• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much money have you spent on microtansactions?

How much money have you wasted on mtx?

• Zero

Votes: 92 47.2%
  • 1-10$

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • 10-50$

Votes: 31 15.9%
  • 50-100$

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • 100-500$

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • 500-1000$

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 1000$+

Votes: 17 8.7%
  • unlimited

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Across all games and recent years probably the $500-$1,000 category but I have to include my family/kids in that figure. Friends and I supported Apex Legends season passes for something like the first 2 years straight. I've bought Destiny 1/2 stuffs and little Halo/Forza MTX here and there. Perhaps a smattering of smaller titles too. My kids had some pocket money on things like Sea of Thieves, Pokemon Go, Roblox etc when they were younger and my wife/daughter love Sims4 still.

If I was including gift cards from family and friends for my kids it would well be over the $1,000+ category. Same goes for MS reward redemptions.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Played World of Tanks for many years, until they added lootboxes, which made me quit.

I had tons of extremely rare and... "valuable" premium vehicles, easily spent over 1000. I ended up going cold turkey when I realised that even with all that I wasn't really enjoying the game and simply spending money in an attempt to feel like I did again, loot boxes just made you spend more.

It's one of the reasons I'm so against poor MTX in games these days. Because its all a sham really, the games with them simply put aren't really worth playing, there just a front for a company to extract the maximum amount of money for minimum effort.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Not sure. Not a lot. If I play a "free" game for a month I will make a token transaction just because I got more than enough entertainment out of it. I do not remember buying anything from a full retail release with the exception of DLC.

Played World of Tanks for many years, until they added lootboxes, which made me quit.

I had tons of extremely rare and... "valuable" premium vehicles, easily spent over 1000. I ended up going cold turkey when I realised that even with all that I wasn't really enjoying the game and simply spending money in an attempt to feel like I did again, loot boxes just made you spend more.

It's one of the reasons I'm so against poor MTX in games these days. Because its all a sham really, the games with them simply put aren't really worth playing, there just a front for a company to extract the maximum amount of money for minimum effort.

Games exploitatively designed I can totally agree with you e.g. mobile/facebook games developed like pokey/slot machines. I think there is room for things like modern day Apex Legends implementations though. The base content and game are free for all but you can jazz things up with MTX/passes etc. It doesn't affect gameplay, nor provide pay to win scenarios and the gamers are happy as are the devs. I like the latter version.

Esca

Since their inception 1k+ probably close to 2k
I have no problems spending some money on a game if there is something I want and I find the price acceptable. That includes anything from simple cosmetics and virtual currency to expansion packs to me

Last edited:

Sakura

Not sure exactly. I know I've spent around 700 on Princess Connect, and maybe 500+ combined across other games, but this is over a period of like 10 years so it's not a big deal.

NikuNashi

Does costumes in SFIV count? I remember buying a ken costume in 2009. Played the game for 8 years straight so was worth it I guess.

Probably a few hundred

Gatcha is what cured me though, I got into it relatively recently and was like “what the fuck am I doing?!?!” Since then I won’t even buy a battle pass etc.

Easily over $1000 have no regrets.

Bought all WoW store mounts over the years
Bought a ton of skins in Fortnite over the years
Bought quite a few skins in LoL back when it was blowing up in the 2010s

Bought every Tavern Pass in Sea of Sea of Thieves that I've played. I think it was 3 or 4 seasons that I've played a lot of.

Reason why I spent MTX money on these titles was because these games provided me with thousands and thousands of gameplay time. So I have no regret supporting the development.

Last edited:

april6e

The biggest purchases I've made on mircotransactions are Genshin and Artifact. Both two hundo.

I have zero regrets with Genshin because I've played that game for around 800hrs and got every penny worth. Artifact, it's the worst gaming purchase I've ever made in my life. Game died in a month and my money was never to be seen again.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Over the years, probably $300-$500. The most for one game would probably be Sea of Thieves, maybe in the $75-$100 range. It would be more, but I exchange Microsoft points for gift cards to use in SoT when buying Ancient Coins. I also earn a bunch of Ancient Coins in game as well. I have over 3,000 hours in SoT, so it isn't that much money really. WAY cheaper than spending money on single player games totaling 3,000 hours in time played.

The most I've ever spent on a game would be a combo of Phantasy Star Online (DC and XB) and Phantasy Star Universe (X360) which I subscribed to from January 2001 when it launched on the DC in North America to when the servers shut down on Phantasy Star Universe on the Xbox 360 in September 2012. At $10 per month, that would be $1,410.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
- Path of Exile Tabs. Plus it supports their FTP model so I don't mind. Absolute must if you play on controller IMO.
- There's a website you can check how much money you spent on Valorant. 371.00+tax.
- Happy Wars, first game I ever spent money on MTX. I think I spent about 80 bucks.
- Warframe, I've bought platinum a couple of times.
- Does DLC count as MTX? If so I'm over $1000 easily. Bought all DLC characters for Guilty Gear Strive. Most the characters on Tekken 7.
- COD I bought a skin bundle or two
- Black Desert online....I don't even wanna talk about it.
- I bought a skin pack for New World when they released their last expansion. It was put out for free so I felt obligated.
- Horse Armor in Elder Scrolls
- Do subscriptions count as Microtransactions? If so, I might as well vote unlimited. I have sub to FFXIV right now, but I've had one in WOW. Bought a couple of emote packs from FFXIV. No mounts.
- In SMITE I've bought gems before to try and get the tier 5 skin for my favorite characters. I didn't understand exactly how much I would have to spend to get it and stopped, cut my losses.
- I bought a couple of skins in Apex, nothing crazy.
- Bought some Vbucks back in Fortnite's hey day
- Bought almost all DLC packs and Skin pack, story packs for Stellaris.

I may have a problem

drotahorror

Spent $3-400 on SMITE when I was really into it for skins several years ago.

Spent around $100 on Path of Exile.

Maybe $20 on Dead by Daylight.

$50 or so on Warframe.

Last edited:

user1337

70+ on neverwinter before I stopped playing it.

8 on apex legends season pass before it basically started paying for itself (by giving more than the initial currency required to pay for the next season)

8 on rocket league (same as apex)

Mokus

Between Team Fortress 2 and Heroes of the Storm less than 20 Euros.

But I got out from TF2 trading system over 100 euro worth of games.

Only buy DLC, i.e. expansions/map packs/fighting game characters season passes etc.

Never spent a dime (yet) on loot boxes or even cosmetics, and that won't change, forever.

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
rEXSszZ.gif

Banjo64

cumsessed
Tough one. I used MS rewards for the vast bulk of mine in the past. I’d redeem £5 and then top up the rest (a battle pass usually costs £7.99 in the UK).

Between Rocket League, Apex, PES and Fortnite I’d probably estimate about £120 (including the MS credit).

mxbison

I guess a lot of the Zeros are not counting battle passes? Those are usually just several MTX crammed into a $10 package, maybe with a slight discount.

I've probably spent around $200 on MTX in free2play games. Nothing in full price games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If I get a whiff of MTX or pay to win.

Not interested

Optional DLC is a different matter in a game.

Emedan

Like 20 bucks. Fun anecdote. When I worked for Apple a guy once called in to the iTunes Store complaining about microtransactions, seeing his account I saw he had spent like $35,000 and I immediately assumed he had been scammed - nah he was the spender of that, it's just that his most recent transaction hadn't resulted in him getting the specific item he purchased... A complete retard.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
In like 20 years since they started existing? Who even counts. Probably 0 since I likely only ever bought something that seemed like decent value and was permanent, not some Oblivion horse armor crap or random ill fitting cosmetic on some f2p game that will eventually turn to shit and/or die off.

Edit: My mistake, i just saw the votes as %, so i thought 82% do ZERO MT...
I through people was lying lol

Well about me, only permanent stuff, relevant and that BS of Fighting games chars. They reduce the roster on purpose. People need to riot like SF vs Tekken scam, today its even worse...

Last edited:
Probably around £20. A few extra gold coins on Warzone and Fortnite when I used to play them. Outside of that I don’t think I’ve bought any.

FunkMiller

Tony Soprano Nothing GIF

I'm not supporting that greedy shit, and have never come across a game I'd want to play enough that requires me to spend extra money. They're all crap - by definition.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I only ever bought the original ost of re2 for the remake (thanks greedycom) and a funny skin for the handler in mhw, so about 5-6 dollars tops?

GHound

None that I remember. Dodging that stuff harder than shady businesses dodge taxes!

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Pretty much only in CoD games. Since 2019 maybe up to 250 usd worth. I don't give a shit because it's optional skins and I can afford it. With that said, f.ex., the way you can get to the OP Broadside shotgun faster with a battle pass (every season seems to contain an OP gun for that reason..), well, it's not that far from a ptw incentive to drive people to buy the BP, I don't like the way they do that.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
None in the cosmetic or cheat to win sphere. I've bought plenty of DLC for additional content (example Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island) or extra characters (Street Fighter V) if I like the game. To buy a FIFA Ultimate Team pack, then no.

Top Bottom