• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a games story ever made you cry before?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Many times. I'd go so far as to say that if a game hasn't made you cry, you are either a monster or you've never played any sort of game with a deep narrative.

Multiple times, no shame in saying it.

Most recently in Like a Dragon Gaiden. Had to follow up with my man Kiryu.

That scene is so fucking human, specially if you've played all the previous games.

Sad Kazuma Kiryu GIF by Xbox

This scene got me too. I wasn't crying as much as Kiryu there, but damn. And I say this as someone who hasn't played any of the previous games besides Like A Dragon, the one with Ichiban.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There were some parts in The Last of Us that were emotional. Also Life is Strange and Life is Strange: Before the Storm. To name a few.

Last edited:

skit_data

TLOU1 of course

I also find the scene when Geralt finds Ciri after all that searching very emotionally heavy and the music in that bit is stellar.

Edit: Yes, the bit in Ghost of Tsushima posted above also got me

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Many times. To the Moon made me cry the absolute hardest over any other. Steins;Gate also made me sob a bit during the Mayuri ending. FFXVI, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XIV... Final Fantasy makes me cry often.
Came here to say To The Moon. I should replay that again soon. So good. Have you done any of the other Freebird ones? Are they as good?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Came here to say To The Moon. I should replay that again soon. So good. Have you done any of the other Freebird ones? Are they as good?
They are all wonderful, but they each hit different emotional notes than the first title.

simpatico

Video game stories have never done it for me. But hell most stories dont. I watch very few movies and next to zero TV shows. Fallout New Vegas is my favorite. It’s hard to even call it a story because there are so many divergent outcomes.

kyussman

Nope,never......not even close.I'm not a psychologist but there must be something about a video game being graphics that prevents me from engaging too emotionally with it.I've no issue with movies where I can see real humans even though I of course still know it's not real.....perhaps my brain is weird,lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The ending cut scene in Phantasy Star 4 has a bittersweet story where the mission is done and most of the characters goes their own way.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
When my horse died in RDR2, I felt that.
Yeah, when my white Arabian died, I got choked up. Loved that horse and he was hard as hell to catch ad train.

Ori and the Blind Forrest.
In Ori and the Will O' the Wisps, I got choked up when Ku got hurt.

In Halo Reach the first 6 or 7 times I played it; I was choked up or cried from the opening music until Lone Wolf. I've played Reach so many times now I mostly just get choked up at the most emotional parts.

E-Cat

I am physically incapable of crying in any context. I'm not proud of it or anything, it's just the way it is. I'm emotionally dead.

Synless

Tons of times. My wife always gives me insane shit as I shed tears for almost nothing in real life, but movies and games can get me going.

FFX’s ending is one that always gets me, I know there have been many others… I just can’t recall at the moment.

Not a game, but that whole fucking sequence with Snape in Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2 gets me every time too.

Cry? No. But I'm just someone who has never cried at media be it games movies books etc.

But yes there has been games that made me feel extreme emotion.

Also many games others consider great who's stories just do nothing for me.

Some Games that really resonated with me emotionally:

1. TLOU
2. TLOU Part 2
3. RDR2
4. Walking Dead season 1 by Telltale
5. God of War 4
6. BioShock Infinite
7. Life is Strange

Games that others seem to include but didn't do it for me:

1. God or War Ragnarok (For me the story was a major disappointment. They went as safe as possible imo and it just didn't continue on the magic the previous game had)
2. The Walking Dead season 2,3 etc etc
3. Life is Strange 2 (Could not relate to that game one bit. Younger brother especially was just so grating)

Probably forgetting a few id like to mention but those are the ones that come to mind. With TLOU series and RDR2 having the biggest impact on me.

Comandr

Multiple times, no shame in saying it.

Most recently in Like a Dragon Gaiden. Had to follow up with my man Kiryu.

That scene is so fucking human, specially if you've played all the previous games.

Sad Kazuma Kiryu GIF by Xbox
Shit this scene got me good. It was my last game in a replaying of the full series leading up to 8. The player always sees the tough, hard edge Kiryu. Always ready to make the sacrifice; do what needs to be done. But god damn. Deep down, he's just a guy that misses his kids.

Tahj

More often the older I get. Witcher III there was a few times, Ori & the Blind Forest, & perhaps the strangest-sounding, the 4th DLC of Borderlands 3 w/ Krieg.

AngelMuffin

Sure, why should a video game’s story be any different than movies, books, music, etc.?

Having said that, no I haven’t wept over a video game story, at least not yet at least.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This game has a lot of problems. But man did they put everything they had in the last cutscenes after
Noctis tells his friends to walk tall, and then summons all the past kings(including his dad) to murder suicide him into the shadow realm so he could make sure Ardyn was dead dead. And then the dream happy ending??
Sloppy storytelling with a top tier ending

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
"The Tower" ending of Cyberpunk 2077.

When V gets on the FIA AV and has a short conversation with Johnny, in which Johnny says "im just glad i got to call you my friend", and ends with "Goodnight, Vincent, today was a good day." And further on, in the epilogue, when the camera finally cuts to third person, to show V accepting his fate of becoming 'just another face in the crowd' and walks away with a small smile on his face.......

it got me like.....
Matthew Mcconaughey Crying GIF

Top Bottom