• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Eh, they literally put that little flying bastard in your face so bitch eating crackers is as apt as jury tampering.

I hope you find the theater soon. If you're a fan of red letter media, you'll want to sit around for an hour and a half :D

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That and AMEM is why I continue this slog.
Nothing will compare to my happiness stumbling upon that entirely on my own with no expectations or spoilers. Its funny but your enjoyment will be lessened by advance notice and over hype.

No games ever do this. Its a wonderful Easter egg.

bender

What time is it?
Nothing will compare to my happiness stumbling upon that entirely on my own with no expectations or spoilers. Its funny but your enjoyment will be lessened by advance notice and over hype.

No games ever do this. Its a wonderful Easter egg.

It's the drawback of playing games at a one achievement per day pace.

bender

What time is it?
What is "AMEM"?

Achieve More Earn More. Part of the rewards program. You get 50 points per day for earning an achievement. I don't think it's possible for me to run out of achievement options but the mental block in my head has me stop playing a game after I earn an achievement. High on Life has been rough as you pop a ton of achievements early on. I've been playing since launch and I'm finally up to 3rd bounty boss (Kubris).

Topher

Gold Member
Achieve More Earn More. Part of the rewards program. You get 50 points per day for earning an achievement. I don't think it's possible for me to run out of achievement options but the mental block in my head has me stop playing a game after I earn an achievement. High on Life has been rough as you pop a ton of achievements early on. I've been playing since launch and I'm finally up to 3rd bounty boss (Kubris).

Ah.....ok. Know what that is just never didn't put it together with the acronym. I'm pretty good about staying on top of the daily/weekly quests, but I'm hit and miss with AMEM.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im on boss 4 and I dont pay attention to that lol. Girlfriend restriction.

manfestival

Just finished the game. I think I would rate the game like a 7.5. The narrative is definitely stronger than most things. some of the aspects of the game grew on me over time like the graphics and the gameplay. I do definitely like that there are different outcomes based on decisions

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Basically a mischievous post. At multiple times, the poster himself has called Destruction All Stars ‘bland’, ‘not fun’ and an epic failure.
Sounds like the complete opposite of high on life....maybe the poster was getting mixed up.....

oldergamer

Basically a mischievous post. At multiple times, the poster himself has called Destruction All Stars ‘bland’, ‘not fun’ and an epic failure.
Again, I don't see why he would bother bringing it "multiple times" into a conversation about high on life. The gameplay of DS bears no similarity to HoL. Its totally ridiculous to post Metacritic numbers for other games that nobody is playing, and compare them to a game that many people are playing.

If you have gamepass, you can just play it and see if you like it. There is little to no need to express concern over metacritic ( note the scores there can also be skewed ) when most people are in a position to judge for themselves. Honestly the need for review scores is a thing of the past imo.

oldergamer

Don't understand why this game get it's own tread? Reads like a buggy meh game.
I'm almost finished and have yet to see any bugs. Its a far better game then i was expecting with a level of polish you don't see on most titles. That's why it has its own thread.

I literally only have one criticism of the game and that's the hub world being fairly quiet. They need to patch some more NPCs and ambient noise in.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Beat this a few days ago. Loved it, but a larger budget and maybe another month or two of development time would've helped. It has that classic "first game of a new IP" feel.

Absolutely charmed by it though. Still thinking about it regularly days later. 8/10 from me.

The ending was kind of abrubt, but I LOVED
the final gun you get. every time I heard "LEZDOIT" I cracked up. So fun

Last edited:

adamsapple

Beat this a few days ago. Loved it, but a larger budget and maybe another month or two of development time would've helped. It has that classic "first game of a new IP" feel.

Absolutely charmed by it though. Still thinking about it regularly days later. 8/10 from me.

The ending was kind of abrubt, but I LOVED
the final gun you get. every time I heard "LEZDOIT" I cracked up. So fun

If you haven't, go for the sequel bait achievement. It ... is a very big sequel bait as the name suggests lol.

Bridges

The "Mods Please Ban" achievement won't pop, still says I have to visit three areas in downtown blim which is impossible not to do throughout the course of the game. Real bummer after 100%ing everything else to see the ticker stuck at 85% for this last achievement.

All that aside, game was awesome, really glad this exists and is getting a lot of well deserved buzz. I hope they have a higher budget for the sequel for more areas and enemy variety. Humor was great from start to finish, several of the gags at the very end were probably the funniest scripted moments I've ever seen in games.

LordOfChaos

Just finished. I thought the end was a bit of a fizzle and the certain sacrifice resolved too quickly to have any real impact, but still, solid enough game to play on gamepass. I think it ended at about the right time too, wouldn't have wanted it to stretch more, but it was enough to be satisfying.

Now sitting in the house watching alien commercials lol.

Where's Lizzie after all this in the house btw? I also happened to think her voice actress was the weakest of the bunch through the whole game, not super important though

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Watching some Vampire Hookers now. So far the other 3 were better but its okay lol. Reminds me of Black Samurai. Definitely 1970s.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Twice, characters called other characters “racist” for things which had nothing to do with race as a joke, thus making fun of people who call everything racist as their main form of communication. It was pretty funny.
I just saw Stewart Lee (the UK's masterful comedian, who is also undisputedly left wing) joke that someone in his audience was racist, for reasons that definitely would not indicate that someone was racist.

I think that's a case closed for me. The joke is not there to bait "woke" people. Unless Stewart Lee is suddenly adopted by Nigel Farage and co.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Anyone know where to gather warp drives after the end of the game? I have one warp disc left (the expensive one) and want to try to get it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone know where to gather warp drives after the end of the game? I have one warp disc left (the expensive one) and want to try to get it.
Just wander around and anytime an enemy base warps in, they have a warp drive crystal. I found several in the jungle in areas I'd already been to. But who knows.

They also show up on the radar as a blue mark if you're close.

Last edited:

Hugare

I'm playing right now, and tho there are some things to love here, the gameplay is really ho-hum so far and is starting to bore me

Bosses are a highlight. Loved Douglas and 9-Torg, specially Douglas.

Art design and animations are really great. Characters move fluidly and are very expressive.

Human characters (well, your sister) are bland in comparison, but alien animations truly shine

Jokes sometimes land, but more often than not it misses, imo. And this is coming from someone who loves R&M.

It's a decent, 7.0 game so far. Nothing extraordinary, but enjoyable.

But really impressive as the first AA-ish game from Squanch Games.

With the money that they are gonna get from this game's popularity, I see a good future for them

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
By the way, was I the only one that paused the game and checked the door when the knocking started in this part? Hazards of a good surround system, it fooled the wife and I both.
That 100% threw me for a loop. The way I figured out it was in-game and not actually at my door was because I was playing with headphones, and my dog didn't start howling lmao

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm early on, but the part
where you first go down to the slums and run into a guy nonchalantly going "Oh, man, I broke my leg coming down that pipe. Be careful" as his leg sat completely separated from his body
had me legitimately cracking up for a good ten seconds or so. If I can get one moment like that per hour, this will be the funniest game ever made for me

adamsapple

I'm early on, but the part
where you first go down to the slums and run into a guy nonchalantly going "Oh, man, I broke my leg coming down that pipe. Be careful" as his leg sat completely separated from his body
had me legitimately cracking up for a good ten seconds or so. If I can get one moment like that per hour, this will be the funniest game ever made for me

You can go back to that location even after finishing the quests in that specific area for more ambient lines from the NPCs.

They wrote and recorded a metric ton of NPC dialogue for this game.

Top Bottom