• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

Considering the almost overwhelming praise for Halo 4, this is one of those rare cases where I don't really give much credence to review scores and I'm genuinely interested to see fan reactions. I wasn't around for Halo 4's launch, what was the first week like on NeoGAF? Was there a period where it got glowing praise from early impressions of GAFers or was there dissent from the start?

Ombala

My prediction is that reviews will like the MP but feel unimpressed by the campaign.
Always feelt that MP was the focus of this Halo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ours:

Rocket Chainsaw - 4/5
Halo 5 Guardians is a fantastic game brimming with content, though some parts feel better than others. The story fails to live up to the franchise’s standards, due to an underdeveloped narrative, samey level design and an unnecessary focus on Locke. Nevertheless, polished gameplay, challenging AI, the superb portal of Blue Team and a mesmerising soundtrack redeem the campaign. Moreover, Guardians possess the best Halo multiplayer yet, with Arena and Warzone offering an intense and entertaining online experience. Arena successfully modernises Halo‘s multiplayer while retaining the traditional gameplay that fans adore. Warzone, meanwhile, is the best addition to franchise in some time, creating epic large-scale Halo battles we’ve only dreamed of playing until now. Ultimately, Halo 5 Guardians is a solid debut for the series on Xbox One, with excellent production values and superb gameplay. Multiplayer ticks all the boxes, and viewing the story as stepping stone on the way to Halo 6, I look forward to Master Chief saving us all again in the future.

Expecting mid 80's meta.

IGN-RIP? did they change their scoring system again?

Just a Review in Progress.

And for big Online focused games like this I appreciate any reviewer that holds back the review and sees how the online works on public servers. Doubly so for Halo after we saw how the MCC went. Halo 5 is completely different and more then likely a safe bet to work but ya know.. better safe then sorry.

No, they're just waiting for launch the subsequent flood on the servers to see how everything goes.

and then give it a 9.5 regardless.
not saying the game doest deserve, not at all.
im saying they did they did the same with mcc and in the end it didnt even matter, they barely deducted points for the mp when it wasnt even working.

bounchfx

sounds great overall, but this type of shit really irks me, all from giant bomb review:

Titanfall-style burn cards that, as a Warzone match continues, let you spawn in with more powerful gear... The higher-end card packs, of course, can also be purchased with real money.

I should note that there's no splitscreen option in Halo 5

Speaking of the end of Halo 5,
there isn't much resolution there. It's like someone sat down, played the previous Halo trilogy, and forgot that the conclusion of Halo 2 was impossibly frustrating in its day.
So they made that.

can't wait to play, though I wish devs would stop shoehorning in card-systems into multiplayer. there is some potential there, but it's all ruined once you add gamechanging/super powerful stuff available, let alone for purchase. one more day !

edit: watching some of the videos now, goddam, 60FPS is so fucking sexy after having just playing Halo 4's chopfest

Karak

ACG Rated it a Buy Link

Pros
Gunplay
Varied locals
Warzone is amazing fun
Music -EPIC
Sound - Excellent Mixing and tonal spread
Voice - Some welcome newcomers
Controlling AI

Cons
Story was better than 4 but not amazing
Repetitive boss battle
Regular Battle Makeup could be hit and miss
No huge open battles

drotahorror

I like this line from the giantbomb review - "One time I ordered Buck to fire on a turret, he shouted back "gotta deal with this first," and then I turned around to see him firing his weapon into a wall. Cool moves, man. I never did like Buck."

jmaine_ph

I like this line from the giantbomb review - "One time I ordered Buck to fire on a turret, he shouted back "gotta deal with this first," and then I turned around to see him firing his weapon into a wall. Cool moves, man. I never did like Buck."
That's hilarious.

Blastoise

Banned
On normal, yes.

I finished in about 6:45 on Normal, first playthrough. Legendary will take longer, finding all the collectibles (intel and skulls) will add more to that, and then of course there's multiplayer. I think the amount of campaign content is fair.

PS, my (campaign-centric) review: http://www.guidelive.com/video-games/2015/10/26/halo-5-guardians-campaign-review-xbox-one

Damn. Not worth it then to have to buy a whole new platform to experience this campaign.

oti

Banned
Good scores but kind of a shame. I wanted this to be "OMG YOU GOTTA GET AN XBOX FOR THIS" kinda good, like Uncharted 2 for the PS3. But it's another Halo that has to check all of the Halo boxes fans want and deserve so changing too much stuff would be pretty dumb I guess. Anyway, sounds pretty cool.

zsynqx

I imagine for multiplayer, reviews mean little and it will be the community who decides if it is a yay or nay?

GavinGT

Banned
Considering the almost overwhelming praise for Halo 4, this is one of those rare cases where I don't really give much credence to review scores and I'm genuinely interested to see fan reactions. I wasn't around for Halo 4's launch, what was the first week like on NeoGAF? Was there a period where it got glowing praise from early impressions of GAFers or was there dissent from the start?

There was hatred toward the COD-ification of its multiplayer even before release. Still, people were tentatively excited.

Lingitiz

I imagine for multiplayer, reviews mean little and it will be the community who decides if it is a yay or nay?

Sure, but there are some valid complaints like the lack of custom game options and splitscreen being brought up. Don't need to be a big Halo player to notice those.

Anung

Un Rama
Really disappointing if true :(

I was thoroughly lost in that story

It's an improvement over 4 in that you can actually follow what's happening in the games story. But there is stuff (like Locke) where I have no idea who he is or why I should care. I assume it's in expanded universe stuff.

Withnail

Calling a 95+ Metacritic average. Definitely gonna be the highest reviewed Xbox One/PS4 game to date. (Excluding GTA V, not sure if that counts. Since it's a late port of an incredible Xbox 360/PS3 game)

343 did the fanbase good. Incredible scores so far.

Hype is a powerful drug.

ZeroX03

Banned
As it stands, Halo 5 is near perfect. With slick gameplay, a fantastic campaign, and seemingly ambitious multiplayer, it gets little wrong. If you own an Xbox One or plan to buy it, this is why you're doing so.

I own an Xbox One but I didn't like MCC! Stop confusing me into buying Halo!

Bgamer90

Banned
Funny to see mixed impressions of the campaign. Some say it isn't that good while others loved it (videogamer.com; "Best of this gen!").

Hmmm about what I was expecting actually given some of the early impressions.

It seems the campaign is incredibly fun but bogged down a bit by the poor AI and lacklustre story.

Multiplayer reviews all seem to be incredible but the was to be expected after we all got to try the beta.

Top Bottom