• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR makes most games look worse.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't use dynamic tone mapper because Vincent Teoh goes on a lot about how it is inaccurate, causes artifacts but some like dynamic picture mode so whatever. I just set hgig and hope games properly support eventually (and filmmaker mode for movies)

There's some weirdness in some lotr scenes (like in the Shire early) but HDR is pretty good overall
He isn't wrong. I should have specified for gaming I use it if it doesn't support HGIG. Outriders for example is just too dark at times in HDR for me.

I find for movies that are just HDR that it can be far too aggressive sometimes so I stick with the darker picture. The Peak Brightness setting does enough for me.

Quasicat

I thought it was my panel, because all of my Xbox and PS4 stuff looked all washed out. I fired up YouTube and Disney+ HDR and it looks absolutely amazing! I wish I understood why it doesn’t look as good on my games as it does movies.

Everything except God of War I agree with, Kratos is pink on my set with HDR on. The increase of depth of the image is fantastic (What HDR should be doing) but colours are oversaturated to a point where it ruins the presenatation for me.

I haven't tried it again since I changed to PS5 so I'll give it another try just now in fact, brb. I'll take a photo of SDR and HDR if its still the same and try and show what I mean.

edit - okay he's not quite pink lol but everything is oversaturated and I can't fix it by turning down contrast, the lamp on the boat in the first minute of the game has its highlight blown out and it just looks bad to me, if I turn down brightness I can get back specular highlight detail but have to go too low to get it all back, SDR has a much better black level as well for me, like during the parts where he's shadowed in the house its much less grey.
What kind of tv are you using? I have an 55" LG OLED E8 and God of War on my PS5 looks incredible. Ghost of Tsushima as well.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I thought it was my panel, because all of my Xbox and PS4 stuff looked all washed out. I fired up YouTube and Disney+ HDR and it looks absolutely amazing! I wish I understood why it doesn’t look as good on my games as it does movies.
Brightness too high in game.

MultiCore

The problem here is standardization.

None of the displays have identical capabilities, and the sofware ends up relying on user configuration.

Love HDR on my X35, and it's not a gimmick at all. Every piece of software needs it, yesterday. They absolutely need to get the configuration automated and standardized though. If they can do lip-sync and dynamic metadata, they can do this.

Last edited:

TonyK

Lot of HDR stans ITT, didn’t realize it was possible.

My setup is fine fine, calibration is fine. The issue here is there is no standard for HDR and a lot of games have jacked up tone mapping, wether you want to admit it or not. I don’t think you know what you’re talking about or are at the very least you’re biased, based on how hard you seem to stan for HDR.
Or maybe I simply like how HDR looks.

Zathalus

Never had issues with HDR up until Outriders. Not sure how the developers could have possibly thought that it looks right.

this definitely applies to Outriders but it’s not that simple of a fix for every game that looks washed out in HDR.
oh yeah sorry i was specifically speaking about Outriders. What tv/console do you have and what are some of the games you see this issue on? I've honestly not had much issue with my LG CX oled and the games i've been playing. I used Vincent's settings recommendations from HDTVTest youtube channel.

Because every display is different and there is no way to know what colors are really shown by your display unless its examined. That's when display calibrate n kicks in. On a more positive way - it needs to be done once per display and results are worth it. Our brain perceive calibrated display as 'more natural, life-like'. Ask Apple why they've always calibrating their displays. (Ipad, Iphone, Macbook screens for example will look much better than 'others')
Exactly, that's what I'm saying. If Apple can calibrate every fucking display of their billions of devices sold, how is it possible that other can't ?

rolandss

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any HDR content ever. Doesn’t seem like I’m missing out on much yet from a PlayStation perspective at least.

rolandss

don't shit on good plasma's tho..
they are so much better looking then 95% of the currents LCD tv's
Can wholeheartedly agree with this. I’ve got a 55inch Panasonic VT60 plasma I got 6 years ago, one of the last models Panasonic made, and it’s image still blows me away. I go into stores sometimes and think, wow, 4K oled looks great, but not to the point where I’d consider replacing my Panasonic for one. Also, the way plasma handles motion still seems to be better than most TVs out there.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Can wholeheartedly agree with this. I’ve got a 55inch Panasonic VT60 plasma I got 6 years ago, one of the last models Panasonic made, and it’s image still blows me away. I go into stores sometimes and think, wow, 4K oled looks great, but not to the point where I’d consider replacing my Panasonic for one. Also, the way plasma handles motion still seems to be better than most TVs out there.
pana users know what's the good shit

Kuranghi

What kind of tv are you using? I have an 55" LG OLED E8 and God of War on my PS5 looks incredible. Ghost of Tsushima as well.

Its a Sony ZD9, its just a personal preference some people won't mind what I'm talking about, its slightly more saturated than SDR for me, if I turn down any of the sliders it changes too many other things.

Hinedorf

Banned
What model are you using?
Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27” HDR Monitor, 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080), Fast IPS, 280Hz, G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync (ELMB SYNC), 1ms, DisplayHDR 400

Kuranghi

Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27” HDR Monitor, 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080), Fast IPS, 280Hz, G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync (ELMB SYNC), 1ms, DisplayHDR 400

If you like HDR on your IPS monitor you'll do a flip when you see it on a VA or OLED panel, your monitor does 500 nits for HDR, which is decent but VA panel FALD LCD HDR TVs will go up 900-1200 nits and have way better black levels than IPS. Here is your panel compared to a mid-range TV:

Your panel:

uniformity-large.jpg

Sony X900H:

uniformity-local-dimming-large.jpg

The blooming is slightly exaggerated by the camera but the difference will be nearly that stark in person. Obviously you probably played way less for the monitor than this TV costs and you wouldn't want a VA panel for high refresh gaming due to smearing, but just wanted to show you how much better black levels are with a VA instead of IPS panel + local dimming backlight, instead of an edge-lit backlight.

You should definitely consider a VA/OLED panel TV for HDR if you havent already.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
If you like HDR on your IPS monitor you'll do a flip when you see it on a VA or OLED panel, your monitor does 500 nits for HDR, which is decent but VA panel FALD LCD HDR TVs have way better black levels than IPS. Here is your panel compared to a mid-range TV:

Your panel:

uniformity-large.jpg

Sony X900H:

uniformity-local-dimming-large.jpg

The blooming is slightly exaggerated by the camera but the difference will be nearly that stark in person. Obviously you probably played way less for the monitor than this TV costs and you wouldn't want a VA panel for high refresh gaming due to smearing, but just wanted to show you how much better black levels are with a VA instead of IPS panel + local dimming backlight, instead of an edge-lit backlight.

You should definitely consider a VA/OLED panel TV for HDR if you havent already.
Exactly. Comparing my 27" 4k ips (very good ips panel btw, no bleeding at all) to my new c1 is OMG
fLVVpGq.jpg

cxMlS88.jpg

Hinedorf

Banned
Exactly. Comparing my 27" 4k ips (very good ips panel btw, no bleeding at all) to my new c1 is OMG
fLVVpGq.jpg

cxMlS88.jpg

Yea that makes a lot more sense I'm sort of obsessed with maintaining one central gaming hub where i have PC/PS4/Switch/Work Laptop all within 2 flips of a switch through my 27incher and i got a big 50+ 4k TV to my right I use for cable/streaming. I don't really feel the need to have anything bigger than a 27 if I'm directly in front of it, good to know if I ever switch up which I might as I'll probably throw a PS5 on the big TV in the future

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I would agree many game implementations need work. Where it works decently, it's a substantial upgrade.

Also wish we didn't have to fiddle with adjustment sliders and the TV and system could just talk to each other to figure out where to set the black/white points. Never know if I did it right because the instructions are often wrong.

Ashtyr

Neo Member
HDR is amazing when it is well implemented and you have a TV / monitor capable of that signal.

That is, if there are several games where it is completely broken or its settings are a complete chaos that there is no way to leave it right.

I use a Q90R and the HDR is incredible as it looks

2A9ufkl.jpg

B53JBx0.jpg

aMlcpEp.jpg

These are with the Xbox one S

ZJuZUOh.jpg

SpSuLOn.jpg

mTZ7p9F.jpg

ga22GPP.jpg

mYd7lNH.jpg

But it is very very important to know how to correctly adjust both the console and the game, as well as the TV.

That if it is one of those games with broken HDR, little can be done, you can leave it more or less well but far from games where HDR is well implemented and where it is an incredible experience

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
HDR is amazing when it is well implemented and you have a TV / monitor capable of that signal.

That is, if there are several games where it is completely broken or its settings are a complete chaos that there is no way to leave it right.

I use a Q90R and the HDR is incredible as it looks

2A9ufkl.jpg

Ehmmm ... there's absolutely no point whatsoever in posting 24-bit photos in JPG format of your TV to show everyone how crazy good HDR looks. You' need to make that photo at 30 or 36 bit color depth and then you can only properly showcase that photo on a monitor that is at least 30 bit.

Whitecrow

Banned
Get a high end TV with lots of nits, calibrate, implement your game HDR there, and let consumer TVs to tonemap accordingly.
Come on, is not like first party studios cant affor those...

We have been almost a full generation with HDR games. I dont understand why it is still so hard for devs to make good implementations : /

Kuranghi

Ehmmm ... there's absolutely no point whatsoever in posting 24-bit photos in JPG format of your TV to show everyone how crazy good HDR looks. You' need to make that photo at 30 or 36 bit color depth and then you can only properly showcase that photo on a monitor that is at least 30 bit.

I don't think most HDR games t make much if any use of the REC 2020 colour space, so I don't know how much the bit depth matters, the banding would be worse maybe though. I still think it can't be captured properly in a photo though, but I think the main thing people notice with HDR is the dynamic range so thats why the photo isn't a good way to convey it imo.

assurdum

Banned
Uh. I have RDR2 on pro. HDR is magnificent there. Yeah the orangish colours could be unnatural but damn the lightings feel real to me.

Top Bottom