• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst (Head of Playstation Studios) :"We're commited to experimentation and to coming up with fresh ideas."

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I think this was is a direct answer to all those who were saying crap like "Sony only cares for big AAA games" or that they don't want diversity in their Playstation studios.
Anyone who has been paying attention to the games we have seen in the last few years can easily see the diversity and risks taken by Sony: Dreams, Concrete Genie, Death Stranding, Little Devil Inside, Stray, Jett, Godfall, Destruction All Stars, Oddworld, Tribes of Midgard, Returnal, Astrobot, Sackboy, etc.

Sony is just powering and supporting indie developers to make these games for the PlayStation platform, instead of going head to head as their competitor by making smaller games in their own studios. Which is not only smart but also commendable.

Last edited:
please oh wise one give us a comparative of other first party console maker taking risk. In Fact plesse even show me a first party game release in last 8+ months. did you copy and paste all that from twitter? lol
giphy.gif

Love em' or hate em' can't deny they don't take risks. More than the other big two combined.

Last edited:
Animal Crossing is risky?

Yeah and so is Pokemon lmao
You see a whole lot of crazy home simulators with a Mob Boss Racoon Mayors getting released do ya? How many 3rd person action/First Person shooters get released on the Playstation? Pokemon'? Lol, how many "risky" God of Wars are there? How many "risky" Gran Turismo's have we got? Or Jak and Daxter's or Ratchet and Clanks? For every one Ghost of Tsushima we'll get 24 3rd-person generic American Hero-action game.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
please oh wise one give us a comparative of other first party console maker taking risk. In Fact plesse even show me a first party game release in last 8+ months. did you copy and paste all that from twitter? lol
No one else was making this statement that in the past was very true. I don't see it now with Sony all in on AAA block buster follow ups and remasters. A few timeed exclusive don't mean much when you look at thier rich past of diversity. Sony's past was very awesome for variety in games.

kyoji

I swear diehard xbox fans are the worse, people complain about people who enjoy playstation but i dont see half the amount wasting there time trying to come up with useless dribble, or downplaying shit, ignoring facts etc. kinda wild tbh. Cant even have a conversation because of the little dog complex with most of them, not all but it dam sure feels like a lot.

HeresJohnny

I don't really doubt the creative ability of Sony's studios... I mean, their output speaks for itself. However, I do question the motives and strategies of the company itself, which seems to be making questionable to poor decisions lately.

I swear diehard xbox fans are the worse, people complain about people who enjoy playstation but i dont see half the amount wasting there time trying to come up with useless dribble, or downplaying shit, ignoring facts etc. kinda wild tbh. Cant even have a conversation because of the little dog complex with most of them, not all but it dam sure feels like a lot.
giphy.gif

No one else was making this statement that in the past was very true. I don't see it now with Sony all in on AAA block buster follow ups and remasters. A few timeed exclusive don't mean much when you look at thier rich past of diversity. Sony's past was very awesome for variety in games.

Nah they're still doing risks and even more so. Investing a shit ton of money in new AAA IP like Days Gone, Horizon, Death Stranding and Returnal is someting none of the others do

I'll say Microsoft is definitlley up there now with the inclusion of gamepass and growing their new studios. Hoping to see AAA projects from Complusion as I loved We Happy Few. Really excited about Xbox 2022 and beyond

Nintendo is the weakest link as far as i'm concerned. They've only survived thanks to their legacy.

Last edited:
Nah they're still doing risks and even more so. Investing a shit ton of money in new AAA IP like Days Gone, Horizon, Death Stranding and Returnal is someting none of the others do

I'll say Microsoft is definitlley up there now with the inclusion of gamepass and growing their new studios. Hoping to see AAA projects from Complusion as I loved We Happy Few

Nintendo is the weakest link as far as i'm concerned. They've only survived thanks to their legacy.
I get you feel this way, but the numbers just don't support your feelings. As far as risky, they've easily done the most over the last 25 years or so. N64 with it's analog control, DS, then glasses free 3D, then the Wii, then the Wii U(which failed miserably) and now the Switch. There's a reason that Sony/MSFT let Nintendo do the innovations in hardware before they dip their toes in, Gyro, Kinect, Move, etc. Again, love em' or hate em' you can't deny they don't take risks and buck trends.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT

I'll say Microsoft is definitlley up there now with the inclusion of gamepass and growing their new studios. Hoping to see AAA projects from Complusion as I loved We Happy Few

All in the past again here is the future. God of War, gt 7, Horizon 2, ghosts of Tsushima, ratchet and clank, Spiderman 2, last of us of us remaster ect.

kyliethicc

Anyone who has been paying attention to the games we have seen in the last few years can easily see the diversity and risks taken by Sony: Dreams, Concrete Genie, Death Stranding, Little Devil Inside, Stray, Jett, Godfall, Destruction All Stars, Oddworld, Tribes of Midgard, Returnal, Astrobot, Sackboy, etc.

Sony is just powering and supporting indie developers to make these games for the PlayStation platform, instead of going head to head as their competitor by making smaller games in their own studios. Which is not only smart but also commendable.
This is from an interesting article about this idea.

qg38rcS.jpg

All in the past again here is the future. God of War, gt 7, Horizon 2, ghosts of Tsushima, ratchet and clank, Spiderman 2, last of us of us remaster ect.

Even if you exclude PS4 gen they still put out Demon's Souls, All Stars and we're getting Returnal next week.

Of course we're going to see sequels form successess, that's just how Sony has rolled since the PS1 days, but GG isn't going to be just churning out Horizon games. They'll have other projects and will move on with a new IP same with Naughty Dog

And we'll see VR projects too

I get you feel this way, but the numbers just don't support your feelings. As far as risky, they've easily done the most over the last 25 years or so. N64 with it's analog control, DS, then glasses free 3D, then the Wii, then the Wii U(which failed miserably) and now the Switch. There's a reason that Sony/MSFT let Nintendo do the innovations in hardware before they dip their toes in, Gyro, Kinect, Move, etc. Again, love em' or hate em' you can't deny they don't take risks and buck trends.

I agree Nintendo was a risk taker 25 years ago. But that was 25 years ago. The nintendo of today is not.

Last edited:

Banned
I can't wait how many fresh jdeas they can pack into third person shooter with stealth elements sitting in a bush with a bow and arrow!

Gediminas

Banned
Yeah, their action are quite opposite on their saying.

"We're commited to experimentation and to coming up with fresh ideas."​

no, they are doing what they are saying, PS games on PC, mobile, also many games will come up with or just multiplayer. basically those two retards doing everything what PS is not :)

I agree Nintendo was a risk taker 25 years ago. But that was 25 years ago. The nintendo of today is not.
I guess you just don't like looking at the facts. First to do analog as a standard, first to do motion control, dual-screen and 3d shit, the Wii U, the Switch. All innovation and/or incredible risk. Hell they're first open-world game they ever made, they bucked almost all of the common trends that's been set from both 3rd-party and MSFT/Sony games. That's not even counting the many MANY software examples you could point to(Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario Maker, etc). Say what you will about the quality of some of those games or that you may not like ANY of them, but they innovate and create new shit constantly. I'm not even some huge Nintendo fan, but you seem to prefer to ignore/twist the facts to support whatever narrative you have built in your head that Sony is some great 'innovator'.

I love all the consoles, play mostly on my PC, but we don't need to lie or put our heads in the sand and not give credit where it's due.

Last edited:
I guess you just don't like looking at the facts. First to do analog as a standard, first to do motion control, dual-screen and 3d shit, the Wii U, the Switch. All innovation and/or incredible risk. Hell they're first open-world game they ever made, they bucked almost all of the common trends that's been set from both 3rd-party and MSFT/Sony games. That's not even counting the many MANY software examples you could point to(Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario Maker, etc). Say what you will about the quality of some of those games or that you may not like ANY of them, but they innovate and create new shit constantly. I'm not even some huge Nintendo fan, but you seem to prefer to ignore/twist the facts to support whatever narrative you have built in your head that Sony is some great 'innovator'.

I love all the consoles, play mostly on my PC, but we don't need to lie or put our heads in the sand and not give credit where it's due.

You keep talking about Nintendo of the past which proves my point

And Sony already had motion controls in the sixaxis, same time as the Wii

Please don't give me a list of mario games as risk taking lmao

Thirty7ven

Banned
Being a great football player doesn't''t necessarily guarantee you'll be a great football Coach.

Using your analogy, Herman was a successful club manager, who was promoted to help manage multiple clubs that belong to the same owner. It’s not a football players -> coach type of transition in the slightest.

SSfox

Using your analogy, Herman was a successful club manager, who was promoted to help manage multiple clubs that belong to the same owner. It’s not a football players -> coach type of transition in the slightest.
Being head of a gaming studio isn't totally same as being head of Sony World Wide studios, he was great as Guerrilla Director, but he has yet a LOT to proof as a Sony WW president.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Being head of a gaming studio isn't totally same as being head of Sony World Wide studios, he was great as Guerrilla Director, but he has yet a LOT to proof as a Sony WW president.

Managing director. It’s the same role, but at a higher level. He has proven he can successfully manage a studio, grow it, and pivot a studio from an established franchise to a new one that has little in common with the previous one. He can fail as head of WWS but his career shows he fits the criteria.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A lot of people don’t understand this, no matter how you frame it.

Because it's not really accurate.

There are pros and cons to focusing on single player games as a first party publisher.

The article or author talks about the pros, but ignores the cons. First party publishers can't afford to ignore the drawbacks.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Because it's not really accurate.

There are pros and cons to focusing on single player games as a first party publisher.

The article or author talks about the pros, but ignores the cons. First party publishers can't afford to ignore the drawbacks.

The point is that first party should take risks and address the gaps in the catalog available on the platform. This isn’t about single player games.

There’s literally no point in making a military FPS like COD or Battlefield when those already exist and are as huge as they are.

jaysius

Banned
Someone has to innovate in the gaming development field, so many genres are becoming meh from being overused and just filled with microtransactions. Big AAA companies are too bogged down because they can’t make a game that doesn’t sell less than the last.

I‘d like to see a new genre, it takes risk and a ton of money.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The point is that first party should take risks and address the gaps in the catalog available on the platform. This isn’t about single player games.

There’s literally no point in making a military FPS like COD or Battlefield when those already exist and are as huge as they are.

That I can agree with, but I think the post you quoted was referring to Sony's AAA single player strategy of yore.

Does anyone really think Sony should make a Call of Duty clone or a Battlefield clone? I've not heard many (any?) people clamoring for that. I have heard tons of people saying Sony should focus on single player and let third parties / Microsoft take the multiplayer space. That's not smart.

GeorgPrime

Banned

I think this was is a direct answer to all those who were saying crap like "Sony only cares for big AAA games" or that they don't want diversity in their Playstation studios.

here is a fresh idea for you:

"Legend of Dragoon Remake" + "Legend of Dragoon Sequel"

Bet nobody thinks about that at your place.

That I can agree with, but I think the post you quoted was referring to Sony's AAA single player strategy of yore.

Does anyone really think Sony should make a Call of Duty clone or a Battlefield clone? I've not heard many (any?) people clamoring for that. I have heard tons of people saying Sony should focus on single player and let third parties / Microsoft take the multiplayer space. That's not smart.

I want to see them tackle more multiplayer stuff in VR. Firewall Zero Hour was amazing

A full fledged Resistance game by insomniac as a PSVR 2 launch game

ppVfqdh.gif

vivftp

It makes perfect sense for Sony to make sequels to existing successful IP. Only a moron would say to themselves, "well we've spent several years and tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to take a chance and build this new IP that's turned out to be very successful... now let's throw that all away and build something completely new just for the sake of it!". That makes no sense.

Regarding the subject of new IP and your apparent feeling that they won't be doing that, please remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Just because they haven't openly talked about big new IP to come doesn't mean they're not going to be doing it. Within the past year we've seen new IP like Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, Destruction All-Stars, Iron Man VR and Returnal. We don't know a great deal about future IP yet because we only have a small window into their future plans but so far this is what we know or is rumored:

- New IP with Haven studios
- New multiplayer IP with Firewalk Studios
- Cory Barlog is rumored to have a second team at Santa Monica Studios working on a new IP
- Naughty Dog are in pre-production for their next big project, which could either be a new IP or TLOU3, we don't know yet. This is why they've got the bulk of their workforce working on Factions 2 and TLOU Remake, because all of those people aren't needed during the pre-production phase of their next big project. It allows them to keep their employees busy and employed during this transition period
- Bend studio is rumored to be working on a new IP as per Jason Schreier
- Remedy is rumored to be working on an exclusive for Sony, so there's a high chance that's a new IP
- Guerrilla are rumored to have a second team working on a multiplayer based project. We don't yet know if this is a new IP, or a MP mode for Horizon Forbidden West or a revival of an old IP like SOCOM.

That's just a tiny window into what they are and what they could be working on and there's a lot of new IP involved in just that tiny window. There are likely plenty of additional partnerships that we have no clue about yet. This doesn't even take into consideration all the new VR IP we're likely to see next year with the release of PSVR2. So no, we're not just going to get sequels and remasters. Be patient and let them show us what they're working on in their own time.

Edit. Oh and Housemarque may have another game in the works for Sony going by a job posting that was shared by an XDEV rep. Also Arrowhead are rumored to be working on a new AAA game for Sony that could be a new IP. Supermassive had previously stated they had a few exclusives for PlayStation in the works, but we don't know if that's still a thing or not.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Yeah. I don't know him personally, but he and his team at Guerilla were "typecast" with Killzone titles for many years. Hat's off to them. They endured, strived and conquered in the end. I'm hard pressed to find a better replacement for Hermen. Remember; His job isn't to please US, the gamers/fans, but rather ensuring that PS can still continue to deliver.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Good.

Thats why they dont need to make Days Gone 2 atm and have every studio making sequels...

We already have Ghost of Tsushuma 2, God of War Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, Horizon 2 Being made etc. Some new games or classic IP’s being brought back would be awesome
I agree and Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon are still fresh IPs it's not like they're long in the tooth franchises

You see a whole lot of crazy home simulators with a Mob Boss Racoon Mayors getting released do ya? How many 3rd person action/First Person shooters get released on the Playstation? Pokemon'? Lol, how many "risky" God of Wars are there? How many "risky" Gran Turismo's have we got? Or Jak and Daxter's or Ratchet and Clanks? For every one Ghost of Tsushima we'll get 24 3rd-person generic American Hero-action game.
Please name 24 generic American hero-action games published by Sony👍

giphy.gif

Sigh...

6 Syphon Filter Games
5 Resistance Games
3 Infamous Games
4 Uncharted Games
2 Last of Us Games
1 Death Stranding Game
4 Killzone Games

You want to add those up or should I?
Lol that's a bit of a goal post shift mate. Firstly you said 3rd person so I guess we can't count resistance or killzone!

Secondly you said hero implying male so we can't count last of us part 2. Infamous second son had a native American as a lead but I guess he's still American so I can give you him.

So out of the games we have left. only 3 of them were released on the ps4😅. (How on earth did you forgot about days gone by the way)

What about the other half of your comment? For every GOT theres 24 etc etc. If you're gonna bring up dead franchises like syphon filter can I bring up Sony's dozens of weird quirky franchises from ps1 ps2 era and we will see how the maths plays out 🤪

Lol that's a bit of a goal post shift mate. Firstly you said 3rd person so I guess we can't count resistance or killzone!

Secondly you said hero implying male so we can't count last of us part 2. Infamous second son had a native American as a lead but I guess he's still American so I can give you him.

So out of the games we have left. only 3 of them were released on the ps4😅. (How on earth did you forgot about days gone by the way)

What about the other half of your comment? For every GOT theres 24 etc etc. If you're gonna bring up dead franchises like syphon filter can I bring up Sony's dozens of weird quirky franchises from ps1 ps2 era and we will see how the maths plays out 🤪
tenor.gif

Enjoy that Crow.

Take the loss and move on bud.

Top Bottom