• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hellblade 2 cost me just as much as Starfield on GamePass

and reviewers all get game codes for free anyway

Actual quote from that "review"......

"I don't even really want to discuss the combat or the puzzles or the length. All these things are so secondary..."

Timestamped

" .... because it's the themes that will be lasting with me for a long time"

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Anyway, where's the OT

Killjoy-NL

I think we all need to hope Microsoft never truly get their act together, as the diehard warriors on the Sony side are not even handling 'pretty good' well at all if this thread is anything to go by. Imagine if they start to bring out some 90+s... It will be brutal.

I wasn't going to rush to play this, but I think I've seen enough to want to give it a run sooner rather than later.
"In the land of Eunuchs, the One-Ball is king"

A 90+ for an Xbox exclusive isn't the same as 90+ for a PS exclusive.

The bar is a lot higher on Playstation.😶

NT80

It came out in 2015 tho.
I must've forgot. I really though it was a launch game and that would explain it's shortcomings. It was that and Ryse that were the showcase games for the graphics of that gen so I was thinking it too came at launch.

Connxtion

Gamespot's review: 6/10

oof
Yet she loved the first game so much she gave it 10/10 when it was excluded to Sony.

It’s basically the same game but more eye candy, just…

My mistake should have reading the originals review article instead of reading her reply on X.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Actual quote from that "review"......

"I don't even really want to discuss the combat or the puzzles or the length. All these things are so secondary..."

Timestamped

What's the issue with that?

Are we knocking Journey because of it's lack of combat, puzzles, and short length? Portal 1 & 2 because of their lack of combat and short lengths? INSIDE? The Stanley Parable? What Remains of Edith Finch?

Why are we acting like it's a bad thing for a developer to try something different within this interactive medium?

For as much as everyone complains that "modern AAA games are all cookie-cutter and take no risks", we sure seem to act pissed off when someone tries something different (and going by reviews, largely succeeds in what they sought out to accomplish).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What's the issue with that?

Are we knocking Journey because of it's lack of combat, puzzles, and short length? Portal 1 & 2 because of their lack of combat and short lengths? INSIDE? The Stanley Parable? Kentucky Route Zero? What Remains of Edith Finch?

Why are we acting like it's a bad thing for a developer to try something different within this interactive medium?

For as much as everyone complains that "modern AAA games are all cookie-cutter and take no risks", we sure seem to act pissed off when someone tries something different (and going by reviews, largely succeeds in what they sought out to accomplish).

If a game has shitty gameplay then that should be part of the review. You really think it should be ignored?

Yet she loved the first game so much she gave it 10/10 when it was excluded to Sony.

It’s basically the same game but more eye candy, just…

Where is her review of the first game? She didn't review it for Gamespot. That was someone else.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Why?

Xbox games are being released on Playstation as we speak.
Nobody talks about HFR and SoT ever since they released on Playstation and they are supposedly 2 of the best games Xbox has to offer.

The bars are different. Goes for HB2 on Xbox as well.

What does number of releases for a game have to do with critical reception?

Your arbitrary criteria makes no sense and you saying 'the bar is higher' is no different, if not any more worse, than citing the 'xbox tax'

Sea of Thieves was among the top downloaded games in April on PSN, just because you're not talking about it doesn't mean others aren't playing it.

JackMcGunns

Why?

Xbox games are being released on Playstation as we speak.
Nobody talks about HFR and SoT ever since they released on Playstation and they are supposedly 2 of the best games Xbox has to offer.

The bars are different. Goes for HB2 on Xbox as well.

The fact that HFR and SoT are both in the TOP 10 highest rated games on PS5 of 2024 says everything.

GHG

Gold Member
This is why it’s good to experience things for yourself instead of relying on gaming personalities. I’m not even 40 minutes in and I’ve already fought like eight enemies, found a couple collectibles and had an amazing boss fight.

I've had a playthrough on in the background for the last hour or so and other just two identical fights in the first hour or so it's been all walking.

Stop the cap.

Alex11

This line from Gamespot's review shows how wrong and nonsensical the reviews are, some are utterly a joke, be it from professionals or youtubers.

"Extremely minimal gameplay with simple puzzles and flat combat"
"Set pieces, encounters, story beats, and gameplay quickly grow repetitive"

I mean, gameplay being minimal is a minus, thus it would have been better if it had more gameplay, but it becomes repetitive, which is also a minus, sure, sure.

And set pieces or story beats repetitive in this a short game, that's a first, Jesus Christ.

Not a fan of the game, or the first one or any console, but this is just ridiculous. And also really like how some negatives in a game are positives in another and vice-versa, fucking lol.

Holy shit this dude CANNOT be serious

I remember the first game had heavy PR around it being a AAA game at indie pricing. I think it was about £25 on ps4 on release. This is £50 on Steam. This is a Microsoft studio now, with I think someone mention 80+ people, had how many years development? and obviously had way more money at their dispolal. Why would this fanboy try and act like it's a wee baby fighting against a dictator this time?

Killjoy-NL

What does number of releases for a game have to do with critical reception?

Your arbitrary criteria makes no sense and you saying 'the bar is higher' is no different, if not any more worse, than citing the 'xbox tax'

Sea of Thieves was among the top downloaded games in April on PSN, just because you're not talking about it doesn't mean others aren't playing it.
Yes, among the top-downloads and it'll fall off quickly, with nobody talking about it.

I never even said anything about quantity, I'm talking about quality.

And for the record, I'm hereby saying that HB2 is better than most of the trash Xbox releases.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't understand why Yong Yea gave this such an effusive review... but then I remembered that he did the voice over for a Yakuza Game, which is a SEGA game, and SEGA are in bed with Microsoft and it made a lot of sense to me then.
He’s sponsored by Soylent.

Think i'm at the last boss. He's giving last boss vibes
The real last boss was the PlayStation warriors who betrayed us along the way. Burn in hell peon.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I've had a playthrough on in the background for the last hour or so and other just two identical fights in the first hour or so it's been all walking.

Stop the cap.

The video you posted literally shows numerous fights, puzzles, and a boss fight in the first 40 minutes. So thanks for proving me right I guess?

And what a stupid ass comment anyway. “uh yeah outside of the stuff that isn’t walking, it’s all walking”

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

But hey, keep hating on a game you aren’t even playing. Not going to bother responding to you clowns anymore 😁👍

Maddoxswe

Gold Member
The video you posted literally shows numerous fights, puzzles, and a boss fight in the first 40 minutes. So thanks for proving me right I guess?

And what a stupid ass comment anyway. “uh yeah outside of the stuff that isn’t walking, it’s all walking”

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

But hey, keep hating on a game you aren’t even playing. Not going to bother responding to you clowns anymore 😁👍
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

adamsapple

Stop the cap.

There's like 7 unique encounters just in the prologue.

First off, you promised you're gonna sub to GP to play this, you're watching it on YT and not even doing a good job of that.

The fuck, G?

Disappointed Will Ferrell GIF by PeacockTV

Yes, among the top-downloads and it'll fall off quickly, with nobody talking about it.

I never even said anything about quantity, I'm talking about quality.

Even if it falls off quickly, which it hasn't so far.

You still haven't explained how that has absolutely any bearing on a games critical reception.

Persona 5 Royal has a 95 on Metacritic, it was not a top played game at all when it launched, that had no bearing on the games critical reception or any kid of 'bar' that you want to create.

And for the record, I'm hereby saying that HB2 is better than most of the trash Xbox releases.

ok.

Last edited:

WakeTheWolf

If the game doesn't grip in the first 30 minutes it is going to be a hard sell. I think they failed on that. I can cope with a interactive movie but it needs to grip and lead somewhere. This is just climbing rocks.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The Order was trashed for many reasons, though. Length and boring gameplay was only part of the reason for low reviews. Other than visuals, it didn't do anything well.
I disagree - length was one of the things it did well actually - plenty of games overstay their welcome and then some - The Order kept itself just short enough to still be... complete-able? I guess...

Anyway - narratively this thing seems to be the Highlander 2 of the series, I still don't know why it exists (I mean we all know 'why' but ...)
I'm very much in for the audio/visual spectacle and all that - but for the love of everything I don't get why this couldn't have been an original IP. Or hell - set it in the same world if you must to keep bean counters happy, just not a direct sequel to a story that warranted no such expansion.

Top Bottom