• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Fuchsdh

Halo 3 has always been the weakest game in the series from a plot standpoint for me, and I suppose it's not too surprising as it was basically the final two missions that woulda' been Halo 2, stretched out into a full game. In addition, it's just got some really weird pacing issues within the cutscenes from a filmmaking standpoint. Miranda's death just made he feel stupid to me instead of desperate, and then of course there's the great "oh shit here's the Gravemind, but the Chief and Arbiter are fighting side-by-side—oh, he leaves? And we just trudge back the way we came. Oh. Ok."

It's basically a game you forgive for literally not advancing the plot at all for its first half of the game because it's really fun.

Halo 4's story I think undercut itself because the final cutscene & mechanicals felt rushed (the fact that we get a slow fade to white after the QTE certainly doesn't make it feel like Cortana saved us from a bomb blowing up in our face, for instance—in retrospect fans spent a lot of wasted time spinning their wheels about the last cutscene when it was really about a failure of 343 conveying info instead of some deliberate mystery) and also because of 343's really atrocious record of visual consistency. How much more powerful would that last cutscene be if the Chief is discarding the armor we've seen him in for nearly a decade, and then he shows up with the 343 MkVI in Halo 5?

The Assembly is such an interesting concept, and before Halo 5 I didn't think in a million years they would be brought back. But now? It's very likely.

The issue with the Assembly for me has always been it's a sort of plot twist that has some disturbing implications for the entire universe in that it robs pretty much everyone of their agency. "No, actually a bunch of AIs have been pulling the strings."

I'm actually happy if they either A) pretend the Assembly was just the product of a crazy dude on Reach, and/or B) the Assembly got nuked when Reach fell, and before they could ever persist in slipspace as seemed their ultimate goal. After all, if they did survive, why did they not reveal themselves to humanity as they promised?

Cortana's AI rebellion feels much more organic in terms of how it presents itself as an overt, understandable force, and they could still use some similar thematic elements with it.

Mostly I'm really hopeful the status quo shakeup can lead to diversity in alien makeup, like Wahrer was saying. Why can't we get a Jackal faction like described in the books, and just make the various combat roles all Jackals (and see some of the classic bird designs too?) Wouldn't it be cool to get elite Grunt soldiers with energy shields? Now that it seems 343 has really offered the end of the Covenant, I'm really hoping they don't renege on the possibilities they've offered just because everyone's afraid of departing too much from Bungie's game design tenets with enemies.

I hope we get to see Chol Vol in the games at some point, considering she didn't technically die in Kilo-Five. "Skirmisher Shipmistress who stole Midship" is a pretty amazing concept for a character.

I want some new books.. man we got SPOILED last year with content.

I was drunk with Halo all 2015, and now I'm massively hungover, and yet I'm still jonesing for more..

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally finished Broken Circle,.I really enjoyed it. For some reason I was expecting it to be weak. I found the backstory to the covenant events during Halo 2 and 3 interesting as well as the Sanghelli colony.

Fuchsdh

Recently discover the Forward Unto Dawn podcast. It has been fun going back and listening to the older casts.

Glad you enjoyed it! We're going to be recording a new episode tonight, actually, and should hopefully have it out by week's end.

On more long-term lore news, in case people missed it the ripped pages from Halsey's Journal got published in the last Cannon Fodder:
https://content.halocdn.com/media/D...edleaves-6691217d69c54707b5a0fd97d0b25e77.pdf

Definitely interesting that it's gotten revealed at this point, although linkages to current lore/the Domain/cure for rampancy still remain shrouded.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Glad you enjoyed it! We're going to be recording a new episode tonight, actually, and should hopefully have it out by week's end.

On more long-term lore news, in case people missed it the ripped pages from Halsey's Journal got published in the last Cannon Fodder:
https://content.halocdn.com/media/D...edleaves-6691217d69c54707b5a0fd97d0b25e77.pdf

Definitely interesting that it's gotten revealed at this point, although linkages to current lore/the Domain/cure for rampancy still remain shrouded.

Awesome. I've been super craving Halo lore stuff, haha. Don't think I new that was your podcast. It is interesting listening to these old podcasts and hearing some of the speculation.

I missed it.. so I'm guessing others did too..

Last weeks Halo Canon Fodder had a really cool lore tidbit...

*cough*

Halsey's missing pages from the journal!

I guess spoiler tag it?

So it looks like she did create an AI in slipspace after all!

Other intellects "in the mist"? Is this where the Assembly is? Since this is tied into Halo: Reach that kind of makes sense. If so.. how the heck did they get there? It says the first human slipspace engine was created in 2291. Our earliest known mention of the Assembly was in 2310. Could some sort of primitive AI have been sent into slipspace during testing or on accident, eventually changing or evolving into the Assembly?

Alternately, Halsey sending this AI into slipspace could be her sending it into The Domain. If the Domain exists/existed in slipspace, this could make sense.

"Comments on Humanity defy reason."

Ahhhhhh! :)

Oh, and we're getting a new short stories book too! Coming 09/20/16.

cfhalo_fractures_cvr_plusmech-993e23221ae54d75986af034068a5762.jpg

Finally some good Halo lore updates! (Thanks Grim!)

Fuchsdh

I think it's more likely that the Assembly resides somewhere physically, as they were keenly interested in Halsey's experiments in a manner that makes me think they were looking at it being an option not available to them. Also, we haven't heard a peep from the Assembly... so if they don't appear in Cortana's new order, I think it's safe to say they got nuked when Reach fell.

EDIT: Yay, short story collections!

I think it's more likely that the Assembly resides somewhere physically, as they were keenly interested in Halsey's experiments in a manner that makes me think they were looking at it being an option not available to them. Also, we haven't heard a peep from the Assembly... so if they don't appear in Cortana's new order, I think it's safe to say they got nuked when Reach fell.

I would definitely prefer to believe that if they didn't join Cortana, it's because they view her as an enemy, or at least a competitor.

That's true, I forgot about that. Maybe with the time wonkiness, they were looking into their own futurepast!

So perhaps the ProbeAI was sensing other intellects existing in subspace.. either sent there as tests/on accident, or somehow it's connected to the Domain. It'd make sense with what we know of Cortana now that somehow her getting "blasted" into subspace somehow got her connected with the domain.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet a new book.

Bought The Fall of Reach HC graphic novel today.

Edit: Read the cannon fodder entry regarding the book. Sounds great. How long do audio versions take to come out?

Toa TAK

Banned
YES new book!

On the Halsey pages, can someone clarify one thing:

Those were written by Nylund himself, right? When he was working on it during Reach's production.

Or were they just written as of recent to fit the current story. I know pages were ripped out before, I'm just not sure if this was written on it already or not.

YES new book!

On the Halsey pages, can someone clarify one thing:

Those were written by Nylund himself, right? When he was working on it during Reach's production.

Or were they just written as of recent to fit the current story. I know pages were ripped out before, I'm just not sure if this was written on it already or not.

I would guess they're recently written. But I don't know it for a fact.

REALLY cool...

Tactical nuke inbound. Wow.

georgc

Sup halo GAF I have a international flight coming up and it's perfect time to catch up on some novels. Out of

Broken circle
Hunters in the dark
Saints testimony
Last light
Shadow of intent

What should I dedicate my time too?

Thanks gaf

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sup halo GAF I have a international flight coming up and it's perfect time to catch up on some novels. Out of

Broken circle
Hunters in the dark
Saints testimony
Last light
Shadow of intent

What should I dedicate my time too?

Thanks gaf

Saint's Testimony and Shadow of Intent. Maybe Broken Circle.

The rest are trash.

Saint's Testimony and Shadow of Intent. Maybe Broken Circle.

The rest are trash.

Broken Circle is great, it just doesn't move the universe forward much (which is fine).

Still haven't finished Last Light (started it when it came out lol), but from what I read it was good.

Hunters... Yeah, it's definitely not the greatest, by any means.

Fuchsdh

I went back and reread Hunters in the Dark and I actually like it. It's fine on its own, it was just deeply disappointing when we had all this hype and buildup to the "Return to the Ark" and a lot of it just didn't go anywhere.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Still working my way through the old FUDcasts. Just finished the Silentium episode which was great. I find myself disagreeing a lot with Danis opinions, haha. I really want to re-read the Forerunner Trilogy now.

Fuchsdh

Still working my way through the old FUDcasts. Just finished the Silentium episode which was great. I find myself disagreeing a lot with Danis opinions, haha. I really want to re-read the Forerunner Trilogy now.

Dani is certainly the saltier member of our crew, but what point is a discussion if we all agree? :)

I haven't reread the Forerunner books probably since Silentium came out, definitely something I want to do too. First I gotta' get through my other novel backlog, though...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Dani is certainly the saltier member of our crew, but what point is a discussion if we all agree? :)

I haven't reread the Forerunner books probably since Silentium came out, definitely something I want to do too. First I gotta' get through my other novel backlog, though...

Yup, good to have differing opinions otherwise it would make for a much less interesting podcast. I need to check out some of the articles on the site as well.

Recently picked up the big Escalation collection with Initiation. Beautiful book. Never read Initiation , which wasn't too bad. Didn't know Zane was in it. Pretty cool.

Fuchsdh

The Feminist Frequency video reminds me that I'd love to see more of Serina in Halo Wars 2, even if it's just a prologue sequence or just recordings since I don't see any way she's still around and kicking decades later.

AlStrong

The Feminist Frequency video reminds me that I'd love to see more of Serina in Halo Wars 2, even if it's just a prologue sequence or just recordings since I don't see any way she's still around and kicking decades later.

AI's can't/don't have a sleep state?

LordOfChaos

Is that the one where she criticizes Halo for having Cortana think herself to death, even though every human AI does that, and she's the only one to over come it one and a half times?

Fuchsdh

Is that the one where she criticizes Halo for having Cortana think herself to death, even though every human AI does that, and she's the only one to over come it one and a half times?

Honestly don't remember her saying that, but with the other stuff she got wrong I wouldn't be surprised.

Kalentan

Wait did she really? I mean, that's been there since day one in the Halo universe. Fall of Reach, I believe. Then again, I think the idea carried over from Marathon?

Monocle

What an atrocious misreading of a plot point. It's shockingly disingenuous to suggest rampancy is a sexist thing.

Nope they're originals. They paid the producers of Halsey's Journal to rip out the 'missing' pages by hand. Apparently some were released without the pages torn but those never ended up in the hands of a major lore fan I guess. Makes the story even more amazing.

http://ericnylund.com/?p=1288

That is damn cool. Amazing that it's taken this long to finally see those missing pages. I still take the journal out to read it again.. Might be my favorite piece of Halo lore.

Respectfully disagree. Last Light was great.
I really enjoyed Last Light as well.

kingwingin

So i just began reading the books and just finished first strike. Im not sure if i skimned over it in the book. but does it explain how covenent finds earth? Also, how does cortana know that they know where earth is?

So i just began reading the books and just finished first strike. Im not sure if i skimned over it in the book. but does it explain how covenent finds earth? Also, how does cortana know that they know where earth is?
It's been a while so I can't exactly answer your questions, but I don't believe it's explained how Regret found Earth in that book. If I recall correctly, that was a bit of a mystery until recently, with the Halo 2 Anniversary terminals. Regret secretly found a Forerunner device the held the location of the Ark, or rather, the Portal to the Ark. He didn't know the planet he found the location to was also Earth, and he tried to secretly find the Ark behind the backs of the other Prophets, leading to the botched invasion in the beginning of Halo 2.

It's been a while so I can't exactly answer your questions, but I don't believe it's explained how Regret found Earth in that book. If I recall correctly, that was a bit of a mystery until recently, with the Halo 2 Anniversary terminals. Regret secretly found a Forerunner device the held the location of the Ark, or rather, the Portal to the Ark. He didn't know the planet he found the location to was also Earth, and he tried to secretly find the Ark behind the backs of the other Prophets, leading to the botched invasion in the beginning of Halo 2.

I always how it tied together this line:

"Something's not right. The fleet that destroyed Reach was fifty times this size!"

FyreWulff

I thought Halo 2 made it pretty clear that it was essentially, the Covenant already knew about the Portal since they had possession of the Keyship, they just didn't know it was the human homeworld as well.

All the random jumps to hide Earth were pointless as the Covenant technically already had Earth's location, they just didn't know the importance of it.

Also as a development trivia, I do believe at one point the portal area was going to be the Ark itself, and that was storyline moved to be a separate installation away from Earth. We do know the opening scene was storyboarded for Halo 2:

IpLWZ.jpg

from the H2 BTS DVD

Top Bottom