• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many studios did Activision own?

oldergamer

I haven't found this listed anywhere, but does anyone know how many individual studios made up Activision? The news keeps reporting this sale, but never says a number on the amount of studios this actually is.

Cornbread78

dJ2lcDP.png

Kuranghi

Am I right in saying there are six studios devoted to CoD of the nine? Or do they still do other stuff while they assist the main devs?

Kilau

Am I right in saying there are six studios devoted to CoD of the nine? Or do they still do other stuff while they assist the main devs?

The publisher revealed the latest premium entry in the blockbuster series, Call of Duty: Vanguard, on Thursday, when it said eight of its 10 core studios are contributing to the upcoming game or the free-to-play Warzone.

Cornbread78

giphy.gif

As an xbox owner, this looks appetising got to admit. Aside from COD, which is shit (I'm prejudiced because I'm shit at it)

I'm super happy I grabbed an X early this gen to stay on top of all the Exclusive shit upcoming, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of industry consolidation and the way MS does bsiness through buying up the market to control it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm super happy I grabbed an X early this gen to stay on top of all the Exclusive shit upcoming, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of industry consolidation and the way MS does bsiness through buying up the market to control it.

Yeah I ended up getting an Xbox after the PS5 DE but the value proposition now is pretty spectacular. Going to be an interesting two or so years as this settles. They really need a couple of prestige ips because Sony first party art teams are phenomenal. I think that's the only thing missing really. A demonstration of that top tier sort of ip. Hellblade II has a chance definitely and I'm looking forward to that immensely. I guess the easiest comparison to make will be the Indy Jones games compared to Uncharted but we'll see.

Most of Acti-Blizz is in the PC space anyway so for me aside from a console WoW reboot (if it happened), there's only Diablo for me in the console space that's appetising.

BWJinxing

In theory, Microsoft games should never be buggy, should have gta5 single player polish, with the amount of studios under their umbrella.

This is a whole lot of talent and coders who could chip in, when I'm between projects.

Take note Bethsaida... Just call up a cod support studio and ask for help.

Caio

The list is shaping up impressive. I hope the quality of future Call of Duty games will benefit from the acquisition of Activision by Microsoft; this should be mandatory, to say the least.

It's going to get to a point where they can put out a new game every month.

Basically so. Even if each studio would be working on a single game at a time and one such game would be produced in 3 years, that would means 10 first party games a year...

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Don't knew but I think they all just make COD anyway these days

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I have both a PS5 and XSX so It doesn't matter to me about the acquisition but one of Sony's top studios (Japan Studio) was shuttered by them. Why? I bet they wish they didn't now.

CamHostage

It's kinda sad Vicarious Visions merged just before this happened.

They were lucky to have a Blizzard project when they did, otherwise they probably would have become yet another studio in the Call of Duty mines...

Vicarious Visions doesn't exist as its own entity, but I believe they're still a team rather than just part of the Blizzard mix. So maybe we'll hear of some project (ala Diablo II Resurrected) where you can see the Vicarious Visions legacy working under the hood.

(That said, the Bala brothers, who were the heart of Vicarious, left in 2016. So although VV has made good games since then, appreciators of this studio might want to look for the Bala's new company Velan Studios, who did the Mario Kart Live application for Nintendo's real RC cars and also launched Knockout City.

Last edited:
Top Bottom