• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How soon can we expect to build a PC comparable to Series X at a affordable price

Fbh

I think someone said chip shortages could go on until at least 2023.

Fucking sucks. First gen I had finally made up my mind about going with PC and the proces suddenly got ridiculous

Orion2

Banned
Cool, but OP already knows that and this fact doesn't help him/her. Are you thing to help OP or just are here just to make pc/console war?
the question was if he can make a PC under 1K same or better as a top next gen console, I said no for 500, 500 is under 1000, any more questions? are you here to give your opinion on the topic or respond to me with your PC MASTER RACE keyboard Jedi spam force stuff?

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

JackMcGunns

500 is under 1000 so OP got his answer, you seem lost, I don't know what you think you're doing here, but like I said before, nothing you say will change the fact of PCs not being able to match a console for $500, which seems to bother you a lot

He might be out of touch assuming console's are still stuck at 30fps. Series X and PS5 have been pretty much 60fps for all games thanks to the Zen 2 CPU that replaced the Jaguar cores that were basically the bottleneck. But even when we do get to the point where games are so advanced that a 30fps target is the only choice for consoles, it goes without saying that a competitively priced rig that can overcome this limitation is currently impossible. Eventually it will be possible over time, but then again, you have a potential Series X refresh console that will once again overcome the value proposition .

The solution is simple really, you get a Series X, unless money is of no issue and you spend thousands on a new rig that matches or exceeds Series X (OP doesn't want this) or you buy a Series X for $500 now and enjoy next gen 60fps goodness, it's the best value the sooner you get it, the only reason not to is if you're trying to avoid Xbox at all costs for warrior reasons.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
the question was if he can make a PC under 1K same or better as a top next gen console, I said no for 500, 500 is under 1000, any more questions? are you here to give your opinion on the topic or respond to me with your PC MASTER RACE keyboard Jedi spam force stuff?
Neo member and already with "dirty peasant complex". Not surprising...

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I have always thought that trying to match a new major console (not looking at you, stupid Nintendo) in terms of raw power and similar budget was foolish. The Xbox and Playstation consoles are either taking a small loss, or making a marginal amount of money on the consoles themselves. By contrast, every part you want to buy to build a PC is going to be marked up so the respective companies can make a nice profit.

You could look into buying used items on Craigslist or eBay, but even then you're not going to get performance-matching products at a price around (or below) the consoles until better PC technology comes out to make the existing technology less expensive. So to match the XSX and PS5 in terms of raw power and price you're looking at a several years-long wait (at least) unless some schmuck way undersells something on a site like the ones previously mentioned. And that's disregarding the semiconductor chip shortage. With this shortage, who knows?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Rumored Navi31 (top RDNA3 GPU) will have 6x more compute shaders than full ps5 chip. So we can assume that small RDNA3 gpus at sub 300$ will be faster than PS5.
So the answer is, if you want cheap GPU which can beat consoles you will need to wait till end of 2022.
You can get a 6600xt for around $300 that had PS5 performance. IIRC a 3060 smokes a ps5.

dcx4610

PCs just aren't for gaming. Granted a lot of people are so used to doing everything on their phone (I'm not), it's not fair to just think a PC is only for gaming. It's an entire entertainment hub and once you do the initial investment, you can just keep upgrading parts. So yeah, you might pay a little more but it will last you a lot longer than a console and you don't have to scrap your entire computer to upgrade.

If you aren't into doing that, it's hard to compete with $500 for a console and would hard to build a PC for the same price.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
He might be out of touch assuming console's are still stuck at 30fps. Series X and PS5 have been pretty much 60fps for all games thanks to the Zen 2 CPU that replaced the Jaguar cores that were basically the bottleneck. But even when we do get to the point where games are so advanced that a 30fps target is the only choice for consoles, it goes without saying that a competitively priced rig that can overcome this limitation is currently impossible. Eventually it will be possible over time, but then again, you have a potential Series X refresh console that will once again overcome the value proposition .

The solution is simple really, you get a Series X, unless money is of no issue and you spend thousands on a new rig that matches or exceeds Series X (OP doesn't want this) or you buy a Series X for $500 now and enjoy next gen 60fps goodness, it's the best value the sooner you get it, the only reason not to is if you're trying to avoid Xbox at all costs for warrior reasons.

I don't feel the need for a Series X simply because I already own a PS5. And Gamepass is also something that doesn't appeal for me as I don't play that many games a year. The reason why I want a PC over a Series X is because there are other things I want to do on a PC. First of all the backwards compatibility is way better games from way back can be improved, I can play something like say Dishonored in 4K/120fps. Sonic Generations in 4K/60fps. I can't play Sonic Generations in 4K on a Series X. Finally I can try out cool mods. I can emulate recent systems like Switch and PS3. You have Steam Sales, not just from Steam but 3rd parties like Humble Bundle. Finally I like that there is no online fee, I'm already paying for PSN, I'd hate to pay for 2 online subs at the same time. I am also getting Steam Deck and if Valve can get it right where there are cloud saves and I can play on the PC and carry on where I left off on a Deck that's also appealing for me.

There just is no reason for me to have a PS5 and Series X, that combination just would be a waste for me.

As for affordable I said a budget of £1000, I can even go upto to £1200. I personally feel I can easily match a Series X with that budget by end of 2022 early 2023 if mining and covid calms down by then. I didn't say I want a gaming PC to be the same price as a Series X as I know PCs are more expensive.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

For purely gaming the console is better bang for your buck. (and that gamepass console is more complete than gamepass pc, if you plan on doing gp)

My guess is it will take 2-3 years to be able to build something similar for a budget price. (sub 1k)

To be fair you can survive just with the steam deck for a while OP, buy the dock, hook it up to a monitor and use it as a normal PC, maybe install windows on it. undock it and take it portable, will be way cheaper and be instantly available for you.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
For purely gaming the console is better bang for your buck. (and that gamepass console is more complete than gamepass pc, if you plan on doing gp)

My guess is it will take 2-3 years to be able to build something similar for a budget price. (sub 1k)

To be fair you can survive just with the steam deck for a while OP, buy the dock, hook it up to a monitor and use it as a normal PC, maybe install windows on it. undock it and take it portable, will be way cheaper and be instantly available for you.

Yep that's what I'm planning to do.

When I get a Steam Deck I'm going to player older games at higher resolutions and framerates, things like Sonic Generations and Dishonored I'm sure I can hook my Steam Deck onto my TV and play at 4K/60 which both Series X and PS5 can't do for older games. I'll probably enjoy my Steam Deck and use it as a way to get back into Steam ecosystem. Then hopefully once everything calms down around 2023 I can see how the market is for a gaming PC. That's the reason I made the thread, to ask if I can get something at a decent price by 2022/2023.

Barakov

It always bewilders me why someone would want a PC on par with a console. If you want a PC why wouldn't you want to spend the money that would eclipse the horsepower of consoles? To be frank, you don't even need to buy a high end PC to do that.

FrozenFlame

Fucking sucks. First gen I had finally made up my mind about going with PC and the proces suddenly got ridiculous
Feel your pain. Lost my interest in consoles and was waiting for the 30XX to come out. At this rate, I'll buy a prebuild next year...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Never as long as those parts are relevant.
These graphics cards are price of xbox alone at msrp... and we are still not at even msrp

Jagz

Unlike PC part component companies, Microsoft can afford to sell at / near loss on hardware, while they make it up in software and service sales.

You get what you pay for, though: you buy a console and get Trojan Horsed in to their walled garden, their paid online service, lack of graphic options, mods and none of the freedom of a PC.

KAL2006

Banned
I've joined a pc parts telegram and could have easily got a 3080 for £670 or a 3060Ti for £370.

However I'm now having second thoughts about a gaming PC. I may stick to PS5 and Steam Deck combo. I've read a the electricity cost of a Gaming PC is huge, in comparison to say something like a PS5 the GPU alone takes more energy than an entire PS5 so imagine the rest of it, the fans, the CPU etc. The UK just announced energy prices being raised from October just after another price hike for energy costs under a year ago. I think things like energy consumption costs is something PC gamers never look at.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I've joined a pc parts telegram and could have easily got a 3080 for £670 or a 3060Ti for £370.

However I'm now having second thoughts about a gaming PC. I may stick to PS5 and Steam Deck combo. I've read a the electricity cost of a Gaming PC is huge, in comparison to say something like a PS5 the GPU alone takes more energy than an entire PS5 so imagine the rest of it, the fans, the CPU etc. The UK just announced energy prices being raised from October just after another price hike for energy costs under a year ago. I think things like energy consumption costs is something PC gamers never look at.
Steam Deck may be only good for 800p. 1080p+ will be a IQ mess. If you are ok with that, go for it.

KAL2006

Banned
Steam Deck may be only good for 800p. 1080p+ will be a IQ mess. If you are ok with that, go for it.

I will only be playing older games on Steam Deck, PS3 and 360 Gen games which hopefully I can play at 4K60 on my TV. Then of course I will make use of portable gaming for emulation, older games and indie games. I think I will wait and see how often PS5 will allow 60fps in there games so far it seems good I'm thinking maybe because of PS4 crappy CPU it was a PS4 issue that we had so many 30fps games. As for unlatched games like Horizon and other PS4 games having no 60fps I guess it's something I have to deal with as long as future games are 60fps.

I'm still going to see how PC gaming is around 2022/2023 but I'm definitely not going to get a power hungry GPU. I will look at 3070 GPU as my higher end.

Last edited:
Well, if you are willing to build a pc by the end of 2022 or early 2023, then you might get a price close to the now-gen/current-gen consoles.

PeteBull

The problem is the prices, it's expensive, I wouldn't want to spend more than £1k (doesn't include monitor, mouse and keyboad as I already have those). But I've been reading because of mining and Corona prices are higher and will be high even upto 2023. I don't even mind waiting for prices to drop down to around by fall 2022 (when Starfield releases) but I just have a feeling prices will never go down even after years of waiting.
There u go ethereum price graph https://www.coindesk.com/price/ethereum , it directly corresponds to the price/mark up of basically all gpu's- only exception is gt 1030- that one is only bit above msrp coz cant be mined on, few other exceptions that have really bad mining capabilities are 3gb and 6gb 1060, and those older amd cards with crazy power requirements vs what their hashrate is, the ones that launched before polaris cards(so before rx 480/470).

Basically u wanna eth price to go at least under 1k usd for cards to be at/close to msrp, coz only then its not worth for miners to buy all of them from stores at prices higher from msrp's, and this will happen to future releases- if nividia's rtx 4000 series and amd's rx 7000 series are any good at mining(and no, 50% hash rate is way too low nerf, for those cards to be not worth it for miners they only should mine at 10% of normal rate) w/e their avaiability will be miners will buy everything out, coz its pure profit for them, they will buy all of those cards, make cash, then buy out anything else thats avaiable.

And no- pandemy/shortages all that shit, even tho it has some small effect, its drop in the sea vs miners buying everything(!!!) at prices 2x higher vs what msrp/gamers can/are willing to pay for. U see proof with record profits/sold cards by both amd and nvidia whole last year, yet if u look at steam survey u barely see any of those new gpu's are in the hands of gamers https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/.

Most popular gpu is still old af gtx 1060, that launched in 2016 for 250$ msrp- from new series cards u get rtx 3070 at 1,38% from nvidia and even deeper down the line rx 5700xt at 0,8%, nothing from rx 6000 amd series- all went to miners.

Just to give u an idea how lil of the new cards are in gamers hands- superexpensive rtx 3090 is at 0,38%- u would think much cheaper cards should easily have 10-20x better representation- just owners of 3090's dont look at price/perf, thats why they somehow can compete vs miners, owners of midrange/lowend end cards are all budget oriented customers, thats why they have 0 chance to rival miners, hence no such cards in gamers hands.

TLDR- till mining is banned/taxed hard and all that crypto goes away/cant be mined profitably using gpu's we as gamers have to compete vs miners who are able to easily pay 2-3x msrp price for cards(depending on mining profitability) in any amount(coz like nividia ceo predicted, for miners its- ) , nvidia loves it , amd loves it , their aib partners love it, stores love it too, just us-the gamers are fucked hard.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I don't feel the need for a Series X simply because I already own a PS5. And Gamepass is also something that doesn't appeal for me as I don't play that many games a year. The reason why I want a PC over a Series X is because there are other things I want to do on a PC. First of all the backwards compatibility is way better games from way back can be improved, I can play something like say Dishonored in 4K/120fps. Sonic Generations in 4K/60fps. I can't play Sonic Generations in 4K on a Series X. Finally I can try out cool mods. I can emulate recent systems like Switch and PS3. You have Steam Sales, not just from Steam but 3rd parties like Humble Bundle. Finally I like that there is no online fee, I'm already paying for PSN, I'd hate to pay for 2 online subs at the same time. I am also getting Steam Deck and if Valve can get it right where there are cloud saves and I can play on the PC and carry on where I left off on a Deck that's also appealing for me.

There just is no reason for me to have a PS5 and Series X, that combination just would be a waste for me.

As for affordable I said a budget of £1000, I can even go upto to £1200. I personally feel I can easily match a Series X with that budget by end of 2022 early 2023 if mining and covid calms down by then. I didn't say I want a gaming PC to be the same price as a Series X as I know PCs are more expensive.

So my assumptions were correct, your goal is to avoid Xbox at all costs even though it makes perfect sense, but in order to avoid it and still get the benefits, you have to buy a gaming PC, which right now based on your budget, is akin to shooting yourself in the foot, so you want to know for how long you have to wait until the bullets start to miss... Got it!

You CAN play BC games like Dishonored at 4K/60fps on Series X, in fact the BC library goes back to Xbox originals like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden Black at 4K/60 and HDR. GamePass also has a ton of those classic games included in the service, but wait, you contradict yourself because the benefits you just listed are useless since you claim you don't have time to play, how ironic. You also want emulation which Series X and even S are emulation beasts with RetroArch. I have Atari 2600, 7800, Colecovision, NES, Master System, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, PSP, PS2, MAME Arcade, etc., and it all runs awesome!

By the time things settle down and PC hardware becomes affordable, Series X will have also dropped in price, so now you have something that costs $399 which is still impossible to replicate, especially at its form factor, and then you have the refresh console (Series X2) to consider if you're looking at 2022 or 23, it just doesn't make any sense, it seems pretty clear that you're just reaching for excuses and ignoring all logic to avoid Xbox, and that's ok, just don't try to hide it behind some logic as to why it makes sense to avoid it when it doesn't if your goal is to play games that are not available on PS5, and also play these games with good performance, but at a price that doesn't break the bank. Xbox Series X is basically a HTPC with different branding, just close your eyes and imagine it with a DELL logo so you don't have to feel like you betrayed Sony.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
So my assumptions were correct, your goal is to avoid Xbox at all costs even though it makes perfect sense, but in order to avoid it and still get the benefits, you have to buy a gaming PC, which right now based on your budget, is akin to shooting yourself in the foot, so you want to know for how long you have to wait until the bullets start to miss... Got it!

You CAN play BC games like Dishonored at 4K/60fps on Series X, in fact the BC library goes back to Xbox originals like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden Black at 4K/60 and HDR. GamePass also has a ton of those classic games included in the service, but wait, you contradict yourself because the benefits you just listed are useless since you claim you don't have time to play, how ironic. You also want emulation which Series X and even S are emulation beasts with RetroArch. I have Atari 2600, 7800, Colecovision, NES, Master System, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, Dreamcast, PSP, PS2, MAME Arcade, etc., and it all runs awesome!

By the time things settle down and PC hardware becomes affordable, Series X will have also dropped in price, so now you have something that costs $399 which is still impossible to replicate, especially at its form factor, and then you have the refresh console (Series X2) to consider if you're looking at 2022 or 23, it just doesn't make any sense, it seems pretty clear that you're just reaching for excuses and ignoring all logic to avoid Xbox, and that's ok, just don't try to hide it behind some logic as to why it makes sense to avoid it when it doesn't if your goal is to play games that are not available on PS5, and also play these games with good performance, but at a price that doesn't break the bank. Xbox Series X is basically a HTPC with different branding, just close your eyes and imagine it with a DELL logo so you don't have to feel like you betrayed Sony.

Wow talk about aggressive behaviour do you have Xbox shares. I do not need a gaming PC or Xbox right now I said I need one by 2022/2023. Also Gamepass and Xbox exclusives dont appeal to me. I've owned a 360 before and franchises like Gears, Halo and Forza don't appeal to me. However the future WRPGs do but those will drop in years from now. A Gaming PC can be had for quite cheap I could have got a 3060Ti today for £370. PC come with many benefits like no online fee, emulation (yes Series X gas emulation but on PC it's more superior and less hassle). Once again for me it's very pointless owning 2 gaming consoles a Series X and PS5 combo is terrible. The variety of exclusive games is not enough. Paying for 2 online subs is rather silly. Atleast a gamig PC and PS5 combo you have more variety, PC not only has the Xbox exclusives but tons of exclusive games like RTS genre. You have mods, cheaper games, free online and option to upgrade PC if you wish to do so. And even still it's debatable if even PS5/PC is even worth it I may just go Steam Deck and PS5. You stated Dishonored is 4K60 in Series X. What about Sonic Generations is that 4K60, what about DmC is that 4K60 what I'm trying to get out PC backwards compatibility ngors back decades. Just count the number of Steam games in comparison to Series X. If I didn't own a PS5 I'd probably be in more agreement but as a PS5 owner to own another console is a pretty stupid purchase.

Just curious do you own a PS5 and Series X?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If I were you, I would buy a series X for now, and then sell it once you are ready to move to pc. Then you aren't missing out, it's not going to depreciate much.

Kenpachii

Not anytime soon, i would expect 2023 u got a chance. But that all depends how the market goes.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
If I were you, I would buy a series X for now, and then sell it once you are ready to move to pc. Then you aren't missing out, it's not going to depreciate much.

But there is currently nothing I'm missing out on. Im not a fan of Halo, Gears and Forza franchises. What I'm interested is in WRPGs that are upcoming such as Fable, Avowed, Starfield. But these games are years out. I'm currently catching up with my PS4/PS5 backlog, so far playing patched PS4 games or remastered, God of War, Spiderman Remastered, Ratchet remake. I have Fallen Order or Control I will play next as I just completed Spiderman few days ago.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
But there is currently nothing I'm missing out on. Im not a fan of Halo, Gears and Forza franchises. What I'm interested is in WRPGs that are upcoming such as Fable, Avowed, Starfield. But these games are years out. I'm currently catching up with my PS4/PS5 backlog, so far playing patched PS4 games or remastered, God of War, Spiderman Remastered, Ratchet remake. I have Fallen Order or Control I will play next as I just completed Spiderman few days ago.
Then why even build a cheap gaming now or make this thread?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Then why even build a cheap gaming now or make this thread?

True. Perhaps there is something now you could still play, there is a lot on gamepass to try out that maybe you were hesitant on at full price.

KAL2006

Banned
Update.

I've decided to not bother with a gaming PC. Maybe one day around 2023 but not anytime soon. With Horizon and Assassin's Creed Odyssey getting 60fps and everything new game seem to get performance modes so far it seems my biggest reason to move to PC gaming which is 60fps gaming is not needed anymore. I assume when games start pushing so much and we don't get 60fps we will have a PS5 Pro by then to sort that out. I'll be fine with a Steam Deck to play some older games (PS3/360) that are not 60fps in handheld mode to fill that void.

I was tempted but the price of PC gaming is way more even if you consider the Steam Sales and free online (PSN sales are actually are decent these days and I still buy and resell physical games). Also need to consider energy bills which have gone way up in the UK, a gaming PC will consume much more energy than a PS5.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Same. I was planning on building a rig, but the costs are just insane. I can't justify paying these insane prices.

I want to get a future proof PC, so was looking at the price of a 3090 graphics card........ absolute joke.

£2000 for just a graphics card. £2000!!

Plus the added cost of a decent CPU, motherboard, water-cooling system, power supply, monitor, k&m and I was looking at over £4K.

Fbh

Same. I was planning on building a rig, but the costs are just insane. I can't justify paying these insane prices.

I want to get a future proof PC, so was looking at the price of a 3090 graphics card........ absolute joke.

£2000 for just a graphics card. £2000!!

Plus the added cost of a decent CPU, motherboard, water-cooling system, power supply, monitor, k&m and I was looking at over £4K.

Yeah I've decided I'll just stick with consoles for now and look into PC gaming again in a few years if the prices go back to normal.
A real shame too because when the 3000 series of Nvidia got announced it seemed like the door had finally opened on good hardware for decently low prices. But soon after with covid, crypto mining and overall shortages we went back to "the GPU alone costs 3X as much as a whole console"

Top Bottom