• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Review Embargo drops 1 hour before release

Eiknarf

I can't believe the weekend is here and will pass without any reviews dropping. It's like you can hear them saying, "Hey, can we bury the reviews in with the launch?"

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Less to do with fansites. Influencers like Colt Eastwood and Klobrille don't effect metacritic. But not sharing review codes to certain outlets to achieve a higher MC score at launch is disingenuous. Which is why Starfield was an 88MC when it launched and after a week was an 83MC.

Yea Right GIF

Only sending review codes to approved outlets, and meta scores settling down after more reviews pour in. Two more things exclusive to Xbox /s

Dazraell

I can't believe the weekend is here and will pass without any reviews dropping. It's like you can hear them saying, "Hey, can we bury the reviews in with the launch?"
Yeah, to me it pretty much sounds like a spin for "reviews doesn't matter, you can play it right now via GamePass, check it yourself!" argument if the reviews won't be favorable

I don't want to be cynical and I wish Ninja Theory all the best, especially considering recent news about Tango and Arkane Austin, but the review embargo thingie is certainly a red flag and it's not a first one I noticed (weak marketing, lack of buzz about this game, lower price for full copies, past claims about it being shorter experience, etc)

NickFire

It's funny but it seems to me like most of the concern comes from people who wouldn't get this game in the first place. I can't wait for the time when exclusives dies and warriors disperse.
Hold on. Are you really suggesting that console wars are involved when people expect the worst due to review embargos that expire at the last minute?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Hold on. Are you really suggesting that console wars are involved when people expect the worst due to review embargos that expire at the last minute?
Not all of it, we also have a few loonies with an easily triggered confirmation bias because they're upset that someone made a game they're not interested in.

But remember that this game was never intended to be the most monumental blockbuster. So go figure why two opposite sides both want to amplify the stature of a small and modestly successful game made by a small developer to the degree it is here (how much did HB1 sell, 6 mill..?). I can spell it out: one faction wants the game to reflect positively on their group, while the other desires to inflate the game's stature only to see it fail more spectacularly..

But yeah, perhaps there are valid opinions amid this chaos, so my potential apologies to those of you.

Looks hype

Heh, I recognized Aurora's voice immediately. She's quite the unique and professional artist.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

surely someone wouldn't lie on the internet? Surely they would admit the real reason they do it is for delaying reviews so as few people see it before buying.
I can't believe they would lie. We all know that the first w in any web address stands for Wholesome, based on the moral internet code bestowed upon when it was created.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Angry woman game tanks. Studio dies.

Good riddance. Try making something fun next time..
Angry mad woman finally sacrifices herself and the studio behind her.

Even in my broke phase as a kid growing up with a SNES and actively trash-talking the Sega Genesis I couldn’t afford, I don’t believe I ever went as far as actively hoping a game fails and the studio gets closed.

You people are strange 🤡

Last edited:

N30RYU

Even in my broke phase as a kid growing up with a SNES and actively trash-talking the Sega Genesis I couldn’t afford, I don’t believe I ever went as far as actively hoping a game fails just and the studio gets closed.

You people are strange 🤡
Even better now is that the game doesn't need to fail to sink the studio... just exist in the gamepass ecosystem

Ozriel

M$FT
Even better now is that the game doesn't need to fail to sink the studio... just exist in the gamepass ecosystem

Eh. Ninja theory have multiple projects in the works, they’ve got a track record of keeping games on budget and are in the UK where MS doesn’t have the excuse of ‘stretched management’.

They’ll very likely be fine.

I’d be surprised if the game doesn’t get a PS5 port eventually.

Last edited:
Eh. Ninja theory have multiple projects in the works, they’ve got a track record of keeping games on budget and are in the UK where MS doesn’t have the excuse of ‘stretched management’.

Ninja Theory is probably worth keeping around just because of their cutting edge motion capture knowledge. I'm not sure how successful of a studio they are outside of that, though. They have a pretty mixed record over the past 10 years. Hopefully Microsoft can cultivate the talent they do have and grow them into something great

Last edited:

Perrott

Looks hype

Nothing against Aurora, but why can't Microsoft go for any other kind of music choices in their promotional videos and even their showcases sizzle reels? For years and years it's always been this kind of music, with this kind of vocals and this kind of vibe.

Little Mac

I'm expecting it to be one of those titles that reviews in the low 80s but wins alot of awards for things like mo cap acting, and sound design. It'll be a quality niche game that players will binge in a weekend and discuss for about week or two before moving on.

Having made my prediction, watch it be everyone's GOTY.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
An alarming situation for the "dozens" of people who will buy this game for $60 (or $70) on day one. For those like me who will play it on Game Pass, it will be an indicator of whether it's worth the download hassle. If it doesn't get a score above 85, I don't plan on downloading it.

Last edited:

Luipadre

An alarming situation for the "dozens" of people who will buy this game for $60 (or $70) on day one. For those like me who will play it on Game Pass, it will be an indicator of whether it's worth the download hassle. If it doesn't get a score above 85, I don't plan on downloading it.
if you are playing games or watching movies/shows based on metascores then you are missing out a bunch of good stuff, just saying

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
if you are playing games or watching movies/shows based on metascores then you are missing out a bunch of good stuff, just saying
I agree with what you said about films and TV shows. Sometimes highly rated films turn out to be terrible, and sometimes really good films get low scores. However, when it comes to games, I've rarely been disappointed by those that score 85 and above. Especially games that score 75 and below almost never mislead me.

N30RYU

Nothing against Aurora, but why can't Microsoft go for any other kind of music choices in their promotional videos and even their showcases sizzle reels? For years and years it's always been this kind of music, with this kind of vocals and this kind of vibe.
Probably the only good thing about it... what you want reggeton?

For my taste they are nailing it since Gears of War Mad World trailer.

Eiknarf

I'm kidding, I like cinematic eperiences with good storytelling, with great sound and great graphics. I'm just pointing out the obvious.
Hellblade 2 will be more than a walking sim though, right?
Fort Solis was a beautiful looking borefest!! Literally walking and that’s it

Eiknarf

When it gets a PS5 port, will there be a physical release or will it be like Alan Wake 2 (digital only)?

Ozriel

M$FT
When it gets a PS5 port, will there be a physical release or will it be like Alan Wake 2 (digital only)?

Probably digital only.

I’m not sure what MS is doing with that, tbh. It’s harmful to their console to keep games off shelves. Sometimes it feels like amateur hour over at Xbox marketing.

Top Bottom