• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphics detail and SSD bandwidth.

Yup, I'm really eager to see DF cooperation videos between the PS5 and XSX in various third party games. I'm sure we are going to see some more storage based pop-in on XSX for instance.
Yup, but like the GPU difference I don't think it will show up very often, this or they will load lower quality assets to mitigate the pop-ins... in the games that require that much data in certain areas, which as of now is zero.

DrKeo

I just want to pay 600€ for a 24GB machine. Is that a crime?
I'm a PC gamer, just name your price and I've spent it in order to have some piece of hardware. Where is my 16 core 32 threads 5Ghz with 16TF and 32GB of 1TB/s HBM2 PS5?

Yup, but like the GPU difference I don't think it will show up very often, this or they will load lower quality assets to mitigate the pop-ins... in the games that require that much data in certain areas, which as of now is zero.
Yes, I agree, in this coming generation, you will have to use a magnifying glass to see the XSX GPU advantage and the PS5's SSD advantage. We've had generations with x100 difference in storage speeds, x5 difference in GPU power, x3 difference in CPU power, and x3 difference in memory size. This gen is insanely close in power.

Last edited:
I actually think Guerrilla made Decima with frustum culling because they already knew Sony's plans for PS5 with extreme fetch bandwith.
The thing that will blow our mind is that it's even easier to make this kind of engine when you have higher bandwiths that the SSD provides, compared to the slow spindle. It's actually bonkers that Guerilla achieved the quality they did with so slow fetch bandwith.
Remember that Decima logo on the leaked PS5 devkit gui pic? I get the feeling that all Sony's 1st party games will use the upgraded Decima engine on PS5. There may be some odd-balls out, but the majority probably will.
No engine can be best at everything,ofcourse, but the frustum aspect of it will be key for the PS5 to leverage it's extreme ssd bandwith.

Every engine in existence has occlusion/frustum/backface culling and has been capable of it for the last 20 years.

Handy Fake

Every engine in existence has occlusion/frustum/backface culling and has been capable of it for the last 20 years.
Doesn't frustrum culling cause issues with RT unless it's done properly?
I mentioned on another thread, a poster cited the example of a tunnel and where the end wasn't seen and 'culled', light would come through and spoil the illusion.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I'm a PC gamer, just name your price and I've spent it in order to have some piece of hardware. Where is my 16 core 32 threads 5Ghz with 16TF and 32GB of 1TB/s HBM2 PS5?

Yes, I agree, in this coming generation, you will have to use a magnifying glass to see the XSX GPU advantage and the PS5's SSD advantage. We've had generations with x100 difference in storage speeds, x5 difference in GPU power, x3 difference in CPU power, and x3 difference in memory size. This gen is insanely close in power.

CfyhkRG.jpg

This. This is the only answer that has been logical thus far. The OP and many others have been stating or at the very least are guilty of implying otherwise. SSD's will let developers load higher quality assets faster. It will not let them load more assets of higher quality.
This is the problem with the image that you responded to, it's misleading, it only shows what is possible at the lowest effort, when the disc is fast enough not only can you keep in memory what is directly or soon to be visible you can also only keep the necessary level of details for each object, enabling you to use more memory and ressources on the character that stands 1tf away from the screen and load the smallest lod for rocks and details in the mountain... then as you get closer you load (from SSD) gradually the higher details lods, textures, etc. even ennemies can be more varied as you don't need to keep as many models for them in memory in a given area.

The benefits are two fold:
You spend less compute power on the far away objects (their LOd object needs much less polygons and textures than they used to) which means you have that compute power for the objects near the camera.
You also have more memory to hold the objects that are near the camera, thus more details are possible--where it counts.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, it's from Insomniac GDC talk about the Spider-man technical postmortem. They talk about streaming the low-quality MIPS first and the MIPS0 load fast enough that they load before you turn and see the shops. I guess that's why Cerny chose to show Spider-man for the SSD demonstration, it's already built really well for streaming:

(I don't have the exact time-stamp but the whole talk is extremely interesting :))
They have the initial 20MB of the tile streaming in before you reach it but when you enter the tile, they are still streaming 12MB per second of data around you. Obviously it's cruder than what the PS5 and XSX can do and also results in some pop-in, but the idea is similar, having the low-quality assets in memory while the MIPS0 load and if the fail to load in time, no big deal, you get a tiny pop in for a fraction of a second.

edit:
I've timestamped the video.

Talks about it 18 minutes in on how since you can swap out the HDDs, they had to come up with a min-spec baseline due to people be able to put in really shitty and slow HDDs. That the mechanicals held back what they could have fed to the GPU.

These new IOs, RAM management and SSDs are going to be the next gen game changer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom