• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you come away from an online game feeling like it was time well spent?

NinjaBoiX

I read the title and was like “what?”, but after reading the OP I kind of get what you mean.

And yeah, truth be told I guess I feel similar in a way? Like, that match didn’t really help me “progress” in anything meaningful, it’s just another match and after it’s over I’m back at the lobby again as if it never happened.

You could argue that you progress in terms of skill level and unlocking more guns/trinkets and such, but it’s nothing so tangible as the next area in a game or the continuation of the story.

I get you OP, maybe that’s why I’m less interested in online play nowadays (plus I suck because I’m getting old and out of practice).

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’ve found for me just simply stopping playing the competitive rank modes in online games has helped me not feel like wasted time or defeated. For me now, I do something like casual deathmatch or races and not caring If I am always near the top has made online gaming as a whole lot more enjoyable.

On the negative side, if I would have told my younger self that 10 years ago he would have called me a little pussy bitch on the spot and told me to “git good”.

Last edited:
T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
If I had fun, it was time well spent.

I used to absolutely love Overwatch for example, it was all I would play. Winning a game always felt far more satisfying to me than beating any Single Player game, because I know it was real players I beat and it isn't easy. Especially if you haven't got the best team composition.

AJUMP23

If I get to spend some times with my friends then I enjoy my COD session. I prefer single player games though.

kiphalfton

I think lost things are a waste of time. I think my job is a waste of time, playing games is a waste of time, etc... but then when I actually think of what I would do with that free time if I weren't wasting all my time doing that stuff, I hope I might do something productive, but chances are good I would just sit around doing nothing (which in and of itself is a waste of time). So really no matter what you do, it's kind of a waste of time.

Did you enjoy doing it? Then it was time well spent.

Playing an online game is a much better use of your time than something like say, getting a degree in gender studies.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
I think lost things are a waste of time. I think my job is a waste of time, playing games is a waste of time, etc... but then when I actually think of what I would do with that free time if I weren't wasting all my time doing that stuff, I hope I might do something productive, but chances are good I would just sit around doing nothing (which in and of itself is a waste of time). So really no matter what you do, it's kind of a waste of time.

It's kind of funny how people can rag on you playing too many video games and then they will go and bingewatch Netflix like it is any different or better. I have a friend exactly like this. We are all wasting time at the end of the day. People need some downtime in their life.

I think games are better than most things because you have to be actively involved in it and using your brain to some level, also there is the communication aspect if you're playing online. It can help people with feeling isolated. That has been important to me with all the lockdowns this year.

teezzy

Banned
Minion Masters
Monster Hunter World
Tekken 7
Soul Calibur 6

All feel awesome online and you get a sense of progress from either developing your gear or by honing your skills.

nkarafo

I don't think of time as currency. If i did i would go mad.

But if you want to then, as far as i'm concerned, if you do something that pleases you, it's time well spend.

Top Bottom