• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games may indicate that they have bigger plans for the Decima Engine

They should focus more on actually making good gameplay rather than worrying about their techy visuals.

Their titles always had lackluster gameplay.
Zero Dawn clearly shows that it was their first attempt with the genre, but Forbidden West gameplay is very good. I think that with their last releases like Tlou2, Ragnarok, Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, sonys first party really made a big leap forward in developing mainstream games with very solid gameplay experiences.

Esca

No surprise, the engine has been getting used in more titles. It's going to be an engine for their games going forward for many titles.

Zero Dawn clearly shows that it was their first attempt with the genre, but Forbidden West gameplay is very good. I think that with their last releases like Tlou2, Ragnarok, Forbidden West, Ghost of Tsushima, sonys first party really made a big leap forward in developing mainstream games with very solid gameplay experiences.
Never said anything bad about other studios's gameplay. Forbidden West is practically same as Zero Dawn, just some new things. Honestly, it feels like a slog playing through imo.

Varteras

Gold Member
Never said anything bad about other studios's gameplay. Forbidden West is practically same as Zero Dawn, just some new things. Honestly, it feels like a slog playing through imo.

I felt the difficulty curve got too high, too fast, too early. My weapons constantly felt weak compared to what I was being forced to fight. In Zero Dawn, I welcomed virtually any enemy engagement. In Forbidden West, I just wanted to avoid most of them and that was before I was even a third of the way into the game. Because of that, I quickly lost any desire to explore and do side missions. Followed not long after by dreading what the main missions were going to throw at me. Most engagements devolved into me laying traps on an enemy's path. Because those seemed to be the only thing I had that did much damage to most enemies early on. And I had to hope I had the materials to craft more on the fly if things went South.

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind seeing the engine in more stuff. It delivers very ‘smooth/pleasing’ visuals, for lack of a better word.

nowhat

I felt the difficulty curve got too high, too fast, too early. My weapons constantly felt weak compared to what I was being forced to fight. In Zero Dawn, I welcomed virtually any enemy engagement. In Forbidden West, I just wanted to avoid most of them and that was before I was even a third of the way into the game. Because of that, I quickly lost any desire to explore and do side missions.
I'm not trying to tell you how to play a game, but the side quests in Forbidden West can give you quite nice gear (and also level you up, obviously). For example, in the tutorial area you can get the first version of the spike thrower. Which, while basic, is quite effective at the beginning of the game.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm not trying to tell you how to play a game, but the side quests in Forbidden West can give you quite nice gear (and also level you up, obviously). For example, in the tutorial area you can get the first version of the spike thrower. Which, while basic, is quite effective at the beginning of the game.

By the time I stopped bothering much with side quests, I hadn't seen anything to suggest that they would give me anything to help. Like I said, I felt Zero Dawn was perfect for how it handled difficulty at various stages. Maybe a little too easy at the end. FW just made so many engagements feel like mini-boss fights. Nearly every enemy just felt like it had so much damn health.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Let’s not forget Returnal, easily their best game ever in regards to gameplay. No cinematic bullshit!

midnightAI

Until Dawn was on the same engine. It all started with Killzone Shadow Falls.
Correct, several articles out there suggest that Horizon: Zero Dawn took so long was due to them writing Decima from scratch as well as making the game. This is wrong, three games came out before Zero Dawn that used Decima, first was Killzone SF, then Until Dawn (and you could argue none of Supermassive games have looked as good since), and then Rigs Mechanised Combat.

skit_data

Well, the Initiative for a Common Engine-team is still around IIRC?
Its possible that Decima could be the culmination of work going back to the PS3 days, since that was the original purpose of the team, no?

Aside from expanding Sony Studios and third party usage of the engine. Will they push it to be an UE5 competitor and make movies and series with it? All speculation from my side but it's hard to imagine how much work something like that would require when UE5 is so feature rich.

Whatever they are working on, it's nice to hear they're expanding the scope for this engine in particular because I find it has a lot of potential for commercial success.

Aaron Olive

Probably going to bring decima up to UE5 standards and feature set.
Yup was going to say the same….

Proper HDR support
World partition
Ray-traced rendering
NVME support for kraken compression for faster load times.
Better physics capabilities
Animation rigging improvements
Better PBR
Shader calculations
Collisions/clipping = Aloy’s hair!

I wonder if they will bring their own version of UE5's Lumen lighting system to it, or boost what they already have.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

They should focus more on actually making good gameplay rather than worrying about their techy visuals.

This is a delusional Take.

Engine is always a priority, you gotta keep evolving that engine to keep with current hardware & graphic trends.

As for Gameplay the combat & movement is top notch, maybe your complaints are about the climbing sections? Those sure need work.

Ronin_7

It's going to become the Sony engine.
Unlikely unless they can port the whole Naughty Dog, Insomniac and others code into it which is probably impossible.

The other teams also have their engine teams they just never named their engines but i can tell you that Insomniac couldn't give 2 shits about Decima 👍

Proper HDR support
World partition
Ray-traced rendering
Better PBR
Shader calculations
Scalability across platforms as well. So streamlining ports to a future console, and especially PC's. Maybe even mobile phones.

It's a good choice by Sony, to have an accessible engine with an advanced feature set for their first party titles and even 3rd party.

More importantly it'll save both Sony and the studios using it on time and cost, and they won't have to give any royalties to the owners as would be the case with UE5.

kikkis

Unlikely unless they can port the whole Naughty Dog, Insomniac and others code into it which is probably impossible.

The other teams also have their engine teams they just never named their engines but i can tell you that Insomniac couldn't give 2 shits about Decima 👍
Yeah I know, for new acquired studios it could work

What? Forbidden West’s gameplay is great. Combat is ace (still room for improvement with human to human) and the puzzle variety was hugely improved.

Moment to moment I’ve found it the second most engaging combat so far on PS5 (behind my current GOTY Returnal).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's going to become the Sony engine.
I hope not.

Naughty Dog engine.........every time they push the limits we question how they are getting this shit running on PS3, PS4......I await the moment I see their engine on PS5 and start thinking how did they fit this shit on this peasantry of a machine.

Insomniacs engine is so performant for them it doesnt make any sense, any sense to abandon it.....hell have we ever even seen Decima do any form of RayTracing?

HouseMarquee working with their voxel engine and Unreal Engine 5 sounds like a match made in heaven......I hope HouseMarquee got a bunch of dosh from Sony for their next game.

I dont think we have seen Santa Monica really stretch their legs yet, after what they did with God of War 3 and God of War'18 im waiting for them to give me that Cronos moment.

When I saw Ghost of Tsushima reveal, I was like whatever this engine is, SuckerPunch need to keep going with this, the fact the final game looked even better....ooooffff....people seem to forget its their own engine.

Three

No surprise, the engine has been getting used in more titles. It's going to be an engine for their games going forward for many titles.
I think it just means they have ambitious plans for improving the engine itself, though I'm sure more titles will use it too like Death Stranding 2.

Imagine Killzone 2 remake (or a new Killzone game, but like KZ2 and not like KZ3 or KZ:SF) on Decima Engine..
It will look like KZ:SF

That game was a launch PS4 game 10yrs ago and looks better than most games even today:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I felt the difficulty curve got too high, too fast, too early. My weapons constantly felt weak compared to what I was being forced to fight. In Zero Dawn, I welcomed virtually any enemy engagement. In Forbidden West, I just wanted to avoid most of them and that was before I was even a third of the way into the game. Because of that, I quickly lost any desire to explore and do side missions. Followed not long after by dreading what the main missions were going to throw at me. Most engagements devolved into me laying traps on an enemy's path. Because those seemed to be the only thing I had that did much damage to most enemies early on. And I had to hope I had the materials to craft more on the fly if things went South.
The upgrade system was extremely shitty. To upgrade the good weapons you need several random drops from tough enemies so you have to put in considerable time traveling to a site, killing one, traveling to another site, killing another.... repeat 10 times until you get the drop. If they need the Apex version, you need to keep notes of which sites on the map actually spawn those. It is obnoxious, grindy, bullshit, and fucking terrible. I absolutely hate it. I have no issue with needing to cleave parts off of things though. I actually enjoy that. It's the random drops and the fact that you need so many of them to upgrade weapons. Who the fuck thinks that this shit is fun? It is the worst kind of grindy bloat. Also why the fuck would you need an Apex ____ heart to upgrade a fucking bow? It's stupid as shit on top of being unfun.

They are among the best if not the best 3rd person combat designers in the industry.

I loved RE4 remake but the boss fights in that game... damn they are so simple and straight forward. Some of even the medium to small machines are deeper and more complex than any boss in that game.

Everything outside the combat though ok I agree.

nowhat

To upgrade the good weapons you need several random drops from tough enemies
...no. No random drops. Specific parts, which I think is a huge upgrade from the first game, where the drops are indeed random. With the sequel, you just need to have enough determination/effort to remove those specific parts, so it's skill instead of luck. Or you can turn on auto loot in accessibility settings if you don't like that system.

Correct, several articles out there suggest that Horizon: Zero Dawn took so long was due to them writing Decima from scratch as well as making the game. This is wrong, three games came out before Zero Dawn that used Decima, first was Killzone SF, then Until Dawn (and you could argue none of Supermassive games have looked as good since), and then Rigs Mechanised Combat.
I'm pretty sure that with Horizon they made a very big upgrade to handle open world

midnightAI

I'm pretty sure that with Horizon they made a very big upgrade to handle open world
Quite possibly, but engines evolve over time naturally, so that wouldn't surprise me, Killzone did have some quite open foresty areas though so may have already been in the plans when creating the engine.

I'm sure the next stuff they will be adding is ray tracing. Possibly improved global illumination, they can go all out with PS5 being the minimim spec.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Proper HDR support
World partition
Ray-traced rendering
Better PBR
Shader calculations
Doesnt Decima already have its own streaming solution that rivals if not bests World Partition.

I thought the physics in Burning Shores was pretty impressive as is.

Whats wrong with their PBR system in Decima?....Especially considering one of Unreals weaknesses atleast in 5.0 was its material system....alot of devs and people coming from other material systems usually critique Unreals material system.....it was one of the hardest things for me to grasp when making materials from scratch. If I use MegaScans or Vray Datasmith that basically automates the process but that still relies on me using another DCC so to speak to actually make the material then Datasmith converts it.....but when i look at the shader graph Datasmith has made in Unreal.....im like what the fuck is this?

What Shader calculations?

I'd argue that having a really good game engine is more important. Not only does it benefit the studio, but it can benefit many studios under Sony's umbrella and studios that they work closely with. This saves time/money and reduces the reliability on outside engines like Unreal and Unity. Also, I don't agree that their games lack in the gameplay department. In other areas yeah, but not gameplay.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Aside from expanding Sony Studios and third party usage of the engine. Will they push it to be an UE5 competitor and make movies and series with it? All speculation from my side but it's hard to imagine how much work something like that would require when UE5 is so feature rich.

Whatever they are working on, it's nice to hear they're expanding the scope for this engine in particular because I find it has a lot of potential for commercial success.

NO WAY will this happen. You guys don't understand just how great and smart the people at Epic are. It's basically unreal.....

Top Bottom