• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU Oversupply Spills Onto the Streets in Vietnam

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Building your own computer is great but a little overrated cmon you upgrade your darn gpu every year?

Midn1ght

You've gotta be shitting me. I spent July and August in Vietnam.
I doubt I'd have found anything actually interesting but it would have been fun to see.

Have a lot a family there. Hmm...

Portugeezer

How badly affected are these GPU's in real world terms?

Like, do they perform noticeably worse? Do they die quickly?

Denton

Fully working Palit GamingPro 3080 Ti with 2 years of warranty on it that was used for mining for 6 months in well ventilated room, for 600 dollars - is that good purchase or not?
I am thinking about it.
For reference, cheapest new 3080 Ti costs 1070 dollars here.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Fully working Palit GamingPro 3080 Ti with 2 years of warranty on it that was used for mining for 6 months in well ventilated room, for 600 dollars - is that good purchase or not?
I am thinking about it.
Just for comparision, i paid 2200 euro for mine(rogstrix oc version, but in terms of performance its probably 1-2% difference only), bit over year ago, 600$ is great price for basically 3090 class card with just half of vram(but still it has more than enough vram to run everything maxed on 4k) here u can see quick ez gpu performance comparision tool https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080-ti.c3735 thats basically 2x ps5 gpu power u getting right there.

Filben

There's actually little data on this beyond anecdotal stories (or the data manufacturers hold internally) on GPUs specifically.

However, there is electromigration and oxide breakdown that increase with heat on transistors (which we find on GPUs). Also, metals expand under heat and solder (also found on GPUs), as it is a metal alloy, will do that, too. That was often the reason so many Xbox 360 died back then; probably cheap and/or cheaply applied solder. Typical consumer behaviour is to heat up hardware for a short burst of gaming and cool it down. Unless your QA sucks, circuit boards and solder should be designed withstand the intended usage over the product's lifespan. I remember my dad telling me in the 90s it's bad to quickly switch on and off electronics. That's true to a point. Other data, however, suggest that junction temperature above 125°C will decrease life span exponentially, but those are temps never reached, even on a hotspot, on a GPU.

So in terms of your GPU there's a lot of data to process and apply when you want to give (or get) a definitive answer. If you're further interested on that topic, look up the Arrhenius equation; and electromigration on GPUs.

I'd say if your GPU don't belong to those 3% average RMA cases (over all manufacturers) that will be faulty no matter how you run it anyway you'll be fine.

What could happen, though, is that the thermal paste became dust after prolonged use and heat. I bought a used Xbox One X and the fan was noisy as fuck, like a jet. This is what the paste looked like:
u8Crxsd.jpg

I removed it, applied new one and the fan ran fine and much more silent.

So if you buy a card with warranty already void, I'd recommend to check the paste.

lukilladog

Most are in perfectly working condition... if you want to be 100% sure you could bumb memory clock a little bit with msi afterburner and if it cannot take it, return it or don't buy if locally.

Last edited:

Aenima

Linus Tech did a test comparing used mining cards vs brand new ones, and the conclusion is that they perform as good as the new ones. But they have been heavely used so the durability is always a gamble. So its worth it if you are saving a good amount of money compared to the price of a new one, but not so much if you just saving a few bucks.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am thinking about it.
I bought RTX3080 Suprim, few months ago for like 12500CZK with another 2 years of warranty, it works perfectly, I am using it for ML service pretty much 24/7 and it's completely without a hitch. And it's pretty much silent

*ML stuff still stress the GPU as well as memory (well the way I am using it anyway), so any issues would be noticeable.
**It was also mining card

Last edited:
You've gotta be shitting me. I spent July and August in Vietnam.
I doubt I'd have found anything actually interesting but it would have been fun to see.

Have a lot a family there. Hmm...
Was the vacations good? I wanted always to visit this countries. Vietnam, Thailand they look awesome on the screen but sometimes when you are live it isn't that good.

Denton

I bought RTX3080 Suprim, few months ago for like 12500CZK with another 2 years of warranty, it works perfectly, I am using it for ML service pretty much 24/7 and it's completely without a hitch. And it's pretty much silent

*ML stuff still stress the GPU as well as memory (well the way I am using it anyway), so any issues would be noticeable.
**It was also mining card
So, I guess I am picking up that Ti for 15000CZK on wednesday. Gonna have to go to Prague, but whatever. Better than paying 26000CZK for a new one.

Midn1ght

Was the vacations good? I wanted always to visit this countries. Vietnam, Thailand they look awesome on the screen but sometimes when you are live it isn't that good.
I lived there for 11 years so I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer. I absolutely love the country, the food, the culture, the people and especially Saigon (HCMC). The country has some amazing places and beautiful landscape, I'd recommend the mountains of Sapa if you're in the North, and the beautiful Island of Phu Quoc in the South (though with tourism developing at an insane pace, it's not as good as it used to be).

I would recommend anyone to visit the country once but it can definitely be a hit or miss. Big cities are super busy and very noisy and things can get hectic at times, some people get overwhelm and just hate it. Personally I felt in love with the country in 2007 and would go back live there permanently next week if I could (That's the plan for later).

Also, become a real men and drive a bike in Saigon.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So, I guess I am picking up that Ti for 15000CZK on wednesday. Gonna have to go to Prague, but whatever. Better than paying 26000CZK for a new one.
I got card from bazos.cz to dobírka (I am unaware of term for it in English) so I could examine it before paying for it. But if you prefer personal lift, that's obviously up to you : )

Top Bottom