• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard boots 10 admitted high schoolers due to their god-awful memes

Afrikan

Oh My God my eyes have been deceiving me.
Since this morning I have read this thread title totally wrong everytime I've come across it.

Let's throw them in prison for the rest of their lives. That'll teach these shits!

Why rescind their admission, though? Perhaps a proper education can mold their minds better.

When did I say that? Just keep the scope to Harvard.
You've done this playing innocent thing multiple times in this thread. I'm really starting to question if you are actually a troll. At most people have said it's good that Harvard, just a single school, rescinded their admission yet your response is always to blow it up and act as if people glad it happened are calling for them to go to jail, or that going elsewhere won't ensure them a proper education

Deepwater

The only part of society responsible for socially reprogramming these kids are their parents, and it seems like they did a shitty job at it so far.

Slayven

Sigh, fine, let's just kill them then. Forget trying to make them better people or trying to understand why they became that way. They must have been born that way. They are horrible people and were born horrible people. /s.

Why is this different than the republicans who want to ban muslims and say they are evil?

Who said that? I just want to know teenagers/young adults must be taught basic shit like right and wrong? And why is it society's job for that, shouldn't their parents do that.

Some of the messages joked that abusing children was sexually arousing, while others had punchlines directed at specific ethnic or racial groups. One called the hypothetical hanging of a Mexican child “piñata time.”

This shit isn't rocket science.

Some of the messages joked that abusing children was sexually arousing, while others had punchlines directed at specific ethnic or racial groups. One called the hypothetical hanging of a Mexican child “piñata time.”
infantilize this shit is dangerous as i already shown

E92 M3

You've done this playing innocent thing multiple times in this thread. I'm really starting to question if you are actually a troll. At most people have said it's good that Harvard, just a single school, rescinded their admission yet your response is always to blow it up and act as if people glad it happened are calling for them to go to jail, or that going elsewhere won't ensure them a proper education

You seem to have trouble comprehending that I am keeping the convo to Harvard, not other schools that will accept them.

"I don't like (or maybe understand) what you're saying, so therefore you're a troll."

You seem to have trouble comprehending that I am keeping the convo to Harvard, not other schools that will accept them.

"I don't like (or maybe understand) what you're saying, so therefore you're a troll."

And you don't seem to understand that not getting into Harvard isn't the end of the world. You're the only one arguing under the assumption that it's Harvard or nothing, therefore justifying hyperbolizing how big a deal this is, when, in actuality, it's just one school out of a number they probably got into

Cyan

Banned
College admissions is already an essentially dehumanizing process. The admissions office doesn't care about you as a person, your individual future, or your education. It wants to select the people who already, independent of where they go, have the highest chance of being successful, and of enhancing or maintaining the prestige and overall reputation of the university. There are some easy metrics for this. Grades. Standardized test scores. Can you put sentences and paragraphs together in a coherent manner. If you don't have those things already, they don't want you. Whether that's fair to you personally, whether you might have some excuse for the lack of those things, doesn't really enter into it.

Here's another easy metric. Are you dumb enough to get yourself caught doing dumb stuff. Yes? Then hey, that's a red flag that maybe you aren't going to help the prestige and reputation of the school. Bye.

Is this fair? Not really. It's dehumanizing, it doesn't take individual circumstances into account, it isn't nearly as meritocratic as we like to imagine. It's also hard to see a different system taking root given the incentives in play. This is what we've got.

Of course Harvard dropped these kids. It's easier to reject an applicant than rescind an admit, and it's far far easier to rescind an admit than expel someone. Of course they dropped them now before it became exponentially more difficult to do anything.

And really, given that their behavior was exposed like this, this was the best outcome these kids could expect. Their names weren't publicly released, so no one is going to chase after them on social media, nobody is going to blacklist them, they can still go to their second choice of prestigious ivy league private university.

I don't hope these kids fail. I hope they go on to learn to be decent human beings, and then have good lives in which they are kind and decent and try to help those who are less fortunate than themselves. But it's hard to see Harvard as having done anything wrong here.

E92 M3

And you don't seem to understand that not getting into Harvard isn't the end of the world. You're the only one arguing under the assumption that it's Harvard or nothing, therefore justifying hyperbolizing how big a deal this is, when, in actuality, it's just one school out of a number they probably got into

I know it's not the end of the world, obviously. When did I say it was? It seems like you were interested in thread where everyone would just say "good" for 7 pages.

I don't agree and therefore you said I was a troll.

Rather transparent, my son.

These kids were dumb, but Harvard also flexed hard to avoid bad press.

It is what it is.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They were accepted for a reason, and a lot of teenagers are idiots. Stupid memes aren't the end of the world.

Do you know what Harvard material is?

I believe Harvard's job is to educate... lol

image.php

I'm less inclined to defend this because of the seriousness of the subjects being joked about.

Harvard has every right to toss them, you don't joke about sexually abusing or killing kids, but I wouldn't have been upset if they were allowed to stay. Our culture has definitely lost the concept of "second chances," much to its detriment.

Lesath

Some kids played too much video games in high school and fuck up a test or two and doesn't get into Harvard, but nobody sheds a tear.

Some kids post shit glorifying racism and child abuse, and they deserve another chance.

Tigress

Who said that? I just want to know teenagers/young adults must be taught basic shit like right and wrong? And why is it society's job for that, shouldn't their parents do that.

Yeah, but their parents might not. After all, if their parents are racist, do you really think their parents are going to do that?

I just think it's worth it to give them a chance to discover their parents are wrong. I mean if their whole life they live in a bubble (which their parents probably encourage), it's not surprising when they become like their parents. Sure, some kids break out of it and great for them. Many do when they leave and discover that what they took for granted is viewed badly by people. Some even do before having exposure to that.

And well, society is very influential so yes, society is part of how people view things. There's a lot to be said in using peer pressure to encourage people one way or the other (for good or for bad). We're social animals so society will have an affect on us. So if the parents fail their job, society can still change that. I mean I grew up with parents who are racist (not overtly and they'd never say they were for slavery or segregation but they do stuff like bitch about how Atlanta is run by blacks and if you are white you are oppressed in the city. Or more recently my stepmom let slip how she was dismayed they rearranged the school district cause more blacks were now in their district and they would hold the rest of the kids back. She tried to justify it by saying they didn't get as good education but at one point she let slip that they weren't as smart. And honestly, I think she justifies not just to make herself look a better person, but to lie to herself that it's not racist. I don't think she wants to be racist). Granted I don't think I'm not unscathed by growing up with them. But thankfully for a liberal school (a compromise between me not wanting to go to catholic school and my parents not wanting public school) and outside influences I learned that it was wrong (oh, and my dad constantly complained about the liberal school brainwashing me). Saddest thing is, my dad isn't even white. He immigrated here from the Philipinnes. But I'm pretty sure he identifies with white (I joke he's forgetten he isn't white).

College admissions is already an essentially dehumanizing process. The admissions office doesn't care about you as a person, your individual future, or your education. It wants to select the people who already, independent of where they go, have the highest chance of being successful, and of enhancing or maintaining the prestige and overall reputation of the university. There are some easy metrics for this. Grades. Standardized test scores. Can you put sentences and paragraphs together in a coherent manner. If you don't have those things already, they don't want you. Whether that's fair to you personally, whether you might have some excuse for the lack of those things, doesn't really enter into it.

Here's another easy metric. Are you dumb enough to get yourself caught doing dumb stuff. Yes? Then hey, that's a red flag that maybe you aren't going to help the prestige and reputation of the school. Bye.

Is this fair? Not really. It's dehumanizing, it doesn't take individual circumstances into account, it isn't nearly as meritocratic as we like to imagine. It's also hard to see a different system taking root given the incentives in play. This is what we've got.

Of course Harvard dropped these kids. It's easier to reject an applicant than rescind an admit, and it's far far easier to rescind an admit than expel someone. Of course they dropped them now before it became exponentially more difficult to do anything.

And really, given that their behavior was exposed like this, this was the best outcome these kids could expect. Their names weren't publicly released, so no one is going to chase after them on social media, nobody is going to blacklist them, they can still go to their second choice of prestigious ivy league private university.

I don't hope these kids fail. I hope they go on to learn to be decent human beings, and then have good lives in which they are kind and decent and try to help those who are less fortunate than themselves. But it's hard to see Harvard as having done anything wrong here.
I like this point of view. Recognizing that it's not really fair, but it is what it is, hopefully the kids learn a little bit and go on to be successful.

Far more level-headed than the endless "lol fuck em" posts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They're just 18 year old kids.

No, they're not, they were admitted to Harvard and really should have known better than to joke about such shitty things, whether they "meant it" or not. I'm sure most of them will still lead successful lives, but hopefully they take this lesson to heart.

Some people here sure love to pull out an olive breach to these hateful shits to mend their ways, and for us on the "tolerant left" to educate them for free on why they're wrong in debates. If you're getting accepted to Harvard, you should be educated enough to understand racist and other bigoted garbage is not only bad but you shouldn't participate in it. You're past the point of no return at this stage in your life, gotta help yourself come to those conclusions, not coming from us.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know it's not the end of the world, obviously. When did I say it was? It seems like you were interested in thread where everyone would just say "good" for 7 pages.

I don't agree and therefore you said I was a troll.

Rather transparent, my son.

These kids were dumb, but Harvard also flexed hard to avoid bad press.

It is what it is.

I'm glad they flexed to avoid bad press instead of letting shitty behavior off the hook for "reasons.

besada

Banned
Hopefully they've learned a powerful lesson, and will continue on in their lives mindful of it. Kudos to Harvard for being rid of them but not exposing their names. It's a reasonable punishment.

Pretty dumb but I'd honestly rather see this used as a teachable moment and let them know they've used up their first and only chance.

pigeon

Banned
Pretty dumb but I'd honestly rather see this used as a teachable moment and let them know they've used up their first and only chance.

That is a good description of what not getting to go to Harvard is. It's not like they don't have a backup school.

As part of Harvard's "merit-based" admissions, as you put it, they should be able to consider the character, maturity, and ethics of the applicant. I don't see how free speech has any bearing on this issue at all. Harassment isn't protected under the free speech in any of its forms. And the institution should be able to revoke admission to a student who commits immoral acts.

Even if Harvard were a public school, I don't agree with your assessment.
Yeah, free speech means the government cannot deprive you of your inalienable rights because of your words, but going to university is not a right, it's a privilege. This is like making Holocaust jokes to a Jew and expect them to be your friend because, hey, freedom of speech.
The Uni gives a set of rules for enjoying the privilege of attending, one of them is not to be an alt-right asshole. You don't comply, you are out. Same way with a job, or a friendship, or anything.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm sure there are 10 better applicants to pick from. The invention social media has been a great screening for undesirables.

pastrami

Why is this different than the republicans who want to ban muslims and say they are evil?

Do you know how stupid this analogy is? Harvard isn't banning all teenagers/young adults from their campus because some teenagers/young adults are into racist memes.

Kinyou

It's not like their future is ruined now. When you can get a spot at Harvard I'm sure you have a bunch of other opportunities as well. This way they hopefully learned a lesson

The Lamp

I like this point of view. Recognizing that it's not really fair, but it is what it is, hopefully the kids learn a little bit and go on to be successful.

Far more level-headed than the endless "lol fuck em" posts.

The "fuck em" posts often come from people who fortunately have no idea what it's actually like to have your life ruined, to be humiliated publicly in the cyber age, or to be unable to get a job because of things committed as a teenager.

Monocle

Great news for those students: In light of recent events, which may or may not include a certain high profile election, each and every one of them is a viable presidential candidate!

Take heart, vile miscreants and bigoted bullies: forget private chats. If you act as loathsome as possible in public, millions of Americans are ready and willing embrace you!

I don't get it. Back in my day we kept our 4chan humor to 4chan where it belonged. To 4chan.

Putting your name and face next to that shit is just woefully stupid.

At college age, you're old enough to where you are who you are. You may make more mistakes, but if you do bigoted, assholish things then you're pretty much an asshole. Why in the world people who face appropriate consequences for being dicks are somehow deserving of my sympathy is beyond me.

They're a private university and can kick people out for almost any reason they deem acceptable, but being an edgelord dummy in a private Facebook group is kind of a flimsy one.
Is that what we're calling the kinds of things they joked about these days?

Back in my day we'd say something was xenophobic, racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and, well, joking about children being abused isn't exactly hilarious. I'm glad that we've now got 'edgelord' to take away from how disgusting the 'jokes' are.

I get that there's a 'it's just a joke, you should be able to joke about anything, freedom of speech!!!' contingent on this argument but its clearly not acceptable for a student to do.

The "fuck em" posts often come from people who fortunately have no idea what it's actually like to have your life ruined, to be humiliated publicly in the cyber age, or to be unable to get a job because of things committed as a teenager.

Maybe if I thought being discreetly booted from their first choice college for posting vile images and jokes in a chat with their prestigious school's name attached was at all the same. This isn't them suffering some unfair punishment for no reason, it is a direct result of their actions, and because Harvard handled it fairly quietly without releasing their names the most they're going to get is an earful from their parents and move on to their next college of choice. Their lives aren't ruined, they were not publicly humiliated, and in the future they will be able to get jobs.

jaekeem

?

Their names were withheld. They aren't going to have their lives ruined.

Have you seen the contents of the memes they were posting?

vivid rape jokes. images suggesting the death of ethnic babies.

It was fucked up. Letting them in would have been a stain on Harvard's reputation.

ColdPizza

Banned
Sigh, fine, let's just kill them then. Forget trying to make them better people or trying to understand why they became that way. They must have been born that way. They are horrible people and were born horrible people. /s.

They can go to and apply to other schools, just not Harvard. I think this is a lesson that could ultimately turn them into better people, but only if they learn from this mistake. I'm curious if at the very least Harvard won't make their names public.

Cyframe

I don't have any sympathy for these young adults. I don't have any sympathy because I can only imagine how they interacted with students of color in HS and how they'd interact with students of color on campus. Students of color deserve better than a potential of someone magically becoming not racist.

If these adults (not children, adults) deserve a chance for education and perhaps becoming a better person how would you ensure that students of color aren't harmed detrimentally by their behavior? Racism creates a hostile environment with its effects and steals away opportunities from those who are victims are racialized abuse. With that in mind, these kids aren't going to prison they can go to any other school, they aren't really harmed in the long run. While their presence could harm students of color and other ethnoreligious groups.

It's not student's job to tolerate racism on the off chance someone becomes not racist. If they learned something from this maybe at the next school they go to, they'll take African American studies or Jewish studies or something. They'll be fine.

Top Bottom