• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me understand this Microsoft Flight Simulator ad

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So, this is mostly for personal curiosity.

Microsoft just released this Microsoft Flight Simulator ad. It isn't even in their Xbox channel. It's directly in their Microsoft corporate channel.

I wanna understand, to people who don't do flight simulators (which I imagine this may be targeted at) does it look as dumb and unappealing as it does to me?

Couple of choice parts that make me particularly cringe.

"one of my favorite parts of the marketplace is that I can buy stuff" (yes, I'm paraphrasing, but that's basically what it says)🤯

or

"fun fact, real-life pilots sometimes use this controller setup to train themselves" *points to super-basic Thrustmaster T.Flight*
No dude... I promise you they don't.

Are the two dudes celebrities or something?

Help me understand this? 🤔

ZoukGalaxy

Guys are high without flying.

Toking Mash Up GIF

That's the explanation.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
First line in the first paragraph of their website:
"As Black students in the STEM community..."
STEM is known for having few black students. Whatever the reasons for that may be, it's not a negative to mention that these guys are both black and STEM students. One of the often said things is that people need to see something relatable in order that they can see themselves doing the same.

It's a positive to encourage people to be the best they can be, and for some that might mean studying subjects which they may not have automatically considered as being something people from their background might excel at.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
STEM is known for having few black students. Whatever the reasons for that may be, it's not a negative to mention that these guys are both black and STEM students. One of the often said things is that people need to see something relatable in order that they can see themselves doing the same.

It's a positive to encourage people to be the best they can be, and for some that might mean studying subjects which they may not have automatically considered as being something people from their background might excel at.

Black people make up approximately 12% of the workforce in the U.S., and they make up approximately 9% of STEM students. I don't consider that to be a wide margin by any stretch of the imagination.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I really don't think there's any need to make this about race.

I was simply wondering whether people not dedicated to flight simulation or more casual users would find this kind of message attractive, because as a dedicated flight simmer, it really turned me off.

The identity of the two dudes involved is irrelevant, personally, besides wondering whether they were celebrities and that helped get the message (whatever message it is) across.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Black people make up approximately 12% of the workforce in the U.S., and they make up approximately 9% of STEM students. I don't consider that to be a wide margin by any stretch of the imagination.
You may not think it is significant but it means that black people are underrepresented in STEM subjects. There has been a sustained effort to try and rebalance that. Totally fine to mention it, no need to get triggered by it.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is clearly the first time these guys even heard about ms flight simulator, and they clearly don't care.

Last edited:

Outlier

OMG, not them again, they were so cringe in the win11 ads

I don't blame them. They're nerds looking for a easier way to success. Exposure can be a catapult.
As much as I hate them using 1 half their race for attention, I can understand playing as many angles to benefit themselves. I just think is slimy.

Brucey

So, this is mostly for personal curiosity.

Microsoft just released this Microsoft Flight Simulator ad. It isn't even in their Xbox channel. It's directly in their Microsoft corporate channel.

I wanna understand, to people who don't do flight simulators (which I imagine this may be targeted at) does it look as dumb and unappealing as it does to me?

Couple of choice parts that make me particularly cringe.

"one of my favorite parts of the marketplace is that I can buy stuff" (yes, I'm paraphrasing, but that's basically what it says)🤯

or

"fun fact, real-life pilots sometimes use this controller setup to train themselves" *points to super-basic Thrustmaster T.Flight*
No dude... I promise you they don't.

Are the two dudes celebrities or something?

Help me understand this? 🤔

It seemed super depressing really. Throwing out a bunch of stats, showing how you can spend more to buy additional content, using a surface laptop and a basic flight controller, it anything it made me not want to try it. Surprised they didn't throw in an "it's available on gamepass for pc right now".

Top Bottom