• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Developer Critizes Jason Scheier for Leaking GTA 6 Announcement "I feel sorry for the people at Rockstar"

Stafford

Yup. Said it before, i wasn't expecting much anymore this year and it would have been way cooler to have seen that Rockstar announcement instead of having Jason spoil it. He really, really couldn't have kept his trap shut for those few hours? Clearly not.

Not the end of the world or anything, just shitty.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Boohoohoo. Schreier spoiled the annoucement of an annoucement. Boohoohoo.

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

C'mon ... I don't believe for a second there are actual GT6 developers crying their hearts out because the surprise that a GTA V sequel is coming got spoiled ... As if that was even a surprise after 90 videos were leaked last year ....

diffusionx

Gold Member
His job is to not diminish others work, and to put people who have done no wrong through anguish. He is a journalistist, he could have wrote as much as he wanted about GTA6 and it's pending launch after it was announced.
His job is actually not to do that, it is to report on the videogame industry. I don't even understand the concept of "diminish others work", news gets leaked all the time, see how literally every phone, tablet, laptop, CPU, etc., gets leaked ahead of time. There is an incentive to get info for high profile stuff and there is nothing more high profile than GTA6. I also do not see how anybody's work is diminished here.

GTA6 was announced a long time ago. Again, you're demanding that people obey the edicts of these giant corporations, well again it doesn't really work that way.

Last edited:
Yeah. The scum like schrier and others always try to steal the spotlight.
No announcement, no show, no teaser. nothing can be a surprise anymore. nothing can be uninterrupted marketing plan
Yikes.

Look, if it's a newsworthy scoop, that would be considered newsworthy to your audience, you report on it. Unless there's some kind of ethical problem with the subject matter or how it was received. Which very likely doesn't apply to this situation. It's a sequel to the largest gaming IP in the world, it checks all the boxes, and there's literally not a single valid reason to pass reporting on it to your readers.

Some very odd takes in here for sure.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yikes.

Look, if it's a newsworthy scoop, that would be considered newsworthy to your audience, you report on it. Unless there's some kind of ethical problem with the subject matter or how it was received. Which very likely doesn't apply to this situation. It's a sequel to the largest gaming IP in the world, it checks all the boxes, and there's literally not a single valid reason to pass reporting on it to your readers.

We all know they are making the game. I don't need another worthless schrier telling me that 3 days before the "surprise".

Who cares? The trailer and not the game is coming out in December,I could understand if it was the game release date.
I'm sure he's also heard the release date/ window as well, but didn't want to spoil it. That info would likely have been passed to him, same as the info about the trailer. Especially because release dates nowadays slip all the time, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense to include it in his published report unless he really felt compelled to do so.

AmuroChan

The journalist is also culpable. He was not compelled in any manner to release the info, he had to get his clout. That's the world we live on though.

What I don't understand is what the leaker gets out of it by going through a 3rd party. I see how Jason benefits from this, but the leaker gets zero benefits and all the risk, unless they're paid somehow for this info.

MarkMe2525

His job is actually not to do that, it is to report on the videogame industry. I don't even understand the concept of "diminish others work", news gets leaked all the time, see how literally every phone, tablet, laptop, CPU, etc., gets leaked ahead of time. There is an incentive to get info for high profile stuff and there is nothing more high profile than GTA6. I also do not see how anybody's work is diminished here.

GTA6 was announced a long time ago. Again, you're demanding that people obey the edicts of these giant corporations, well again it doesn't really work that way.
If you can't understand how leaking an announcement is diminishing other work, then we can go ahead and stop the conversation now. There is no take backs here, people have been dedicating years of their professional life for this moment, and it was robbed from them. Is the public somehow better off with this info? Did the gaming community not deserve the Megatron? (Megaton but I'll leave the Megatron reference in)

The only reason this isn't lambasted universally is because of enablers such as yourself, who defend this practice.

What I don't understand is what the leaker gets out of it by going through a 3rd party. I see how Jason benefits from this, but the leaker gets zero benefits and all the risk, unless they're paid somehow for this info.
The leaker could have been a friend, or friend adjacent. Could have been a disgruntled employee who wanted petty revenge for perceived wrongs done to them. Regardless, I doubt it was anyone with a current vested interest in this project

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting. Does this apply to every way you consume news that you digest, or just video games?
I don't understand?
What news? News are news. There is no ruining a "surprise" when something happens like war news. It's just news.

Stealing info and ruining a surprise "with a scoop" is another thing.

Imagine e3 2016. Someone walks on stage, in shadows... oh yeah, it's Kratos. We knew this 2 weeks ago. yeah move along to gameplay, we already know this.
Or ... WHAT IS THAT GAME?! a beach?! wait... is that NORMAN REDUS ?! oh yeah i forgot. We knew this 3 months ago. Obviously it's that rumor.

Thankfully, none of that leaked and we had this reaction. Live in homes too

1:40

cherished moments.
now sure... rumor mill can sometimes ENHANCE the surprise. but not straight out leaking stuff

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you can't understand how leaking an announcement is diminishing other work, then we can go ahead and stop the conversation now. There is no take backs here, people have been dedicating years if their professional life for this moment, and it was robbed from them. Is the public somehow better off with this info? Did the gaming community not deserve the Megatron?

The only reason this isn't lambasted universally is because of enablers such as yourself, who defend this practice.
There are people right now working probably 80 hours a week on the iPhone 16, and it is going to get leaked in a few months by some Chinese guy working on the molds. I don't see people crying for Apple every time this happens, which is every time, despite Apple investing a ton in chasing down leakers and firing them. This is just how it is.

If you really think that people "dedicated years of their professional life" to a tweet announcement, then... holy shit LOL. I guarantee one of those people was the leaker, because the story was accurate. He can only report on info he gets, from multiple sources (can't report on a story with only one source unless you are wildly irresponsible). Schreier isn't paid by Rockstar, he doesn't owe them anything, and he put out news that people wanted to hear. This is just reality.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The people at Rockstar will have had 10+ fucking year to work on one of the biggest IPs in the world with multiple studios. I only feel embarrassed for them that it has taken so fucking long. Sounds like a project management clusterfuck.

You haven’t heard of GTA Online or RDR 2 before?

I don't understand?
What news? News are news. There is no ruining a "surprise" when something happens like war news. It's just news.

Stealing info and ruining a surprise "with a scoop" is another thing.

Imagine e3 2016. Someone walks on stage, in shadows... oh yeah, it's Kratos. We knew this 2 weeks ago. yeah move along to gameplay, we already know this.
Or ... WHAT IS THAT GAME?! a beach?! wait... is that NORMAN REDUS ?! oh yeah i forgot. We knew this 3 months ago. Obviously it's that rumor.

Thankfully, none of that leaked and we had this reaction. Live in homes too

1:40

cherished moments.
now sure... rumor mill can sometimes ENHANCE the surprise. but not straight out leaking stuff

If he just posted a link for the leaked trailer or something I would agree, but merely reporting on something newsworthy that we all know is happening sometime soon anyway, I'm not seeing the issue.

Regardless, it's not a journalist's job to carry water for large corporations and hold off on publishing newsworthy stories/scoops just so that Rockstar's internal marketing plans aren't spoiled. That's on Rockstar to do better at not having their internal plans leaked. Last I checked, Schreier doesn't work for them. He works for Bloomberg, and he's literally just doing his job. Sorry you don't like that journalists exist, I guess?

MarkMe2525

There are people right now working probably 80 hours a week on the iPhone 16, and it is going to get leaked in a few months by some Chinese guy working on the molds. I don't see people crying for Apple every time this happens, which is every time, despite Apple investing a ton in chasing down leakers and firing them. This is just how it is.

If you really think that people "dedicated years of their professional life" to a tweet announcement, then... holy shit LOL. I guarantee one of those people was the leaker, because the story was accurate. Schreier isn't paid by Rockstar, he doesn't owe them anything, and he put out news that people wanted to hear. This is just reality.
This whataboutism is unproductive and a typical tactic for someone arguing a shitty position. If you believe that someone "just doing their job" alleviates them from the burden of doing the right thing, then you need a history lesson. Respond if you want, there is no debate here and I will not be participating further.

You haven’t heard of GTA Online or RDR 2 before?
As you can see from looking at a calendar, their output in the last decade has dropped like a rock. GTA Online has consumed clearly many years of development work that would've otherwise gone to making multiple other games. And RDR2 was tumultuous and took forever to finish.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This whataboutism is unproductive and a typical tactic for someone arguing a shitty position. If you believe that someone "just doing their job" alleviates them from the burden of doing the right thing, then you need a history lesson. Respond if you want, there is no debate here and I will not be participating further.
lol whataboutism

lol doing the right thing

it's not the right thing to just do whatever the marketing department of a company you don't work for wants you to do

I think Schreier is a cunt but he was doing the right thing by his employer with this article, giving a massive story on a game people want to know about, period.

Last edited:
His news were really unnecessary. If he had done that like 2 months ago to inform the audience the timeline for GTA, then ok. But on the day of the announcement? The only purpose it had was to say "Look! Someone told me that. I knew it already! Am I not cool or what?"
You have a newsworthy scoop, you report on it. Period. It's not complicated how it happened. Lots of very odd takes in this thread.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I sympathize with both camps, in so far as I think it's fucking lame being a professional weasel and leaking shit that has no journalistic impact a couple of weeks before it's formally announced.

By the same token, I also think this issue has a touch of some fan favorites, like "Why the fuck are you people acting like another entry in a financially profitable series getting announced is a fucking spoiler, touch grass," and "the entirety of the consumer base isn't the perpetually online type, so this is only to affect a percentage of potential fans and of that percentage, it's only going to really bother a portion,"

In light of heavy consideration of both sides, I've quietly come to a perfectly impartial conclusion:

Hahahaha Schreier is a tool

Who cares? The trailer and not the game is coming out in December,I could understand if it was the game release date.
yeah, that things've gotten to this point is completely ludicrous. the advanced announcement of an upcoming trailer for a game?! lemme outa here...

fart town usa

Gold Member
Agree completely and also why I try my best to avoid certain gaming news-related things.

There's nothing wrong with being surprised, all these leaks are lame to me and it's all for followers and clicks. I especially dislike all the Resident Evil leaks, I want to be surprised at annoucements. I don't want to read some sterile headline from a dork like Schreier.

YukiOnna

I despise him, so I feel no obligation to defend or come to an understanding that he's "just doing his job" I hope he's still getting spammed "skill issue" in his replies. But that aside, anyone giving him attention and leakers in general to the point they just become influencers and let it get to their head is part of the problem. It's all just one cycle. Him and Mochizuki show what kind of angle Bloomberg aims for

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL.

Well to be fair to Jason S, no gamers would get leaks if no gaming employees spilled the beans or uploaded videos of games in development.

How many other industries do you know where the millions of companies working on new shit has their employees going on Twitter or Reddit telling the world confidential info? It's not even solely gaming related. Whenever there's some sentitive info sent in company memos, even that stuff gets leaked (ie layoffs or the CEO doing a big statement about stuff). I'm surprised employees dont leak what's on the cafeteria menu that day too.

Gaming industry workers are a weird bunch.

- Zero ethics
- Often loud, annoying and entitled
- They all seem to love social media where Twitter is numero uno
- Cant separate home vs work. No wonder they tell the world about work issues like it's the same as telling people on social media what you ate for dinner

Last edited:

kevm3

Nobody should have even responded and just let it be up to speculation. They could have just simply chosen not to release the trailer in December, let everyone think it was a rumor and shock everyone by releasing it on new years

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nobody should have even responded and just let it be up to speculation. They could have just simply chosen not to release the trailer in December, let everyone think it was a rumor and shock everyone by releasing it on new years
Exactly.

There's some companies that say "no comment" or "we dont respond to rumours". And there's some that will acknowledge it as true.

A lot of these so called leaks are bogus anyway, so might as well play the numbers game and let gamers assume it's probably fake.

Quantum253

Didn't Jason do that long piece on the work culture and dysfunction at 323 and the Halo series current state? As a journalist, I see those stories making an impact. Tweeting (Xing?) a rumor ( or good sourced rumor) of a trailer dropping seems benign. Or feigning outrage from others. It would be one thing if he leaked the trailer itself, or even worse, alpha gameplay.
Still, everyone wants E-ttention now and scramble to get whatever they can out first (regardless of significance)

Sushi_Combo

Yikes.

People just hate anything and everything about Jason.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jason is just doing his job. If anyone is to blame, blame the snitch.
No doubt some loser at head office looking for fame and clicks for his anonymous Reddit account. The guy is miserable at his desk being grinded into the ground, he needs some pats on the back for gaming leaks from randoms.

People have been speculating that the game would be revealed for years. They could have ignored the 'leak' and just dropped the trailer next month.

If what they spoiled was a tweet confirming the games exists and will have a trailer next month... who cares? That's a nothing burger.

The trailer will break the internet no matter what, they will get their 'moment'

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Eh. hes just doing his job.

he leaked a tweet. big deal.

He actually knows a lot of stuff and has talked about not leaking it to the public because it makes no sense to do so. A GTA announcement is just an announcement. its not like he leaked plot details or something. Sports writers report on trades before they happen. Hollywood reporters report on movies before the are greenlit. this is the same.

Now if he leaked the trailer then sure. thats a bitch move.

Facts!

He leaked whatever a R* employee gave him. He's just doing his job. What exactly did he leak, an announcement of an announcement?!?

Muffdraul

I have no sympathy for R*. As a GTA fan who couldn't care less about online multiplayer shit, I feel EXTREMELY abused and left out in the cold by what they did for the last 10 years, sucking GTAO dry instead of getting the next GTA out in a timely manner. There's good business and bad business, and from my POV their absolute focus on GTAO at the expense of the next "real" GTA game is bad business. There needs to be a balance between squeezing out every last penny you can and not shitting on your customers. People like me, solo/campaign fanboys who don't play online have been more starving for next-GTA info than anyone. R* should have thrown us a bone years ago. No sympathy about the big leak or Jason's report. Bringing back memories of how R* announced GTAV and then said NOTHING for an entire year, except for two shitty screen shots. Treat your fans better, you dumb dicks.

EDIT: And, spoiled what surprise? Aside from even a moron being able to deduce that R* has been working on GTAVI for a long time, it's existence was already 100% confirmed back when the huge alpha leak happened. So Jason spoiled the announcement of an already redundant announcement trailer that everyone knew we'd been getting sooner or later. Oh boo-hoo, what a tragedy for R* and for all of us, really. Gosh, I hope Jason doesn't eventually spoil the exact release date of the trailer.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

He spoiled a game announcement. Not even a trailer. Just an announcement. He did his job. His job isn't to protect the industry, that's part of the problem to begin with these so called gaming journalists.

Mozzarella

I mean i can understand his point, yeah the reveal is now an expectation and it may backfire if it doesnt meet them.

But...I mean, its freaking GTA, what its going to be? some US City where you roam around with cars and kill npcs and police, watch cutscenes and play the same gameplay formula as any other GTA.
I honestly dont expect much, its a Rockstar game, they are super safe.

Boss Mog

"A spectacular surprise"? Yes I'm sure that we would all have been in a state of total shock that R* announced the sequel to the game that has been a best seller every month for a decade now. :pie_eyeroll:

Top Bottom