• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Seven years for a five hour game is pretty fucking ridiculous though.

This game took 7 years to make and just 5 hours to finish?

Ded Teletubbie GIF by MOODMAN

TBiddy

How many Xbox fansites have give this a near perfect or perfect score?
I know right?! Game Informer, Shacknews, IGN Spain and all those other bloody Xbox fansites ruining what could have been a great 6/10 score for you to to enjoy.

This game took 7 years to make and just 5 hours to finish?

Ded Teletubbie GIF by MOODMAN

No. Development didn't really start until June 2020 as per Don Matthews.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I feel so bad for Ninja Theory right now

I kind of partially do... but I don't understand how a game developer can spend seven years working on a game that is apparently no better, bigger or more advanced than the first one, other than the pretty stuff, that is irrelevant to how it plays as a game.

Ozriel

M$FT
review aggregates in line with the predecessor are a bit of a shame, but it’s a wide swing.

Preloaded on my PC and happy to fire this up later today.

TBiddy

I kind of partially do... but I don't understand how a game developer can spend seven years working on a game that is apparently no better, bigger or more advanced than the first one, other than the pretty stuff, that is irrelevant to how it plays as a game.
They only spend four years, though.

A fool wrote it. It's clear that if a game bonafide has "the best graphics ever on a video game console" then it deserves more than 5/10.
Not true. If the graphics are amazing and the gameplay/game itself sucks, then 5/10 could even be generous.
The Order, Ryse, Perfect Dark Zero, Killzone Shadows Fall, lots of games have had top notch graphics that I never want to play again. Not saying that's hellblade 2, but graphics != gameplay. If it's primarily a narrative experience, more traditional adventure game kind of thing, then the writing and puzzles if they're part of it better be awesome.

Last edited:
I kind of understand it. The Xbox hardware brand is in a really bad place, to the point where it may be irrelevant in a couple years. That will kill traffic to these Xbox centric sites, and peoples livelihoods

I would sympathise more if they weren’t such obvious boot lickers. Imagine asking these people for sincere answers about what and where Xbox is.

This sort of behaviour is a detriment to what they are supposed to be fans of.

TBiddy

This is a non-discussion. The point is they spent an ungodly amount of time and resources on what appears to be a five to six hour experience.

I don't know if four years is an "ungodly amount", but what I do know is that I will always prefer five to six hours of intensity with no filler over 10 hours of content with loads of filler.

Not saying that there's no filler in Hellblade 2, as I haven't played it.

Seems like a shoo-in for Prettiest Walking Simulator at this year's Game Awards.

That's an actual category, right? There are so many I've kinda lost track.

It's 11:00 am in EU, middle of the night in the US.

Give it 24 hours.

This is a non-discussion. The point is they spent an ungodly amount of time and resources on what appears to be a five to six hour experience.
100% fair. Plus, this will probably have the highest ratio of Gamepass vs people who actually purchased maybe ever. No way would I spend 50$ for a 7hr game. I'm not even sure if Steam will be a good metric. Gamepass FTW here

"The sequel is a lesser game than its predecessor. There are fewer combat mechanics in play, removing the melee button and directional attacks and replacing them with nothing."
"The scale of the puzzles are also smaller, as the game's level design has shrunk. The former game had larger areas with vertical structures. This game's level design is mostly a straight line, with a few small puzzle areas to break up the pacing."

"You're constantly being told that you, as Senua, are accomplishing incredible feats and doing things no one else could have done—the reality is that most of the time you're just holding forward on the stick, or doing puzzles a child could solve, so it all feels deeply unearned. In one sequence where the characters were lost in a strange forest, I was heaped with praise for using my insight to find a way through—when literally all I was doing was following the one clear path in front of me. "

lol

Last edited:

"The sequel is a lesser game than its predecessor. There are fewer combat mechanics in play, removing the melee button and directional attacks and replacing them with nothing."
"The scale of the puzzles are also smaller, as the game's level design has shrunk. The former game had larger areas with vertical structures. This game's level design is mostly a straight line, with a few small puzzle areas to break up the pacing."

"You're constantly being told that you, as Senua, are accomplishing incredible feats and doing things no one else could have done—the reality is that most of the time you're just holding forward on the stick, or doing puzzles a child could solve, so it all feels deeply unearned. In one sequence where the characters were lost in a strange forest, I was heaped with praise for using my insight to find a way through—when literally all I was doing was following the one clear path in front of me. "

lol

10/10

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

lol
How is this game getting 10/10 then? It seems worse than the Order.

Klosshufvud

lol
Wow, this review is some high quality writing

"You're never allowed to wonder about what a line might mean, or the significance of a particular facial expression or gesture, because the voices are there to talk all over it like YouTubers making a Let's Play. At their worst, they make a game trying to be intelligent and artful feel like it has no respect for the audience's intelligence, explaining the most basic of plot points multiple times in a row and offering a jumble of advice for overcoming simple obstacles. "

Brutal, and a very tiresome trend in modern games to simply assume their audiences to be brain dead.

FunkMiller

As we both know, a reveal of a game does not equal active development.

Eh. Seems like a very solid, well thought out trailer for a game they'd put absolutely no development into. But I'm not sure even four years for a five hour game is exactly much better.

Top Bottom