• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

Title is self-explanatory. Jimbo knows his GaaS, it seems.

sbAm38T.jpg

UPD: As per Arrowhead's CEO, Helldivers 2 sold 1 million copies already (platform split is 50/50) and surpassed SIE's expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Just update the other thread that people are still posting in about player count. No need for a thread on every milestone someone thinks is thread worthy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Reasses what? The Finals had more than twice that ccu and look at its state now.
The Finals was F2P and may already be in the black. Helldivers 2 is $40/$60 and has MTX. You got to admit, the "sAtUrateD" narrative doesn't look so hot right now.
Only time will tell if this will be one of the few GAAS that can carve out a small niche for itself or it'll be thrown into the sea of GAAS flops.
If the first of twelve is a hit, you're probably less confident in the manufactured narrative.

Guilty_AI

The Finals was F2P and may already be in the black. Helldivers 2 is $40/$60 and has MTX.
Weird, i always thought the advantage of GAAS according to you was that players didn't have to chuck out money upfront and monetization came from engagement rather than taking a leap. This game is basically no different from an Assassins Creed or all that other Ubicrap as far as monetization models go.

If the first of twelve is a hit, you're probably less confident in the manufactured narrative.
You mean second, Foamstars was a total failure. Could be third too if you count in the canceled TLoU Factions game.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Weird, i always thought the advantage of GAAS according to you was that players didn't have to chuck out money upfront and monetization came from engagement rather than taking a leap. This game is basically no different from an Assassins Creed or all that other Ubicrap as far as monetization models go.
There are many different advantages to GAAS. I do wonder if the goalposts will continuously be moved as these games start hitting big over the next few years. A lot of the following...
1786898c-c7d5-445f-9af6-5fc01271e5da_text.gif

You mean second. Foamstars was a total failure. Could be third too if you count in the canceled TLoU Factions game.
Foamstars isn't one of PlayStation Studios Live Service projects. The LoU Factions never released. Concord will be #2.

FunkMiller

You have to wonder how much more popular Suicide Squad Kill The RockSteady would have been had they priced it much lower than the ridiculously high full price they charged for it. Or was that always fucked because of the pivot from Rocksteady?

Be interesting to see where Helldivers 2 is in about two weeks. I'm dead set against GaaS, so I personally hope it drops off a cliff, but there is an audience for these things, if it's priced right and contains decent gameplay.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

There are many different advantages to GAAS. I do wonder if the goalposts will continuously be moved as these games start hitting big over the next few years. A lot of the following...
Don't wanna hear that from the guy who's constantly changing the definition of GAAS to fit his narrative. Helldivers 2 is at the very least unlikely to put them in the red since its payment model is closer to a traditional one of upfront payment, with an absurd price tag too for a game they supposedly wanna sell you with tons of DLC on.

If they'll keep engagement numbers to sell those DLC on the other hand....

Foamstars isn't one of PlayStation Studios Live Service projects. The LoU Factions never released. Concord will be #2.
It was still part of their GAAS strategy tho, they made a exclusivity deal and everything.

Ozriel

M$FT

It is statistically unlikely for the bulk of all their GaaS titles in development to stick the landing.

Then why are you still counting 12?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Don't wanna hear that from the guy who's constantly changing the definition of GAAS to fit his narrative. Helldivers 2 is at the very least unlikely to put them in the red since its payment model is closer to a traditional one of upfront payment, with an absurd price tag too for a game they supposedly wanna sell you with tons of DLC on.
This is what it comes to. Helldivers 2, the first of PlayStations GAAS push, is a success and we get...

If they'll keep engagement numbers to sell those DLC on the other hand....
That IS how GAAS generates revenue so...
It was still part of their GAAS strategy tho, they made a exclusivity deal and everything.
It's not published by PlayStation. It clearly wasn't a part of their big 12.
It is statistically unlikely for the bulk of all their GaaS titles in development to stick the landing.
I'd take that bet six ways to Sunday. The idea that most of them wouldn't be successful has always been a bizarre fascination to me. A mass formation psychosis if you will. Helldivers 2 is thawing the narrative.
Then why are you still counting 12?
PlayStation still counts 12. 6 will be releases before FY 2025, and 6 are delayed. Plus, they've always had more than 12 in production.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Some exec at Sony is like "Seee this the type of shit that will make us money and maximize shareholder value. Shut the fuck up Herman and put those new IP's on hold"

I know nothing about business and how exes talk

Stuart360

Bit surprised so many of you are celebrating thsi, only because are you not worried that a AA game has been almost as successful being released day one that some of their big hitteres have being released 1+years later?.

I still think by the end of the gen they will be day and date on PC, and this could enforce that even more.

By the way i this worth playing for single player?,. i keep reading mixed feelings on it. I'm interested but would be playing SP.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'd take that bet six ways to Sunday. The idea that most of them wouldn't be successful has always been a bizarre fascination to me. A mass formation psychosis if you will. Helldivers 2 is thawing the narrative.

You’re on an enthusiast gaming forum and you’re not aware that the majority of GaaS titles don’t end up with lasting success?

The launch success of one title - the one most people expected to launch well - doesn’t really change the picture or thaw any narrative. Especially when we just had Sony cancel a high profile GaaS title with untold tens of millions of dollars in sunk cost.

I think Sony’s on the right track here, tbh. A good mix of single player and GaaS is for the best. It’s just unlikely to expect all - or most of the - 12 games to resonate with the market.

PlayStation still counts 12.

They announced 12 back in 2022, with Naughty Dog’s game in the mix at that time, for a 2024 release.

Bit surprised so many of you are celebrating thsi, only because are you not worried that a AA game has been almost as successful being released day one that some of their big hitteres have being released 1+years later?.

I still think by the end of the gen they will be day and date on PC, and this could enforce that even more.

By the way i this worth playing for single player?,. i keep reading mixed feelings on it. I'm interested but would be playing SP.
I disagree. You don't change single player focused studios into making gaas games. I think Sony have learned that the hard way with Factions. Guerilla is the only AAA premiere Sony studio currently working on a gaas game. Invest in smaller studios, which they have with London, Firewalk, Haven, and Arrowhead

Also, I would not buy Helldivers to solo. It is not nearly as enjoyable and kind of boring. The game is surprisingly amazing with randos tho. Voicechat isn't needed and I have yet to run into any trolls. Good community so far

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You’re on an enthusiast gaming forum and you’re not aware that the majority of GaaS titles don’t end up with lasting success?
This is what's so interesting. You would think an enthusiast forum would understand the failure rate of SP games too, and understand why GAAS resonates with a bigger and bigger market. Instead, it too frequently boils down to "I dont like, therefore..." It's hard for me to value my own preferences to that degree.
The launch success of one title - the one most people expected to launch well - doesn’t really change the picture or thaw any narrative. Especially when we just had Sony cancel a high profile GaaS title with untold tens of millions of dollars in sunk cost.
There are TON of people on this enthusiast forum who believe "The vast majority will fail. Maybe one or two hit." When the first of twelve is a success, it becomes a harder position to stick too.

Single player projects are cancelled all the time too. I don't put any stock into the cancellation of Factions 2. It never reached the production stage so it likely didn't cost very much.
I think Sony’s on the right track here, tbh. A good mix of single player and GaaS is for the best. It’s just unlikely to expect all - or most of the - 12 games to resonate with the market.
I've always disagreed with this notion. I think the overwhelming majority of their 12 titles will be a success. Helldivers 2 is a wonderful start. If/when Concord hits big, it'll be fun watching people reconstruct the goalposts.

They announced 12 back in 2022, with Naughty Dog’s game in the mix at that time, for a 2024 release.
They reiterated the number (12) in Nov 2023.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
So is it stacking up to Palworld on Steam like some were trying to say? There was a thread where someone said it past it on something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Maybe the big name games like GOW and Horizon got good numbers on PC being ports years later, but for small scale games like HD2, it's important to be day one n PC. Doing a drip drip drip approach like Sony did with all their games has shown the smaller games like HD1, Returnal, Sackboy, R&C etc... were all sales disasters on PC.

HD2 releases day one and already hit 100,000 users. if HD2 was a year later port, it'd be old news and sell a fraction of the copies.

Last edited:
Maybe the big name games like GOW and Horizon got good numbers on PC being ports years later, but for small scale games like HD2, it's important to be day one n PC. Doing a drip drip drip approach like Sony did with all their games has shown the smaller games like HD1, Returnal, Sackboy, R&C etc... were all sales disasters on PC.

HD2 releases day one and already hit 100,000 users. if HD2 was a year later port, it'd be old news and sell a fraction of the copies.
is simpler:

Multiplayer

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Last edited:
Top Bottom