• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How bad is Metroid: Other M?

A store that sells games recently found a box filled with stock of old games they didn't know they had, and put them out on clearance for $10, mostly junk, sports, and Kinect.

There were a few Wii games too, mostly shovelware but then I saw copies of Metroid Other M included.

It had me wondering why Metroid Other M would be included with all this shovelware they wanted to get rid of. Was it really that bad and a poor seller? I've heard horror stories about the game but I've also heard many people defend it as a great change of direction for the series. It's the first attempt at giving a personality to Samus in a cinematic setting, but the main problem that fans point out is that the plot allegedly assassinates Samus' character.

It hasn't ever been re-released to my knowledge, which feels like it should be a red flag, but the same could go for Mad World, another Wii game that was actually enjoyable.

So Metroid fans what's the verdict on this. Is it as bad as the more vocal fans say?

Robb

Gold Member
Overall decent. The gameplay is great, very fast paced and action packed for a Metroid game. The CGI cutscenes are gorgeous as well.

The main downside is the story and the way they portray Samus which is very out of character imo.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Haven't played it but what people always complain about is: Bad controls and cry baby Samus... I think I'd they fix those issues the game looks like a natural 3D execution of a classic Metroid game... But then again, haven't played it

Kamina

Golden Boy
If you take a shot every time Samus says “the Baby” you will have a blast!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I thought it was awesome. Looks amazing; possibly the best looking Wii game ever made graphically.

It's 2D Metroid with some unique gameplay twists like the dodge counter and some first person aiming sections. I liked it right away.

People focusing on the story elements remind me of people insisting that MGS V sucks. Who honestly plays these games for the story? It's a fun action game.

Last edited:
The gameplay was cute enough, would’ve worked great as a novelty 3DS game. The story was absolutely abhorrent and a disgrace to Samus as a character.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I thought it was awesome. Looks amazing; possibly the best looking Wii game ever made graphically.

It's 2D Metroid with some unique gameplay twists like the dodge counter and some first person aiming sections. I liked it right away.

People focusing on the story elements remind me of people insisting that MGS V sucks. Who honestly plays these games for the story? It's a fun action game.
Interesting, I should play it. I actually started it but stopped quite early, don’t remember why. I remember the wiimote aiming being problematic, which might’ve been my setup having a window nearby.

My clone brother's mutant arm is controlling his mindddddd. I pretty much just played for the gameplay at that point.

The problem with MGS is if you don't follow the story chronologically, you have no idea what's happening and the cutscenes are funny gibberish until they drag on for too long.

The problem with MGS is if you follow the story chronologically, you have no idea what's happening because they keep changing and retconning the story since they keep releasing new games that weren't originally supposed to be made, and the creator sometimes forgets his own storylines.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Interesting, I should play it. I actually started it but stopped quite early, don’t remember why. I remember the wiimote aiming being problematic, which might’ve been my setup having a window nearby.
It reminds me of an arcade game. The gimmick is the physical peripheral, like arcade games. Graphics are colorful and looked really good. It's NES 2D Metroid, plus a cool counter dodge move, plus the first person pointing. I like weird gimmick stuff like that, but I also owned the Samba de Amigo maracas on Dreamcast so that's my background.

It's has a problem but the game itself is not bad.

Most people who hate other m don't actually realize why they hate it. They just justify it as it the story.

The problem is that the English voice acting changes the tone of the script thus the story. The story is fine, it the delivery of it that's the problem.

When you hear it in Japanese, it's like a completely different game

Last edited:
It's has a problem but the game itself is not bad.

Most people who hate other m don't actually realize why they hate it. They just justify it as it the story.

The problem is that the English voice acting changes the tone of the script thus the story. The story is fine, it the delivery of it that's the problem.

When you hear it in Japanese, it's like a completely different game

While the English VA is markedly bad, this makes me actually want to play again.

tommib

Never played it and regret it since I played all Metroid games. The bad reviews put me off. What’s the best way to play it these days? Why hasn’t Nintendo ported Metroid games anyway to the Switch?

Reactions: Isa

MrMephistoX

Sucks all around. It plays like shit due to the god awful controls.

Yes it was a poor seller, my local walmarts had stacks of the original release for years. There is a reason for that, it was awful.
Makes me curious about swapping controls on Steamdeck: with prime hacks the prime trilogy runs like a dream with standard steam controls and trackpad.

Sgt.Asher

Makes me curious about swapping controls on Steamdeck: with prime hacks the prime trilogy runs like a dream with standard steam controls and trackpad.
It could be a somewhat competent character action game. problem is issues built into the game due to the chosen controls, d pad sideways wiimote. Auto Dodging, auto aim, first person missile firing, all problems that simply changing controls to an analog stick won't fix.
I have seen hackers do impressive things, but i doubt anyone with the skills would want to fix other m's pile of shit.

I thought it was pretty good and didn't deserve the flak it received at launch. Those who criticize the story must not realize that Metroid titles (with the exception of Prime) were never really great stories to begin with, just like Super Mario games.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got it for $10 at Best Buy when Nintendo overestimated demand and there were a glut of copies on the street. I thought it was worth ten bucks.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Good:
+Graphics design and animations are very good
+Combat feels good too (except controls ruining everything)
+Some good and beloved powerups
+Feeling of isolation

The bad:
-Controls are shit! They just ruining everything (D-pad in 3D)
-Worst possible way of forcing "story" into player and stupidity of what's happening is beyond any fan's tolerance
-Unskipable cutscenes and tutorials that often interrupting gameplay

I mean it can be the okay to good Metroid game but it was killed with those unbelievably bad decisions listed above.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It was a weird game. I played it on launch, and like...pros are it's a colorful, interconnected game world with decent presentation for the age of the hardware, and the dodge mechanic was too good for how simple it was.

Bad points, though...
- Treated like a serious foray into storytelling and the pathos of Samus. Came across functionally instead as a weird cross between Saturday morning cartoon and 12+ Shonen anime. Actors either sounded too cartoony given the situation they were in, or the script was written too intelligently for the setting it was in, or something.

-The plotholes and random silly "twists," revealed with the aplomb of an end of episode Scooby-Doo reveal, falling even flatter than it would have otherwise, given these are all events happening to a cast of characters we just met in a series traditionally about scavenging deserted alien planets by yourself.

-it does nothing with new characters, and somehow makes the couple of actual characters Metroid had beforehand worse off. Adam? Major dick. Samus? Weak willed gurl.

Top Bottom