• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me make the right decision…

Should i order an XSX?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Definitely you should get one. It's a great well-built system, dead silent with excellent features like quick resume, VRR, excellent back compatibility which allows you play all the Bethesda games from the 360 era which are all on Game Pass. Using emulation, you can play more PlayStation 1& 2 games than the highest tier of PS+ :pie_grinning:

You shouldn't have any problem finding something to play if you decide to get Game Pass and do some emulation.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you have an open mind in terms of genres GP is killer for indie and AA games. MS 1st party has some sleeper hits like Dusk Falls and Pentiment. Forza and Halo out. Potentially Diablo IV next year along with Starfield and Wo Long

If you can afford it its pretty great. If you literally just want 1 or 2 games you could always look at Series S also.

Last edited:

saintjules

I have both. While I am currently not playing a ton of games, having both Consoles is the best of both worlds.

When you look at GamePass, there's a slew of games that you can have at will. Microsoft is steadily getting new games day 1 on GP. For instance, you see a game, "A Plague Tale" coming to the platform day 1. You're already in the GP ecosystem, so it's just a matter of downloading it.

As for PS5, it's still more so about the exclusives which is some people's reasons as to why they have one. Though, you have the choice on which 3rd party games you'd want to play when you own both Consoles.

Another good example of having both is if you check out an analysis to where a game performs better on one of the Consoles. You'd more than likely play on the platform that works out the best. Then again, if it's a multiplayer title and you have more Friends on Playstation versus Xbox, that may or may not impact your decision as to where to play. Good problem to have imo.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Definitely you should get one. It's a great well-built system, dead silent with excellent features like quick resume, VRR, excellent back compatibility which allows you play all the Bethesda games from the 360 era which are all on Game Pass. Using emulation, you can play more PlayStation 1& 2 games than the highest tier of PS+ :pie_grinning:

You shouldn't have any problem finding something to play if you decide to get Game Pass and do some emulation.

You forget to mention Microsoft rewards system.

Lone Wolf

Get the Series X and do the Xbox live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate trick. You’ll be set for 3 years. Lots of first party output will be coming starting early next year.

Markio128

On a serious note,
Blow Kisses Rockinbluesbbq GIF by Off The Jacks

SHA

It's pointless if you could easily get distracted by two or more consoles, if you could manage both practically speaking ,cause it's hard, then go for it , the cons aren't worth mentioning, don't let it get under your skin , the console by the way is a beast and has the capabilities to make you satisfied , don't second guess if you are certain.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I considered that too, but i fear i would just regret not spending a bit more for that extra graphics
Well just remember if you're doing GP add like $181 to the upfront cost. Its just worth it to save but its a lot up front. 3 years of Gold Live. Then converts to 3 yr GP for $1. So Series X is $700 up front but its a lot cheaper that way over time.

NeonDelta

Get it. I sold mine as I had ps5 and pc. But then I re bought one a few months later as I missed gamepass on the bed and quick resume. Plus my back catalogue of Xbox 360 and Xbox one games

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Get the Series X and do the Xbox live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate trick. You’ll be set for 3 years. Lots of first party output will be coming starting early next year.
This.

OP, also EA games are included with GP. They are always delayed about 9 months. But eventually they show up. So if you like older EA games they are all there. Although that dreadful BF 2042 isnt there yet (thankfully) lol

If you know a friend or fam member with the system and trust them. Do home sharing with them so you can both play a digitally bought game. Sub plans work too. Only one person needs t do it. You can cut your gaming and sub costs in half right there. Just make sure you dont mess up doing home sharing activation. I think you can only do it 3 times per year. I remember the first year we did it we kept messing up the emails and shit. But we got it to work and left it as is for 4 years.

I do it with a buddy. I do all the Gold and GP top up payments, we split game costs, and he'll cover the first game we agree play together to pay me back for doing the sub plan. We go back and forth on stuff as a whole, so we dont even bother paying each other for anything. We just call it a wash.

GP Ultimate also covers PC Game Pass. PC library has different games included.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Play GOW Ragnarok in two weeks. Consider either an XSX or XSS when Starfield actually comes out (assuming it’s good). The Xbox One exclusives that you missed out on are rather weak in my opinion, and I wouldn’t be in a rush to play them if I were you.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Take a look at the Game Pass catalog first. If it isn't terribly enticing for you, you may as well save your money and just game on your PS5 until Microsoft's many acquisitions begin bearing fruit.

sainraja

IF you can afford to get all systems, I see no reason not to get it. You might still have your preferences or you might notice that changing after getting the XSX. No harm in getting 'em all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As other have echoed.

If you don't have a gaming PC, then go for the SX.

And instead of spending money for games like Halo, get Game Pass. Or rather, get the cheapest Xbox Gold codes you can find and convert up-to 3 years worth of Gold to Game Pass for $1 only. You'll get Halo Infinite and a shit ton of other games on there.

edit:

If interested, here are the steps to get cheap 3 years game pass ultimate for approx $100.

---

1. Purchase [cdkeys.com] 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery).
2. Create [windscribe.com] Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension [windscribe.com].
3. Connect to Turkey on Windscribe VPN or using your own VPN service/app.
4. Redeem [microsoft.com] your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing.
You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
5. Disconnect VPN.
6. Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [xbox.com] by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1).

Don't enable auto renewal when asked.

When you're redeeming the Gold, you *MAY* get asked about getting an extra bonus month of Gold.

DENY THAT.

The reason is that it will fuck up the 36 month conversion, you can stack a max of 36 months.

Last edited:
i prefer Xbox. I was always a playstation person....but the last maybe 5 years has turned me into playing Xbox instead like 80% of the time. I buy playstation just for exclusives. Just like nintendo now.

That said. Xbox and Playstation have mostly the same games. So unless ur dying to play Halo or Starfield or Forza. OR u want to start buying backwards compatible games. Then i dont really see the use.

Topher

Gold Member
From my humble opinion. Don't buy the Series X.... Already with the ps5 is enough, and with that money save for a pc.
As other have echoed.

If you don't have a gaming PC, then go for the SX.

And instead of spending money for games like Halo, get Game Pass. Or rather, get the cheapest Xbox Gold codes you can find and convert up-to 3 years worth of Gold to Game Pass for $1 only. You'll get Halo Infinite and a shit ton of other games on there.

edit:

If interested, here are the steps to get cheap 3 years game pass ultimate for approx $100.

---

1. Purchase [cdkeys.com] 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery).
2. Create [windscribe.com] Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension [windscribe.com].
3. Connect to Turkey on Windscribe VPN or using your own VPN service/app.
4. Redeem [microsoft.com] your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing.
You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
5. Disconnect VPN.
6. Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [xbox.com] by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1).

Don't enable auto renewal when asked.

When you're redeeming the Gold, you *MAY* get asked about getting an extra bonus month of Gold.

DENY THAT.

The reason is that it will fuck up the 36 month conversion, you can stack a max of 36 months.

Nah...

Cookie Lyon GIF by Empire FOX

Follow this brilliant guide some devilishly handsome person created to use Microsoft Rewards and never pay for Game Pass at all.

Of course, you can always use....

Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I was in your situation and bought one. I shouldn't have.

But Im waiting for stuff like Perfect Dark and Avowed to drop, hopefully they are excellent so my mind changes. I havent turned it on in 5 months

sachos

Are you interested in the current catalog? You can also check some of the 360 and OG games in the BC catalog, you can find gems there like Dead Space series or Black for the OG.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

If you have the money for it, just do it! Doesn't matter if you have a gamer PC or will buy one on the future. It's good not to rely on a single ecosystem during an entire generation, so, you will be able to buy whatever game that will be launched on the future in the platform it runs the best, or the platform your friends are. In the worst case scenario, XBX will not be utilized, and then you can sell it, give it to a friend or relative, or even use it as a media center (with tons of emulators) in another TV in your house.

Last edited:

drganon

If you've got the money, go for it. Personally, I'm waiting till starfield to come out before I consider getting a series x.

Rykan

If you have a PS5, then right now I'd just hold off.

Most games are multiplatform and neither console has that many exclusives yet. The Xbox Series X isn't going anywhere: You can buy it later once enough compelling games come out to justify having two very similar consoles.

EDMIX

wKuv3Cx.jpg

Having skipped the last Xbox Generation completely, and owing a PS5, Series X has been intriguing me for a while now.
Cons are the few exclusives.
Pros are Halo, Starfield and gamepass, as well as the dev-mode.

What does GAF‘s collective voice say?

Edit: dont own a good PC / too expensive for my taste

I'm not saying No for life as its easy for me to be team no forever as I own many gaming PC's and plan to build another, my profession requires a pretty beefy PC so its easy to omit XB 99% of the times....but I'd say no now for the very reasons you just brought up

....very few exclusives.

Why pay a high price now, for an exclusive coming later on? What if it gets delayed to 2024? What if by then they show off a Series X Elite or something or you get it for a deeper discount? For secondary systems, always wait till that game drops or the price drops or both. I don't see the value in buying now, for titles that don't even exist yet.

and I agree with many on here to actually save for a PC. Not only will you able to play all of MS titles, but a shit load of PC only titles from the past.

Even if you are just spending $900 or $1k, you are still getting something far better, but its up to you on how you play.

Last edited:

Gudji

Get a PS5 and a PC.
The best option really. Basically play the Playstation exclusives you're interested in day one on PS5 and all the rest on PC with the best settings and performance.
If you buy physical PS5 games you can resell those to have some cash back... eventually those games will come out on PC too. It is more expensive of course but you can also use your computer to do other stuff and a good PC will last a very long time until it needs a proper upgrade (unless you're one of those fanatics with having the latest tech).

Last edited:
Top Bottom