• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have there been games that failed due to the developers being too ambitious for their own good?

FMX

Have there been games that could have been great if it would have been scaled back some. This could be a game that was either released or cancelled. Anything comes to mind?

Last edited:

Banned
If you listen to the original vision and then play Fable, you understand they failed.

The game Molyneux wanted to create is not Fable. Fable is what came out of that failure. A very different, smaller, lower in scope game.

ok but read the OP. the way the OP is worded fits exactly with what happened to Fable and why it ultimately wasn't a failure, it was scaled back and wasn't too ambitious.
it was a huge success even and a really good game as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Taking a game that should have been a single player with co op online and turning it into a GaaS game with out any of the needed content to be a game like that maybe.
But I wouldn't call GaaS "ambitious", its designed to make money rather than be benefit the actual game.

OT: I would say Scalebound, the game was trying to be high budget open world RPG with Dragon as AI companion and with Co-op multiplayer and I don't think PlatinumGames have that much experience of making high budget RPG.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Halo: MCC was way too ambitious, getting that many engines to work together was a colossal undertaking. There's a reason every other collection game just has a crappy launcher to go into each game instead of integrating them the way MCC does.

AC: Unity. Game clearly had no idea what next gen consoles would be like and overshot the CPU budget by a mile.

sublimit

Banned
519CKN0NTTL._AC_.jpg

To be fair though it wasn't only due to the developers (Core Design) being ambitious that AoD failed. It was more due to Eidos being greedy AF.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
But thats not really I would call GaaS "ambitious", its designed to make money rather than be benefit the actual game.

OT: I would say Scalebound, the game was trying to be high budget open world RPG with Dragon as AI companion and with Co-op multiplayer and I don't think PlatinumGames have that much experience of making high budget RPG.

I would say it was Ambitious of them to think what they put out would keep people playing longer then 2 weeks let alone as long as a proper GaaS game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say it was Ambitious of them to think what they put out would keep people playing longer then 2 weeks let alone as long as a proper GaaS game.
I would say they highly relied on Avengers IP for this game to be long lasting.

Guilty_AI

Plenty, its so common it's actually a problem you need to be aware of when working on big projects.

Of course some fail more than others. FFXV and Fable games were too ambitious for their own good, but they still sort of succeeded. But then there were also games like FUEL which i think not many here remember or even heard of, or even games like Driv3r which are remembered because of how much they failed.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Halo: MCC was way too ambitious, getting that many engines to work together was a colossal undertaking. There's a reason every other collection game just has a crappy launcher to go into each game instead of integrating them the way MCC does.

Well, it works now, and it’s great. They just needed 4 years post launch to work on it because 343 sucks ass.

ok but read the OP. the way the OP is worded fits exactly with what happened to Fable and why it ultimately wasn't a failure, it was scaled back and wasn't too ambitious.
it was a huge success even and a really good game as well.
The way I read the OP, I personally think Fable still applies. It's opinion, that's okay. Fable was not the original title so in that way, the game that Molyneux originally wanted did fail and die and they repackaged the pieces and parts into a new game named Fable that ended up being moderately successful.

what about todd howard
But his games didn't fail or reduce the scope or ambition. He releases them full ambition, full scope and full of bugs.

Very different from completely changing the product, changing the game, changing everything after your work was deemed impossible due to being too ambitious and thus repackaing the pieces into something smaller and a completely different game.

Kupfer

DayZ - even if the game is good today the way to it was a hard one. Crappy communication, bugs, wrong expectations, bugs, too slow progress, missing features, bugs, cheater....
Today it's not the game I wanted when playing DayZ-Mod in 2012-2013 so I just revisit it every few months for some hours for the nostalgia, it was fun spending hours with the boys to get a chopper in the air and then hide and defend it for the next days. Standalone was way too ambitious for the team and the playerbase became toxic.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
But his games didn't fail or reduce the scope or ambition. He releases them full ambition, full scope and full of bugs.

Very different from completely changing the product, changing the game, changing everything after your work was deemed impossible due to being too ambitious and thus repackaing the pieces into something smaller and a completely different game.
gud thing he still has ambition tho

Moochi

Duke Nukem Forever. There was a 3d Realms forum and people would suggest insane features that escalated out of control. "You should be able to use the urinals" became "You should be able to piss on ANYTHING!" And the devs were always like, "It's already partially implemented. You can piss in vehicles too." And that just went on for 2 decades.

MrS

Banned
RDR2. Focussed too much on inane shit and not enough on the meat of the game. I fear CP2077 will suffer the same fate.

Last edited:
Jurassic Park: Trespasser

That friggen arm and hand... omg it was brutal
It at least got us one of the best Let's Play's of all time:

RDR2. Focussed too much on inane shit and not enough on the meat of the game. I fear CP2077 will suffer the same fate.

That game sold 30+million copies. Far from a failure.
---------------------------------

Ya'll mufucka's even reading the thread title before ya post?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MrS
Oh, you mean Star Citizen :messenger_smirking:
Star Citizen

What about what is happening with star citizen makes you think it’s a failure? To me it is an industry leading forward thinking project with no release in sight but they want to put everything in it and if it takes 15 or 20 more years then so be it. I think most people who think the project has a worthy goal would agree.

I even think there is room for a fantasy world to be created using crowd funding in the same vein as star citizen. People want it (perhaps even more than sci fi) and I’m stunned that no one has copycat star citizen with a fantasy setting yet considering how much money game fans throw at Cloud.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Xenogears. Disc 2 almost never happened, the developers had to beg Squaresoft for a little more funding and time so they could complete the game. It's also a 60-80 hour game

Those ideas have been discarded, Xenogears disc 2 never had a budget problem or lack of development time.

The reason It was the receiving of new talents that caused delays with the development of the game as well as the 3D development that at that time was something new:

It was that the RPG development team received new talents and the pace of work, as well as the learning, assimilation and practice time, caused delays in the calendar, so they had to choose other paths: "honestly, what What happened was that Xenogears was a project that had new members in the team, some very young. I had the direction of the game at that time. All projects were contemplated for 2 years and that was the limit to have everything ready. So Instead of concentrating on developing the game, we had to focus on the learning and growth of these new members. Things like 3D were something very new, that caused delays and it was impossible for us to have everything ready on time. "

Noting that the Xenogears project would not be ready before the deadline, Squaresoft suggested that the game will end at the end of the first disc, that is, when Fei Fong Wong and his team escape from Solaris. Takahashi refused to let this be the case and made a counter proposal: "It was a very hard way to end it and if we had done it like that the players would not be satisfied. So I made them a proposal, I told them if they would let us finish disc 2 As we know it, we could finish the game's story on schedule and on schedule with our development team and budget. " In this way, the ending of Xenogears narrates the events with which the story ends instead of being able to play them.

CRTjkKk.png

Just so some of ya'll know what it means. Because some of the post in here would lead one to believe ya'll fail to understand what failure means.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
CRTjkKk.png

Just so some of ya'll know what it means. Because some of the post in here would lead one to believe ya'll fail to understand what failure means.
Your post doesn't really clarify what a failure is? What is success for that matter? Is it a game making it's money back? It's it about more than just money? What if player trust in a company is damaged? What if a brand is devalued?

Last edited:
Your post doesn't really clarify what a failure is? What is success for that matter? Is it a game making it's money back? It's it about more than just money? What if player trust in a company is damaged? What if a brand is devalued?
If it has to be explained more than the definition I'm not so sure you should even be in the discussion.

If a person thinks that a game that's sold millions of copies making millions of dollars is a failure when it is a financial boon for a developer/publisher. Then....I have nothing to add that will change your mind or theirs.

Some of ya'll have the Squeenix definition of failure as opposed to the real one the rest of us use.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If you listen to the original vision and then play Fable, you understand they failed.

The game Molyneux wanted to create is not Fable. Fable is what came out of that failure. A very different, smaller, lower in scope game.

I was neck deep in Morrowind and hoping on my next fix when all the Project Ego buzz started. I still remember how dynamic Peter said the world would be (plant an acorn and watch the tree grow as you adventure and the years pass). What a fucking bummer Fable turned out to be.

I’d definitely say star citizen is a failure. There are many articles of Chris conman being useless at mismanaging money and projects

elco

What about what is happening with star citizen makes you think it’s a failure? To me it is an industry leading forward thinking project with no release in sight but they want to put everything in it and if it takes 15 or 20 more years then so be it. I think most people who think the project has a worthy goal would agree.

I even think there is room for a fantasy world to be created using crowd funding in the same vein as star citizen. People want it (perhaps even more than sci fi) and I’m stunned that no one has copycat star citizen with a fantasy setting yet considering how much money game fans throw at Cloud.

Agreed, it's not a failure just yet, and I'm glad it exists as I'm a fan in general. That said, until they release, they are front runner for GOAT over ambitious projects. That's not necessarily a bad thing, until it is.

Bogey

Banned
Gothic 3.

A sequel to one of the most popular RPGs in central/eastern Europe. They had high aspirations for a huge world, but they bit off way more than they could handle. And ended up with an open world RPG that had a huge, but fairly lifeless, boring world without any meaningful story at all, and bugs so plentiful and huge that even Starship Troopers wouldn't have been able to eradicate those.

The Crew games. Expansive map but would have been better if they focused on the driving mechanics and filling that world with meaningful content instead of what we got.

No they did not learn their lesson with the sequel. They just added shallow as fuck planes and boats.

I was neck deep in Morrowind and hoping on my next fix when all the Project Ego buzz started. I still remember how dynamic Peter said the world would be (plant an acorn and watch the tree grow as you adventure and the years pass). What a fucking bummer Fable turned out to be.
Exactly.

Also, understand that some hot takes are posted just to farm reactions. Look at that sweet sweet Peter Molyneux dump and the rewards I reaped.

DEpiNrO.jpeg

I am but a simple farmer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom