• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Michael Jordan Still Earns $80 Million A Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
YPxs59j.gif

We're talking if he could be in his prime again, not 50 year old MJ. Although I'm sure he probably thinks he could still beat them 1 on 1 at 50. Or at least a shooting competition.

You see, to me, it's like saying an Olympic sprinter from 1980 in his prime vs. Usain Bolt. It's a different world, athletically. Michael was the best in his era. That's all you can say. If I had 80 million dollars, I would bet it all at terrible odds that Lebron or even KD would humiliate Michael. Not to say Michael sucks. or that he's not the greatest... just it's a different world.

MJ should create his own old timers league where retired players can still play.

They used to have an old timer game during the all star weekend. I can't remember if someone had a heart attack or what, but I am sure some of the old guys were getting injured. It really wasn't pretty. Hell, just watch this video of two retired hall of famers who were in reasonably good shape but had absolutely nothing left to give: Dr. J vs Kareem.

MisterHero

Step 1. Be bald
Step 2. Sell the fuck out
Step 3. Be a huge asshole to everyone around you
Step 4. Marry a Michael Jackson (post op and post bleach) look alike
You can either be lumped in with a bunch of players for NBA Jam OR you can get paid more than all of them combined to make Chaos in the Windy City. CHOOSE

You can either be lumped in with a bunch of players for NBA Jam OR you can get paid more than all of them combined to make Chaos in the Windy City. CHOOSE

Dude, I remember that game.

The most amazing thing happened, I still don't believe it. I just put in random numbers in the password section, and it took me to the last level. The odds of that gotta be 10,000 to one conservatively. For that, I'll always remember that game.

Grinchy

Banned
Well people here shit all over Apple for selling $150 phones for $600 and yet the same hypocrites praise Jordan for selling $5 shoes for $200 bucks because of a logo with his bald ass head on it.

If it helps, I shit all over both of those things.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I wonder how much he would give for his father?

Grinchy

Banned
This.

That's a huge part of how MJ gets paid and my brother and I contribute lol

Just release the concord 11's every year and boom even more $$$$

Jordan clothing is trash though. Who wears that stuff?

What is it that makes the clothes trash while the shoes are worth buying? I'm seriously asking because I just don't understand.

Solo

From the ESPN article:

Back when they used to shoot a lot of commercials, Jordan's security team would wait for him in his trailer while he was on set. A woman named Linda cooked Michael's meals, and he loved cinnamon rolls. She'd bake a tray and bring it to him. When it came time to film, he'd see the guards eyeing the cinnamon rolls and he'd walk over and spit on each one, to make sure nobody took his food.

:lol :lol :lol

Ovid

I didn't know he was stilling pulling in bank.

Happy Birthday MJ.

Best b-ball player ever.
Screw Lebron.

rbenchley

You see, to me, it's like saying an Olympic sprinter from 1980 in his prime vs. Usain Bolt. It's a different world, athletically. Michael was the best in his era. That's all you can say. If I had 80 million dollars, I would bet it all at terrible odds that Lebron or even KD would humiliate Michael. Not to say Michael sucks. or that he's not the greatest... just it's a different world.

Not the same thing. In general, atheletes today are physically superior than ones from 30 years ago, but this particular example (Jordan vs Bryant or James) doesn't hold up. When it comes to speed and strength, Jordan beats both of them.

Vertical Leap
Jordan - 48"
James - 44"
Bryant - 38"

40 Yard Dash
Jordan - 4.3 seconds
James - 4.4 seconds
Bryant - 4.5 seconds

As far as pure basketball skill goes, Lebron and Kobe are definitely on par with Michael, but I would give Jordan the overall edge due to his competitiveness. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who hated to lose as much as he did.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The era Jordan played in was far more impressive than the current one. Much more.

People forget MJ was a freak of nature athlete.

Not that it mattered, he got better as a basketball player as he lost all those physical gifts.

ESPN said:
Back when they used to shoot a lot of commercials, Jordan's security team would wait for him in his trailer while he was on set. A woman named Linda cooked Michael's meals, and he loved cinnamon rolls. She'd bake a tray and bring it to him. When it came time to film, he'd see the guards eyeing the cinnamon rolls and he'd walk over and spit on each one, to make sure nobody took his food.
Wow didn't know MJ was so spitful.

numble

They could handcheck Jordan. Nowadays that's a foul and possibly 2 shots. He still averaged more than these guys.

YoungHav

Banned
With the current celeb millionaires/billionaires I often wonder how many generations it would take for their descendants to squander all that money.

Perkel

Banned
Sole reason why Basketball outside of US is known. I mean in Poland where basketball was/is just some random game like dodgeball everyone know who he was.

Jordan was Messi/Maradona/Pele of Basketball and did a hella good time promoting it by being simply the best transcending sport norms and reaching people who even didn't care about basketball.

I would say to him "Good job !"

Solo

Totally agree. How many HOF did he play against in his era? He beat them on multiple occasions too.

Bird
Magic
Malone
Stockton
Barkley
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
Worthy
Etc.

Jordan played against and beat all these guys, and in a MUCH tougher league. Drop 25-30 year old Jordan into today's wussy league? Oh lawd. We wouldn't be ready to receive that.

Bird
Magic
Malone
Stockton
Barkley
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
Worthy
Etc.

Jordan played against and beat all these guys, and in a MUCH tougher league. Drop 25-30 year old Jordan into today's wussy league? Oh lawd. We wouldn't be ready to receive that.

Agreed. The only current NBA players I genuinely believe are in his league are Kobe, Lebron, and Durant.

MisterHero

I'd rather be in in Jam than disappoint millions with my shitty game!

... Then hunt Charles Barkley

Dude, I remember that game.

The most amazing thing happened, I still don't believe it. I just put in random numbers in the password section, and it took me to the last level. The odds of that gotta be 10,000 to one conservatively. For that, I'll always remember that game.
I remember it for having such badass boxart. It wasn't the greatest game, but it was fun and kinda unique.

mjchaoswindycitybox3njz9.jpg

My point was that I was under the impression that all players "sell out" at least a little for NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL etc. merchandise (like having every player appearing in an EA game), but Jordan was powerful enough to build his own brand. More players can do this but Jordan was really smart, or someone gave him great advice.

Perkel

Banned

I always love when people use that argument. You want to send someone to current time but you keep their old training and mentality of those days (tactics etc).

If you would send young Jordan to current times then he would probably again dominate NBA learning all stuff which other people learn today.

andycapps

Bird
Magic
Malone
Stockton
Barkley
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
Worthy
Etc.

You nailed why I gave up on watching NBA basketball. At least in college they still let them play defense.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Bird
Magic
Malone
Stockton
Barkley
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
Worthy
Etc.

those guys are all greats but most of them are post up players playing with vastly different rules and few of them could hack it athletically with todays players

Ovid

Bird
Magic
Malone
Stockton
Barkley
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
Worthy
Etc.

Reggie.

Today's players are good but look at all those HOF. Man, what a list...and the they all played D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom