• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Will Likely Feature “Special” HDR; Dev Has Put Unprecedent Effort Into It

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

HDTVTest's EvilBoris revealed that Halo Infinite not only is going to support HDR but also that it is likely going to be special.

HDR is in and from what I hear it is likely to be special.

In a following post, EvilBoris added that developer 343 Industries is putting an unprecedent level of effort that goes beyond anything that has ever been seen in gaming so far.

They are going to huge effort (and expense) beyond anything I’m aware of in a game so far.

sn0man

Halo ring worlds have strong atmospheric anomalies. You can’t just render that kind of stuff with normal graphics. Thankfully Microsoft invested heavily in that technology at the start of this generation.

cloud
Stuff

-Arcadia-

Banned
Skeptical.

There’s apparently been some pretty amazing HDR implementations so far, from Gears 5 to Gran Turismo Sport. I don’t think that 343 is suddenly going to leapfrog everyone.

Actually, they’re far more likely to screw it up, lol.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Hopefully they will support PC this time, unlike the Master Chief collection.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
With their budget I expect that they deliver unprecedented things for gaming, otherwise it's not worthy of being the biggest franchise of a console manufacturer.

INC

Next gen doesnt start, until MS release next gen black levels

12tf of gamma baby!!

GymWolf

Well maybe they can convince me on how good really is this hdr thing.

I hope the pc version has hdr too.

T-Cake

I think we need some poll to see how many us have a HDR display. And I don’t mean a tin pot 300 nits piece of trash but a proper one such as OLED. Its been three years since PS4 Pro and I’ve still never seen HDR in action.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think we need some poll to see how many us have a HDR display. And I don’t mean a tin pot 300 nits piece of trash but a proper one such as OLED. Its been three years since PS4 Pro and I’ve still never seen HDR in action.
HDR in action is a game changer, even the cheaper LED sets having HDR is a game changer. Realy makes the colours pop

T-Cake

HDR in action is a game changer, even the cheaper LED sets having HDR is a game changer. Realy makes the colours pop

I can't agree from my own experience. I have a cheap LED TV (300 or 400 nits) and the colours/brightness are abysmal in HDR mode. I keep it switched off.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I can't agree from my own experience. I have a cheap LED TV (300 or 400 nits) and the colours/brightness are abysmal in HDR mode. I keep it switched off.

What’s abysmal about it? Do you have HDR settings that you can adjust on it?

T-Cake

What’s abysmal about it? Do you have HDR settings that you can adjust on it?

Blacks become grey, there is a weird silhouette around most text and graphics. I've fiddled with the settings but can't seem to get a decent picture at all.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Blacks become grey, there is a weird silhouette around most text and graphics. I've fiddled with the settings but can't seem to get a decent picture at all.

What are you using as you HDR scorch? I have an Expensive LG tv downstairs and a cheap tv in the bedroom. The LG is amazing and while the cheap tv isn’t as good its still realy good. I have Xbox X PS4 and Apple TV and all look great with HDR

Last edited:

T-Cake

Do you buy HDR films on there also? Also check if you got decent HDMI cable

No films. The cable is fine, it's an Xbox One cable. I've really only tried it with a couple of games, AC Odyssey and Nex Machina. That was enough to put me off and came to the conclusion that 400 nits and 8-bit panel is not HDR at all and never can be. Not going to try again until I get a 1000 nit, 10-bit panel.

GymWolf

I have a pretty good oled tv and hdr when done properly is a cute addiction.

Unfortunately 75% of games have shitty hdr and it's better turning it off.

Still, it is a tertiary thing for me, i vastly prefer resolution and framerate before even thinking about hdr.

nowhat

Chances are, while your TV may "support" HDR (as in, it won't bork on a HDR signal), it may not be able to display it properly. By the sound of it, you still have an 8-bit panel instead of 10-bit - this is something that shouldn't happen, and it's disingenuous at best to advertise such TVs as HDR-compatible, but welcome to the world of emerging standards, this is always the case early on.

I have a pretty good oled tv and hdr when done properly is a cute addiction.

Unfortunately 75% of games have shitty hdr and it's better turning it off.

Still, it is a tertiary thing for me, i vastly prefer resolution and framerate before even thinking about hdr.

Same. I have an LG B9 and HDR has been very hit and miss for me. In some games it looks great (Spiderman, GTS), in others it looks like it's barely on (Witcher 3). Let's hope the rumor is true and Microsoft delivers some "next gen" HDR.

GymWolf

Same. I have an LG B9 and HDR has been very hit and miss for me. In some games it looks great (Spiderman, GTS), in others it looks like it's barely on (Witcher 3). Let's hope the rumor is true and Microsoft delivers some "next gen" HDR.
The only game were i noticed something good was gow2018, gears 5 and maybe days gone?!
I don't remember the hdr on spiderman tbh.

Let's just say that in many many games hdr is like when i watch anime and i have the "brilliant and saturated colors" personalized mode ON.

supernova8

Banned
If the little snippet they showed with that guy inside the ship is anything to go by, I'll pass. It just didn't look very next-gen at all. I don't think any amount of fancy HDR is going to beat actual next-gen visuals.

No films. The cable is fine, it's an Xbox One cable. I've really only tried it with a couple of games, AC Odyssey and Nex Machina. That was enough to put me off and came to the conclusion that 400 nits and 8-bit panel is not HDR at all and never can be. Not going to try again until I get a 1000 nit, 10-bit panel.

I know how you feel. I jumped on the HDR train early and got one of those notorious LG U series TV's with the RGBW panel a few years back, HDR was a washed out mess on that. Not long after I managed to snag a Panasonic EX750 on sale though and it was a mind blowing difference, likely due to the 10-bit panel. Seems you gotta spend big still to get decent HDR, then again some manufacturers still use 8-bit panels in their upper ranges so you gotta be wary :messenger_grimmacing_

I wonder if everyone will get this HDR on the next Halo or will 343 gate it off again like with MCC.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
As i said befor you will get some great results of cheap TVs these days, you have to do your homework though. Hisense do some realy cheap 4K hdr panels and get great reviews of all the tech places. They are cheap to, now will never be as good as the top end stuff but still miles bbetter than no HDR

Vawn

Banned
200.gif

nowhat

Same. I have an LG B9 and HDR has been very hit and miss for me. In some games it looks great (Spiderman, GTS), in others it looks like it's barely on (Witcher 3).
As far as Witcher 3 is concerned, it's certainly no showcase. I don't know the engine internals, but the end results just seem like what you'd get out of an SDR signal if you enable "HDR mode" on your TV (which you shouldn't). An even worse offender is RDR2. I ended up turning off HDR entirely, because it offered no tangible benefits but several drawbacks.

Caio

343 have put massive effort in the Slipspace Engine and Halo Infinite, in development since 2015, together with a massive budget. Devs are trying to make the Ultimate Halo, and I'm quiet sure they will deliver a Masterpiece, I'm smelling this. This will be the Killer App for XSX !

Kuranghi

In the resetera thread where EvilBoris posted it people are saying things like "HDR is the single biggest upgrade I ever saw in gaming", I really really really really wish people would stop saying that. It hypes it up too much and most people will not think this when they see it for a few reasons:

* You need to spend £900+ (For a 55") to actually get good HDR, let alone great HDR.
* They have their TV settings set so that most of the image enhancementa that should only ever really be on during HDR content are on for SDR all the time, so when they switch to HDR it doesn't look much different to them. (Even if it is different, reality is most people don't understand why its different and they don't care to, they just evaluate it at face value)
* They run their TV in Vivid or Dynamic mode which is meant for the shop floor only, it maxes out the backlight (brightness of screen) for SDR so when they switch to HDR it looks "dull" to them, because HDR tries to show the "proper" luminance of a pixel/scene it might be really dark if the content of the scene calls for it.

So from now on I propose to say this: "HDR is amazing"***

I tried to engage with them over on RE about their Ori 2 HDR implementation, (EvilBoris helped with it) about the problems I had with it and how I think it overall didn't look as good as the SDR in every way, had crushed shadows, blown out highlights/worse highlight gradients and awful default contrast settings (seriously I don't know what TV default was made for, something with a 100:1 contrast ratio lol) when you first turn it on.

The Lead Engineer on Ori 2 gave me some super basic information, along the lines of "if you want to increase the contrast then move the contast slider to the right", 🤦‍♂️ I felt like replying and saying "Have you played Fallout 4? If you want to make your nose bigger then move the nose slider to the right" lmao. I know he can't know what my technical level is regarding this stuff but I did write an in-depth report of my experience to him with screenshots, it wasn't like "HDR no good! i can haz help?".

The concensus is "Most people said the HDR was great", is that the same people that thinks this looks good...

0Lb14zQ.jpg

...compared to this

fefawwn.jpg

The top one literally looks like I turned on every dynamic contrast enhancer + settings that made the colours more vibrant (read:inaccurate) in the TV , I can do that myself for any SDR signal but I never would because it looks like poo lol its like every shitty reshade contrast enhancement I see for GTA V, bar maybe one or two good ones.

I think the implementation of HDR in Ori 2 is the definition of HDR that will confuse people, they are like "I guess this looks better because everything is really contrasty now and the pinks are brighter?", then they start moving the sliders in the settings but don't know what they are even trying to achieve without having basic understanding of how an image should be presented under the circumstances of their specific sets capabilities. I don't blame them ofc, its fucking complicated! lol

EvilBoris replied while I was writing this, here is what he said:

"These are the settings I use

https://www.patreon.com/posts/37146471

Some of the things are seeing are things I recognise through the testing.
The shadow detail option is to help solve the apparent loss of detail in lighter rooms , or simply through displays crushing black such, which is common in even the most popular game displays.
This increases near black without moving the black point.

You can move the black point a little higher , by increasing “brightness” which will make some of that detail more easily visible (it’s always there).

I always played with HDR contrast” on the Lowest value, this helps to reduce the appearance of the clipping and harshness that you describe. You’ll probably notice that this varies a little by scene by scene anyway."

So, you forced HDR into it when the source material doesn't really have the "dynamic range" to do it. The same issues that exist in the SDR imagery are amplified in the HDR mode.

Man, most HDR SUCKS imo. I wish I hadn't waited a month for that 😒

This is a very special answer to this thread.
While it might seem like a normal post at first, an unprecedented level of sarcasm went into this one.

I went to huge effort (and expense) beyond anything I’m aware of on GAF so far.

For real tho, what statement is "IT WILL BE REALLY SPECIAL GUYS!"? Maybe specify that to warrant a thread about it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Upbeat news for Halo fans, gamers are expecting to see next gen visuals from 343

CommonAccurateHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Special HDR? What does this mean exactly?

I mean, if the colors pop, they pop right? Are they using other parts of the spectrum or something?

Is there like a Devblog where they can show this off?

All i know is that they better had put "unprecedented effort" in the story and multiplayer as well.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
My TV is about 400 nits and HDR looks good also depends on the games, they needs to be a standard HDR setting for games

I only played half way through 4 and didn’t touch 5. I thought the new enemies in 4 were annoying. That beig said. Its been damn long enough that i have an itch to play a new halo.

REE Machine

Banned
Dear lord can we stop pushing this hdr bullshit, yes colours looks better, but give me 60fps over any of these stupid features

Hmmm, interesting. there have been a handful of truly great HDR implementations this gen. Days Gone, SOTC Remake, RE2 Remake, and HZD always stand out first when I think about best HDR I have witnessed.

I'll be curious to see what they do to make it "special." Ghost of Tsushima looks to have great color, obviously we don't see it running in HDR through the YT video but I have to assume its HDR is going to kick ass.

I take it that the Infinite team is going the next step to achieve great contrast between subtle tones and some colors that just really pop. Can't wait to see it

Top Bottom