• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honestly, if Diablo IV will turn out to be a success, then we only have ourselves to blame for the state of the industry

The state of the industry is formed by industry giants establishing business models that are able to sustain their game development to deliver a product that meets modern AAA+ standards, dealing with increasing costs, online aspects and being able to support their game and create new content for years to come. Considering that, I feel the GaaS model is necessity for a game like DIV and the way it's implemented in DIV seems reasonable to me. If you think it's unacceptable, what would be a sustainable alternative?

Nydius

People are deluding themselves if they believe the cash shop will always remain “cosmetics only”.

They WILL eventually add gameplay elements to it. I am willing to bet they still start with things like respec tokens in a couple seasons.

WoW added a cash shop with the promise of remaining cosmetics only, and then slowly added gameplay items over time to avoid a deluge of criticism. Overwatch 2 promised the MTX would only be cosmetic until they decided to wall off new heroes behind the battle pass. Sure you CAN get them without paying but the grind is designed to be so daunting that it pushes you to consider tye premium battle pass for the instant unlock.

D4’s cash shop (and/or premium battle pass) WILL have more than cosmetics in the future.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
“What is self-responsibility? The state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.”

I mean seriously if you are old enough to have a bank account and credit card you should have enough self responsibility to not get caught up in these things. It’s a sad state of the world if a majority of people need “ protecting “ from themselves.

PeteBull

People are deluding themselves if they believe the cash shop will always remain “cosmetics only”.

They WILL eventually add gameplay elements to it. I am willing to bet they still start with things like respec tokens in a couple seasons.

WoW added a cash shop with the promise of remaining cosmetics only, and then slowly added gameplay items over time to avoid a deluge of criticism. Overwatch 2 promised the MTX would only be cosmetic until they decided to wall off new heroes behind the battle pass. Sure you CAN get them without paying but the grind is designed to be so daunting that it pushes you to consider tye premium battle pass for the instant unlock.

D4’s cash shop (and/or premium battle pass) WILL have more than cosmetics in the future.
Possibility of it isnt 0, its actually quite high, but by then 99% of diablo fans, myself included will move on and never touch d4 again :p
Personally preordered standard 70€ edition back in december, and not spending an eurocent more till inevitable expack, then ofc i will buy it too ^^

ZehDon

Gold Member

You can respec in the game right now for in-game gold. Are you proposing that Blizzard will simply remove that option?

GHG

Sure. Have you ever tried mortismal gaming? He's one of my favorite guys for this type of game. He specializes in arpgs,trpgs,crpgs etc. He 100 percents them. I look forward to his review.

Yep he's one of the ones I look out for along with acg, skill up, worth a buy and then for general/live playthrough impressions it's fightincowboy. Good luck to him doing 100% for this one though, it will take a while.

Fextralife were glowing in their review and I always enjoy their commentary for RPG games but them alone isn't enough due to the fact that I was so disappointed with D3.

amigastar

And it all started with horse armor for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for 2.50$
300px-Oblivion%E2%80%94Horse_Armor.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Drizzlehell Drizzlehell The kids will play diablo while the men will play poe. You know kids - they have no standards.

Hope I helped 😎

I mean last I played poe armor sets were like 30 bucks a piece otherwise you better be happy looking like a sad sack of potatoes.

And try playing without buying stash tabs.

Hey I love poe, I acknowledge it’s free unlike diablo so whatever Chris Wilson needs to keep poe alive is ok in my opinion.

Last edited:
GaaS is just a buzz word, like all types of games there can be great GaaS and atrocious ones. If I'm enjoying the game enough and playing it enough where it's worth it I have no problems buying a battle pass/season pass etc. to support the company who made the game I enjoyed, but the vast majority of games I don't buy anything besides the game itself. The reviews are good which likely means the game isn't predatory and the paid stuff isn't necessary or game altering. I'm not going to avoid buying a game that looks awesome just because it's a GaaS, because imo that's nonsense

Tomeru

I mean last I played poe armor sets were like 30 bucks a piece otherwise you better be happy looking like a sad sack of potatoes.

And try playing without buying stash tabs.

Hey I love poe, I acknowledge it’s free unlike diablo so whatever Chris Wilson needs to keep poe alive is ok in my opinion.
Oh I don't mind the mtx. Every game can have them afaic. I see something I like - I buy. Or not. Its whatever for me. As long as it's not blatantly p2w and the gane itself is meaty, I don't care. And hey, if the game sucks, it doesn't really matter.

JCK75

I'm going to enjoy the game, I'll pay for actual DLC and nothing else..
if someone wants to pay money for optional cosmetics more power to them, I'm not going to.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We gonna have a repeat of Oblivion horse armour aren't we?
Xbox fans, I'm watching you....
644db453472cc5a52869a1ae48b4da1bba9ead33.gif

Last edited:

Krathoon

Oh yeah. I hate it when you use cash to buy in game currency. That is all kinds of shady.

Especially, when they make the currency confusing. (Looks at Neverwinter.)

Top Bottom