• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growing obesity and ‘fat shaming’ in the middle east

kevm3

Telling people to lose weight is bad, why? Unless they are using derogatory terms, there is nothing wrong with telling people to live a healthier lifestyle. What's next, 'dude your a cigarette-o-phobe. Stop smoke-shaming me!'

Papa

Banned
For a variety of reasons listed below. Context is key.

And yes, there will be lazy folks that simply refuse to do the time or even rightfully admit that they don't give a shit that they look like what they are. I think that is the wrong attitude to have, but an attempt can be made to convince them over.

If not, then you don't have to invest the time in these people. They are happy with what they are, and if they are healthy, even better. The increased risk these people have is a risk they are willing to take.

I should start goldshaming people from Australia then.

Some people are born with a metabolism deficiency which will cause them to be overweight no matter the excercise. There are also various other diseases that cause this as a by-effect. Their immune system might get affected aswell, aswell as muscle strength, so that hitting the gym isn't even an option any longer, but fysiotherapy is the only way to retain mobility.

The opposite can also occur, that you get razor thin despite eating healthy a storm and excercising.

But i guess those people should just ''quit complaining and hit the gym, lardos''.

Bruh even for you this take is naive.

If those people explain their condition and it’s not just typical excuse making, then it’s an immutable characteristic and I won’t shame them for it. Very simple logic, easy to understand even for you.

Bruh I got you shook like a vape cashier.

Greedings

Telling people to lose weight is bad, why? Unless they are using derogatory terms, there is nothing wrong with telling people to live a healthier lifestyle. What's next, 'dude your a cigarette-o-phobe. Stop smoke-shaming me!'

I hate this "Fat shaming" thing too, but the reason it's bad is because it doesn't work. Just like telling people to stop smoking doesn't work, especially by "shaming" them. It's pretty well demonstrated that attacking people makes people double down on their bad behaviour.

Putting obese models on the cover of magazines/acting like being fat is healthy is a terrible idea.
Shaming people isn't a great idea either.
Helping people to understand their illness, and give them motivation to change themselves is basically the only thing that works long term.
Look at people who get bariatric surgery. They have a very expensive procedure, which dramatically causes weight loss. Yes around half gain the weight back. Those who didn't fully commit to the change just return to their original weight, and often times they're heavier after 5 years.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So because something doesn't conform with your preconceived ideas, it's shill research? I do the research into obesity and diabetes myself. I'm not funded by the nebulous "food industry." I'm funded by French and German research agencies. Tax payer money, not industry money.

Just look up leptin mutations. There a some very well characterised mutations in either leptin, or the receptor. They have HUGE effects. Now just imagine the mutations which have a very small effect - they're not characterised at all because they don't display a clear phenotype. Doesn't mean they don't exist. There's thousand of genes that affect food intake and metabolism, and we know barely anything about it.

The idea of "food industry" supporting various science frankly doesn't make sense - would salad vendors support science that says you can change, and McDonalds support data that you can't?

You also seem to be attacking someone who's not me. I said I was overweight, and haven't been for at least 8 years now. I didn't say one can't fight genetics, but that it's not as simple as "having self control" or "being lazy". I've never said that one should ignore health problems because they're genetic. My family has a ton of T2 diabetes. It's almost certainly genetic within my family. Doesn't mean I ignore it and eat sweets every day. I am careful about my carbohydrate intake.
Genetics doesn't mean you can't do anything about it. It a cause, but it's not set in stone. You can still fight a cause. Don't get so uppity because I'm disagreeing with you.
Sorry if I offend you but I'm a bit heated when it comes to that topic. Personal history with people I grew up with.

That said, you show me people who have weight issues despite showing serious, long term efforts of fighting those and then we'll talk about your studies. Because I have yet to see a single one. Eat non processed food and well... move. Live like a human being was supposed to. Long term, not just for a couple weeks to loose a few pounds. Your (and everyone else's) weight problems will vanish. Leptin or wahtever mutations or not. Seen it, been there.

Last edited:

Lucumo

My phone's pedometer says I walk around 7km every day - but I think it's an overestimate. I have a job where I walk around a lot, from one side of the insitute to the other, to my office, to my bench, to my students office, etc.

I was cycling 6km every day (3 up hill to work, 3 down hill home) but it's now too icy for that. Once the weather warms up I'll get back to it.
I know how to lose weight. I know how to keep it off. Doesn't make it easy. It's a constant struggle for me.
That is good then. Often enough, there are people who have issues but only concentrate on the food, never on all the other factors which also influence the weight. As for walking and cycling, it also depends on how you do it. Personally, I'm always really fast when I move from A to B which is obviously good (but not ideal when you have other people with you as they will always complain, haha).

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
If those people explain their condition and it’s not just typical excuse making, then it’s an immutable characteristic and I won’t shame them for it.
Seems like you forgot for a moment that we are on GAF and that you would have to mention this in your initial post or else you come across as a insensitive dick.

Very simple logic, easy to understand even for you.
Since you love to be blunt it would work in your advantage to highlight your nuance upfront. Maybe, just maybe, people may think ''Hey, that Golden Aussieboy isn't that blunt after all despite him saying that he is. He may actually be... likeable''.

The power of wishful thinking, am i right?

Bruh I got you shook like a vape cashier.
Please keep your Myer-Briggs test results at hand to see if your post matches your personality. If it does, good for you! You achieved your daily quota!

Papa

Banned
Seems like you forgot for a moment that we are on GAF and that you would have to mention this in your initial post or else you come across as a insensitive dick.

Since you love to be blunt it would work in your advantage to highlight your nuance upfront. Maybe, just maybe, people may think ''Hey, that Golden Aussieboy isn't that blunt after all despite him saying that he is. He may actually be... likeable''.

The power of wishful thinking, am i right?

Please keep your Myer-Briggs test results at hand to see if your post matches your personality. If it does, good for you! You achieved your daily quota!

Holy SHIT this boy is shook

lil puff

Being fat isn't healthy. Fat shaming works
You cannot just tease someone who does drugs (as an example) and make them stop.

It's way more deeper than that. What you are doing is show ignorance and feed the issue further. Care about people and listen.

Virex

Banned
You cannot just tease someone who does drugs (as an example) and make them stop.

It's way more deeper than that. What you are doing is show ignorance and feed the issue further. Care about people and listen.
Why should I listen to someone who stuff their fat asses with even more food. It's never the food right? Stop eating so much and do a bit of excercise and stop being a fat ass. Fat shaming works and I want even more fat shaming. Loud public fat shaming that everyone can hear and laugh

Last edited:

Dunki

shaming no. But there is a HUGE level of acceptance that is dangerous.

tess_holliday.jpg

This is not OK.

Chente Fernandez

Neo Member
Depends how one interprets shaming.

If a parent tells their kids to do well in school, and don't be a high school flunky, is that shaming? Not every kid gets straight As.
Sounds like good advice to me. Not all advice can be sugarcoated on a silver platter.

I'm pretty positive if you call the kid a "dumb fuck, good for nothing" you will not get the desired results

Obesity is definitely a problem and shouldn't be celebrated. That being said the definitions of what is actually considered "Obese" seem to be pretty vague. I'm 6'5" and according to the charts at the doctors my 290lbs is by all technicalities obese so should I be shamed?

Chente Fernandez

Neo Member
Obesity is definitely a problem and shouldn't be celebrated. That being said the definitions of what is actually considered "Obese" seem to be pretty vague. I'm 6'5" and according to the charts at the doctors my 290lbs is by all technicalities obese so should I be shamed?

Why are you posting online and not hitting the gym, fatso.

/s

cryptoadam

Banned

Yes.

Well not shamed but told that you are obese and should modify your diet and excercise or else you will have health complications.

I think your example brings up a problem which is society wants to change what overweight and obese means so those words lose their meaning. You said it yourself you don't think you are obese even though science says you are. Soon we will just move the goal post to where 400lbs isn't obese its just a few extra pounds.

There shouldn't be bullying, especially by strangers, but look at smoking. Treat it the same way. Most people won't go up to you on the street and bully you for smoking, but you can't turn your head without knowing that its bad for you, causes many diseases, and the general public think its gross (and I am a smoker myself).

(Generally speaking)
Your health has the greatest impact on your life.
What you eat/drink has the greatest impact on your health.
Your move, fatty.

Yes.

Well not shamed but told that you are obese and should modify your diet and excercise or else you will have health complications.

I think your example brings up a problem which is society wants to change what overweight and obese means so those words lose their meaning. You said it yourself you don't think you are obese even though science says you are. Soon we will just move the goal post to where 400lbs isn't obese its just a few extra pounds.

There shouldn't be bullying, especially by strangers, but look at smoking. Treat it the same way. Most people won't go up to you on the street and bully you for smoking, but you can't turn your head without knowing that its bad for you, causes many diseases, and the general public think its gross (and I am a smoker myself).
You see that's the problem though because it's not that I don't consider myself Fat it's that i'm not. I own a trucking company and throw chains and straps for 12 to 15 hours a day so you tell me that I need to modify my diet or exercise is funny since I don't eat bad and I exercise considerably more than the average person through working. I'm not saying we need to change what the words mean I just think the words themselves are vague in definition considering there are so many factors that go into them. I guess it doesn't matter either way since i'm perfectly healthy and most of the people who claim they would shame me probably wouldn't to my face I just felt like addressing the whole terminology being a little vague.

cryptoadam

Banned
You see that's the problem though because it's not that I don't consider myself Fat it's that i'm not. I own a trucking company and throw chains and straps for 12 to 15 hours a day so you tell me that I need to modify my diet or exercise is funny since I don't eat bad and I exercise considerably more than the average person through working. I'm not saying we need to change what the words mean I just think the words themselves are vague in definition considering there are so many factors that go into them. I guess it doesn't matter either way since i'm perfectly healthy and most of the people who claim they would shame me probably wouldn't to my face I just felt like addressing the whole terminology being a little vague.

Are you a big mass of muscle? Sounds like you do a lot of heavy lifting at work which would make you very muscley. Arnold wasn't fat but his BMI probably was very high but I don't think we can apply that to body builders and muscle guys. But if you have a belly and some love handles then you would be at least in the overweight catagory (but not the obese catagory).

I think everyone can be grown up enough to know that a 290 lb guy of muscle isn't the same as a 290 lb guy of fat. No one is going up to body builders and calling them fatties. But often times we try to rationalize our weight. I just have a belly or some love handles its nothing, and then next thing you know you are 10 pant sizes bigger. BMI isn't perfect science it works well on a macro level and in generalizations, but you can find exceptions on the individual level. Just like I am willing to say that some people are overweight due to medical issues, but on a macro level it isn't medical defects or conditions that is causing 40% obesity in the USA.

Are you a big mass of muscle? Sounds like you do a lot of heavy lifting at work which would make you very muscley. Arnold wasn't fat but his BMI probably was very high but I don't think we can apply that to body builders and muscle guys. But if you have a belly and some love handles then you would be at least in the overweight catagory (but not the obese catagory).

I think everyone can be grown up enough to know that a 290 lb guy of muscle isn't the same as a 290 lb guy of fat. No one is going up to body builders and calling them fatties. But often times we try to rationalize our weight. I just have a belly or some love handles its nothing, and then next thing you know you are 10 pant sizes bigger. BMI isn't perfect science it works well on a macro level and in generalizations, but you can find exceptions on the individual level. Just like I am willing to say that some people are overweight due to medical issues, but on a macro level it isn't medical defects or conditions that is causing 40% obesity in the USA.
Absolutely and i'm not trying to minimize the absolute ridiculous rise of obesity. I was just pointing out that on a terminology standpoint I am borderline obese just because that term is used to cover such a wide range of people. I just don't think that BMI works all that well on a macro level either. Of course it's based on personal experience which is obviously going to be a little biased.

cryptoadam

Banned
Absolutely and i'm not trying to minimize the absolute ridiculous rise of obesity. I was just pointing out that on a terminology standpoint I am borderline obese just because that term is used to cover such a wide range of people. I just don't think that BMI works all that well on a macro level either. Of course it's based on personal experience which is obviously going to be a little biased.

My BMI would probably put me at underweight but I have a small belly and some love handles LOL. Just nothing on my chest/legs/arms LOL.

I think we have swung so far in the opposite direction that maybe being a little over bearing on overweight and obese isn't wrong. If we can get to a point where obeseity isn't a problem then its not an issue if we scale back where overweight starts, but the point we are at today I don't think we need any more excuses for society. I would rather be stricter on the language to get people at a healthier weight then lax and see obesity shoot up into the 50% range.

Dontero

Banned
Genetics have a huge effect on how we eat and how we metabolise food. Saying it has no impact is ignorant.

He didn't say this. He said people (and now you) manufacture bullshit argument that does not apply to real life in excuse. Fact is that 99% of people don't have genetic issues. So leave out your bullshit argument and don't even go in that way.

Obesity is simply being lazy. Simple as that.
Because it only require TO NOT DO SOMETHING in order to lose fat.

Your argument is effectively: "vaccines don't work because there is this rare disease that can't be fixed by vaccines"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He didn't say this. He said people (and now you) manufacture bullshit argument that does not apply to real life in excuse. Fact is that 99% of people don't have genetic issues. So leave out your bullshit argument and don't even go in that way.

Your argument is effectively: "vaccines don't work because there is this rare disease that can't be fixed by vaccines"
I agree.

99% of fatties are fat because they eat too much. And unless someone does have an odd metabolism burning up calories (I do know a guy who eats junk food all day and never exercises and is thin), most fatties who claim "I have slow metabolism" is lying.

It takes a certain amount of energy to get by daily life, and anyone saying they eat salads and water all day and still can't lose weight is BSing. Just like all the fucktards at work who eat soup and salad for lunch, never loses a pound........ "I have slow metabolism"........

....... and then they leave the company and someone has to go in a clean out their desk and they find chocolate bar wrappers and bags of empty chips. Lying assholes.

Last edited:

Airola

"Stop being a fatso" or "stop eating too much food" works just as well as saying stop being an asshole to an asshole works. Calling fat people lard-asses work just as well as calling assholes assholes work.

Hedonism runs this world and it's a much deeper issue than just simply claiming "they just can't keep their hands off their fridge" is. Hedonism is at the core of general assholes and people having anger problems too. They can't stay neutral when the urges to be asshole or get anger fits hit them. It is far more pleasing to them to go with those urges instead of not following the urges. Not

Personally I'm a lazy fuck and a fat bastard (gladly not morbidly obese though). I oogle titties very gladly and I collect physical stuff more than I should and I have a gambling problem because by god it's easier to get the quick bursts of enjoyment than not.
But then again while those things are hard to me, I have zero issues with for example alcohol or any drugs out there and I'm really good at being calm and not getting angry with people. I managed to stop drinking alcohol way way way early (I drank my last alcohol drink when I was 18 and I've been drunk five times before that at most) and I have zero cravings for beer or any alcohol or any drugs out there and I never get to feel any negative things they might bring. It is really easy for me to say to people who drink alcohol and later regret it (yes, you ALL regret it from time to time just as fat people regret their eating for time to time) that you drunks should stop drinking because I've overcome that certain type of hedonistic mentality, but I'm not too quick to do that because god knows how much I lack spine in so many other issues.

I'm not saying things like fatty food shouldn't be regulated or that people shouldn't tell others to get more healthy, but I'm just saying that if you think that obnoxious shaming should be the go-to response for things you don't have a bad problem with but others might do, then you should also accept the same thing for things that are a problem to you (and yes, you - exactly you - surely has plenty of other problems, some of which you don't even dare to admit). If shaming should be the thing to do with fatsos, it should be the thing to do with everything. Otherwise it's just all about you being picky at what things should be shameful and what shouldn't and that would make you a hypocrite.

Stop drinking beer you alcoholic fuck.
Stop smoking weed you damned pothead.
Stop consuming porn you perv.
Stop having one night stands you sexual deviant.
Stop getting angry at other drivers when you are driving.
Stop getting into heated arguments.
Stop spending too much time on video games.
Stop working too much you family-ignoring fool.
Stop this and stop that. Especially stop whatever caused you trouble yesterday or last week or last month. What, you don't have one? Well, then stop lying you damned liar.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who might feel a bit angry because you think those things I just wrote aren't REAL problems. But fuck it, you can fully well live without any of that but you choose to not do it because you don't have the spine to do it.

Yeah, this is quite a lengthy post to justify my sweet-tooth and overeating candies and greasy stuff, but that doesn't mean this post wouldn't state truths too.
In short, the impulse to feed our hedonism by eating isn't that much different from an asshole's impulse to do asshole things.

One more thing, if you REALLY want that people would listen to you shaming them and that they would change their lifestyle, just know that the only possible way for them to ever listen to you is that they respect you enough to think what you are saying matters. Chances are they don't and chances are you are not doing a good work in gaining that respect. No-one gives a shit about someone who they think isn't important enough for them to show the results of change to. In that kind of a situation you are just being an asshole, nothing more, nothing less. Only when you have respect from them is when your words might have any helping effect, and when you don't have that respect chances are they either stay the same or you have made situation even worse. And that's why this is not a black-or-white issue and why you need to have more tact with your approach.

Dunki

@ Airola Airola it should be treated as other people treat smokers and smoking in general.

The general consens should be that it is not accepted. When you enter a certain wage it is not a good thing to tell these people that they are ok how they are. No you are obese here is a video about obesity and the dangers of it for your body and health in general. No you are not ok like you are right now but I will support you to get away from this.

bilderberg

For everyone saying fat shaming doesn't work, can you at least concede that it can be Plan B? Lets say we do everything by the book. Inform people about the dangers of junk food and importance of exercise(who the fuck doesn't already know that, but that's besides the point). Would it not be a good idea to fat sham afterward if that approach fails? Or are feelings still more important than their health? We can start off slow and just sprinkle it into conversation every so often. "Hey how's the wife and kids doing? Also, you seem to be getting quite fat." Afterwards you can progress into more and more extreme levels of shaming. It's not like we have to start at 11.

And how can people say "fat shaming doesn't work." I'm living proof it works. I believe a myriad of options will work across different people. If any of us knew the full proof plan of what works and what doesn't we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic.

Greedings

Sorry if I offend you but I'm a bit heated when it comes to that topic. Personal history with people I grew up with.

That said, you show me people who have weight issues despite showing serious, long term efforts of fighting those and then we'll talk about your studies. Because I have yet to see a single one. Eat non processed food and well... move. Live like a human being was supposed to. Long term, not just for a couple weeks to loose a few pounds. Your (and everyone else's) weight problems will vanish. Leptin or wahtever mutations or not. Seen it, been there.

I mean...I've met children and adults who are severely obese.
One of my medical colleagues who works with obese people published on a newly identified mutation a few years ago: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1406653
This is just one example of a novel mutation, but they see hundreds of kids and adults every year who have problems.
I also thought of another personal example, my step mother had a growth in her thyroid, this caused her to rapidly gain weight. They cut it out and she lost everything almost immediately. If a thyroid hormone secreting growth can cause such things, could you not imagine that some people have high T3/T4 compared to others?
I don't know what to say other than the evidence points one direction, and you're covering your eyes because you don't like what it says.

99% of people don't have genetic issues? Please provide some sort of data to back it up. As I said previously, we've currently only identified the small number of severe mutations which cause obesity, but what about the more subtle ones? Is it so inconceivable that a single nucleotide change can make you slightly more hungry, or make you store slightly more fat? Why is it so hard to believe?

Please show me where I said that a genetic predisposition is an "excuse". I've pointed out many times that any genetic alterations are not the be-all and end-all of life. You can have a predisposition, yet still lose weight. You're putting words in my mouth, or directly ignoring what I'm saying.

My argument is that there are multiple reasons and multiple levels of what causes obesity, and that shaming people doesn't do anything.

People displaying a complete blindness to how biology works is rather eyeopening. I didn't know obesity was such a sensitive topic for many.

For everyone saying fat shaming doesn't work, can you at least concede that it can be Plan B? Lets say we do everything by the book. Inform people about the dangers of junk food and importance of exercise(who the fuck doesn't already know that, but that's besides the point). Would it not be a good idea to fat sham afterward if that approach fails? Or are feelings still more important than their health? We can start off slow and just sprinkle it into conversation every so often. "Hey how's the wife and kids doing? Also, you seem to be getting quite fat." Afterwards you can progress into more and more extreme levels of shaming. It's not like we have to start at 11.

And how can people say "fat shaming doesn't work." I'm living proof it works. I believe a myriad of options will work across different people. If any of us knew the full proof plan of what works and what doesn't we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic.

Education doesn't really work either in many cases. It's a good preventative tool to stop people becoming overweight, but as with smoking or drinking, a lot of people know the health risks and continue to do it. Shaming doesn't work because people just double down on their eating. The weight loss generally comes from some sort of motivation or self reflection.

I think it's kind of amusing how people think that fat people have no clue they're over weight. You don't really need to tell them, when they look down and see their belly flopping around, they know.

bilderberg

People displaying a complete blindness to how biology works is rather eyeopening. I didn't know obesity was such a sensitive topic for many.

Education doesn't really work either in many cases. It's a good preventative tool to stop people becoming overweight, but as with smoking or drinking, a lot of people know the health risks and continue to do it. Shaming doesn't work because people just double down on their eating. The weight loss generally comes from some sort of motivation or self reflection.

I think it's kind of amusing how people think that fat people have no clue they're over weight. You don't really need to tell them, when they look down and see their belly flopping around, they know.

How can you definitively make that claim? I'm telling you fat shaming worked for me.

Last edited:

Airola

@ Airola Airola it should be treated as other people treat smokers and smoking in general.

The general consens should be that it is not accepted. When you enter a certain wage it is not a good thing to tell these people that they are ok how they are. No you are obese here is a video about obesity and the dangers of it for your body and health in general. No you are not ok like you are right now but I will support you to get away from this.

Well, people didn't and people still generally don't shame others for having the symptomps of smoking. It's not as if people go around and tell people with yellow teeth or broken lungs or bad cigarette smell or a cancer that hey you fucking idiot, get a grip on yourself.

It wasn't that long ago when people still thought smoking was cool as hell. People even pressured others to smoke and questioned why they aren't smoking. The same goes with alcohol and with some other substances too.

The thing that worked was to have states regulate your smoking. And even then it took time to lessen the "smoking is what cool people do" image.

I agree with you in that it's good to show the dangers of being overweight, but that's not shaming.

And I also think it's not a good thing to go to the opposite of shaming and start to glorify being overweight, just as it isn't good to glorify any other harmful things. Telling people they are brave because of their weaknesses is not a good thing at all. But going the opposite route of that and shaming people for their weaknesses is not good either. Facts are facts and I think people should be ok with that. And if someone has the will to shame or call people names because of their weaknesses they should at the very least hide it in jokes. I'm all ok with fat jokes. At least there's some intelligence and thoughtfulness behind that and in the perfect situation it will make the fat person laugh and have them change the direction they are going to. But going the route of feeling the need to tell people they are disgusting fatsos doesn't work.

DavidGzz

It's funny that someone fit like me is adding to the overweight category though since they go by BMI. I am borderline obese at 12-13% bodyfat.

DavidGzz

Genetics play a huge role until people are locked in a metabolic ward then that excuse dies a deserved death. We all have a calorie requirement to maintain our weight. You simply need to eat below it to lose or above it to gain. Thermodynamics.

Dontero

Banned
99% of people don't have genetic issues? Please provide some sort of data to back it up. As I said previously, we've currently only identified the small number of severe mutations which cause obesity, but what about the more subtle ones? Is it so inconceivable that a single nucleotide change can make you slightly more hungry, or make you store slightly more fat? Why is it so hard to believe?

Here is why it is so hard to believe:

Look at those all fat people with their genetic diseases having problems with losing weight.
Your excuse simply does not apply to real life. Your argument is like needle in haystack.

Fact is that if you have fat on yourself in excess it means you overeat.

It's funny that someone fit like me is adding to the overweight category though since they go by BMI. I am borderline obese at 12-13% bodyfat.

BMI is based on average body mass for people who are not buff.
But i don't see a point of you even using BMI when you calculate body fat ratio.

BMI is for common uneducated commonfolk who don't know anything.
It is "good enough" metric for most people.

Stop drinking beer you alcoholic fuck.
Stop smoking weed you damned pothead.
Stop consuming porn you perv.
Stop having one night stands you sexual deviant.
Stop getting angry at other drivers when you are driving.
Stop getting into heated arguments.
Stop spending too much time on video games.
Stop working too much you family-ignoring fool.
Stop this and stop that. Especially stop whatever caused you trouble yesterday or last week or last month. What, you don't have one? Well, then stop lying you damned liar.

This argument never works. You can't put into same category people who have actually chemical addiction and behaviors
And yes alcoholics don't have free out of jail card because there is no chemical addiction like for drugs.

If you follow such line then literally everything is disease. Lack of money ? disease.
Not liking work ? Disease. And so on.

Being alcoholic is not different than holding political view.

DavidGzz

BMI is based on average body mass for people who are not buff.
But i don't see a point of you even using BMI when you calculate body fat ratio.

BMI is for common uneducated commonfolk who don't know anything.
It is "good enough" metric for most people.

I know all about BMI, I just find it funny that even lifters like me are adding to the pool of the overweight for example if a survey is taken. I do wonder how they get their statistics. Hospitals? The only ones who don't are the skinny or small but fit people.

Yes, I was going to bring up concentration camps to answer the genetics BS but I didn't want to offend anyone. I guess that would get me banned on that other forum, lmao.

Last edited:

Alfen Dave

You have to create a culture that encourages exercise and eating right. Most nations fail miserably at this. I would say Serbian people are a good example to follow. They encourage being fit, sports and exercise, eating healthy foods. They also don’t discourage competition among children, they integrate it.

Obesity and wieght problems are mostly nutrition based and not necessarily an exercice problems; Japan has low obesity rate, despite their highly sedentary lifestyle; ramen are definitely more healthy than piza and burgers (if you get the picture).

Dontero

Banned
I know all about BMI, I just find it funny that even lifters like me are adding to the pool

You do, but you don't realize just how few of people like you are in population.
You being buff makes almost 0 impact on BMI creation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom