• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy tops 2023 UK boxed charts (halts FIfa's 10 year dominance)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/hogwarts-legacy-wins-uk-boxed-charts

It means EA Sports FC 24 was unable to catch Warner Bros' Harry Potter spin-off. Hogwarts Legacy launched in February on PS5, PC and Xbox Series S and X, while EA’s football title landed in September.

It is the first time in a decade that EA’s football game, previously operating under the FIFA licence, isn’t the UK’s top boxed game. The last time this happened was in 2013 when Grand Theft Auto 5 took the top spot.

Saber

Gold Member
Reera right now:

267VaYp.png

Hogwarts Legacy's boxed sales came mostly on PS5, which accounted for well over half the title's sales this year. The second biggest platform was PS4, followed by Nintendo Switch. The PS4 version arrived in May with the Nintendo Switch edition reaching shelves in November.
The way this game was almost a 1st party exclusive for Sony early last year with that marketing deal and the exclusive level, lmao.

Sybrix

Hogwarts Legacy deserves. The game is made with a lot of love and it shows. Hope the game continues to soar new heights. Looking forward to DLC or sequel.

fw19Y8R.jpg

Yeah, you know it really felt like an old school movie game, in terms of gameplay and quality.

The Lord Of The Rings Ps2 games were the GOAT movie games, and Hogwarts Legacy really deserves to be along side them.

Really hope for some future DLC or a sequel game.

yazenov

Platform splits taken from Installbase

Hogwarts Legacy
PS5 39%, PS4 25%, Switch 22%, Xbox 9%

EA Sports FC 24
PS5 38%, PS4 25%, Switch 23%, Xbox 15%

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
PS5 50%, PS4 48%, Xbox 2%, Switch 0%

Sonic Superstars
Switch 52%, PS5 31%, Xbox 9%, PS4 7%

Just Dance 2024 Edition
Switch 97%, PS5 2%, Xbox 1%

Wreckfest
PS5 98%, Switch 1%, PS4 0%

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Switch 52%, PS5 35%, PS4 9%, Xbox 4%

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition
PC 93%, PS4 4%, Xbox 3%, Switch 0%

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition
Switch 46%, PS4 34%, Xbox 19%

Fbh

We should really make more noise about it not being at the game awards.. I just can’t care that much about anything.. but I should.

To be fair awards shows aren't based on sales. Otherwise COD and FIFA should be up for tons of awards every year.
The game is fun but in a particularly strong year like this one I don't think it necessarily deserved a Goty nomination.

That said I could have seen it at least getting nominated for art direction and music as I think both of those were quite good.

yazenov

Is this boxed sales? Like half of Xboxes sold this gen don’t have a disc drive.

Gamepass cannibalises software sales and the XBS hardware sales is tracking less than the Xbox one. The PS5 outsold it by more than 3 to 1 worldwide this year.

Those two factors would tell you that it won't make a different if you include digital. Both the PS5 and PS4 sells a metric tone of digital games as well given the huge user base so it could look much worst for Xbox.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Hogwarts Legacy
Xbox 9%

EA Sports FC 24
Xbox 15%

Xbox 2%,

Sonic Superstars
Xbox 9%,

Just Dance 2024 Edition
Xbox 1%

Xbox 4%

Xbox 3%,

Xbox 19%

b7c6787505468adbf8d8572b7d59d037.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Rare deserved ea win. It’s a great game.
I was going to post that scum John tweet about it being a fucking open world game for kids… but it’s new year. Let’s be nice.

Last edited:
Hogwarts Legacy
Xbox 9%

EA Sports FC 24
Xbox 15%

Xbox 2%,

Sonic Superstars
Xbox 9%,

Just Dance 2024 Edition
Xbox 1%

Xbox 4%

Xbox 3%,

Xbox 19%

b7c6787505468adbf8d8572b7d59d037.gif
I mean...considering Series S is their best selling console this gen and it has no physical support, is this any surprise?

Baki

Hogwarts Legacy

EA Sports FC 24

Sonic Superstars

Just Dance 2024 Edition

Wreckfest

These are just for 1 week

Mr Moose

So Hogwarts was Christmas number one, nice. That other article two weeks before Christmas was stupid.
Edit: This one:

Here is the GfK Boxed Top Ten for this week ending December 16, 2023:

Last edited:
Rare deserved ea win. It’s a great game.
I was going to post that scum John tweet about it being a fucking open world game for kids… but it’s new year. Let’s be nice.
John is a soyboy and was offended by Hogwarts like all the other clowns over at Resetera who banned any discussions about the game. He had to hate on it and make sure his fellow hateful groupthink sheep heard him as to keep in good standing with them.

Interfectum

Hogwarts Legacy

EA Sports FC 24

Sonic Superstars

Just Dance 2024 Edition

Wreckfest

Fjf3WBeX0AAZZcd.jpg:large

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
John is a soyboy and was offended by Hogwarts like all the other clowns over at Resetera who banned any discussions about the game. He had to hate on it and make sure his fellow hateful groupthink sheep heard him as to keep in good standing with them.
He was a user here but he was sad or something and reeeee crowd jerks him off at their place, so he converted.
I love his videos for what it's worth. He is the most knowledgeable guy there probably

YCoCg

This bullshit makes this place as bad as that place, John doesn't like Open World games and he doesn't like Harry Potter, yet you lot hounded him for that, I don't like Harry Potter, does that make me a woke soy boy? He left Ree long ago too, he was sick of their shit too, John is just the kind of person who gets too involved with what haters say, and both here and ree there's plenty of haters.

He was a user here but he was sad or something and reeeee crowd jerks him off at their place, so he converted.
Like this guy, the fact that you lot still think he's active on ree is hilarious.

By the way, you lot LOVE to bring up how John didn't cover it but why do you never seem to mention Ollie, who did cover it and said he liked it? It's almost like you prefer to screech about people having a different opinion, sort of like ree.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This bullshit makes this place as bad as that place, John doesn't like Open World games and he doesn't like Harry Potter, yet you lot hounded him for that, I don't like Harry Potter, does that make me a woke soy boy? He left Ree long ago too, he was sick of their shit too, John is just the kind of person who gets too involved with what haters say, and both here and ree there's plenty of haters.

Like this guy, the fact that you lot still think he's active on ree is hilarious.

By the way, you lot LOVE to bring up how John didn't cover it but why do you never seem to mention Ollie, who did cover it and said he liked it? It's almost like you prefer to screech about people having a different opinion, sort of like ree.
excuse me? last I've seen he was posting there but obviously I don't follow the place.
We all know why John did not cover it for political reasons and Ollie did over a month after game release just so they can have it covered after all.
Normally John or Alex covers biggest releases. And Hogwarts was the biggest multiplatform tech release of that year. Everyone was waiting for their opinion which version to buy... not 1 month later video after the dust has settled.

They cover all other important, similar releases PRE RELEASE... not over month later.

I am surprised someone buys his crap "I don't like HP and open world games".
1- who fucking cares, do your job patreons pay you for.
2 - get real, if you hate open world games, why you cover all of them

YCoCg

excuse me? last I've seen he was posting there but obviously I don't follow the place.
We all know why John did not cover it for political reasons and Ollie did over a month after game release just so they can have it covered after all.
Normally John or Alex covers biggest releases. And Hogwarts was the biggest multiplatform tech release of that year. Everyone was waiting for their opinion which version to buy... not 1 month later video after the dust has settled.

They cover all other important, similar releases PRE RELEASE... not over month later.

I am surprised someone buys his crap "I don't like HP and open world games".
1- who fucking cares, do your job patreons pay you for.
2 - get real, if you hate open world games, why you cover all of them
You clearly have some bias against John over this just because he specifically didn't review your wizard game. There's been plenty of games they've not been able to do, they've openly spoke about it on the podcast of times they've missed out on a specific big release or when someone else has had to step in, etc. A lot of the recent open world stuff has been done by Ollie or Tom, John has been focusing more on retro and platformers. As for "last I've seen he was posting there" shows how outdated your info is as he left ree well over a year ago.

You come across as someone who doesn't follow DF at all and just seem to be flinging shit at the wall basing it off posts here.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You clearly have some bias against John over this just because he specifically didn't review your wizard game. There's been plenty of games they've not been able to do, they've openly spoke about it on the podcast of times they've missed out on a specific big release or when someone else has had to step in, etc. A lot of the recent open world stuff has been done by Ollie or Tom, John has been focusing more on retro and platformers. As for "last I've seen he was posting there" shows how outdated your info is as he left ree well over a year ago.

You come across as someone who doesn't follow DF at all and just seem to be flinging shit at the wall basing it off posts here.
I follow DF.
They clearly folded over the controversy and not wanting to anger the reee mob.
That's all there is to it.

Making up shit on twitter by john is just pathetic.... and offending this games fans is too, as his tweet suggested

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

A lot of people on GAF are starting to notice this. Some posters want GAF to be the Anti-REEEE.

Top Bottom