• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How soon can we expect to build a PC comparable to Series X at a affordable price

KAL2006

Banned
So I used to play PC games around mid PS3 gen and have been out the master race since PS4 released. With PS5 I have been spoiled with 60fps games and higher fidelity graphics. I have just finished Ratchet remake, Spiderman Remastered and God of War all supporting 60fps while the resolution is above 1080p and all looked fantastic on my 65 inch 4K TV. However when I play something that hasn't been patched like Horizon it's hard to go back to 30fps. Another deciding factor to get back into PC gaming is the Microsoft exclusives I will lose out on in the future (Starfield). So I'd like to be a PS5/PC gamer.

The problem is the prices, it's expensive, I wouldn't want to spend more than £1k (doesn't include monitor, mouse and keyboad as I already have those). But I've been reading because of mining and Corona prices are higher and will be high even upto 2023. I don't even mind waiting for prices to drop down to around by fall 2022 (when Starfield releases) but I just have a feeling prices will never go down even after years of waiting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You're asking this when the answer presents itself in the current landscape during Covid.

This would be a better question to ask ( and I'm sure it has) 2 years ago.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thanks to COVID and chip shortages it’s actually getting MORE expensive day by day lol. I think we are a good year away from price stabilization.

if things were MSRP, you could do it now.

Daymos

Never.. you buy a basic computer that does windows tasks for $600, then you buy gaming for another $500. Thus gaming + computer= $1100.

If you don't want the computer tasks then you buy just gaming for the $500. It balances out from that perspective.

Xbox and PC aren't rivals, it's just two ways to do the same thing. I feel like Bethesda being owned by Microsoft enhances that as elder scrolls was a reason to get into PC gaming.. and now it's a reason to stay into PC gaming. Nothing changed there.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
If you just want the games, just get the Series X.

PC won't be cheap, even without chip shortage.
I thought a £1k budget would he enough by end of 2022 ornearly 2023.

Reason I don't want a Series X is because I have a PS5, I want a PC for the instance amount of backwards compatible games, strategy games, modding, and no online fee as well as cross buy and play with Steam Deck.

KAL2006

Banned
late 2022

AMD and Nvidia will release 5nm GPUs + you will be able to buy cheap Zen3+

That's good to hear I think I can wait. I'm still having a blast with PS5, the games that I can't play in 60fps I can just wait until I get a PC. Like I said the exclusives I'm interested from Microsoft is with the WRPGs which none are coming until 2023 anywyas.

KAL2006

Banned
Prices went down here, but still too overpriced. You should wait more...

In the UK currently on HotUKDeals a 3090 is going for £1400 alot of comments seem surprised the stock is lasting that long before it's sold out so seems like sighns of prices going to be affordable soon.

Reason I don't want a Series X is because I have a PS5, I want a PC for the instance amount of backwards compatible games, strategy games, modding, and no online fee as well as cross buy and play with Steam Deck.

You won't get it at a reasonable price any time soon though. My guess late 2022

KAL2006

Banned
You won't get it at a reasonable price any time soon though. My guess late 2022

I don't even mind waiting until early 2023, the Steam Deck will be a nice introduction to being back on PC gaming in 2022 (my preorder is Q2 2022) then early 2023 for a full fat PC gaming is perfect timing.

SmokSmog

This is leaked top RDNA3 Navi31 MCM, it has 15k cores (2x7680)

Release date late 2022

bd237731a78d120141235def8e033c8a1a7cd2b28de9e80e62cd658b9d965652.jpg

Orion2

Banned
never, you just can't get all the components new from official sellers that are 100% = or better to make a PC for $500

KAL2006

Banned
Rumored Navi31 (top RDNA3 GPU) will have 6x more compute shaders than full ps5 chip. So we can assume that small RDNA3 gpus at sub 300$ will be faster than PS5.
So the answer is, if you want cheap GPU which can beat consoles you will need to wait till end of 2022.

Nice thanks for the easy to understand response I think I will wait until fall 2022 early 2023 then.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
never, you just can't get all the components new from official sellers that are 100% = or better to make a PC for $500
Its not about the same price of a console, and never will be, unless a console can do everything a pc can...

KAL2006

Banned
This is the correct gaming configuration OP, well done.

And I agree with everyone saying 2022 before you can do it for under 1k. I spent double that to get next gen PC capabilities now.

Well if I start seeing Sony port most of there games to PC I may even sell the PS5. I don't even mind waiting later for ports even 2 years later (I usually buy games late anyways). I just want a guarantee the port will happen. But for now due to no guarantee of ports I'm gonna stick with PS5/PC.

you can cards that offer better (almost double) performance than current gen consoles no problem but price is the issue. probably another couple years before they are what you consider affordable. console owners and PC owners have a very much different idea of what affordable is. i have never bought a GPU (itself) that is cheaper than the price of a console. my current GPU was £750 (got it in 2018). a Series X/PS5 is about 60% of just my GPU lol. of course you can't play on PC with just a gpu you need: monitor, cpu, ram, drives, coolers, psu, motherboard, etc. dropping £500-1,500 on a GPU ain't shit to PC gamers. sure prices are ridiculously inflated but if you can get a card at retail price it's not that bad actually. if you're a console owner trying to get in PC gaming then it might be a shock.

Last edited:

When you said affordable, I thought cheap.

£1k to me is neither cheap nor affordable. Lol.

£1,000 on a PC isn't much tbh. i built a PC for £800 and it was shite and i upgraded it after about a year. probably spent about another £900 upgrading it. my current PC which was a completely new build is about £3,000. i was gonna upgrade my GPU to a 3090 which is £1,400 but of course it went out of stock real fast. i'll hold off for next round of cards and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned

For me personally it's a fair price for cheaper priced games, choosing better performance, free online, better backwards compatibility, and good emulation. Anything more than £1k it wouldn't be worth it for me.

For me personally it's a fair price for cheaper priced games, choosing better performance, free online, better backwards compatibility, and good emulation. Anything more than £1k it wouldn't be worth it for me.
yup you get what you pay for. if you're serious about gaming then it's really not hard to justify the price.

playing on console is like listening to streaming spotify/netflix with cheap earphones/tv and playing on PC is like listening to vinyl records on high end speakers or watching 4K Blu rays on a home theater. console is the budget friendly option and for enthusiasts you can get the much higher quality/true experience. it costs but it's worth it.

Last edited:

Klik

In my country RTX 3070 is still about 900eur. No way i will even think about building pc with prices like that.

Orion2

Banned
Its not about the same price of a console, and never will be, unless a console can do everything a pc can...
he's talking about playing games not making spreadsheets or music editing or something like that, unless he specified that and I missed it, feel free to point it out

tusharngf

Rumored Navi31 (top RDNA3 GPU) will have 6x more compute shaders than full ps5 chip. So we can assume that small RDNA3 gpus at sub 300$ will be faster than PS5.
So the answer is, if you want cheap GPU which can beat consoles you will need to wait till end of 2022.
Nvidia will go all out against this GPU. This monster will fight nvidia SKU's. Consoles will be outdated soon but optimization and development makes them priority for developers.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
In the UK currently on HotUKDeals a 3090 is going for £1400 alot of comments seem surprised the stock is lasting that long before it's sold out so seems like sighns of prices going to be affordable soon.

Nope, 3090s have been easy to get in the UK for RRP forever because the 3090 isn't a gaming card. Yes, you can play games on it, but if you're buying a 3090 just to play games it's because you have too much disposable income, the price-to-performance ratio is bad for gaming because it's a work card.

The 3080ti is also an outright scam, nVidia know they can mark it up themselves because nobody can find GPUs right now.

It's kind of an awful time to buy/build a PC. You might have some luck with prebuilts from reputable sellers who can sell you the good cards as part of a package at a reasonable price.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
he's talking about playing games not making spreadsheets or music editing or something like that, unless he specified that and I missed it, feel free to point it out
If pc gaming was about playing the same games and at exactly the same way as it is on console there would be no reason to pay more to play there. Always impressive that this still needs to be said in 2021.

Last edited:

FireFly

Maybe parity is possible, but I wouldn't expect much better performance. According to Microsoft, 5 nm doesn't do much to lower the price per transistor. And right now even the 3060 launched at $349, while the 6600 XT is apparently launching for $379.

Last edited:

Rikkori

A Series X is around a 2080 in terms of raster performance, but closer to a 2060/S if we count RT being on. If the game also has DLSS then it's a wrap. So essentially you'd need at least a 3060 in order to be generally above a Series X in performance on PC. If you have something like a 3060 Ti then you're absolutely crushing it. Since the latter had an MSRP of $399, even if we say buy it for $499, that'd be a good get in order for you to be "set" for above console experience on PC. The rest of the computer is easy to buy for $500. A 3060 is also a decent option, and cheaper, because even though it has less compute power it also has more vram, so in the long run it might even out esp. if you keep the card for 5 years or so.

The funny thing is people actually had the chance to build a better than PS5/XSX PC for <$1000 before the consoles even released, but once mining boomed around late autumn then that option just disappeared.

KAL2006

Banned
A Series X is around a 2080 in terms of raster performance, but closer to a 2060/S if we count RT being on. If the game also has DLSS then it's a wrap. So essentially you'd need at least a 3060 in order to be generally above a Series X in performance on PC. If you have something like a 3060 Ti then you're absolutely crushing it. Since the latter had an MSRP of $399, even if we say buy it for $499, that'd be a good get in order for you to be "set" for above console experience on PC. The rest of the computer is easy to buy for $500. A 3060 is also a decent option, and cheaper, because even though it has less compute power it also has more vram, so in the long run it might even out esp. if you keep the card for 5 years or so.

The funny thing is people actually had the chance to build a better than PS5/XSX PC for <$1000 before the consoles even released, but once mining boomed around late autumn then that option just disappeared.

So basically a comparable PC which is as powerful as a Series X for £1000 was available before the Series X released. Now due to mining and covid it's hard to find a good price GPU. Let's hope by fall 2022 things calm down

Orion2

Banned
If pc gaming was about playing the same games and at exactly the same way as it is on console there would be no reason to pay more to play there. Always impressive that this still needs to be said in 2021.
it's impressive how things need to be said n 2021 that have nothing to do with the subject, it's a fact that you can't build a Personal Computer that is = or better in every way than either a PS5 or xbox series X for $500, no matter what personal opinions you add to that, the fact is not changed and will never be changed

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I sold a used 980 GTX yesterday for $235 and it sold within a day.... I think it is going to take a bit longer than we want.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
it's impressive how things need to be said n 2021 that have nothing to do with the subject, it's a fact that you can't build a Personal Computer that is = or better in every way than either a PS5 or xbox series X for $500, no matter what personal opinions you add to that, the fact is not changed and will never be changed
Fact that is irrelevant for the OP "problem".

JackMcGunns

By the time it's even possible, there will be a Series X refresh that puts it to shame dollar : dollar.

PS5 and Series X is the way to go for the best bang for your buck, I don't understand why you would refuse to get a Series X if you're interested in the games and don't have a competent PC. I get the argument for people who already have a PC, it makes sense for PC gamers with strong rigs to buy a PS5 to complement it, but you don't have a competent PC, so the only reason for NOT getting a Series X is what again?

Orion2

Banned
Fact that is irrelevant for the OP "problem".
actually it very much does, he said he doesn't want to spend more than 1k pounds, that already tells us he's in UK where things are actually way more expensive than in US, so that alone kills any notion of a PC that surpasses or equals those consoles under 1K, which if you didn't know, 500 is under 1000

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
actually it very much does, he said he doesn't want to spend more than 1k pounds, that already tells us he's in UK where things are actually way more expensive than in US, so that alone kills any notion of a PC that surpasses or equals those consoles under 1K, which if you didn't know, 500 is under 1000
Which $500 console will help with OP problems like this: "However when I play something that hasn't been patched like Horizon it's hard to go back to 30fps."?

Last edited:

Yep and this gen is going to last another 6 years so a 3060 will last you that long if you're willing to play at console settings.

Unfortunately in PC gaming circles you tend to see a lot of hardcore elitists. But PC gaming doesn't have to be at all expensive.

Orion2

Banned
Which $500 console will help with OP problems like this: "However when I play something that hasn't been patched like Horizon it's hard to go back to 30fps."?
which PC parts will build OP a PC = or better than a PS5/XSX for $500?

• LOL
Reactions: amc

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
which PC parts will build OP a PC = or better than a PS5/XSX for $500?
OP didn´t ask for this. Should be obvious that OP already knows the price of consoles but want a PC for things that no console can do. A console is NOT a solution for a PC that can´t be for under $1000...

Last edited:
Reactions: amc

Orion2

Banned
OP didn´t ask for this. Should be obvious that OP already knows the price of consoles but want a PC for things that no console can do. A console is NOT a solution for a PC that can´t be for under $1000...
500 is under 1000 so OP got his answer, you seem lost, I don't know what you think you're doing here, but like I said before, nothing you say will change the fact of PCs not being able to match a console for $500, which seems to bother you a lot

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
500 is under 1000 so OP got his answer, you seem lost, I don't know what you think you're doing here, but like I said before, nothing you say will change the fact of PCs not being able to match a console for $500, which seems to bother you a lot
PC can't match consoles only in price/performance. But as you already showed, you don't know that pc gaming is not only about performance. And that is why OP has a problem and a $500 console is not a solution.

Orion2

Banned
PC can't match consoles only in price/performance. But as you already showed, you don't know that pc gaming is not only about performance. And that is why OP has a problem and a $500 console is not a solution.
and the fact that PC can't match or exceed a PS5/XSX for $500 is still an unchanged fact

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
and the fact that PC can't match or exceed a PS5/XSX for $500 is still an unchanged fact
Cool, but OP already knows that and this fact doesn't help him/her. Are you thing to help OP or just are here just to make pc/console war?

Last edited:
Top Bottom