• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst (Head of Playstation Studios) :"We're commited to experimentation and to coming up with fresh ideas."

tenor.gif

Enjoy that Crow.

Take the loss and move on bud.

Mario is a generic 3rd person italian action game

Mario is a generic 3rd person italian action game
Which Mario? Paper Mario? Mario Maker? Mario Sunshine? Mario 3DWorld? New Super Mario Bros? Mario Tennis? Mario Golf? Mario Strikers? Mario Party? Mario Galaxy? Mario RPG? Mario Paint? Mario Odyssey? Mario 64? Mario Clash?

Sorry. Wasn't sure which one you were talking about.

giphy.gif

f9dca823570d51c1ffea3fbb4b72cc4f.jpg

I love Sony, but some of you guys are insane and refuse to see the truth.

Last edited:

SSfox

I used to love Mario, but the way Nintendo have been milking it made me quite tired about it.

This is what i hate most about some companies, they do an innovative game, it sells very well, then they keep milking the IP over and over and over, and most time in those cases they don't even try to do something else outside fresh and innovative.

Sony has always been ones of the few that don't abuse that greed tech, and i hope it will stay that way, or else they're gonna just become another Nintendo or another Microsoft. Which i think any respectful playstation fan don't want to happen.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I used to love Mario, but the way Nintendo have been milking it made me quite tired about it.

This is what i hate most about some companies, they do an innovative game, it sells very well, then they keep milking the IP over and over and over, and most time in those cases they don't even try to do something else outside fresh and innovative.

Sony has always been ones of the few that don't abuse that greed tech, and i hope it will stay that way, or else they're gonna just become another Nintendo or another Microsoft. Which i think any respectful playstation fan don't want to happen.
Your joking right? How many God of War games has there been? Naughty Dog has worked on 2 games since the ps3 and the first ps5 game is a remaster of one of those games. They all do it lol.

yurinka

I think this was is a direct answer to all those who were saying crap like "Sony only cares for big AAA games" or that they don't want diversity in their Playstation studios.
But but... Jason told me Sony is obsessed with a few super succesful AAAA single player IPs! And that Sony is a mess and everyone is mad with Naughty Dog and the PlayStation executives! And that they will make less games! And that they are avoiding Japan!

New IPs? Multiplayer game? Smaller, creative games? Hermen Hulst must be lying! And Jimbo saying they will have more exclusives for PS5 than in any previous console? And that they have a lot of support from Japanese devs and are working to get even more? Jimbo must be lying too!

Jason must be right with something! Sony is doomed! The Earth is flat! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Your joking right? How many God of War games has there been? Naughty Dog has worked on 2 games since the ps3 and the first ps5 game is a remaster of one of those games. They all do it lol.
Seems you skipped that Sesame Street chapter where they were teaching to count beyond 2. They released more than 2 games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Naughty_Dog_video_games

Studio Japan has not been closed, they just reorganized it around Team Asobi and let their options on a lot of long-time staff members' annual contracts lapse.

Sony also run Polyphony, which is rumoured to be expanding out from beyond GT for the first time in over 20 years.

Sony Music Entertainment owns Aniplex, which handles the ridiculously successful Fate/Grand Order franchise on mobile amongst others. This is of course on top of its core Anime business and alliance with Funimation.

So to say that Sony isn't heavily invested in Japanese dev, is simply untrue.
On top of that Sony invested in more 2nd and 3rd party Japanese exclusives than Microsoft and Nintendo combined. And obviously they will continue doing so. And looking at what Jimbo recently said, they will have more than before.

That being said it's nice that they made a deal with Absobu, but it's no enough. They need to make deals with Japanese devs that goes beyond "Demo Exclusivity" thing or timed Exclusive stuffs.
Wtf are you saying? In PS4 they basically got at least one exclusive (yes, console exclusives and timed console exclusives count because it's a win/win for both) from basically every known Japanese console dev or publisher. Jimbo said in PS5 they will have more exclusives than ever, that PS5 is getting a strong support from Japanese devs and that they are working on making more deals.

Yet they chose to close Japan Studio, their most innovative studio of the bunch.

Although, I can't deny Sony has some of the best AAA games, but they certainly don't support innovation. Dreams, for example, has the potential to become the new Roblox, however they chose to not care about it and not support it properly enough.
Yes sequel city and remasters is innovative I guess. Jim and his guys can't leave soon enough. Yes remaster of the last of us instead of a new IP yep innovative. Waste a top end studio on a God damn remaster of a ps3 game.
They didn't close Japan Studio. And every year and every generation they publish more new IPs and have more experimental videogme exclusives than Microsoft and Nintendo combined, or than any other big console publisher. And they are the ones who make more money and the ones who win more GOTYs, so their strategy must be ok I think.

Playstation needs an In house Western RPG studio or 2. Money hatting Jrpgs is fine for now but id prefer if they had one of those in house as well.
Why? Most popular console WRPG and JRPG already are on PlayStation, it's by far the console where they sell the most and many of them alredy have some kind of exclusivity. They don't need to make their own ones. The existing ones already do the job for them.

Jade Raymond game: Her only solid background is AC1(2007) because she was affiliated with this masterpiece done by Patrick Desilet , Heu... no comment
Seems you have no fucking idea of Jade Raymond's CV. He made more AC games without him, built from scratch and lead the 2nd biggest Ubisoft studio and with her as boss worked on many games like Splinter Cell Blacklist, Watchdogs, The Division, Rainbow Six Siege and many more. He went to EA to create and lead another studio that did work on games like Battlefront II and Star Wars Squadrons. Google hired her as VP to build and lead their internal studios.

In all this time Desilet made a game about monkeys nobody cared about.

Last edited:

SSfox

No i'm not, go back and count how many Mario and Pokemon games were release compare to GOW and Uncharted games in the same period

Zeroing

Banned
He was the guy who gave Kojima the Guerilla devs tool, the engine . So I assume he is behind the funding of games from 3rd party studios

He was head of the Guerilla studio , I think he has a clear idea of how hard it is for the smaller studios to have freedom, be ambitious and how making something different can mean for a studio to stay relevant.

We already seeing his influence on Housemarque, making an ambitious game considering their previous games....

tenor.gif

Enjoy that Crow.

Take the loss and move on bud.
It's not about winning or losing mate. I was actually interested in what you would come up with and you did not disappoint!😁

I think the fact you had to bring up syphon filter a ps2 franchise suggests you have an agenda to keep up.

Anyway I asked for 3rd person so in no universe can you count resistance and killzone. I will give you the last of us part 2 because you're clearly working really hard on this list so you're at 16.

Keep going I am I gonna see ps1 titles next 🤩 maybe if you include vita games you can get to 30! I am sure I will get funny gif!

yurinka

This is from an interesting article about this idea.

qg38rcS.jpg
Most of these super successful Q4 3rd party AAA games have PlayStation as the platform where they sell more. This means the 30% of their game sales+DLC+IAP revenue goes to Sony, plus related console sales and PS Plus revenue to play them online.

Sony gets a shit ton of money from Call of Duty, GTA, Fortnite, Battlefield, FIFA, AC and so on every year. So doesn't make sense to compete against them directly. It's better for Sony to keep them happy and support them with marketing deals and get related stuff with them like bundles or some small timed exclusive dlcs to keep them in their side making sure they don't sign some kind of exclusivity with MS.

Looking at 1st party AAA Sony game sales, not releasing in Q4 did work better for them. Releasing in spring or summer they have less important direct competition during these months, and since 3rd partys mostly fill Q4 and Q1 with a ton of great releases, if Sony focuses on Q2 and Q3 helps them to complete the year, making sure every few weeks there's some important release on their console. So there's positive buzz across all the year generating a more positive brand image.

He was the guy who gave Kojima the Guerilla devs tool, the engine . So I assume he is behind the funding of games from 3rd party studios

He was head of the Guerilla studio , I think he has a clear idea of how hard it is for the smaller studios to have freedom, be ambitious and how making something different can mean for a studio to stay relevant.

We already seeing his influence on Housemarque, making an ambitious game considering their previous games....
He was promoted from being the Guerrilla boss to be the boss of PlayStation Studios, so the games published by Sony. This means he's in charge of 1st party (ND, Bend, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch...) and 2nd party games (Kojipro, Housemarque, Bluepoint, From Soft...).

Regarding 3rd party published games, Shuhei Yoshida is in charge of the indies making sure they come to PlayStation, signing deals, etc. As we saw in the leaked RE8 marketing deal contract, Jim Ryan is the one who signs these AAA 3rd party deals as CEO, but very likely there is a team with other guys (not Hermen, Shu, Jimbo) working on these deals.

Last edited:
It's not about winning or losing mate. I was actually interested in what you would come up with and you did not disappoint!😁

I think the fact you had to bring up syphon filter a ps2 franchise suggests you have an agenda to keep up.

Anyway I asked for 3rd person so in no universe can you count resistance and killzone. I will give you the last of us part 2 because you're clearly working really hard on this list so you're at 16.

Keep going I am I gonna see ps1 titles next 🤩 maybe if you include vita games you can get to 30! I am sure I will get funny gif!
No. Go back and read YOUR post. What you asked for was 24 generic American-hero action games. I gave you that. I don't have an agenda. My point before you tried to throw yourself into the conversation was that the Sony Jerk-Session that the poster I was talking to, was about how Sony doesn't do nearly the innovation and risky strategies as he was implying. Not nearly as much as I'd love to see. I've owned every Playstation released. I LOVE the Playstation, I'd just love to see them move away from their really bog-standard generic games. Move back to the PS2-era of crazy off the wall unique shit. That poster and I got into a spat because he said that no major console maker BESIDES Sony does anything risky and unique which just plain isn't true ESPECIALLY when you think about Nintendo. Nintendo does crazy unique shit constantly and that poster for whatever reason just wouldn't admit it.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Hopefully that means that they are open to new and unique Japanese games too....

It is rather strange of Sony to double down on Anime in general while getting rid of all the talent that brought us Gravity Rush (which I think would have made a great anime).

There is a problem with vision and thinking outside the box at Sony.... they should have made GR into an anime and then re-released the games with more accessible controls and sharper graphics etc.
They should also be looking at Sega cause Bayonetta, Yakuza and Persona would also fit into the anime space really nicely, while Sonic is doing great in film.

Sony have so much untapped potential, it's sad to see them struggle to unlock it.

No. Go back and read YOUR post. What you asked for was 24 generic American-hero action games. I gave you that. I don't have an agenda. My point before you tried to throw yourself into the conversation was that the Sony Jerk-Session that the poster I was talking to, was about how Sony doesn't do nearly the innovation and risky strategies as he was implying. Not nearly as much as I'd love to see. I've owned every Playstation released. I LOVE the Playstation, I'd just love to see them move away from their really bog-standard generic games. Move back to the PS2-era of crazy off the wall unique shit. That poster and I got into a spat because he said that no major console maker BESIDES Sony does anything risky and unique which just plain isn't true ESPECIALLY when you think about Nintendo. Nintendo does crazy unique shit constantly and that poster for whatever reason just wouldn't admit it.

Oh...I had really thought I had said 3rd person in my original post.:messenger_sleeping: Sorry dude I will happily take the L on this one.

To be clear I felt your original quote ''For every one Ghost of Tsushima we'll get 24 3rd-person generic American Hero-action game'' was a really big strawman but whatever.

To your post above Sony's in house first party obviously are not making games like they were in the ps1-ps2 era however would you agree/disagree that they are supporting smaller 3rd parties to fill that gap? I personally thought the PS5 showcase and their state of play's have a good variety of games.

I personally like the fact that they are spending a lot of money on big games including new ips. They are in the unique position to be able to do this where as the quirky ps1- ps2 titles of yesteryear can be made by many other devs

yurinka

Hopefully that means that they are open to new and unique Japanese games too....

It is rather strange of Sony to double down on Anime in general while getting rid of all the talent that brought us Gravity Rush (which I think would have made a great anime).

There is a problem with vision and thinking outside the box at Sony.... they should have made GR into an anime and then re-released the games with more accessible controls and sharper graphics etc.
They should also be looking at Sega cause Bayonetta, Yakuza and Persona would also fit into the anime space really nicely, while Sonic is doing great in film.

Sony have so much untapped potential, it's sad to see them struggle to unlock it.
Basically every known big and small 3rd party Japanese publisher or dev studio had some PS4 exclusive.

Jimbo recently said they will have more exclusives on PS5 than they ever had before, and that support from Japanese devs started strong but they are working to create stronger bonds with them to get more games appealing to the Japanese market.

As PS5 continues to dominate as did it until now and as PS4 did before it, Japanese exclusives (and multis) will keep coming on big number.

Until now they sold over 1500 million games worldwide for PS4 and are making more money nobody else did before. So no, they aren't struggling.

Japan is only relevant for Nintendo and specially mobile. For mostly all the other companies the huge majority of the console market are the western countries. So both Sony and the other Japanese companies have to make their games focusing on a global appeal. Japanese game will/are mostly bought by western fans of Japanese games.

Regarding possible synergies with anime both using game or anime IPs, it's something Sony may be interested on, because they have their anime apps and also got their deal with Kadokawa for both anime and games.

K' Dash

"and that's why we're glad to announce: Post apocalyptic in the woods and city daddy issues walking simulator 42069"

Keihart

No i'm not, go back and count how many Mario and Pokemon games were release compare to GOW and Uncharted games in the same period
Let's be fair, Nintendo milks the IP and not the game. The amount of marios that don't play like the first mario is staggering. Same goes for Zelda changing the structure of what that adventure is every generation almost.
I surely wish that Sony was that confident in their IPs to do so much, were the fuck is Unkarted?
At least GoW got a makeover last gen, i think that was their best use of an IP in generations.

Edit: Also, fuck Nintendo's remasterports, most often than not they'll be overpriced and underdeveloped. That's them milking the games instead of suffering from sequelitys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom