was quite an eye-opener. All you had to do was drop something by mistake that you needed (a quest item), not know where you lost it in the huge open world, and that was it, your quest was toast. Up to that point I don't think that things like that were even allowed to happen in console games (that I know of).

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Looking at the age of this thread tells you all anyone needs to know..

It was good then
It's good now
And it'll be good in twenty years!

The best Elder scrolls to date.

stn

So Morrowind is probably my favorite game... ever. So many amazing memories. I think it was the first RPG where I truly truly felt like I was on an adventure.

I think what GOAT'd Morrowind for me was when
I was wandering around in Vivec, only to see the floating city high up, and then wondering if I could make a levitate potion that would allow me to go up there. Spoiler: yes.

Its a game where there are no limits and you can actually break it in many amazing ways.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is next gen since you can play it in VR too (gonna need plenty quality enhancing mods on top though) :d

Can't find good videos of it showcasing the basics so this will have to do, lol.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

A lot of console gamers never played an open world RPG like Oblivion before, only playing JRPGs prior, so the novelty was certainly very strong here.

Meanwhile for long time cRPG fans it was one of the biggest disappointments ever in gaming, especially with all the hype they built up prior to the release. It's the game that's often looked at as being the symbol of the decline of RPGs, leading to the more dumbed down hand hold-y type experiences that we know all too well from modern AAA gaming.

Plus it gave us the infamous horse armor DLC that numerous people purchased.

Overall i thought Oblivion was decent but i hated the leveling system. The Shivering Isles expansion was really damn good though.

Top Bottom