• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

damidu

still no evidence that I'm seeing that reviewers are punishing the game for anything related to politics. Some of them just don't think the game is funny. That is ok.
no evidence, because its bullshit
i love how around here a metacritic score is lauded as sole value of a game when it aligns with people’s expectations.
and its instantly thread full of “fuck the reviews, tin foil conspiracy theories” the moment it doesn’t.

exactly like how a five year old brain would work.

Topher

Gold Member
Any game that can make me sit on a virtual sofa in-game and watch a 90s show for 10 mins is aces in my book.

No kidding. I keep getting drawn into stuff on the TV in the house and stuff playing on the monitors outside. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
High on Life Steam sales skyrocket alongside PC Game Pass success

It looks like High on Life Steam sales are off to a very strong start. The irreverent comedy FPS game from Squanch Games, founded by Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland, has pushed past Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and FIFA 23 to take second place behind the Steam Deck on the weekly top sellers list, as reported by SteamDB. Perhaps even more impressive is that the High on Life release also saw the game come to Microsoft’s PC Game Pass subscription service, yet this hasn’t stopped it from selling big on Steam as well.

freefornow

Gold Member
The people who don’t like it have a stick up their butt.
Eurogamer have a literal forrest up theirs. Another article doubling down on their review. We get it! You didnt like it! But bringing you clicks though, so all good.

Edwin's spirited takedown of Squanch Games' noisy shooter has been one of our most popular reviews of the year, which goes to show you all love to see a proper shoeing.

The thing is, I think Edwin was quite kind to a game whose obnoxiousness is its calling card. Kinder than I might have been, anyway, after spending an evening in High on Life's company earlier this week which proved both dreary and draining.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I did the Douglas bounty today. Taking my complaints about the humor aside, the enemies and gun play are pretty ho-hum. Also making fun of endless waves of enemy encounters isn't a great excuse for including it in your design.

RPS37

9rrcolw.jpg

Cliff knows what’s up.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished it yesterday, was a pretty great ride!

Would probably land at a 7.5/10 if I’d score it. Not perfect by any means but very enjoyable.

I’d love a more polished sequel.

Did you get the
sequel bait achievement and the segment that accompanies it ?

There's definitely an established plot point to make a sequel off of if they want to.

Last edited:

Roberts

Finished it finally. Not much to say that has't already been said, but it was a super fun ride. I have some tiny issues with it, but overall the gameplay is way better than it had any right to be. It is like they reverse engineered Halo, R&C and a few other games and figured out how to really make it work without having years of experience making this type of a game. I especially enjoyed the boss battles. A solid 8/10.

adamsapple

John talking about what the original issue with the games performance was which was fixed in the day 2 patch.

The frame rate was always locked 60, but the deltas at which the frames were presented was wildly inconsistent.

Thankfully they fixed that real quick, but you gotta wonder how much this impacted the reviews.

GymWolf

John talking about what the original issue with the games performance was which was fixed in the day 2 patch.

The frame rate was always locked 60, but the deltas at which the frames were presented was wildly inconsistent.

Thankfully they fixed that real quick, but you gotta wonder how much this impacted the reviews.

But the buggy AF watcher 3 next gen version get a 97 MC:lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
That kind of humor isn't going to raise any eyebrows though. I think there is a big gap between politically incorrect and "woke". Either way, still no evidence that I'm seeing that reviewers are punishing the game for anything related to politics. Some of them just don't think the game is funny. That is ok.
Roiland is calculatedly apolitical in fact. He talks in interviews about just completely avoiding those sorts of polarized subjects so that he doesn't have to deal with that kind of thing.

SF Kosmo

If you watch the full thing, he also pushes back on Eurogamer's review and says he likes the game and recommends checking it out if you vibe with the humor.

oji-san

Banned
Also finished, had a lot of fun of it, i liked both the gameplay and the humor. Boss fights were cool and fun.
I had 2 bugs in my playthrough, i started playing before the day 1 patch and the hunter forums worked ok and i unlocked some of them, but after the day 1 patch all forums was unavailable to me to read, all locked. Also 2-3 times towards the end even tho i upgraded my guns ammo sacs they returned to default ammo count, exiting and reloading the game fixed it thankfully.
Overall i'm very satisfied and High on Life was on my list of games i was looking forward to and it didn't disappoint, probably 7.5-8 to me.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think I'm going to need to try this game after reading a lot of the responses in this thread and looking at the user's comments on MC.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love how around here a metacritic score is lauded as sole value of a game when it aligns with people’s expectations.
and its instantly thread full of “fuck the reviews, tin foil conspiracy theories” the moment it doesn’t.

Fanboys suck.

Certinty

The boss fights are seriously underrated in this game. The only real issues are that they’re easy (like the rest of the game) and that the final boss is arguably the weakest, but a good amount of them are great.

LordOfChaos

I'm liking the game but 70% seems perfectly fair, it's a fun romp gamepass title, what is anyone ever talking about

bk4ikiywcvz81.jpg

SF Kosmo

I'm liking the game but 70% seems perfectly fair, it's a fun romp gamepass title, what is anyone ever talking about
On the KindaFunny podcast, they coined the term "swimming in sevens" to describe games like this, that aren't great in objective terms, but are just interesting, charming, unique, and enjoyable in ways that a numeric score isn't going to capture.

And that's this game. Most games that are 7/10 are 7/10 because they're dull and unexeptional, which is often the worst thing a game can be. But this isn't that. It's a game that stands out, that's memorable, that you want to share with your friends. That's why it's doing well.

Last edited:
On the KindaFunny podcast, they coined the term "swimming in sevens" to describe games like this, that aren't great in objective terms, but are just interesting, charming, unique, and enjoyable in ways that a numeric score isn't going to capture.

And that's this game. Most games that are 7/10 are 7/10 because they're dull and unexeptional, which is often the worst thing a game can be. But this isn't that. It's a game that stands out, that's memorable, that you want to share with your friends. That's why it's doing well.

That term was actually coined by Huber from Easy Allies I believe.

But this is a 61 metacritic.

SF Kosmo

I was surprised there was some nudity in one of the movies, the tiny Tim one.,
One of the movies is Vampire Hookers, man.

But this is a 61 metacritic.
But it's not like that's the consensus, it's a polarizing game. People seem to think it's a 7-8 or a 4-5, based on where you fall on the humor.

You can't always review games with numbers, that's kind of my point.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

lp8h4p26707a1.jpg

What's this blurred out thing supposed to be? I assume it's some sort of gag? EDIT: Looool I was so focused on the notebook and the blurred part not being a picture or anything that I didn't even see the sounding rod above it

Last edited:

ungalo

If we're talking about arithmetics i'm totally down for a 7, even less maybe. I's a nice game, and for this year it's already good.

But it's not like the so-called 7 out of 10 games are always rated 7 out of 10. So when mainstream sites are talking like that it's really laughable. Who overrate everything because it ticks all the boxes ?

damidu

im enjoying the writing, but oh boy the combat is the blandest ive seen in years.
and they send waves and waves and waves of enemies.

adamsapple

Got it downloaded but haven't played yet.. but seems to be getting legs...

Guess with this, Vampire Survivors (yay baby!), and Pentiment it's been a stellar month. Guess I need to dive in.

Yep. Third party and/or smaller scale stuff has really propped up and made game pass an incredible service in the absence of big tenpole AAA type releases. And the service in-turn allows games like that to receive a far wider audience than they might have otherwise. It's a great symbiotic relationship.

A game like High on Life would probably have disappeared in obscurity if it were a retail release only.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yep. Third party and/or smaller scale stuff has really propped up and made game pass an incredible service in the absence of big tenpole AAA type releases. And the service in-turn allows games like that to receive a far wider audience than they might have otherwise. It's a great symbiotic relationship.

A game like High on Life would probably have disappeared in obscurity if it were a retail release only.
61 MC. No marketing. It would be toast without GP.

bender

What time is it?
Reached Krubis tonight. This game pops achievements like candy. I thought I hated the humor before but this level was aggressively annoying.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Because we all know the ACTUAL reason. Since it's only on Xbox/PC thus, anti-cinematic trash deserving of ridicule.
j/k

Top Bottom