• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How bad is Metroid: Other M?

Krathoon

They tried to make Samus vulnerable and have issues and how dare they do that.

They want her to be stone cold Samus.

Doom85

Let’s see what Samus herself thought of the game:

SuErUFR.gif

Well, there you have it, folks! Nothing left to see here.

It's to Metroid what Stranger of Paradise is to Final Fantasy.

Same team too, they're pro's at trolling.

EDIT: just replace baby with chaos.

EDIT2:

metroid-other-m-baby.jpg
7a5.jpg

They also make enjoyable games if you ignore their repeating tropes.

Last edited:

CuNi

I thought people liked Dread.

It is very much liked by the bigger audience and is very well received. I just personally really dislike it for a multitude of reasons.
he is crazy. Dread is awesome.

I spoke about my own opinion. To me it is one of the worst, perhaps even the worst metroid developed and u stand by it.

It's too much for a comment in a thread about other m and I don't think there is any audience or interest on here to thoroughly discuss dread in a separate thread.

It is very much liked by the bigger audience and is very well received. I just personally really dislike it for a multitude of reasons.

I spoke about my own opinion. To me it is one of the worst, perhaps even the worst metroid developed and u stand by it.

It's too much for a comment in a thread about other m and I don't think there is any audience or interest on here to thoroughly discuss dread in a separate thread.
I would like to know. Could you make it a thread? A lot of people would like to know why you hold such a fringe opinion of one of the most acclaimed games in recent memory.

Tams

The hate is typical gamer/nerd overreaction.

If you like Metroid, then you'll like it. If you care about a good story and have set views on Metroid's characterisation... then you'll probably be annoyed.

Kabelly

the pixels hunts single handedly ruins the games. Oh and the strange decision to not use the damn nunchuck in a 3D action game. Let's not even get started on the story implications on how Samus unlocks her power ups in this game.

I will forever love this article.

It's super long but worth the read.

Gameplay was meh. Environments were uninteresting.

The story was offensive to me in the same way that I find Kingdom Hearts’ story to be offensive: it’s uninteresting trash, but for some reason the devs felt that it was necessary for the game to have tons and tons of cutscenes. I love cutscenes. But not when they involve uninteresting material.

It's to Metroid what Stranger of Paradise is to Final Fantasy.

Same team too, they're pro's at trolling.

EDIT: just replace baby with chaos.

EDIT2:

metroid-other-m-baby.jpg
7a5.jpg

They also make enjoyable games if you ignore their repeating tropes.
Please never make this comparison again. Metroid Other M WISHES it was Stranger of Paradise! I said what I said

ThaGuy

I said it before in another thread and I'll say it again, M:eek:M was more of a Metroid game than Metroid prime gameplay wise. Metroid prime slowed the gameplay down cause of being in first person. But overall prime is the better game imo.

CuNi

I would like to know. Could you make it a thread? A lot of people would like to know why you hold such a fringe opinion of one of the most acclaimed games in recent memory.

I'm not narcissistic enough to make a whole thread about only my opinion. I dislike it, but I love the metroid franchise and I'm happy about everyone liking it too since that means more games and more chances for games i might end up enjoying too.

Also, not to say that it was a bad game, but a 88 on metacritic and 87 on opencritic, it's far from being a "most acclaimed" game.

Kamina

Golden Boy
It happens several times during the first 2 hours. Almost never after that.
Thus holding true to my promise
If you are something 10 shots strong after the first two hours, chances are you don’t remember the plot afterwards anyway.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I liked it a lot, it's been a long while tho.

I always felt the Prime games to be a bit sterile and boring, this has more character and I prefer the gameplay over FPS style too.

F31 Leopard

I enjoyed it a lot. I 100% completed and beat on hard mode. If you don't mind spoilers this is a good analysis video regarding Other M.

Shut0wen

A store that sells games recently found a box filled with stock of old games they didn't know they had, and put them out on clearance for $10, mostly junk, sports, and Kinect.

There were a few Wii games too, mostly shovelware but then I saw copies of Metroid Other M included.

It had me wondering why Metroid Other M would be included with all this shovelware they wanted to get rid of. Was it really that bad and a poor seller? I've heard horror stories about the game but I've also heard many people defend it as a great change of direction for the series. It's the first attempt at giving a personality to Samus in a cinematic setting, but the main problem that fans point out is that the plot allegedly assassinates Samus' character.

It hasn't ever been re-released to my knowledge, which feels like it should be a red flag, but the same could go for Mad World, another Wii game that was actually enjoyable.

So Metroid fans what's the verdict on this. Is it as bad as the more vocal fans say?
I recently played metroid other m about a yesr ago for the first time, id say its a good 7/10 game only complaint i had was the voice acting being really bad but the ganeplay is solid, i enjoyed it alot more then dread imo

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Seems like $10 is a price hike from its days in the bargain bin lol.

Personally I thought the 2D bits were fun. In that perspective you’re able to include abilities that can’t be done in first person. So in that regards it was good.
The switching to first person view on the fly was an interesting idea, but it was so fucking stupid how Samus had to get permission to use to weapons. I guess with every Metroid Samus has to lose her weapons, so that was the way they handled it.
Not a bad game per day, but a so-so Metroid. Worth a playthrough if you still have a Wii or Wii U, or rip it and play it on PC.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
When I originally played it on the Wii I thought it was pure trash. The control system and the gameplay itself were so much lower than the competition at the time.

I tried replaying it a few months ago and I must admit time may have been kind to it.

I think if you go in with low expectations and knowing full well the the control system is like something out of the 80’s but you e got to get used to it. There’s fun, interest and a decent experience to be had here.

If you go in expecting a TP version of either 2D Metroid or prime. You’re onto a loser before you even start.

Shifty

Other M thread!

iu
iu
iu

I thought the gameplay was a nice generalization of the classic formula up into 3D with some extra actiony elements.

Though the just-dodge mechanic is way too forgiving. All you have to do is mash on the d-pad and nothing can really hit you because it has no cooldown or lockout on missed inputs.
The pixel hunting segments were wack. Total pace killer.
And saving powerbombs for post-game was a dumb idea, as was the way you unlock them. Sure, it's got narrative resonance because you're definitively breaking out of the permission-based upgrade path, but relying on the player to remember all the way back to the tutorial with no prompting in order for the moment to hit right was weak.

Storywise, shit's a write-off.

Adam-senpai? Erodes both his and Samus' character. Would have been more interesting if there was some acknowledgement that they've both grown as individuals rather than picking up where the commander-soldier dynamic left off.
The Deleter? Silly name, silly idea.
MB? I shouldn't have to explain why anthropomorphizing a monstrous villain into a pretty science lady was an awful concept.

And how many times has Samus deep-sixed Ridley at this point in the timeline? Certainly enough that her response to encountering him should not prompt a literal regression to childlike catatonia.

Though despite all the complaints, I still kind of dig it. Skip the cutscenes and stick your fingers in your ears whenever the characters talk during gameplay and you'll be in for a pretty fun time.

I guess with every Metroid Samus has to lose her weapons, so that was the way they handled it.
I think there's some missed potential to the abilitease conceit. It always works out that ~70% of the game is spent reacquiring known powerups from past titles, with the remaining ~30% constituting new stuff that probably won't show up again.

I'd like to see them buck that trend - let Samus keep a decently chunky baseline of abilities from the past games, then have the majority of stuff be new and build on top of it instead.
I guess it runs the risk of sliding down the DBZ powerlevel slope, as well as raising the mechanical complexity floor, but they could always pull another hard reset if it got really out of hand.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Good Action Game. Bad Metroid game.

Primarily because the story is garbage and the Metroid series creator forces the NES controller format on you. The story isn't as terrible with the JP voiceovers because they have good voice direction unlike the English adaptation.

If there was anything good about the story it's you get a glimpse of young Samus in a military setting and a reaffirmation that a portion of the Galactic Federation are a bunch of corrupt assholes.

Also probably Samus primarily works as a bounty hunter as she does not like taking orders from anyone she doesn't respect.

Aldric

People defending Other M's gameplay will never stop being baffling to me, but then I remember a significant number of videogame fans think Naughty Dog modern games are masterpieces and triumphs of game design that represent a new standard for the medium. Moviegames were a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

I'm not narcissistic enough to make a whole thread about only my opinion. I dislike it, but I love the metroid franchise and I'm happy about everyone liking it too since that means more games and more chances for games i might end up enjoying too.

Also, not to say that it was a bad game, but a 88 on metacritic and 87 on opencritic, it's far from being a "most acclaimed" game.
It was received very well across most metrics. I’d consider it a standout title of the past couple years.

As an action game its OK.

As a Metroid game it's garbage.
This.

Graphics were pretty dope at times though, looks better than dread lol.

Yeah it ruins Samus character, but get over that and there's fun to be had despite the weird controls.

Somebody on that team was too hyped about the "woah dude, turning the remote sideways is so old skoooool"

Josemayuste

I found the game to be ok, but Team Ninja might not be well suited to handle the Metroid franchise so people just voted with their wallet at the time though.

And I think the same, Dread destroys Other M.

I don’t know man, character models and close up combat looked pretty good but the environments are pretty horrible, even for a Wii game imo.
20201120110614.png
Well, yeah at times. That's why I specified it looked good... at times. Also it's got that plastic look to it at times, but that looks good on the enemies, and there's lots of effects going off at once. But it is definitely not Prime visually.

Dread is more consistent but it looks more like 3ds+ graphics rather than Wii. More consistent, sure.

Wii graphics can look really good, but it depends on the game/art. Galaxy? Still looks awesome. Corruption? Yep.

I came with high expectations and had a really good time.
Some graphics are awesome, whereas others are just your average Wii game.
Gameplay was very inventive. Neat use of the wiimote.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Not bad at all

maxresdefault.jpg

UxGMLc.jpg

Definitely the best Samus. The game was interesting as a different take on the gameplay, too. But a bunch of hysterical people went off on it because apparently they'd pinned their own hopes on Samus as being some kind of empowering or representative figure, rather than just a malleable prop to get gameplay moving in a sci-fi action franchise.

CuNi

Well, yeah at times. That's why I specified it looked good... at times. Also it's got that plastic look to it at times, but that looks good on the enemies, and there's lots of effects going off at once. But it is definitely not Prime visually.

Dread is more consistent but it looks more like 3ds+ graphics rather than Wii. More consistent, sure.

Wii graphics can look really good, but it depends on the game/art. Galaxy? Still looks awesome. Corruption? Yep.

Dread really really looks great up until you enter E.M.M.I. Zones, and it's like the game is corrupted, no textures load, it's all gray and mushy and everything is low-poly.
I really don't know why that is, or why there is such an extreme contrast to how the game looks inside and outside of E.M.M.I. Zones.

MrMephistoX

It could be a somewhat competent character action game. problem is issues built into the game due to the chosen controls, d pad sideways wiimote. Auto Dodging, auto aim, first person missile firing, all problems that simply changing controls to an analog stick won't fix.
I have seen hackers do impressive things, but i doubt anyone with the skills would want to fix other m's pile of shit.

Good point plus it’s probably diminishing returns to hack it unlike the infinitely more popular Metroid Prime Trilogy.

A store that sells games recently found a box filled with stock of old games they didn't know they had, and put them out on clearance for $10, mostly junk, sports, and Kinect.
$10 is too much for Other M. That game bombed so bad, it hit bargain bins almost immediately. I remember seeing it at Best Buy for $5 about 6 months after release.

Top Bottom