• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday!! 9/9/99 <sniff sniff>

I miss my Dreamcast. :( Am I the only one who thinks of the XBOX as it's successor? Hell the "Duke" controller felt like a bigger version of the DC controller.

Miguel

ManaByte said:
playstation0ti.jpg

10th Anniversary in the US.
WINNER

Sjoerd

VisionaryQuest0 said:
I miss my Dreamcast. :( Am I the only one who thinks of the XBOX as it's successor? Hell the "Duke" controller felt like a bigger version of the DC controller.

Well I thought like that for about about half a year because of the great first sega games.

After that first halft year? NO

Jeffahn

civilstrife said:
Its hard to believe that the dreamcast was originally intended to last this whole generation. I honestly wonder what things would be like if games were still developped for it.

No, the DC's successor was due at the end of 2003, end of 2004 at the latest. The DC still had plenty to offer in terms of graphical performance -without having to worry about image quality.

suikodan

My first and last Sega console.

I never regretted buying it.

One of its best highlights for me was PSO.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
B000040OEH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I wasn't that much into gaming when this came out. I walked through an entire mall, picked it up, and when I walked out of the mall you could have asked me what the Dreamcast was and I wouldn't be able to tell you. :lol

SaitoH

VisionaryQuest0 said:

I don't consider the Xbox to be a DC successor at all. Not even sure why people feel the need to label something as a "successor" in the first place. Dreamcast was a good system, now it's gone.

Birbo

Picked up my launch DC late in the afternoon after I got off the train from school. Have never been so pumped for a system launch as I was for that one. Rest in peace old friend.

Despite OPM giving Midway Arcade Treasures 3 a 3/10 rating, I'll celebrate DC's anniversary with MAT3's port of the best DC game ever, Hydro Thunder.

Also, it's time to wear the 9/9/99 IT'S THINKING shirt again.

Sapiens

FUCK YEAH! I bought almost every Sega release on this thing.

Does it bother some of you that I bought this system on 9-10-1999? Long story.

Buying Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Skies of Arcade in the span of like, two weeks, was fucking sweet. Especially when my PS2 had nothing worth playing (besides DVDs).

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
RevenantKioku said:
B000040OEH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I wasn't that much into gaming when this came out. I walked through an entire mall, picked it up, and when I walked out of the mall you could have asked me what the Dreamcast was and I wouldn't be able to tell you. :lol

Rinoa looked just like one of the girls I went to high school with. I would've cosplayed with her anyday.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Shed no tears for the Dreamcast, as we were fortunate to bask in the glory of some of the greatest and most creative games ever.

And it's not like mine went away anywhere. It's still there under my TV with all the other systems.

I'm still playing it today, great machine with some fantastic shooters. The only thing it was missing was Winning Eleven or ISS, that would have made it the perfect console, for me at least

Jeffahn

No, the DC's successor was due at the end of 2003, end of 2004 at the latest.

dark10x said:
I'd like proof of this.

It's a retro-hypothesis; I can't prove it in absolute terms, though the idea that Sega intended the DC to remain as their primary console until the present is just unlikely.

I had a handful of games for DC, but I only ever played Toy Commander. One of the best games I've ever played. Any chance of a sequel or anything? I don't know who dev'd it or who owns the IP.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Guy LeDouche said:
I had a handful of games for DC, but I only ever played Toy Commander. One of the best games I've ever played. Any chance of a sequel or anything? I don't know who dev'd it or who owns the IP.
Toy Commander WAS a lot of fun!

It was developed by "No Cliche", who was originally known as Adeline Software. They were the creators of the AWESOME Little Big Adventure/Twinsen games. They were also working on Agartha, but unfortunately, it was killed off. I believe Sega literally dropped No Cliche and left them with nothing, which caused them to disband. I know the DC was dying, but I wish they had chosen to take it elsewhere rather than just drop it like that. :(

D-X

Guy LeDouche said:

Well they did do Toy RACER and the summer and xmas demos if they count

AssMan

Banned
Happy Birthday Final Fantasy 8? YEAH! Congradulations on being the best FF game, not to mention best selling FF game ever!

jiggle

AssMan said:
Happy Birthday Final Fantasy 8? YEAH! Congradulations on being the best FF game

Indeed.

best rpg ever.

As for DC, it makes me sad that there is still no news of a sequel. :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yay! It took 10 days offa Ryo's life but I made it past the stupid warehouse sneaking part! :lol Also am closer ta having back my all-stuff unlocked MvsC2 save again. Nows I just need ta crazyyyy taxi an the day will be complete.

Jason

Lindsay said:
Yay! It took 10 days offa Ryo's life but I made it past the stupid warehouse sneaking part! :lol

I had trouble with that part too. I had him sneaking around on Christmas. :lol

Top Bottom