• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are the best and worst states for surviving a zombie apocalypse

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
More than 1 in 10 Americas believe there will be a zombie apocalypse one day, according to a new survey.

Do you live in a state that is most likely to survive it?

With the recent success of HBO‘s “The Last of Us,” insurance marketplace Insuranks surveyed more than 1,000 US citizens about zombies and what they might do in case of a terrifying undead apocalypse.

They also analyzed more than 1,000 Google searches to determine where each state lands on zombie apocalypse preparedness.

According to the survey, Wyoming is the readiest to take on the walking dead.

The organization said states that aren’t heavily populated and have lots of open spaces are best because you could live off of the land, stockpile weapons and avoid other people.

This state is the most likely to survive a zombie apocalypse
Wyoming is the most prepared for a zombie apocalypse, while California is the least ready.

The Last of UsPedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey star in “The Last of Us” on HBO.

Alaska is your next best bet, according to Insuranks. Similar to Wyoming, the open landscape can help you dodge zombies — you just may need to avoid bears and moose, too.

Vermont, North Dakota and South Dakota round out the top five states most prepared for a zombie takeover.

Meanwhile, Californians might be a little too chill about a potential attack: The Golden State ranks last on the list.

People in cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco can either rely on good luck or start getting prepared now because heavily populated places are sure to get targeted by infected bodies.

Alex Sgambati portrays Jules in AMC's The Walking Dead. Survey participants weighed in on the accuracy of the series.
Alex Sgambati portrays Jules in AMC’s “The Walking Dead.” Survey participants weighed in on the accuracy of the series.Jace Downs/AMC

This state is the most likely to survive a zombie apocalypse
Fifty-three percent of survey participants claimed they know how to kill a zombie.

Texas, Florida, New York and Pennsylvania are also not ready to defend themselves against the living dead and round out the top five least prepared states.

Unfortunately, if the sci-fi event really does happen, survey participants believe a zombie outbreak would most likely happen in California, Florida, New York, Texas and Georgia (which ranks #43, just ahead of Illinois).

Nearly 25% of Americans reportedly don’t find it weird to prepare for a zombie apocalypse, and more than 1 in 10 already have food stockpiled for one.

New map shows best places to survive zombies like in 'The Last of Us'
Shotguns would be Americans’ “go-to” weapons when defending themselves against zombies.

As for weapons to use when fighting off zombies, participants apparently thought about that already, too.

The No. 1 weapon they chose to defend themselves was a shotgun, followed by a handgun, baseball bat, machete, crossbow, sword, axe, knife, grenade and katana (Japanese sword).

New map shows best places to survive zombies like in 'The Last of Us'“The Walking Dead” was determined to be the most accurate portrayal of zombies in TV or movies.

Survey participants also ranked the Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey-fronted series last on a list of TV shows and movies that “accurately portrayed” zombies.

“The Walking Dead,” however, was deemed the most accurate zombie portrayal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meanwhile, Californians might be a little too chill about a potential attack: The Golden State ranks last on the list.

People in cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco can either rely on good luck or start getting prepared now because heavily populated places are sure to get targeted by infected bodies.
I thought zombies were already there? :unsure:

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Glad to see Texas at the bottom of the list. Lots of guns don't mean anything if you have no drinking water or renewable energy to start anew. Most of Texas has wind power that requires lots of maintenance and infrastructure to work plus they have failed miserably with their grid the last few winters.

Gotta disagree with Alaska at #2. I'd put them near Texas in terms of not being able to survive a zombie attack. Lots of survivalists but there's also lots of survivalists. Unless you know what you're doing you won't survive in Alaska long. Like Texas there's too many wahoos who would be dangerous to be near.

And finally... Fuck World War z the movie. Stop showing me families in zombie shows/movies. World War z is not only a shitty movie it bastarfized one of the greatest books on zombies ever written by max Brooks.
81+DfLCMiqL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Laieon

As someone who unfortunately lives in and grew up in the shithole that is Texas, this doesn't surprise me. This place was traumatized after a mild winter storm and our cops were too chickenshit to save elementary school kids. Texas talks a big talk but absolutely never lives up to its hype.

Cruz would flee to some safer state, Abbott would go hole up in some rich donors' bunker, Ol' gambling addict Mattress Mac would let the zombies crash at his place because he looks like one and fits right in, and Osteen would only let people in to his church after they buy a book he wrote about how god can protect you from zombies before revealing that, in fact, is a zombie himself.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Of course there’s crossbows and katanas in the top 10 weapons list. Code Veronica and Oneechanbara are such great manuals of survival tips in case of a zombie outbreak. I imagine the people who voted those weapons also expect to put food in a box in one city and magically find it in an identical box in the next city if they have to flee.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Of course there’s crossbows and katanas in the top 10 weapons list.

I'd use a chainsaw while butt naked. I know it'd be the equivalent of ringing the dinner bell, but carving up the zombies would be so, so satisfying.

After the fuel runs out, I'd probably use a morning star until I just couldn't kill anymore and become a zombie lunch.

What a way to leave the world.

EDIT: I thought this was an opinion thread asking about the best and worst states. I didn't even read the opening post with the statistics lol. But I was right about Wyoming, Vermont and Texas, the rural landscape is a big plus when it comes to pandemics.

Worst:

California
1920px-Flag_of_California.svg.png

People are either fucking each other or too worthless to tie their own shoelaces. The crazy drivers don't help things either, neither does the lack of rain.

Texas
1920px-Flag_of_Texas.svg.png

You would think one of the biggest states in would be a good place to make camp right? Wrong, there are too many people and they're all packing heat, also, fuck the Cowboys.

Best:

Wyoming
1280px-Flag_of_Wyoming.svg.png

Most people (including those who live there) can't find it on a map. Nothing but rural landscapes and enough space to not be bothered. It's a prepper's wet dream.

Washington
1920px-Flag_of_Washington.svg.png

It's at the ass-end of nowhere and nobody is going to trek over there. The cold could be a disadvantage, but if things get too heavy then why not hop the border to Canada eh?

Vermont
1920px-Flag_of_Vermont.svg.png

I'm not sure whether or not this is true, but I hear there are tonnes of gay people living in Vermont? If that's the case then it's the last place trouble would brew, and they'd easily get wiped out due to the zomboids.

Michigan
1920px-Flag_of_Michigan.svg.png

Zombies can't swim right? Michigan has a huge lake on it's doorstep so moving by boat could be a last resort. Just stay away from Detroit and those $1 homes.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I find it weird that people think they will survive a zombie apocalypse, considering the whole point of the zombie apocalypse is that like 98% of people become zombies and die.

Your odds are not good.

Dark Star

i would probably be very comfortable living in the top 10 best states, even now before a zombie apocalypse

i just imagine having a lot of open land to myself and nobody bothering me

Last edited:

Doom85

I find it weird that people think they will survive a zombie apocalypse, considering the whole point of the zombie apocalypse is that like 98% of people become zombies and die.

Your odds are not good.

Average American: “I’ll survive! I’ve got guns which automatically makes me invincible!”
(shoots a zombie; every single zombie with hearing distance of the area that is much quieter than it was pre-apocalypse is now heading in said American’s direction)
Average American:

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

Artoris

Gold Member
When you are preparing for zombie apocalypse, you are really preparing for the nuclear apocalypse knowingly or not

Your odds are not good.
That's why the best place to be in case of a zombie apocalypse is an offshore oil drilling platform

Last edited:

Lasha

When asked by prepper friends where I'm going to get supplies from if I don't prep my answer is always "from people like you". Most preppers have never truly lived without. Practically none have ever spent time away from others with no police or rescue team to call on the satphone. All the equipment in the world isn't going to prepare you for people trying to take whats yours.

Smiggs

When asked by prepper friends where I'm going to get supplies from if I don't prep my answer is always "from people like you". Most preppers have never truly lived without. Practically none have ever spent time away from others with no police or rescue team to call on the satphone. All the equipment in the world isn't going to prepare you for people trying to take whats yours.
A friend of mine worked with some paranoid nutjob years back, and the dude always carried a trash bag full of supplies literally everywhere he went. They did contracting work, and he would take it to every jobsite. One day, a few of the guys hid his trash bag to mess with him, and the guy basically had a panic attack and refused to do anything until the bag was returned. He was pleading with my buddy at one point, and asked him "well what would you do if there's a zombie outbreak, or society collapses?"

My buddy looked him in the face, and told him in that all seriousness, the first thing he would do is shoot him in the head and take his shit. Evidently, he started leaving his bag in his truck after that incident. :ROFLMAO:
The real threat in a zombie apocalypse isn't the zombies, it's the damn people that survive.
(By the way, I work with this crazy dude's dad, and he is super paranoid, too).

Top Bottom