• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy will launch on February 10, 2023 for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC.

Zelda is not bigger than Harry Potter.

not only is Harry Potter a bigger IP but its releasing on like 5 platforms.

EMBBUfJWsAAFczA

especially with zelda releasing on 6 year old hardware. It's gonna be tough for it to recapture the momentum part 1 had with no new hardware
No doubt that BotW 2 will sell fewer than the first one. Especially if it only launches on Switch. For Nintendo, historically direct sequels on the same hardware just don’t do as well. I’m sure they’re aware it won’t make as big of a splash.

??? I'd rather have the game be really good. You don't get a redo.
You're 100% right, but that was the only game I was excited for. God of War Ragnarok I'll take it or leave it.

I doubt my PS5 will get turned on until November now, It hasn't been turned on to play a game since I completed Horizon Forbidden West back in March, only switched on for updates.

The plan would've been to rely on BF2042 to keep me occupied between releases and delays, but that turd has never been an option unfortunately.

Ozriel

M$FT
We got the usual COD, Fifa...and new Pokemon games this fall.

So, the only AAA story driven title coming out this fall is God of War Ragnarok?

Unless it is delayed, Sony truly hit the jackpot this black friday / christmas huh.

They were always going to sell every PS5 they made this holiday. Plus this year’s COD is very popular COD and is guaranteed to be a console seller on its own.

But certainly, software wise, they’ll sell a crazy load of copies of GoW. At full price $70 too.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Lol, you people are so weirdly overprotective of BOTW. People are allowed to be more hyped for other games AND to think those games will have better mechanics than what's on BOTW2.
of course, but I'm allowed to say why I think otherwise. I mean, it's logical too to think that the zelda team will develop a better game than the developers of Disney Infinity and Cars 3.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
sorry, not going to trust your utter nonsense and judgment in video games when we are talking about a publisher like wb that is miss more than hits, and a developer that their last games were:

Toy story 3
Disney Infinity

and Cars 3.

VS

The F*****ing Zelda Team

Go and play some videogames, if you're hyped by pretty graphics alone, play some videogames.

OK I know a little about specifically these two as I was in supply and sales for the toys to life as it was called at the time.

Disney Infinity fucked up, but not in the ways most people think the issue was the way the toy sets worked and restricted characters in story mode to that set, so you could only play the incredible in the incredible set etc. However the toy box mode which was present in both titles although toy story 3 was stand alone (no figures, buy the game, get the full toy box), where excellent experiences, which pleased their targeted demographics immensely and even beyond that.

I have no idea about Cars 3, but the fact they worked on the other two, as long as they have retained the talent is actually a good thing.

People tend to assume kids games where shit, especially ones sold at the intent to sell physical DLC, but actually no... some of them are pretty damn good, these stood out as more then competent compared to alot of others being sold, it was still just coming off the back of we now call wii shovelware at the time and I think people still associate kids games with that level of quality somewhat unfairly.

Sure these guys are not AAA but they haven't really done a bad release (unless cars is shit) and they managed this all while under the watchful eye of early 2010's Disney which is even more demanding than Hasbro.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
OK I know a little about specifically these two as I was in supply and sales for the toys to life as it was called at the time.

Disney Infinity fucked up, but not in the ways most people think the issue was the way the toy sets worked and restricted characters in story mode to that set, so you could only play the incredible in the incredible set etc. However the toy box mode which was present in both titles although toy story 3 was stand alone (no figures, buy the game, get the full toy box), where excellent experiences, which pleased their targeted demographics immensely and even beyond that.

I have no idea about Cars 3, but the fact they worked on the other two, as long as they have retained the talent is actually a good thing.

People tend to assume kids games where shit, especially ones sold at the intent to sell physical DLC, but actually no... some of them are pretty damn good, these stood out as more then competent compared to alot of others being sold, it was still just coming off the back or wii shovelware at the time and I think people still associate kids games with that level of quality somewhat unfairly.

Sure these guys are not AAA but they haven't really done a bad release (unless cars is shit) and they managed this all while under the watchful eye of early 2010's Disney.
In no way I said they made bad games nor that Harry Potter will be bad, my original comment was a cheeky comment saying "is this the game that will be overshadowed by Botw 2" because of the spring release date, and some people are mad as f, when they never played Disney Infinity or cars 3. I mean, even if I was being serious, is it crazy to say that ZELDA, a franchise that always gives 9/10 and 10/10 games will be better than this game? I know Harry Potter have a lot of fanboys but damn, it's not like the franchise is the pinnacle of gaming. Pretty graphics are not going to sell me an unproven developer developing an unproven franchise in gaming.

Last edited:

Handel

No problem with a delay, this needs to be done right as it's the first real shot at a AAA Harry Potter game. Fumble this and it will never get another chance.

I'm having a hoot that people think a Harry Potter Open World RPG should have anything to worry about. If anything this game will overshadow Zelda.
You're smoking crack if you think that the sequel to a game that has sold nearly 30 million copies, and is part of the most revered franchise in gaming, will be overshadowed by a game from an unproven team based on a franchise in decline (if still strong).

Tams

I don't know why you believe there is some big segmentation among people who like Harry Potter and also like gaming. Harry Potter has had "not casual" video games before. Weird argument. Gaming is bigger than ever and this is basically every Harry Potter fan's biggest wet dream.

With you being able to play as the four houses I wouldn't be surprised if this game blows up on twitch/youtube gaming for roleplaying.

edit: and at least for me, if it came down to choosing between Zelda or Harry Potter.... Zelda will wait.

Geez, lighten up. You seem offended for some reason.

I don't think it is every Harry Potter fans' greatest dream though. Many really like the characters of the main books and I'm not sure how popular an older, sorta Victorian wizarding world is going to be.

Dolodolo

Here some people either pretend to be fools, or they are

God of war Ragnarok - will be the second Elden Ring, in terms of hype and talk.
Not a single game should even come close to this within a month, otherwise it will simply be erased from the information field

It doesn't matter if there are different audiences or not, when all the noise everywhere will be about one project.

Last edited:

Kabelly

No problem with a delay, this needs to be done right as it's the first real shot at a AAA Harry Potter game. Fumble this and it will never get another chance.

You're smoking crack if you think that the sequel to a game that has sold nearly 30 million copies, and is part of the most revered franchise in gaming, will be overshadowed by a game from an unproven team based on a franchise in decline (if still strong).
The general gaming population that don't dwell in forums are not even going to think or care about what studio made this game. Some parent buying this game for their kid is not gonna stop themselves because, "oh, wait. This game was made by Avalance?" They're going to see Harry Potter. I doubt most people even know the name of the creator of Zelda.

And Switch has a lot more games and variety compared to when Switch launched. I agree with people saying this game won't sell as much as BOTW1. It will do great don't get me wrong, and I will buy it probaby, but again if I had to choose between one, I'll choose the fresh Harry Potter game over an iterative BOTW sequel.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Damn, for some reason this is a game I want to play in the winter
I always read the Harry Potter books and watch the movies around December. There's something comforting about it. I remember as a kid wanting to spend christmas at Hogwarts so that'll probably be why I love reading them at that time of the year.

Saving a lot money from these delays. Smh lol !
that makes no sense. you're only going to save money if you don't buy them. the cost will just be spread out otherwise.

Last edited:

Handel

The general gaming population that don't dwell in forums are not even going to think or care about what studio made this game. Some parent buying this game for their kid is not gonna stop themselves because, "oh, wait. This game was made by Avalance?" They're going to see Harry Potter. I doubt most people even know the name of the creator of Zelda.

And Switch has a lot more games and variety compared to when Switch launched. I agree with people saying this game won't sell as much as BOTW1. It will do great don't get me wrong, and I will buy it probaby, but again if I had to choose between one, I'll choose the fresh Harry Potter game over an iterative BOTW sequel.
You're underestimating how much name recognition Nintendo and Zelda have even among casual gamers. Even casual gamers have a care for review scores, and proven track records. Random parent not so much, but that only gets you so many sales. You don't reach into the tens of millions of sales just by having a game be set in a popular universe from another medium.

Your argument that the Switch has more options now than when BOTW launched doesn't hold up as it has had extremely long legs, selling majority of its units after the Switch's first year of life, millions each year. It's entered into top 20 overall best selling games in a month in NA on multiple occasions years after its release. It isn't a game people bought just because they had nothing else to buy, it's one of the highest rated games of all time that instantly became a part of the conversation for greatest game of all time.

BOTW2 might not sell quite as well as BOTW1, due to shown trends in regards to sequels across mediums, but it will very likely sell over 20M+ and solidly more than Hogwarts Legacy.

KXVXII9X

Grounded in September.
Much more interesting than all these cinematic action-adventures from the conveyor belt.
Umm, it is another survival game, something we had a plethora of in the last several years. I actually like it and find it a good game, but let's not act like it is necessarily more unique than the other games you are discounting because you think you are above cinematic games (which all have plenty of gameplay.)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Grounded in September.
Much more interesting than all these cinematic action-adventures from the conveyor belt.
whatever.
Umm, it is another survival game, something we had a plethora of in the last several years. I actually like it and find it a good game, but let's not act like it is necessarily more unique than the other games you are discounting because you think you are above cinematic games (which all have plenty of gameplay.)
He's triggered that I told the truth about Microsoft's inability to properly manage their studios and get AAA games out in a timely fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if Starfield gets at least two more delays. I want MS to succeed, but with all the studio power they've acquired over the last few years, they should have a big AAA exclusive coming every 6 month from a steady rotation of studios.

"They're coming! Just wait until <insert next year hear>"

At this point it's like asking that hot chick to a date, where she says "yes" but keeps cancelling. I do hope that MS will fix this trend, but I do think it will require some management change.

levyjl1988

Banned
So much competition in 2023, it’s gonna affect sales especially for those who have money for one and not the other. Also 2023 GOTY will be fierce, we already know 2022 GOTY goes to Elden Ring.

Tams

You're underestimating how much name recognition Nintendo and Zelda have even among casual gamers. Even casual gamers have a care for review scores, and proven track records. Random parent not so much, but that only gets you so many sales. You don't reach into the tens of millions of sales just by having a game be set in a popular universe from another medium.

Your argument that the Switch has more options now than when BOTW launched doesn't hold up as it has had extremely long legs, selling majority of its units after the Switch's first year of life, millions each year. It's entered into top 20 overall best selling games in a month in NA on multiple occasions years after its release. It isn't a game people bought just because they had nothing else to buy, it's one of the highest rated games of all time that instantly became a part of the conversation for greatest game of all time.

BOTW2 might not sell quite as well as BOTW1, due to shown trends in regards to sequels across mediums, but it will very likely sell over 20M+ and solidly more than Hogwarts Legacy.

Yeah, brand name alone only gets you so far. Just look at Wizards Unite... well, if you could. It didn't even have a decent launch. And that was a 'casual' game that should have suited Harry Potter fans better.

Now, Zelda is no Pokémon, but it does have a dedicated fanbase who buy it for the computer games above all else. Harry Potter fans are diverse and not all are interested in computer games.

Lupin25

I always read the Harry Potter books and watch the movies around December. There's something comforting about it. I remember as a kid wanting to spend christmas at Hogwarts so that'll probably be why I love reading them at that time of the year.

that makes no sense. you're only going to save money if you don't buy them. the cost will just be spread out otherwise.

Exactly. I’m not saving money overall, but as of now, as of “this” year?
I am lol.

These delays also don’t give me confidence these games will produce as expected, either. So while we’re on the topic, I’m actually sceptical of Hogwarts Legacy (I may not buy it).

Stacked? With what?

I mean we have Soul Hackers 2 soon, God of War... but everything else has been delayed right?

Saints Row
Soul Hackers 2
Last of Us Part 1
Metal: Hellsinger
Steelrising
Diofield Chronicle
Splatoon 3
Plague Tale Requiem
Gotham Knights
Bayonetta 3
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
COD Modern Warfare 2
God of War Ragnarok
Tactics Ogre Reborn
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
Company of Heroes 3
Pentiment
Evil West
Warhammer 40k Darktide
Callisto Protocol

Umbasaborne

Banned
whatever.

He's triggered that I told the truth about Microsoft's inability to properly manage their studios and get AAA games out in a timely fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if Starfield gets at least two more delays. I want MS to succeed, but with all the studio power they've acquired over the last few years, they should have a big AAA exclusive coming every 6 month from a steady rotation of studios.

"They're coming! Just wait until <insert next year hear>"

At this point it's like asking that hot chick to a date, where she says "yes" but keeps cancelling. I do hope that MS will fix this trend, but I do think it will require some management change.
Yep, sick of being told by microsoft and other xbox fan boys that next year will be the year. They have been saying that for the last decade. Its time to put up or shut up, and the fact that they dont have a single tripple a release on their consoles this year is fucking embarassing

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
He's triggered that I told the truth about Microsoft's inability to properly manage their studios and get AAA games out in a timely fashion.
....In a thread that has literally nothing to do with Microsoft nor their exclusive output.
You do realize people get banned for derailing threads like this right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom