• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard boots 10 admitted high schoolers due to their god-awful memes

Dali

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Lol, I don't get why this whole edginess culture is even a thing
Me neither.

Maybe it's an attention/forbidden thing, like how some kids have fun swearing a lot and giggling about it when their parents aren't in earshot. Except swearing isn't as edgy as it used to be, so maybe kids these days turn to this shit instead?

Me neither.

Maybe it's an attention/forbidden thing, like how some kids have fun swearing a lot and giggling about it when their parents aren't in earshot. Except swearing isn't as edgy as it used to be, so maybe kids these days turn to this shit instead?

I believe this is accurate. The ante has been upped.

And didn't communicate in media that are easily and automatically preserved like Facebook and twitter.

Older gens said the same kind of things just none of it was recorded.
Yep. Did nobody ever see an illicit copy of "truly tasteless jokes" passed around in the 80s or 90s? I agree with the consequences, but not the "kids now are different" takes.

Eh.

Seems weird to me that everyone's all "yay! fuck these kids." when this type of humor is pretty much the norm nowadays, for better or worse. Edgy cynical humor is literally 90% of high school humor. We were all high schoolers at one point, yes?

Just look at reddit. Pretty much every day you can find an edgy meme on the front page. I guarantee Harvard is filled with people already who browse reddit and laugh at them. Millions of the kids who find humor in those memes get into colleges everyday, all because they get their dose of edginess on reddit rather than facebook.

Really odd to me to be all "hope this follows them, fuck 'em for life" all because they laughed at some edgy memes in high school.

Eh.

Seems weird to me that everyone's all "yay! fuck these kids." when this type of humor is pretty much the norm nowadays, for better or worse. Edgy cynical humor is literally 90% of high school humor. We were all high schoolers at one point, yes?

Just look at reddit. Pretty much every day you can find an edgy meme on the front page. I guarantee Harvard is filled with people already who browse reddit and laugh at them. Millions of the kids who find humor in those memes get into colleges everyday, all because they get their dose of edginess on reddit rather than facebook.

Really odd to me to be all "hope this follows them, fuck 'em for life" all because they laughed at some edgy memes in high school.

Dude that does not make it right. Examples need to be set and this type of behavior should be punished.

Alucrid

Banned
Eh.

my edgy teenage humor was about dick cheney shooting a guy in the face. it was not about any of this

In the group, students sent each other memes and other images mocking sexual assault, the Holocaust, and the deaths of children, according to screenshots of the chat obtained by The Crimson. Some of the messages joked that abusing children was sexually arousing, while others had punchlines directed at specific ethnic or racial groups. One called the hypothetical hanging of a Mexican child “piñata time.”

Slayven

Eh.

Reddit shouldn't be the standard for life. There is edgy cynical humor and there is psychotic shit.

tokkun

Lol, I don't get why this whole edginess culture is even a thing

Really? Seems like experimenting with flouting societal conventions and going into shock material is a pretty normal thing for teenagers to do.

It tends to be a reaction against whatever is going on in the culture at the time. So when I was a kid in the 80s during the Culture Wars, kids would act out by listening to death metal bands with satanic imagery.

Eh.

At know point in my high school life, when people were cracking race jokes around me and gay jokes at my gay friends, did I ever think of any of their "humor as "edgy."

It was hate speech. That's all it ever was.

Fuck these kids.

Alright.

So the topic of the thread is a closed case, then?
Are you the goddamned thread police? Do you not imagine that this situation raises other interesting and related questions that can also be discussed by interested people, and that you will be just fine if you'd rather not comment? Jesus, you'd think the servers can only hold a dozen posts, and we are all keeping you from addressing what you'd like to talk about by having an interesting, related, parallel discussion.

eggandI

Banned
Eh.

Yeah I'm sure they'll grow out of it just like all those /pol/ edgelords grew out of it too

Nightbird

When the memes are too dank (which my phone funnily auto-corrected to "dark") for university 😎

But seriously, if your humor relies on being offensive, you've got a problem.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Eh.

A lot of my friends in high school used to do some super immature and gross jokes, but we have never stooped to the level of regularly making fun of dead, sexually abused children on a constant basis. And even if such behavior is a common occurrence of that age group in certain areas, that does not make it acceptable whatsoever and people should learn that through consequences, especially now more than ever.

Eh.

They were all posting the racist and offensive memes themselves in this Harvard group chat, daring each other to be the edgiest to get into the R-rated meme group.

But some members soon suggested forming ”a more R-rated" meme chat, according to Cassandra Luca '21, who joined the first meme group but not the second, and who also said her offer was not revoked.

Luca said the founders of the ”dark" group chat demanded that students post provocative memes in the larger messaging group before allowing them to join the splinter group.

”They were like, ‘Oh, you have to send a meme to the original group to prove that you could get into the new one,'" Luca said. ”This was a just-because-we-got-into-Harvard-doesn't-mean-we-can't-have-fun kind of thing."​

If there was a Havard reddit where they did all this, that would have been investigated, too.

I'm not sure when mocking sexual assault, dead children, Holocaust, and racist memes were part of high school, though, maybe I didn't go to high school when you did. Just because many people have done bad stuff, doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences.

Tigress

On one hand, good, I like to see consequences.

On the other hand, maybe it's a chance to get them exposed to more liberal ideas and educate them. I wonder what kind of people those students are surrounded by. All this does is keep them in their bubble. And honestly, I do think if you want to change people you have to expose them to people with different ideas.

(of course conversely one could argue they could spread their poison...)

Eh.

I'm convince GAF is filled with psycho and sociopaths. No, we made dumb jokes in highschool, but neither me nor any of my friends have ever made jokes about hanging Mexicans and calling it Pinata Time, or anything close to that

On one hand, good, I like to see consequences.

On the other hand, maybe it's a chance to get them exposed to more liberal ideas and educate them. I wonder what kind of people those students are surrounded by. All this does is keep them in their bubble. And honestly, I do think if you want to change people you have to expose them to people with different ideas.

(of course conversely one could argue they could spread their poison...)

Really? Because they didn't get into Harvard? You think the kind of student who gets accepted to Harvard has that as their only acceptance? This isn't life ending...unless Harvard was their only goal in life

Eh.

This is a valuable life lesson for them: their """amazing""" edgy humor isn't welcome absolutely everywhere. Some places have standards. The world is not 4chan.

Ponn

Banned
Eh.

I get really tired of this shitty defense of "We were all shitty high schoolers and did the same shitty stuff as kids"

No, no we all didn't.

Stop projecting yourselves and trying to lump everyone into the same shitty piles as yourselves to make yourselves feel better. There are plenty of students who don't enjoy or partake in bigotry, racism, sexism or having a good chuckle at dead children and passing pictures around of them. Don't try and normalize that shit, its sick and disgusting. Reddit is not the fucking barometer for what is normal for society.

Really? Seems like experimenting with flouting societal conventions and going into shock material is a pretty normal thing for teenagers to do.

It tends to be a reaction against whatever is going on in the culture at the time. So when I was a kid in the 80s during the Culture Wars, kids would act out by listening to death metal bands with satanic imagery.

You see no qualitative difference between death metal and racism, sexism and mocking the holocaust?

Eh.

This falls heavily under 'worse' when edgy humour is aimed around xenophobic and sexually predatory jokes. If edginess is about making light of child abuse, then I'm as lame as can be.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
There's dabbling in saying/doing stupid shit in high school, and then there's deliberately diving deeper and being as harmful, offensive and obnoxious as possible, despite all reason.

This is the latter, and that behavior has consequences in the real world. I'm not saying these kids' lives need to be ruined (being rejected from Harvard is definitely not life-ruining), but they do deserve to get figuratively smacked over the head for it.

reckless

Lol.

Wish we could hear the conversations between them and their families when they gotta explain they can't go to Harvard over that shit.

Top Bottom