• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores PS5 - A Visual Masterclass

kingyala

Banned
The clouds are okay but then again the clouds don't even move... By itself its good but when you try to compare it to flight sim..its like a toy. Anyone think a game is gonna come close to FS in cloud rendering this gen?

flight sim is doing raymarching, horizon is doing voxel clouds the difference is in horizon you can interact with clouds and cave holes in them.. the usual raymarched clouds have been done since the ps3 era with games like warhawk... ace combat on ps4 also uses similar clouds to flight sim and so do other games like gt7 red dead and the default horizon cloud system....

A strong female can’t be beautiful.
she actually looks a little weak. She should be having this build. She’s a enhanced engineered clone.
Synne-Krokstad.jpg

And what is up with her skin? Is it some kind of beauty standard that i don't understand?
She has sun spots. Unwashed hair. Mostly unshaven. Because she’s basically a traveling hobo.

flight sim is doing raymarching, horizon is doing voxel clouds the difference is in horizon you can interact with clouds and cave holes in them.. the usual raymarched clouds have been done since the ps3 era with games like warhawk... ace combat on ps4 also uses similar clouds to flight sim and so do other games like gt7 red dead and the default horizon cloud system....
This is a joke right?

kingyala

Banned
This is a joke right?

what joke those are ray marched clouds.... go read about it and understand what its doing, ray marched clouds arent new theyve been used since ps3 days, flight sim just takes it farther with more resolutions and dynamism..

heres war hawk on ps3 ...
heres ace combat 7 on ps4...

heres an easy way of how they do this

Spyxos

Gold Member
yep most fancy new graphics techniques arent really that new as people think, we just have the power to do it better and at higher resolutions this days... but alot of graphics technology today was mostly invented in the ps3/360 era
I actually meant that the Warhawk video almost made me sick.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Definitely play Zelda first. Otherwise it will look severely underwhelming visually after this. If you're stuck for time you'll be glad to know this isn't super long expansion. Definitely quality over quantity and as a busy father I sure as hell appreciate it.

Yeah that was my reasoning haha

nemiroff

Gold Member
in horizon you can interact with clouds and cave holes in them
I guess that could make a fun thing for this game, but that's not really how clouds behave, at least in a way that it visually counts in this context. Wouldn't want that kind of unrealistic behavior in a simulator. Thick smoke yes, clouds no. Well, in certain rare freezing weather conditions you can sort-of visually punch holes through clouds with an aircraft I guess, but that's outside the norm.

You obviously have no clue how the complex cloud and weather simulation in MSFS works. So just go ahead and continue to latch on to words without context.

Disclaimer: I'm only replying to the specific comparison to MSFS.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
I guess that could make a fun thing for this game, but that's not really how clouds behave, at least in a way that it visually counts in this context. Wouldn't want that kind of unrealistic behavior in a simulator. Thick smoke yes, clouds no. Well, in certain rare freezing weather conditions you can sort-of visually punch holes through clouds with an aircraft I guess, but that's outside the norm.

You obviously have no clue how the complex cloud and weather simulation in MSFS works. So just go ahead and continue to latch on to words without context.

Disclaimer: I'm only replying to the specific comparison to MSFS.
what clue dont i have,,, horizon dlc uses voxel clouds flight sim uses raymarched clouds so what are u on about

nemiroff

Gold Member
what clue dont i have,,, horizon dlc uses voxel clouds flight sim uses raymarched clouds so what are u on about

Stop it.. How is it even possible that you don't understand how stupid it is to say that one use voxels and the other use raymarching? I mean, simply put, voxels "are" the volumetric clouds, and raymarching/raycasting is the rendering technique/lighting. In raymarching you step the ray (in some ways like raytracing, some ways not) through a volume to sample and calculate the lighting and shading for each point in the voxel grid. Which is basically how both horizon and msfs does it. And my point was also that the difference (like from HZD to HFW/BS lies in the graphical/data fidelity for one, and not the least the complexity of the underlying bespoke systems, f.ex. simulation of user interaction and/or simulating/animating a holistic weather system around it. Hence why I implied that your posts sometimes seems to lack context and awareness.

I'm not an expert in this matter, so I'd like to point you to GG's own presentations, they are of course much better at explaining this than I am.

From what I understand, the difference between HZD and HFW is that GG made the fidelity of the clouds more fit for close encounters by upping the quality of data and rendering. But AFAIK the fundamental technology behind it is the same.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
Stop it.. How is it even possible that you don't understand how stupid it is to say that one use voxels and the other use raymarching? I mean, simply put, voxels "are" the volumetric clouds, and raymarching/raycasting is the rendering technique/lighting. In raymarching you step the ray (in some ways like raytracing, some ways not) through a volume to sample and calculate the lighting and shading for each point in the voxel grid. Which is basically how both horizon and msfs does it. And my point was also that the difference (like from HZD to HFW) lies in the graphical/data fidelity for one, and not the least the complexity of the underlying bespoke systems, f.ex. simulation of user interaction and/or simulating/animating a holistic weather system around it. Hence why I implied that your posts sometimes seems to lack context and awareness.

I'm not an expert in this matter, so I'd like to point you to GG's own presentations, they are of course much better at explaining this than I am.
[/URL]

From what I understand, the difference between HZD and HFW is that GG made the fidelity of the clouds more fit for close encounters by upping the quality of data and rendering. But AFAIK the fundamental technology behind it is the same.
are you retarded the fucking techniques are different, digital foiundry just explained to ur stupid head... the voxel technique they use in ps5 dlc is too expensive and its why it couldnt run on a ps4 and the usual ray marched technique ran on a ps4. i dont understand why ur having mentstruation pains over this discussion... ive shown u that raymarched clouds where done since ps3... the new technique on the dlc is voxels.... tiny voxels are computationaly expensive and also memory expensive..... flight sim simply uses raymarched clouds with azure simulation... and high resolutions

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
are you retarded the fucking techniques are different, digital foiundry just explained to ur stupid head... the voxel technique they use in ps5 dlc is too expensive and its why it couldnt run on a ps4 and the usual ray marched technique ran on a ps4. i dont understand why ur having mentstruation pains over this discussion... ive shown u that raymarched clouds where done since ps3... the new technique on the dlc is voxels.... tiny voxels are computationaly expensive and also memory expensive..... flight sim simply uses raymarched clouds with azure simulation... and high resolutions
Jesus Christ.

I think the clouds look excellent in Flight Simulator and HFW expansion. I find it interesting the different techs the devs use to obtain these results.

I'm not sure why people are trying to shit on either when they are both great.

I'll say that Flight Simulator isn't my type of game so I'll probably never play it but HFW expansion does interest me since I completed the base game.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My nephew is playing the DLC nowadays. He is too young to actually play it but he likes flying on the Waterwing.

I'd look at the screen randomly, and often I'm completely in awe of how beautiful this game looks. Simply majestic.

PaintTinJr

Watched a couple of minutes into the video and really don't get the praise. For every tech-demo fx he talks about being amazing, the overall makeup of the game still has too many jarring issues. Issues that don't look out of place in say a Zelda BotW with a painterly fx renderer, but ones that really break the illusion in a realism leaning renderer.

Visually the game is all over the place IMO with ugliness and beauty present together in every shot when the game is in action. MGS4 on ps3 being ported to PS5 and just given a resolution bump overall would have a superior final image in gameplay for me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

John Linnemen alt meltdown?
One of the worst recent posters in memory. I actually lean more towards his views, but his combative behavior was very off putting. Insulting everyone in every single discussion I saw him have here. I am surprised he lasted this long.

Watched a couple of minutes into the video and really don't get the praise. For every tech-demo fx he talks about being amazing, the overall makeup of the game still has too many jarring issues. Issues that don't look out of place in say a Zelda BotW with a painterly fx renderer, but ones that really break the illusion in a realism leaning renderer.

Visually the game is all over the place IMO with ugliness and beauty present together in every shot when the game is in action. MGS4 on ps3 being ported to PS5 and just given a resolution bump overall would have a superior final image in gameplay for me.
The fact that he had just one throwaway line for the massive pop-in issue just speaks for itself. This was a puff piece with little to no thought put in like just John's TLOU video.

He talks about the settlement being vastly more detailed than anything else in the base game. Ok, but does it look better? No. It's too busy. It's too clutered. You cant see shit. it's an eye sore. Like much of the game especially the interiors. The jurrassic park level is so ugly Im surprised he didnt bring it up. stupid hologram lights mixed in with their awful interior lighting solution and low res assets just made it one of the ugliest levels ive ever seen. Every time i went into a ruin, I was like I cant see shit. I cant tell where a wall ends and another begins. Adding foliage makes things worse. The flying banshees a top the downtown skyscrapers run at what seems like 5 fps. Your own banshee essentially runs at the same speeds as the PS4 version. Why? What happened to this?

Ix4yQc5.gif

It's weird. I think TLOU2 was probably the best looking game of the PS4 generation. HFW is probably the best looking game of this generation. But as tech journalists, they have to take into account the new hardware and ask themselves why there was no upgrade in TLOU Part 1 and HBR despite being PS5. If anything, some things were worse. You can praise the game for the things it does right and HBR does a lot of things right but you cant give it a pass for some glaring issues.

SlimySnake

Stop it.. How is it even possible that you don't understand how stupid it is to say that one use voxels and the other use raymarching? I mean, simply put, voxels "are" the volumetric clouds, and raymarching/raycasting is the rendering technique/lighting. In raymarching you step the ray (in some ways like raytracing, some ways not) through a volume to sample and calculate the lighting and shading for each point in the voxel grid. Which is basically how both horizon and msfs does it. And my point was also that the difference (like from HZD to HFW/BS lies in the graphical/data fidelity for one, and not the least the complexity of the underlying bespoke systems, f.ex. simulation of user interaction and/or simulating/animating a holistic weather system around it. Hence why I implied that your posts sometimes seems to lack context and awareness.

It's so stupid that it's even an argument. Both games look absolutely stunning when you go up above the clouds. Coming out of the clouds to see the sun is that trinity moment from Matrix Revolutions for me. It was honestly breathtaking. But I can also admit that Flight Sim has amazing cloud simulations too.

I took this gif when Alex did his Flight Sim video 2 years ago. It's honestly mindblowing to see this level of visual fidelity in current gen consoles. HBR is probably more visually striking because GG is going for a more cinematic approach while Flight Sim goes for photorealism, but good god the clouds in both games are drool worthy.

u9yVCf5.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member
beyond impressive honestly.
all of these on an open world and without missing a beat performance wise.

guerilla should be giving industry wide masterclasses honestly, the "industry" definitely can use some
They kinda already do together with other developers in the industry. One of the most known grahphics communities where the industry shares experiences and knowledge is called SIGGRAPH (I suspect you might've heard that name already in context to their conferences).

And my link above is from one of GG's presentations at siggraph.

Last edited:

Alex11

It's so stupid that it's even an argument. Both games look absolutely stunning when you go up above the clouds. Coming out of the clouds to see the sun is that trinity moment from Matrix Revolutions for me. It was honestly breathtaking. But I can also admit that Flight Sim has amazing cloud simulations too.

I took this gif when Alex did his Flight Sim video 2 years ago. It's honestly mindblowing to see this level of visual fidelity in current gen consoles. HBR is probably more visually striking because GG is going for a more cinematic approach while Flight Sim goes for photorealism, but good god the clouds in both games are drool worthy.

u9yVCf5.gif
I saw some clips and screens of Flight Sim but, Jesus, this looks stunning, can't imagine how good it would look ingame at 4k.

Both games have phenomenal clouds, but, while it didn't play yet the dlc for Horizon, I don't like that sacrifice for the clouds, staying still, I can't be harsh though and call it a step back, don't know.

Top Bottom