• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helicopter Crashes into Crane in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its been all over the news suggesting it may not have had a light on the crane, though I saw a recent pic of it on another site with a light on the crane
I've only gone off of the articles. Generally that'd have to be some hellish fog though...
What's the law say? How high was the crane?

I can't speak on UK laws regarding this sort of thing in particular but I'm almost positive that every construction endeavor involving a crane or support is supposed to have its own lighting if it extends past the building that its related to.

I realize the crane had no lights, but doesn't it seem he was flying way too close to buildings? I'm assuming there wasn't a helicopter pad up there he was trying to land on.....

seanoff

Q) EGTT/QOBCE/IV/M/AE/000/008/5129N00007W001
A) EGLW B) FROM: 13/01/07 17:00C) TO: 13/03/15 23:59

E) HIGH RISE JIB CRANE (LIT AT NIGHT) OPR WI 1NM 5129N 00007W, HGT
770FT AMSL (VAUXHALL, CENTRAL LONDON), OPS CTC
12-10-0429/AS 2.

Above is the notice to pilots warning of the crane.

The pilot got caught in thick fog. He couldn't see where he was going. No fault of the crane

Mindwipe

It's certainly illegal not to have lights, but the Press Association are reporting that the crane did have lights and they had been checked yesterday.

Not clear exactly where they were though - perhaps they weren't positioned correctly, but who knows at this point, the inquiry will have to look at that.

Seems more likely it was just a sad case of pilot error so far, or for all we know it might have been a failure of the copter and it happened to crash into the crane on the way down.

Raist

Banned
I've only gone off of the articles. Generally that'd have to be some hellish fog though...

Welcome to London. I live about 1min walk from the Shard and couldn't see any of it this morning. I could start kind of seeing some of it once I was 100m away from it on my way to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom