• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Review Thread

Edder1

"reviewers" are just some people giving a subjective opinions. In best case these are underlined with reasonable arguments. If the story doesn't appeal to you based on the arguments, then that' s fine. But why are you shitting all over this thread? Who exactly are you trying to convince of what? People here came because they are interested in the game and want to share opinions and thoughts. You aren't interested anymore? Move on, world is big.
Who's shitting on anything? I simply gave my opinion on story being poor going by the reviews. This is a review thread after all, right? The only ones having issues are all the cry babies who can't handle my opinion and keep replying to me like I should take it back or something, lol. It's the same when it comes to all review threads, they attract a bunch of fanboys of specific games who get all worked up when you say anything negative.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Are you seriously that thick? I didn't bring up a quote of my own to play these childish games, I used his own quote to show it contradicts what he's trying to prove.

Next time read what it is you trying to reply.

Sure Jan GIF

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lmao imagine saying you don’t even need to play a game to say the story is bad and the characters annoying.

Just close your eyes and imagine saying that thinking people will take this argument seriously.
Yet initially they were dismissing the positive opinion because they assumed G Godot25 hadn't played the game.

So basically, according to Officer Doofy, you don't need to have played the game in order to say the story is bad, but you do to say it's good.

You can't make up that kind of pure, unadulterated 'tism

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm certain that this whole "one biome" thing is going to turn into a concern posters wet dream but I honestly thought they were just holding back the other environments as a surprise.....
That’s what I thought. But, based on how content starved the multiplayer is, and how singular the campaign is, it lends credence to the leaks from years back that said after the sustained backlash from 5, they basically through out everything and started from scratch at some point, and Infinite was basically crunched out in something close to two years.

Ozriel

M$FT
Almost all reviewers bar a few are saying story is the weakest part of the game.

When everything is a 90, a 75 can be the weakest link and still be quite good.

It would help if you also linked to those reviews saying the story is an utter abomination

I'm not gonna play this childish game where you take one quote from one review to try to prove your point.

"forgettable antagonist and some rushed character development" seems like a big deal when it comes to storytelling lol.

The quote you cite as proof that the story is bad calls the overall story ‘incredible’.
Seems like you really want this story to be bad. And when you’re a hammer, all you see is nails.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Think you are right but think they are missing the ball here. I think they need to make sure that they keep up with marketing games just like our content providers do. There is benefit of advertising the library but they definitely need to advertise the new hot game as well. Do we have any estimate on marketing spend by publisher?
Yeah I get what you’re saying. I guess they’ve probably done the maths and think this approach makes more sense.

I do feel like Halo at least deserves a mega ad campaign like back in the days since historically it’s their flagship title.

Sony

Nintendo
The scores are really good for a series with both pressure form long time fans to keep stuff the same and pressure from the industry to innovate.
They've spent 6 years on this. I'm glad that it resulted in a gameplay loop/system that satisfies Halo fans while also making it enjoyible for a wider audience.
That's much, much more valuable than having multiple biomes.
The foundation is rock-solid and makes me nothing short of excited for what the future brings. I mean, just think about it for a second. Environmental diversity is one of the biggest points of critisism for a Halo game in 2021, after Halo 4 and Halo 5.

Last edited:

Edder1

The quote you cite as proof that the story is bad calls the overall story ‘incredible’.
Seems like you really want this story to be bad. And when you’re a hammer, all you see is nails.
How can story be "incredible" when it has "forgettable antagonist and some rushed character development"? Lol, that's a self contradiction. It's like saying gameplay is incredible but shooting is forgettable in a FPS game. Engaging antagonist and good character development are essential to any storytelling, let alone for one that is "incredible".

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Seriously impressed by the Metacritic scoring so far of MS titles.
They seem to be hitting all the right notes with the general critic consensus.

Yet I sit here having played all MS exclusives and found them wanting or missing something to keep myself playing.
Perhaps I need more people on my friends list or something for it to seem more alive.

For instance MS flight sim is a beautiful tech demo.
FH5 whilst fun seems like a reskin of 4 and has some horrible issues at the moment.
Phsychonaughts didn't connect with me mostly as I have no affinity with the series or creator.
Ive just started Deathloop and it seems solid enough but the whole loop mechanic is more frustrating than fun.

Im looking forward to trying this out as I have no doubts its definitely NOT a 9/10 or 10/10 game simply based on the above expectations with MS first party BUT I am definitely open and hoping it catches me like for instance FH4 did and its just fun and addictive.

GymWolf

Guys do we know if the campaign unlock is gonna be at 00:00 of the 7th or if i have to wait 6pm of the 8th like some idiotic releases?

8dic is red on the calendar here in italy so i really want to play halo all day if i can.

That’s what I thought. But, based on how content starved the multiplayer is, and how singular the campaign is, it lends credence to the leaks from years back that said after the sustained backlash from 5, they basically through out everything and started from scratch at some point, and Infinite was basically crunched out in something close to two years.

Yeah, it's suffered from the typical trap that comes with these reboots. The majority of the time is spent laying the groundwork and the actual game gets rushed to the door.

Sucks but at least it's built now so content is the focus going forward. Just hope the 10 year plan still involves more big campaigns and not just small expansions or something every now and then

Last edited:

RespawnX

Who's shitting on anything? I simply gave my opinion on story being poor going by the reviews. This is a review thread after all, right? The only ones having issues are all the cry babies who can't handle my opinion and keep replying to me like I should take it back or something, lol.
For God's sake, I certainly don't want to dispute your opinion. However, you have very quickly built up a very harsh opinion on the basis of very limited test statements and a supposed transcript leak. Since then you've been insisting that the game doesn't have a good story. Sorry, but those are pretty thin arguments. Anyway, let's try it another way. What worries you so much? I mean, you must be a fan of the series who is deeply concerned if you're typing away like this.

Halo Infinite resolves many aspects from Halo 5. The focus is clearly on Master Chief's development. The cutscenes are very well directed. The voice-acting is good to excellent,. There is a mixture of linear and open story sections. The difference is that the open sections now take place in a much larger world. It has some interesting characters, but not all of the story lines have been resolved. However, the core of the story is still neat and sets the course for the further development of the series.

It's a Halo story. Basically, it's old fashioned compared to modern video game stories. Storytelling in games has evolved. Halo Infinite, however, stays close to the series and doesn't experiment much. Some may criticise this, but from my point of view it is fundamental for Halo to just remain Halo. This is not about the superhero suddenly taking off his helmet and going through three existential crises in 10 hours. Some might expect that, but Halo never was and (hopefully) never will be that kind of game. The main character is far too pragmatic and the developers remain consistent with that.

Edder1

For God's sake, I certainly don't want to dispute your opinion. However, you have very quickly built up a very harsh opinion on the basis of very limited test statements and a supposed transcript leak. Since then you've been insisting that the game doesn't have a good story. Sorry, but those are pretty thin arguments. Anyway, let's try it another way. What worries you so much? I mean, you must be a fan of the series who is deeply concerned if you're typing away like this.

Halo Infinite resolves many aspects from Halo 5. The focus is clearly on Master Chief's development. The cutscenes are very well directed. The voice-acting is good to excellent,. There is a mixture of linear and open story sections. The difference is that the open sections now take place in a much larger world. It has some interesting characters, but not all of the story lines have been resolved. However, the core of the story is still neat and sets the course for the further development of the series.

It's a Halo story. Basically, it's old fashioned compared to modern video game stories. Storytelling in games has evolved. Halo Infinite, however, stays close to the series and doesn't experiment much. Some may criticise this, but from my point of view it is fundamental for Halo to just remain Halo. This is not about the superhero suddenly taking off his helmet and going through three existential crises in 10 hours. Some might expect that, but Halo never was and (hopefully) never will be that kind of game. The main character is far too pragmatic and the developers remain consistent with that.
If you think one cannot tell a good story from a script then you're fooling yourself, it's literally how any story is judged in entertainment industry before it's realised, You're doing mental gymnastics to try disprove the obvious.

Last edited:
You know. Of the majority of complaining is about a damn biome then that's fine.
This game looks hella fun.

I mean. Are we just forgetting farcry 6 which is literally one biome and doesn't look anywhere near as fun as this.
Yeah, let them get salty about a biome or story. I'm gonna enjoy every minute of this game. This is a 100% gameplay focused game, i don't give a shit if there is no lava/underwater/sewer/snow or whatever stuff and i don't need 10h of cinematics with drama/feelings/walk+talk and 100 twists. One biome and a solid story is more than enough for me.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I'm not gonna play this childish game where you take one quote from one review to try to prove your point.

"forgettable antagonist and some rushed character development" seems like a big deal when it comes to storytelling lol.
What were you expecting, that 343 were going to resurrect Arthur C Clark to write the story?

pratyush

It might be good but i can’t help but laugh at Venturebeat score. Seems like discount jason momoa is not hiding it now. Especially after his “critical analysis “ of other video games

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

You know. Of the majority of complaining is about a damn biome then that's fine.
This game looks hella fun.

I mean. Are we just forgetting farcry 6 which is literally one biome and doesn't look anywhere near as fun as this.
Comparing anything to FC6 is already setting the bar too low. Change of surrounding is important for campaign. If only and only gameplay matters to people then get rid of campaign and play f2p MP every day. We can release 2 maps with AI so people can have fun gameplay.

I am just saying, though I am absolutely playing this on GP.

Edder1

What were you expecting, that 343 were going to resurrect Arthur C Clark to write the story?
No, which is exactly what I'm saying, they can't write a story to save their life. Best 343 can do is 7/10 story, but that's a joke for a massive IP like Halo. It's becoming a joke how they keep rebooting the story every game because of their previous screwups.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

What kind of games do you like playing?
I generally like to be immersed in emergent story telling games or shown something that I find incredible from a gameplay perspective, it could be playing an incredibly tight set piece that has you controlling most of the action with incredible visuals or something that puts you in control but is addictive and fun but in a simplistic way.

Best fun ive had recently in gaming was Mario Tennis 2v2 N64 emulation on switch.

Most impressed ive been in gaming alluding to the above is something like Spider Man Miles Morales which has a great story, impressive visuals (not mind blowing) and great set pieces.

I also love racing games such as F1 2021, WRC 9, GT Series, I also loved FH4 which was just so fun and refreshing.

In the past the original Halo, 2, 3 were some of my favourite games of all time, man the hype I had for those as a teenager was ridiculous.

But anyway, like I say Ill give this a go, can't say I am expecting much, people say the gameplay is fun, which is probably why ill play it but expecting nothing story wise and Im not really a ubi-style open world fan anymore (Valhalla killed it completely for me).

JLB

Banned
Awesome! Definitely great to see 343 nailing it with Halo (though H5 was, apart from the story and final enemy, a great and enjoyable campaign).
Is there any review that says if playing it on legendary is ok or just too hard? Dont want to start, shit my pants in the middle of the campaign and start all over again.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Says someone who calls people idiots fro having an opinion. You're a pathetic cry baby who got offended by my opinion and in the end had to resort to name calling. Sad individual.
Translation: "I don't get art, neither do I get the definition of objective and subjective or what philistine means, I just want to force my opinion onto others like its gospel and I am mad because people call me out for this."

Some people are really not having a good year seeing Xbox having a successful year.

Genuinely sad, if it bothers you, especially if it isn't a platform you're even interested in.

Some of you guys need to focus on the stuff you enjoy, you'll be much happier :)

Hopefully they keep this momentum into next year particularly with any new IP . Healthy competition between the platforms benefits us as gamers.

Concern

Learn something new everyday. "Biome" lol

Anyways. Pleasantly surprised with reviews. I've given 343 shit up until the first flight test. But even then I wasn't expecting much of the campaign but seems they proved me wrong again.

Legendary run is gonna be a bitch lol

Sakura

Can anyone explain to me why the game isn't actually launching at 12am on the 8th? It's like 10am PST and 1pm EST or some stupid shit.

reksveks

I generally like to be immersed in emergent story telling games or shown something that I find incredible from a gameplay perspective, it could be playing an incredibly tight set piece that has you controlling most of the action with incredible visuals or something that puts you in control but is addictive and fun but in a simplistic way.

Most impressed ive been in gaming alluding to the above is something like Spider Man Miles Morales which has a great story, impressive visuals (not mind blowing) and great set pieces.

I also love racing games such as F1 2021, WRC 9, GT Series, I also loved FH4 which was just so fun and refreshing.

In the past the original Halo, 2, 3 were some of my favourite games of all time, man the hype I had for those as a teenager was ridiculous.

But anyway, like I say Ill give this a go, can't say I am expecting much, people say the gameplay is fun, which is probably why ill play it but expecting nothing story wise and Im not really a ubi-style open world fan anymore (Valhalla killed it completely for me).

Sadly the games that Microsoft seem to currently produce with strong emergent storytelling seem to have the requirement of having 3/4 player groups like SoT or Grounded. That's a barrier for me sadly. There is possibility that Redfall also falls into that bucket.

In terms of the games with tight single player campaigns where the focus is on story, graphics and set pieces, I think unfortunately don't think we will get something like that until the Ninja Theory games. Starfield will be a different beast, more emergent but still too open world to be graphically best of class.

FH5 is a more interesting FH4 personally so hopefully you have given that a go.

I think that there is a type of game that Microsoft are clearly lacking currently but they are working on them. I just hope that they turn out good.

Edder1

Translation: "I don't get art, neither do I get the definition of objective and subjective or what philistine means, I just want to force my opinion onto others like its gospel and I am mad because people call me out for this."
Stop projecting. I literally did not initiate one conversation in this thread, yet I'm the one who's forcing his opinion, lol. All the conversations I had in this thread were people who got hurt by what I said and kept replying to me, trying to force their opinion on me.

If you can't handle another opinion then don't initiate a conversation, and please stop being so sensitive.

Last edited:

reksveks

Can anyone explain to me why the game isn't actually launching at 12am on the 8th? It's like 10am PST and 1pm EST or some stupid shit.
Cause it generally better for the rest of the world imo. Its a universal launch across the world so they had to find one time that made the most sense. There definitely is one timezone where its a shitty launch time, I think it might be AU/NZ.

Fredrik

Nice! I expected mid 80s so 87 is better than expected, and 10/10 both as first and second opinion at Gamereactor Sweden wooo! Can’t wait to jump in 👍

Top Bottom