• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gov. Mike Pence won't pardon wrongfully convicted man (Up: Eric Holcomb pardons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The real question is, what's in it for Pence? Nothing? Checkmate.

Maybe a photo-op with a grateful minority family and some good press for doing what is, obviously, the right thing. I mean... The Trump/Pence ticket could use any kind of positive press they can get. The only picture that comes to mind when I think of either of these guys with a POC is Trump wrangling that obviously uncomfortable little girl.

It's almost refreshing, when most politicians throw aside their convictions and say whatever they need to be elected, to have a politician that sticks to what he believes. Pence doesn't give a shit about you and he's gonna stick to that.

Pence seems to be an upstanding politician, no wonder he was picked by Trump.

Seriously, the Republican party needs to burn to the ground. Hopefully, Trump will see to that in spite of himself. But that should have happened in 2008 and 2012 already and for some reason the GOP kept on trucking on...

1200.gif

rjinaz

Maybe a photo-op with a grateful minority family and some good press for doing what is, obviously, the right thing. I mean... The Trump/Pence ticket could use any kind of positive press they can get. The only picture that comes to mind when I think of either of these guys with a POC is Trump wrangling that obviously uncomfortable little girl.

It's almost refreshing, when most politicians throw aside their convictions and say whatever they need to be elected, to have a politician that sticks to what he believes. Pence doesn't give a shit about you and he's gonna stick to that.

Yup. there is no gain here. If this was a White Christian, the pardon would have been given yesterday. Who can honestly think otherwise. Nothing to gain so no point. Politics are disgusting. I hope he loses the little Black votes he and Trump was going to get this election, over this.

Piggus

Pence seems to be an upstanding politician, no wonder he was picked by Trump.

Seriously, the Republican party needs to burn to the ground. Hopefully, Trump will see to that in spite of himself. But that should have happened in 2008 and 2012 already and for some reason the GOP kept on trucking on...

The GOP keeps trucking on because our dumbshit generation won't vote in the midterm elections. We'd make a lot of progress against these assholes if young people weren't so stupid and lazy when it actually matters.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Republicans. That's why.

Yep. Removing Mr. Cooper's conviction from his records would enable him to freely vote again, so of course Pence is opposed to it, especially in a presidential election year. And thanks to the interpretation found in Richardson v. Ramirez, it's completely constitutional for a person with a felony conviction on their records to be legally disenfranchised.

harSon

Banned
I can't remember the last time I've clicked on a wrongful conviction article and the person in question wasn't black

That's still terrible. People should still be able to vote while still IN prison.

Nah, generally speaking, if you've broken the law some rights should be forfeit and voting is as good as any. You should totally get them back when you get out of prison though, or at least after the parole period. I know there are a lot of people in prison who aren't a danger to society and probably don't belong there, but there are a lot of people in prison who absolutely shouldn't have a say in the policy making of the country.

whitehawk

Banned
Nah, generally speaking, if you've broken the law some rights should be forfeit and voting is as good as any. You should totally get them back when you get out of prison though, or at least after the parole period. I know there are a lot of people in prison who aren't a danger to society and probably don't belong there, but there are a lot of people in prison who absolutely shouldn't have a say in the policy making of the country.
That's an argument against democracy, which while valid, is a completely different argument.

Everyone should have the right to vote.

That's an argument against democracy, which while valid, is a completely different argument.

Everyone should have the right to vote.

Everyone does have the right, it just gets rescinded in the event of breaking the societal contract of not commiting crimes. It's a harsh punishment but thems the breaks. I agree however that it is too harsh as it is now. You do the time, then you should be reformed and get your rights back is how the system SHOULD work. Not having it follow you forever.

LiK

However, the Pence administration does not see this as proof that Cooper’s only option to have his conviction thrown out is the governor’s pardon.

What else do they need? The victim to rise from the grave and tell them what happened? What a POS human being. I hope Pence is destroyed in the VP debate.

Pence, like Trump, is an awful human being and we will be better off when they both pass away. Until then I wish nothing but the worst for him in his life.

HvySky

He's not keeping him imprisoned, Cooper has been released. What he has been petitioning for is removing the conviction off his record. So long as it stays there he faces a lot of penalties for being a felon, which isn't fair because he provedly didn't do what he was convicted of. Regardless it's still a very shitty move.

Whoops, I must have misread the article. My terrible reading comprehension aside, it's still a ridiculous situation and Pence has no (good) reason to do it.

teiresias

I'm not sure I quite get why the judicial system itself can't get his conviction expunged. If it really can't that's as horrible a situation as Pence's decision quite frankly.

The IndyStar has been hammering Pence on this for weeks if not months. It's totally ridiculous and he should be ashamed of himself.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mike Pence is a piece of shit.

I'm not sure this is actually proof of that. Sounds like the guy is supposed to go to court to have the conviction overturned, rather than seek a pardon.
The courts don't own your personal records. All your documents- address, legal name, licenses, birth records, criminal proceedings, etc, are handled by executive departments. The only person with the authority to remove any records from most of these documents is typically the chief executive.

Montresor

Someone who has any felony (even if they're out of jail) can't vote?

I find that shocking. But at the same time I should've already known this...

What is the rationale behind limiting a felon's ability to vote?

Why is their ability to vote taken away? What about their right to exercise freedom of speech? Own a firearm? Pursuit of happiness? Kind of ridiculous.

Rembrandt

Banned

Why is their ability to vote taken away? What about their right to exercise freedom of speech? Own a firearm? Pursuit of happiness?

You can in a lot of states but they do a really great job at not telling people that.

And it takes out a decent amount of minority votes.

egruntz

shelaughz

Why is their ability to vote taken away? What about their right to exercise freedom of speech? Own a firearm? Pursuit of happiness? Kind of ridiculous.

IMO it's not that difficult to understand the line of thinking.

Serious criminals that are a detriment to society should not have any say in what direction society goes.

There should obviously be exceptions and restrictions in place, but I don't see how it's that shocking that a state strips a criminal's voting privileges for X amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom