• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hasbro May Sell Dungeons & Dragons to Tencent, Larian Acting As Intermediary

Guilty_AI

I honestly still see this as a win.

Seems they actually wanted to sell it to Larian first, but they refused cause they didn't have funds for it and passed it on to tencent who has shares on their studio.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Apparently (according to OPs article), this started because Hasbro wanted to sell the D&D IP to Larian, but Larian didn't have enough money, so they kicked it up to Tencent who is one of their investors.

I'd much rather have Larian be in charge of Dungeons and Dragons IP.

Hudo

Apparently (according to OPs article), this started because Hasbro wanted to sell the D&D IP to Larian, but Larian didn't have enough money, so they kicked it up to Tencent who is one of their investors.

Does that also include Dark Sun? If so, I want Larian to make a new Dark Sun game. And yes, with slavery and racism and all. How fucking Dark Sun is supposed to be.

Fbh

1clHKlt.jpg

Ultimately though, whatever ensures Larian has continued access to it is the better choice.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
from the article :

"Last year, the release of “Baldur’s Gate 3” by Larian Studios was both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. It not only won six TGA awards, including Game of the Year but also generated revenue of $657 million, surpassing the Harry Potter IP adaptation game “Hogwarts Legacy,” making it the most profitable PC exclusive game last year."

Guilty_AI

Me too, but at least with Tencent it increases the chances of future D&D games by Larian.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How reliable is the TC's source? I've never heard of them before and I'm not seeing this anywhere else.
It's starting to make the rounds into more traditional nerd media sites. Seems they all reference back to OPs article though, so difficult to say since there is no official word from either company yet.

phant0m

D&D is doing poorly? What? Isn’t it having a huge revival right now with BG3 and the successful movie last year?

vkbest

from the article :

"Last year, the release of “Baldur’s Gate 3” by Larian Studios was both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. It not only won six TGA awards, including Game of the Year but also generated revenue of $657 million, surpassing the Harry Potter IP adaptation game “Hogwarts Legacy,” making it the most profitable PC exclusive game last year."
PC exclusive game?

Mowcno

from the article :

This is based on this image and is VGinsights estimates of revenue on steam only for new games launched in 2023.

ig2vvEP.jpg

They have made some notable adjustments to their estimates since this was made. For example Starfield is now only estimated as $198.9 million with an extra month of sales.

Last edited:

tkscz

D&D should have had amazing success because of the pandemic and Critical Roll boosting it's attention, but unfortunately it got the attention of the REEEEEE crowd. People known for coming into hobbies, taking them over, forcing them into their taste, but then not buying anything even after the company shifts everything to meet their needs. Then these companies, out of desperation, will continue to bend to the people who won't buy their products, and shun the people who once did. When the REEEEEE crowd moves on, the company is left with nothing and usually sells to a Chinese company and that can go either way.

D&D sales have been steadily declining as the people their focus on tend to watch others play it, but not want to get into themselves. They want to have the exact same adventures and moments they see on Twitch without realizing most of that is setup and scripted. Then they want the game to change from being about adventure to being about slice of life, so many many books change to reflect that.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Since when was China not about censorship?

Yeah, this is not really something to be excited about. But at the same time, the current owners have been hard at work making the property worse, so it's something of a "pick your poison" situation.

Boy the headline is misleading.
A Tencent IEG (Interactive Entertainment Group) insider revealed that Tencent, represented by its overseas business department IEG Global, is in negotiations with the aim of acquiring a series of rights including the adaptation rights for electronic games such as DND.

CosmicComet

I'm 100% fine with China owning this IP.

Maybe they will roll back all shitty woke retcons to the lore and general direction that American owners have applied to it.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
This is based on this image and is VGinsights estimates of revenue on steam only for new games launched in 2023.

ig2vvEP.jpg

They have made some notable adjustments to their estimates since this was made. For example Starfield is now only estimated as $198.9 million with an extra month of sales.
Thanks for sharing, didn't known VGinsights.

If Sven Vincke gain some insight to the future of D&D I'm ok with it, Hasbro hasn't been good with this awesome IP. But Tencent ? who knows ?

Elbereth

Drizzt eh?

Careful what you wish for.

If he becomes more than just a semi-obscure but beloved cult character you run the risk of 'modernizing' and ruining him with current year shit writing tropes and insertions.
As long as Salvatore is writing the books, the character can’t be ruined by other mediums. I actually met, and had a very in-depth discussion about the character with R.A…. It’s safe to say that Drizzt will remain true, no matter what happens with WotC.

Top Bottom