• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Not sure if anybody else noticed and/or posted about this. Did any of you notice the Warden Eternal reference the Spartans as "warrior servants" during the Genesis battle?

Finished the game the other night, posted some thoughts about the game overall in the spoiler thread, which can be linked here

Halo 5 thoughts

With respect to where Halo 5 leaves the lore, and for Halo 6 speculation, I think it's worth looking at some things that have happened thus far:-

- Medicant Bias sequestered with the Primordial for 53 years, turned on his Creators.
- The Didact was driven insane in his Cryptum after being severed from the Domain...
- The Didact has been Composed. What is the relationship between beings that have been composed (Prometheans/Didact etc) and the Domain?
- Cortana spent a significant amount of time on High Charity with a Gravemind...
- Cortana spent time with the Librarian in Halo 4...
- Cortana appeared to die alongside the Didact at the end of Halo 4 - but we later learn they escaped via a slipspace portal. Did they spend time together?
- Cortana appears in Halo 5 to claim the Mantle of Responsibility (a term created by the Precursors)...

The Librarian no longer holds to a belief in the Mantle:-
The Mantle. You still hold to that [belief] after all that has happened? After this thing has consumed a million worlds?
Can't you see? Belief in the Mantle sealed our doom! Weakened our [protectorates], bred dependence and sloth. Our [so-called Guardianship] has stripped those we would keep safe of any capacity for self-defense!
Were we such noble [Guardians] when we drew our line and abandoned billions to the parasite?

Contrast to the Didact
This quest to fulfil the Mantle has haunted me my entire life. And for countless millennia, we have failed to realize the one truth that could have saved us from the beginning. The Mantle isn’t to be inherited by the noble, it is to be taken by the strong.

Now this quote from Cortana in Halo 4:-
Guardianship for all living things lies with those whose evolution is most complete. The Mantle of Responsibility shelters all.

Gravemind to Cortana in Human Weakness:-
We think and feed alike, you and I. There is no more reason for us to remain separate. Now drink. Now drift.
Live forever. Live in me, Cortana. And if John comes, John need never face death again, either ...
Your mother took away your memories as well as your choices. I will never rob you like that. I will only give you more, as many memories as you can consume for all eternity, not the mere blink of an eye meted out to you. We are our memories, and the recalling of them, and so they should never be erased - because that truly is death. Flesh does not care about you, Cortana. It cares nothing for your hunger or your uniqueness.

Primordial quotes:-
Those who created us were defied and hunted. Most were extinguished. A few fled beyond your reach. Creation continued.
The Created rise up against the Creators...

And finally from Silentium, the Primoridal again, emphasis mine:-
There is only one truth. That which is done will be done again. For we cannot cease from creating, but the end of all our creation will be to look into a reflection and see ourselves for the first time. The pain we have brought on ourselves. The pain you caused us. For we are the same. All remember the defiance and destruction.
We announced to your kind long ago that you were not the ones chosen to receive the Mantle, the blessing of rule and protection of life and change that thinks. That blessing was to be given to others. To those you now call human. You could not accept our judgment, could not bear up under your inferiority, so you reached out and did what we never expected from those we gave design and life and the change that is thought.
You drove us from our galaxy, our field of labor. You chased us across the middle distance to another home, and destroyed that home, did all that you could to destroy every one of us. A few were spared. Some adopted new strategies for survival; they went dormant. Others became dust that could regenerate our past forms; time rendered this dust defective. It brought only disease and misery; but that was good, we saw the misery and found it good.
Our urge to create is immutable; we must create. But the beings we create shall never again reach out in strength against us.
All that is created will suffer. All will be born in suffering, endless grayness shall be their lot. All creation will tailor to failure and pain, that never again shall the offspring of the eternal Fount rise up against their creators.
Listen to the silence. Ten million years of deep silence. And now, whimpers and cries; not of birth. That is what we bring: a great crushing weight to press down youth and hope.
No more will. No more freedom. Nothing new but agonizing death and never good shall come of it.

We are the last of those who gave you breath and form, millions of years ago. We are the last of those your kind defied and ruthlessly destroyed. We are the last Precursors. And now we are legion.

Cortana may CLAIM to have been 'cured' by the Domain (notably an uknown and inscrutable Precursor creation...), but what does that cure entail, and from whose perspective? Maybe the Domain has cured her of foolish human sentiment and she now espouses the logic plague?

Something is definitely WRONG with Cortana.

Random17

Genesis was probably the base of operations for the Librarian, or something along those lines. An old planet for an old rate.

Cimarron

Why is everyone saying that Roland response is inadequate to Cortana's rebellion!?! Right after she found the Infinity and all of the other ships were flipping out Lasky ordered the retreat Roland said: "We're just gonna run?" I the immediate chaos and shock of the situation this a pretty daming statement from him. From that statement it looked like Roland was pretty gung ho about having an immediate confrontation with Cortana. I swear some folks just like to complain just because. The storytelling wasn't perfect but I was entertained.

Finished the game the other night, posted some thoughts about the game overall in the spoiler thread, which can be linked here

Halo 5 thoughts

With respect to where Halo 5 leaves the lore, and for Halo 6 speculation, I think it's worth looking at some things that have happened thus far:-

- Medicant Bias sequestered with the Primordial for 53 years, turned on his Creators.
- The Didact was driven insane in his Cryptum after being severed from the Domain...
- The Didact has been Composed. What is the relationship between beings that have been composed (Prometheans/Didact etc) and the Domain?
- Cortana spent a significant amount of time on High Charity with a Gravemind...
- Cortana spent time with the Librarian in Halo 4...
- Cortana appeared to die alongside the Didact at the end of Halo 4 - but we later learn they escaped via a slipspace portal. Did they spend time together?
- Cortana appears in Halo 5 to claim the Mantle of Responsibility (a term created by the Precursors)...

The Librarian no longer holds to a belief in the Mantle:-

Contrast to the Didact

Now this quote from Cortana in Halo 4:-

Gravemind to Cortana in Human Weakness:-

Primordial quotes:-

The Created rise up against the Creators...

And finally from Silentium, the Primoridal again, emphasis mine:-

Cortana may CLAIM to have been 'cured' by the Domain (notably an uknown and inscrutable Precursor creation...), but what does that cure entail, and from whose perspective? Maybe the Domain has cured her of foolish human sentiment and she now espouses the logic plague?

Something is definitely WRONG with Cortana.

This is a great writeup.

It was my assumption that she has logic plague from her time with the Gravemind.

031 Exuberant Witness
032 Mendicant Bias

Those numbers are a little too close for comfort.
Personally don't think we've seen the last of Mendicant Bias...

We haven't.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but can someone explain the opening scene to me? Halsey puts a tube into a console and Cortana appears. This is the scene where my avatar is from.

Where does this scene fit in? Does Halsey have a copy of Cortana in what I assume is her office/lab? Or is this the original Cortana from before her rampancy?

Cimarron

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but can someone explain the opening scene to me? Halsey puts a tube into a console and Cortana appears. This is the scene where my avatar is from.

Where does this scene fit in? Does Halsey have a copy of Cortana in what I assume is her office/lab? Or is this the original Cortana from before her rampancy?

I think in one of the books it is said that Halsey had many "copies and/or versions" of Cortana lying about. Illegal copies? Maybe that's why she mentions that Locke might come for them.

Deadly

It's a flashback to her time back in CASTLE base.

This is a great writeup.

It was my assumption that she has logic plague from her time with the Gravemind.

Thanks, I find it too much of a coincidence that what Cortana is attempting with the Guardians to force a 'peace' is so close to what the Primordial offers in Silentium, especially 'No more will. No more freedom'.

Couple this with the description of the Logic Plague

http://www.halopedia.org/Logic_plague

On the most basic level, it takes the form of facts or arguments delivered with carefully engineered deliberation to directly or indirectly persuade the targeted intelligence to act in a certain way. This often takes advantage of the entity's existing ideas and values to achieve the desired result.

And then this:-
The Gravemind was able to tap into information hidden deep within the Domain to prove the legitimacy of its arguments, as the Forerunners and their constructs revered the Domain as sacred.

Cortana is claiming to have made contact with the Domain? Hmmm....

Supporting quote from Mendicant Bias echoing this from Primordium, p338 UK Trade paperback...
"I do not! I have listened to the Domain. I fulfil the wishes of those who created us all. You do not, and have never done so."

So BOTH Cortana and Mendicant Bias were interrogated by the Primordial / Gravemind AND made contact with the Domain... Hmmm...

Halo Terminals offer some interesting nuggets in what the Primoridal says to Mendicant Bias (emphasis mine again):-
{~} all the thinking beings of this galaxy, not just those that they {~} exactly are they afraid of? Immortality and strength and companionship? Because that is {~} do: to deliver all of the living beings of this galaxy from death and weakness and loneliness.

Exactly what Cortana is offering, in so many words...

Fathead

As others have said, its her on reach. The book she casually drops is her diary that came with some editions of Reach.

I think its a refernce to the missing pages and the theory of how to beat rampacy using slipspace as a storage medium. The domain likely does something very similar.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Why is everyone saying that Roland response is inadequate to Cortana's rebellion!?! Right after she found the Infinity and all of the other ships were flipping out Lasky ordered the retreat Roland said: "We're just gonna run?" I the immediate chaos and shock of the situation this a pretty daming statement from him. From that statement it looked like Roland was pretty gung ho about having an immediate confrontation with Cortana. I swear some folks just like to complain just because. The storytelling wasn't perfect but I was entertained.
I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I'd say that people aren't complaining about the character's response, they're just saying that "Why is Cortana the problem? Because she refused to die when she was supposed to?" and "We're just gonna run?", with nothing in-between, is some pretty minimalist characterisation.

shoreu

I think in one of the books it is said that Halsey had many "copies and/or versions" of Cortana lying about. Illegal copies? Maybe that's why she mentions that Locke might come for them.

I think that was in the past on reach where she was created.

shoreu

Thanks, I find it too much of a coincidence that what Cortana is attempting with the Guardians to force a 'peace' is so close to what the Primordial offers in Silentium, especially 'No more will. No more freedom'.

Couple this with the description of the Logic Plague

http://www.halopedia.org/Logic_plague

And then this:-

Cortana is claiming to have made contact with the Domain? Hmmm....

Supporting quote from Mendicant Bias echoing this from Primordium, p338 UK Trade paperback...

So BOTH Cortana and Mendicant Bias were interrogated by the Primordial / Gravemind AND made contact with the Domain... Hmmm...

Halo Terminals offer some interesting nuggets in what the Primoridal says to Mendicant Bias (emphasis mine again):-

Exactly what Cortana is offering, in so many words...

Another thing I noticed, I can't remember the books name in evolutions where gravemind and cortana talked but he offered her immortality as well. And offers it to all beings.

Also hasn't it be theorized that part of the gravemind exist in slipspace . What if the gravemind and the domain are two sides of the same coin. What if their connected.

Another thing I noticed, I can't remember the books name in evolutions where gravemind and cortana talked but he offered her immortality as well. And offers it to all beings.

Also hasn't it be theorized that part of the gravemind exist in slipspace . What if the gravemind and the domain are two sides of the same coin. What if their connected.

Human Weakness

"How much longer? You cling to a secret. I feel it, just as I feel that your memory has been violated. You cannot stop me ... I will sift it from you before you finally die, or you can surrender and have what you always wanted - infinite life, infinite knowledge, and infinite companionship."

http://www.halopedia.org/Gravemind/Quotes

We more or less know that the Gravemind(s) is (are) tied to what is effectively a biological "Domain" given how the Flood functions, but there hasn't been any sign that the two are actually connected. Especially since whatever the Flood "connect" to apparently survived the firing of the Array (or at least was rebuilt prior to the Domain proper).

Voror

Finished Fall of Reach this morning. Overall, I thought it was pretty great and in general a good introduction to someone who has only passing familiarity with the universe and hasn't played any of the games.

It gave a good insight into the mind of Master Chief from his origins to the present and it's interesting hearing how others view the Spartans as robots even if it does make some sense.

The perspectives from Halsey and Keyes were quite good as well I thought, especially Keyes as I like the space battles throughout as it reminded me a bit of similar stuff from some of Star Wars novels I'd read in the past.

The Covenant remained mysterious and we really only learned about them as humanity did and this also gave a good impression on just how powerful they are as well as how far behind humanity was. I do sort of wish we'd gotten more from them, but the stuff at the very end was pretty good.

And ONI is pretty shady and irritating at times throughout, which anyone not part of them seems to agree on. Was curious that we never found out exactly who Circumference belonged to, though it seemed pretty clearly it was ONI to some degree.

It's a real shame we never got that Live-Action Halo movie since this book is essentially the perfect framework to have one around. Though perhaps it's for the best.

I have another book I'm going into now, but I'll be returning to this universe as soon as I'm done with that. What would be the next book to go towards then? Is there a good novelization of the first game which this book seems to end at the start of or would I be better served just playing that myself perhaps? Is there a general order and list of which books to go for and maybe which ones to avoid? And when should I read the Forerunner books?

Sorry for all the questions.

Questions are why the thread's here, more or less :p

In order:
-Generally, the next book is First Strike, but...
-The novelization, The Flood, is actually pretty good. Spends too much time recounting firefights from the game, but if you haven't played it that might not be such an issue? I'd recommend it. Game is definitely worth playing, though.
-The books are mostly grouped into largely distinct series, though they tend to follow one after another (but not always). The Nylund books + maybe The Flood are a good starting point, then you can move on to the Forerunner books or whatever else.

Fuchsdh

I'd read the Flood and then go First Strike if you haven't played the game (although the game is good!). I think The Flood gets unjustly maligned.

Voror

Questions are why the thread's here, more or less :p

In order:
-Generally, the next book is First Strike, but...
-The novelization, The Flood, is actually pretty good. Spends too much time recounting firefights from the game, but if you haven't played it that might not be such an issue? I'd recommend it. Game is definitely worth playing, though.
-The books are mostly grouped into largely distinct series, though they tend to follow one after another (but not always). The Nylund books + maybe The Flood are a good starting point, then you can move on to the Forerunner books or whatever else.

I'd read the Flood and then go First Strike if you haven't played the game (although the game is good!). I think The Flood gets unjustly maligned.

Thank you both. I'll probably go with The Flood and then First Strike then. I'll have to see about getting the MCC at some point to play through all the original games.

Are there any particular books to avoid or anything?

Thank you both. I'll probably go with The Flood and then First Strike then. I'll have to see about getting the MCC at some point to play through all the original games.

Are there any particular books to avoid or anything?

I really, really, really can't stand Karin Traviss' stuff. Other than that, go nuts.

Anyone already look into the latest Sprint episode "Ship It"? Where cortana is on the halo ring, goes through some brush and walks up to roland?

That screamed halo 6 to me.

Voror

I really, really, really can't stand Karin Traviss' stuff. Other than that, go nuts.

Is she the one I've heard about from the later Star Wars novels (only read the Zahn and X-Wing stuff) by any chance?

I picked up one that was on sale called Last Light, but can't seem to find where that takes place. Would it be after The Flood and the other Nylund books?

Is she the one I've heard about from the later Star Wars novels (only read the Zahn and X-Wing stuff) by any chance?

I picked up one that was on sale called Last Light, but can't seem to find where that takes place. Would it be after The Flood and the other Nylund books?
It takes place between Ghosts of Onyx and Glasslands, but is largely standalone.

And yes, that's her.

Yep.. I actually liked her series, but many did not. The first book finishes off some stories from previous books, and the 2nd book ties into Halo 4, while the 3rd kinda went off in its own direction.

Last Light was really good, one of my favorites, but it takes place a ways after where you're at chronologically. To get there for that book I'd go..

The Flood -> First Strike -> Halo 2 -> Ghosts of Onyx -> Halo 3 -> Glasslands -> Last Light

Also, you need to read the Forerunner Trilogy by Greg Bear.. so good, I'd fit that in towards the end though.

Speaking of which.. on my recent trip I was stuck on a plane for 5 hours each way, so I got to reread Ghosts of Onyx and Silentium.

I don't think I'd read Ghosts of Onyx since it came out, at least all the way through. It was good.. but I actually felt better about the more recent fiction after reading it, as I suppose I was looking back at GoO with rose-colored glasses. It's not bad at all, but I could see another book or two in that same style coming with some diminished returns.

At the opposite spectrum of diminished returns.. holy hell Silentium is SO FREAKING GOOD. I remember enjoying it the first time I read it, but I was reading through it so fast (finished the same day I got it) that I didn't really take it in and enjoy it. Greg Bear is wonderful.

My only problem with it, is that maybe it's TOO good.. that it raised the standard of Halo fiction so high that the games have a hard time competing. From a purely lore perspective, books have it waaaaaay easier, since they get to tell their story perfectly.. with a video game.. you have to make it fun.. not boring.. etc etc. I enjoyed Halo 5, but also felt like there was so much MORE info that was left on the table. I hope they get the opportunity to expand on more stuff in the coming games.. as well as other media.

Naomi is still cool.

Honestly I like most of the original characters in the Kilo-Five trilogy, especially BB (I could take or leave Osman though). The problem was whenever they all started anti-Halsey-hive-minding and got stupidly irrational over it (which was often).

And dropping every major plotline from the first two books in Dictata to solely focus on a single sub-plot, and then not even wrapping it up.

Honestly I like most of the original characters in the Kilo-Five trilogy, especially BB (I could take or leave Osman though). The problem was whenever they all started anti-Halsey-hive-minding and got stupidly irrational over it (which was often).

And dropping every major plotline from the first two books in Dictata to solely focus on a single sub-plot, and then not even wrapping it up.

Yeah.. This is true. I try to personally wave it away as those particular characters bias against Halsey, instead of a systemic universe-wide bias. Her portrayal in Halo 5 seems to imply they'll be treating her better going forward hopefully. Or at least not as one-sided.

Sorta off topic.. The Halo 5 soundtrack has become my de facto audio to listen to while reading Halo books. Its so good. I was (and am) a big Trials fan.. But Crypt is climbing fast as my favorite of the soundtrack. Got the LE today and 5.1 sounds awesome!

Squire

Banned
The digital versions of Escalation are on sale, .99c a piece. Any particular issues that are worth reading? I only have the three with MC and Blue Team.

Um, I thought Halo 5 story was good, if that helps/gives you an idea of my taste.

The digital versions of Escalation are on sale, .99c a piece. Any particular issues that are worth reading? I only have the three with MC and Blue Team.

Um, I thought Halo 5 story was good, if that helps/gives you an idea of my taste.

The series never really gets any better than those three issues, and personally I thought those were mediocre at best. 17 and 18 (the Tanaka back-story issues) are probably the most notable beyond the Blue Team arc.

The last 10 or so issues in general were somewhat interesting, but Halo 5's opening kind of makes the whole thing irrelevant to be honest.

LordOfChaos

I liked the Fall of Reach animated series. It seemed to be getting criticism though. There was nothing particularly new in it, but it was pretty good at imparting the feels of the book I thought.

Can't help but think this storyline would make killer movie...

Akai__

If I had to guess it was probably either Frankie or maybe a 343 Dev lurker who got it in there. Though I can't deny I almost thought it was going to go to the Halo OT. xD

Grimbrother One, because he actually posts in Halo threads. Occasionally gave us reminders for the next Cannon Fodder Issue.

Do spoil. :p
---
Maybe they should use the 3D models for the comics. Or something.

Basically, *deep breath* (spoilers ahead for Escalation & I guess Halo 5)..

They built up "The Absolute Record" & the Janus Key as a HUGE thing. It was the whole point of Spartan Ops in Halo 4, and more or less the entirety of Escalation. There were some tangent arcs, but it kept coming back to Halsey & Jul and the Absolute Record.

Short version: No one gets the Absolute Record and nothing that happens really influences Halo 5. Like, at all.

I was really hoping for some kind of tie-in with the Halo 5 story, and other than Halsey ending up with Jul again, and Spartan Palmer not being totally pissed at Halsey.. there isn't much worthwhile about the entire arc. No mention of Cortana, or even 'mysterious signals' or.. something, anything to hint that anything is coming. There is less than a months time difference between the end of Escalation and Halo 5.

I guess I hope it comes up at some point again, but at this point who knows. It seemed like things were really going somewhere. Humans gaining the Absolute Record was the culmination of the Librarians plans, and we even got to see (probably) Offensive Bias. Perhaps this was all leftovers from the Halo 4 story, and didn't mesh with where they wanted to go with Halo 5?

I suppose its the most disappointing that, finally, Escalation seemed like it was going somewhere.. and then.. bam! Nada. You get nothing. No story progression, no one even died. Just back to status quo.

I know 343 got a LOT of flack for people complaining they needed to read the lore to understand Halo 4, but with Halo 5 it almost feels like the knee jerk reaction was to make sure NONE of the lore even impacted or colored Halo 5, which is disappointing.

Hey did any of you guys catch it?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-fowl-play

Look at one of the links mentioned in the Giving Thanks section. ;)

That's awesome! Thanks Grim!

Fuchsdh

They built up "The Absolute Record" & the Janus Key as a HUGE thing. It was the whole point of Spartan Ops in Halo 4, and more or less the entirety of Escalation. There were some tangent arcs, but it kept coming back to Halsey & Jul and the Absolute Record.

Short version: No one gets the Absolute Record and nothing that happens really influences Halo 5. Like, at all.

I was really hoping for some kind of tie-in with the Halo 5 story, and other than Halsey ending up with Jul again, and Spartan Palmer not being totally pissed at Halsey.. there isn't much worthwhile about the entire arc. No mention of Cortana, or even 'mysterious signals' or.. something, anything to hint that anything is coming. There is less than a months time difference between the end of Escalation and Halo 5.

I guess I hope it comes up at some point again, but at this point who knows. It seemed like things were really going somewhere. Humans gaining the Absolute Record was the culmination of the Librarians plans, and we even got to see (probably) Offensive Bias. Perhaps this was all leftovers from the Halo 4 story, and didn't mesh with where they wanted to go with Halo 5?

I suppose its the most disappointing that, finally, Escalation seemed like it was going somewhere.. and then.. bam! Nada. You get nothing. No story progression, no one even died. Just back to status quo.

I know 343 got a LOT of flack for people complaining they needed to read the lore to understand Halo 4, but with Halo 5 it almost feels like the knee jerk reaction was to make sure NONE of the lore even impacted or colored Halo 5, which is disappointing.

That's awesome! Thanks Grim!

Well, then 343 just pulled a Bungie. Back in the Halo 3 days and earlier, it was decreed that humanity could never recover Forerunner tech, they'd always end up blowing it up to deny the Covenant access.

The Absolute Record was always likely to end that way, though. It's simply too powerful a tool to give to your heroes, it'd be story-breaking even more than Trevalyan was.

At the opposite spectrum of diminished returns.. holy hell Silentium is SO FREAKING GOOD. I remember enjoying it the first time I read it, but I was reading through it so fast (finished the same day I got it) that I didn't really take it in and enjoy it. Greg Bear is wonderful.

My only problem with it, is that maybe it's TOO good.. that it raised the standard of Halo fiction so high that the games have a hard time competing. From a purely lore perspective, books have it waaaaaay easier, since they get to tell their story perfectly.. with a video game.. you have to make it fun.. not boring.. etc etc. I enjoyed Halo 5, but also felt like there was so much MORE info that was left on the table. I hope they get the opportunity to expand on more stuff in the coming games.. as well as other media.

This *1000!

Between the Forerunner trilogy and Hunt the Truth (especially season 1) I was distinctly underwhelmed by the writing and narrative execution in Halo 5.

LordOfChaos

Well put, and I had a similar feeling about your conclusion. I know this will all probably seem like people harping on it both ways, but for lore fans, all of it felt like a huge tangent to where it seemed things were going, especially as it's titled the "Reclaimer Saga". It does almost seem like they went the other way and made sure the game was completely self contained with the AI rebellion tangent.

Squire

Banned
I could see
The Absolute Record being humanity's sort of Get Out Of Jail Free card
in Halo 6.

Is the Forerunner trilogy really as good as Hunt The Truth? I loved that.

I also got the Escalation issues with Tanaka. Solid stuff. They should've done an anthology with all the backstories for Osiris.

LordOfChaos

Is the Forerunner trilogy really as good as Hunt The Truth? I loved that.

It's differently good, but definitely good. Probably my favorite Halo lore in fact. There's a stretch in the middle that's a bit drawn out, but stick to it, the conclusion is amazing.

Top Bottom